the Rift

Tomorrow never comes until its too late..

Geneva Posts: 7
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15'3 Hands :: 3 years old
Amanda

The morning was still bright and early when Geneva arrived. The bay colored mare with black mane and tail swept in to the threshold with curiosity and excitement as it was a land she had not been in before. Along with her black muzzle she had black socks that went up to the knees and hocks of her leg and from the tip of her nose to about a quarter the way up her face was black until it faded into her coppery red color. Geneva was the curious kind of soul with a touch of sass. She had no filter when it came to her mind and mouth and generally spoke first and thought later depending on the situation. It was a curse she had. Most of the time it was kept under control as she stayed silent, but there were times it couldn't be helped. It depended on the intelligence level of someone she spoke to. She hated stupid. In fact, Geneva was sure she was allergic to it because she swore her lack of filter was a reaction. Regardless, Geneva was kind and respectful ninety-nine percent of the time. The last one percent was reserved for the stupid she came across.

As Geneva strode through the forest grove she had found herself in she followed her nose that was locked on a breeze. Geneva sensed the breeze was coming through a clearing into a meadow or field of some kind so she followed it until something about her environment changed. The scent of other horses and horse like creatures was strong in this place. It was evident that the threshold had little to hide and was always abundant with life with the signs of hooves and droppings scattered about in places. Geneva was relieved she wouldn't be alone at least. These last days of her traveling was some of the loneliest she had been on for a while. The only beings she ever spoke to was the birds and even they were off doing their own thing. So to loneliness she devoted her time until it came to pass that she was no longer alone.

As Geneva reached the opening within the forest grove a smile spread across her blackened muzzle. It was nice to see the sunshine in the morning, especially when it was warming. Now that it was warming up much more it would mean the days would be much hotter. Finding places for shade during mid-day would be especially important. Finishing her walk and coming to the center of the opening Geneva took a pause to look around. Not a single horse was nearby that she could see, smell, or hear for the time being. With the scents so strong, she was sure that there had been at least someone here recently. This was the place she could find a herd to be in after all through claiming. She never liked the idea of being "claimed" but that was how the horse world worked and it was something she had accepted over time. Not only did being claimed bring her protection, it also brought particular freedoms she would not have had if she were unclaimed. It was something back and forth she always went on before joining a new herd. Call it an inner conflict of wills and desires. While she questioned the methods of certain herds, she never did so to disobey or betray. She tested to see if they were sound. Once they were then the matter was settled.

Deciding not to sit in the silence anymore, Geneva let out a little nicker at first and then a whinny to see if anyone was within earshot.

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
The entrance to Helovia was not a land Amaris was fond of, but she attended it anyway. It was not a task so much as a desire to ensure any who walked through the gateway into the greater expanse of lands did so safely, with their lives still firmly intact. It was something of a concern that the Threshold was a land almost any type of creature could wander in, prey and predator alike - (perhaps I should look at myself before coming to such conclusions, she thought with a note of wry amusement) - and since most equid based souls who wandered here were in the prey category, they would be prone to those in the predator category. Her last interaction with various pegasi, unicorn and a tiger flashed fresh through her mind as the thoughts trickled past her mind's eye, and she diligently pressed onwards, scouting the area for prey or predator alike - she was uniquely blessed (or cursed?) to be a part of both categories herself, and having recently experienced a vast 'upgrade' to her magical abilities, felt confident that she would be able to tackle most dangers she might wander across (or otherwise make a hasty retreat with the cover of dragonfire and flight).

Her ears perked atop her tiara as her footsteps faltered a moment, catching the sound of another within the vicinity. Amaris had landed not long ago, having completed several surveys of the land, but it was difficult with the thickened canopy of the Threshold and sparsely assorted clearings (making it all the more susceptible to threats and dangers). Dramyrth continued his observation from above, lazily gliding on the breeze, his golden body glistening in the sunlight. It was the wrong time of day for a predator to make a move, surely, but then a dehydrated prey was an easier one to capture and make a feast out of. The call of the mare she had heard did not sound under duress or frightened; rather, it was more of a summons, an invitation to attend them, to greet them. Amaris smiled, pleased to hear it - then she hesitated, for one such as herself was often a surprising sight to newcomers entering lands of magics and Gods such as Helovia. The dragonmare didn't want a newcomers' first impression of the lands to be negative or terrified.. But she also wanted to ensure that those newcomers did enter safely and were given the information they needed to survive Helovia.

Swallowing her doubts, she pressed onwards, letting loose a soft returning call - it was a mixture of an equine whicker and a lilting dragonic song, a gentle caress of one's ears. A soft, kind smile was upon her maw as she rounded the bend of trees and beheld the bay mare, her golden gaze drinking all the information she could from her swift, discerning glance. The mare appeared unharmed and almost expectant, like she knew where she was travelling and that she summoned Helovian natives to herself intentionally. It was curious, to Amaris at least, though she didn't have many experiences here to go by. "Hello," the dragonmare offered politely, pausing her steps several strides away, ensuring her posture was relaxed and calm, hoping her body language effectively communicated the fact that she did not mean any harm. "Welcome to Helovia," she added, gesturing to the lands they both stood upon. "I am Amaris, of the herd named the World's Edge. That's Dramyrth," she introduced herself and her companion with a widening grin, as the golden dragon trilled a colourful song from the perch he had taken in the trees above. No fire, she warned him hastily, as he was wont to show off his various breaths, or ice! she added, though the command was given with loving amusement through their bond.

"What brings you to these lands?"

OOC:
@Geneva Welcome to Helovia!
I'm Whit C: Feel free to poke me if I can be of help to you, but Amaris will explain most things IC (assuming Geneva doesn't run away scared haha!).
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Outcast
Amanda

Geneva didn't know what would be in store for her as she waited, the silence tricking her nerves sometimes from phantom sounds and sights. Even though it was broad daylight Geneva was still vulnerable to predators that might be lurking in the area. With so many scents of other equines of various types, what predator would not want to avoid this area? Of course it could be because the horses never stayed here for long and kept moving making them a much harder target to become. With this, Geneva remained cautious as she had been here for a while now rather than moved on so she only hoped that someone would find her soon.

Geneva was not the kind to scare easy unless there was real danger around her or threatening her. Predators were one thing. Someone else and their features were another. As another nicker replied to her own, Geneva turned her head with interest to the location of the sound and noted it had different tones to it. It wasn't a horse nicker though it resembled it. What was the additional tones to the call? Why did it not sound like horse? Geneva tried to formulate the image in her mind as to what the horse like creature could be, imagining that it was probably part horse and part something else. Or it was a predator that had adapted to this area and decided since Geneva was here so long to return the call and mimic the sound. Remaining aware and guarded Geneva waited to see who would clear the tree line.

A flash of gold and silver reflected through the trees indicating it was coming for her, and a creature flashing of gold was in the sky. Geneva watched out of her peripheral the thing in the sky while keeping her gaze at the being in front of her as it cleared the tree line. The body was horse of a shimmering silver color and an amber champagne gold scales and wings growing from her body. Her tail was long and hairy that held a scythe at the end. Geneva was in shock! Never before had she seen such a creature as it strode to her with grace and confidence, signs that she lived here a long time on these lands even if not in this particular area. The horse-like creature spoke to her and it took a second for Geneva to snap out of her staring in awe.

"H-hi. What are you?" Geneva said. Straight to the point. Not intentionally but her shock and awe sort of made it slip through her mind. The horse-like creature spoke soft and gentle tones indicating she meant no harm even as she introduced her dragon as it floated down from the sky shimmering in gold and chirping at her with its draconic voice. "You're part dragon?" Geneva asked as she could see the wings between the two of them were similar. If this kind of hybrid was here on these lands, surely there were others. Geneva was growing more curious and relaxed the more she thought of it and gazed over the body of the hybrid. "It's beautiful!" Geneva said in a soft whisper, finally able to grasp at her courage.

OOC: @Amaris Awesome! Great to meet you :D I'm curious about how often magic contests and things occur, because it looks so cool to have on the site!

amaris
The dragonmare was used to staring - it was often one of the first reactions new acquaintances did, as they absorbed all that she appeared to be. She didn't mind the looking, the ones who stared the longest usually came to the conclusion that she was at heart, a benevolent being, with kindness in her soul and only a desire to do right by her herd and her friends guiding her actions. Others saw her for her draconic inclinations, seeing only scales and dragons and predators when looked at her, but this reaction was becoming increasingly more common - Amaris merely smiled as the mare seemingly missed most of her words, her question, diving straight to the heart of the matter - what are you?

But before she could even craft her answer, the mare had already supplied her answer, and her judgement of that fact. Dramyrth chortled again, a curious sound tinkling from the treetops above - naturally, he agreed with this mare's assessment of his bonded's beauty, there certainly wasn't another like her in Helovia (and even her twin sister didn't hold nearly the same allure as Amaris' golden scales, in his obviously biased opinion). With amusement glittering behind the golden pools of her eyes, the dragonmare dipped her tiara in acknowledgement and agreement, finally finding her voice again. Smooth, honey-warm tones sounded, as she confirmed the mare's suspicions.

"Aye, dragonsblood flows through my veins," (she didn't mention the part where her blood was silver), "curtesy of my father, who was the same hybrid of species. I am the only one (that I know of) within these lands now." She spoke with warmth and genuine happiness filling her tones, giving them a pleasant flavour. "I'm glad I didn't startle you - not everyone agrees with your kind assessment," she winked playfully, her posture relaxing as she grew more comfortable being with the mare. Amaris was never one to enjoy crowds, a nice, polite, one-on-one conversation was much closer to her comfort zone. "Might I be further blessed with the knowledge of your name, and your reasons for venturing here?" she asked, her smile never wavering, her curiosity pushing her to repeat the questions she asked before, though not truly minding if they weren't ever answered, as long as this kind creature made it through the Threshold safely.

OOC:
@Geneva
I'll direct you to the FAQ page, particularly the questions:
What is a "Random Event"? and
How do I get magic/companions/amulets?
With these in mind, every season there will be roughly 2 or so random 'Drops' of magic or companions, which you respond to IC, and complete whatever the Random Event (or RE) directs you to do in order to qualify for its magic. This is done alongside others who will post there, and then all the names are assigned random numbers, where admin will then use a random shuffler to select one name to 'win' the magic of that Drop. If you don't win, don't worry, you are earned one 'VOTG roll', which means you get to add your name in a second time at the next drop you attend (for the same kind of magic).
I'll throw in another link for good measure, this time to the Magic page of the Guidebook, that goes into more detail on how magic is obtained on the site, including but not limited to the magic drops I described above. C:
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Outcast
Amanda

Geneva had realized she had stared for too long and quickly focused on regaining her composure. Amaris winked playfully at Geneva and mentioned others would not agree to her compliment. Geneva looked confused. Why not? she thought to herself, but she allowed it to pass by as figuring that out was not why she was here. Geneva was here on a more important mission per say at the moment; finding a herd to belong to. While she didn't mind being alone for a long time - and now knowing she as possibly the only normal looking horse here - it would be nice to finally belong to a herd again and talk to others like herself. Wanderlust could only satisfy for so long.

Amaris had also said that her father passed down the dragon genes to her which made her wonder if her father was a dragon? The sheer thought of how that all worked startled her in her head but she said nothing. As a normal horse that she was, it was hard to imagine that any other creature could create new life with a horse. There was a lot of physics and challenges involved outside of the normal way things work so to try and imagine it gave her a slight headache. Plus - it was much too sensitive to even consider asking. Regardless of how it worked, the results were stunning. "I am Geneva, from lands very far east of here. I developed wanderlust and did some exploring and now I am ready to settle again." Geneva said with a respectful bow. "You said you were of the World's Edge? Do all horses like you give names to their herds? My heard leader never did such things." Geneva asked with curiosity. It was true that in the lands back where she was from horses never gave their herds names or titles, but would rather call it Stormcloud's Herd, or whatever the leaders name was. To hear actual names for each herd was surprising and very unique in her mind.

Geneva continued to watch the pair in hopes that her answer was satisfactory to Amaris. She was curious about her own herd too and wanting to know what kind of alignment it was, considering there were good herds and dark herds. Knowing there were horses with wings too, Geneva was curious if there were herds for each species or if they were mixed. Were other horses dragon hybrids also like Amaris? But then again she was the only one that she was aware of that existed, so no that could not be possible. But perhaps there were Pegasus like she had heard stories of and Unicorns, things only dreams could create. "What is the World's Edge like? And World's Edge... sounds like it might be on the edge of the world? Or a coastline? A place where the land ends." Geneva asked.

OOC: @Amaris I read them all! Sounds like a fun and challenging event for sure! I'll definitely keep my eyes out for the next one.

amaris
The dragonmare listened to the mare's story, to the hint of her origin she gave, and crafted her own phantasmal imagery of lands Geneva was from, the customs she was used to, the epic journeys she had been on. It seemed the mare was unfamiliar with the structure that Helovian herds existed upon - Amaris had not known anything else, and so it was Geneva's way of thinking that caused her some confusion. But, had her mother not lived in a family group, led by Amaris' grandparents? They had been purely familial in nature, all of them related in some way or another - the only breeding pair had indeed been her grandparents, and they were more a family of wanderers than a true herd. That was before the grandparents lives ended, before the remaining siblings then split, and travelled the world, eventually arriving at Helovia.

"Helovia's herds are a bit different to those you might be used to," the dragonmare began, unsure of how to explain it, but deciding that if she gave all of the information she could, Geneva could at least get a good idea of how it all worked. "Helovia is a vast realm, made up of separate lands and deities. There are four gods," (at least, four we recognise at the moment..) "One for Time, one for the Sun, one for the Moon and one for the Earth. They are siblings, and each of them had a hand in building Helovia for mortals to reside within. Until recently they each sanctioned a herdland, where herds who work more on a government system reside. Stallions and mare, unicorns, pegasus, equine and hybrids alike, all reside there - though there are certainly others who choose to dwell separate to the added safety of the herdlands." She hoped she was sufficiently explaining things, in such a way that wasn't too overwhelming.

"Recent events, an intrusion of another powerful entity, caused the God of the Earth to remove his herdland from being able to sustain a herd, however, so all that remains in the Aurora Basin, in the north, sanctioned by the God of Time, the World's Edge, to the west, sanctioned by the Goddess of the Moon, and the Dragon's Throat, to the south, sanctioned by the God of the Sun." She paused once more, assessing how she should continue. "Each land has its quirks, and runs mostly the same, with a sovereign pair of leaders guiding their followers in various crafts and politics. I am Philosopher myself, I seek learn and share knowledge, to better understand this world, how it works, why it works that way. But here are so many different opportunities available to any who seek to join a herd, whether they wish to create goods for trading, or to learn ways of combat to better protect their kin, or the more subtle path of sleuthing, information garnering - all in the interest of ensuring the herd's ongoing survival in this capricious world."

Here, the dragonmare laughed a gentle, musical note as Geneva summed up the description of the World's Edge quite succinctly. "You're not far off - the World's Edge was carved into the lands our Goddess' wind magic, it is a nation that rises high over the coastline and overlooks the ocean, and is draped in misty forests to preserve the illusion of constant twilight. The Moon shines brightest at night-time after all," she gave another soft wink to the mare. She waited then, knowing she had divulged a lot of information at once, and not really wanting to overwhelm the mare further. But, there wasn't really a way not to continue on, for Amaris liked the mare, and wanted to see her succeed and grow - perhaps, as a fellow herdmate?

"You would be welcome at the World's Edge, if you so desired to venture there. Whilst I hold no rank that can officially accept you, if you wanted to accompany me home, I would ensure your safety, and put in a good word for you to those with greater influence than myself."

OOC: @Geneva
SORRY FOR ALL THE TALKING LOL
Helovia is loads of fun (and beware: addicting too!) can't wait to see you around more C:
Brush Credit
I like being tagged!

Outcast
Amanda

The bay colored mare intently listened as Amaris went on to speak about how the world worked, the gods and goddesses, and the events that took place that made life the way it was currently here. "I remember the stories of the Gods and how there are now only four. I didn't know of the details until now. Interesting how that occurred.." Geneva said softly as she pondered on the events. "Why did such an entity cause such calamity?" Geneva asked Amaris, wondering if she knew the answer. It wouldn't be an issue if she didn't however.

Geneva didn't mind the talking that Amaris did. In fact, she was rather enjoying it. She had gone days without speaking to anyone else so it was nice for a change to have silence be replaced by a pleasant voice of another. Geneva's tail swished from side to side occasionally as she continued to listen, allowing her imagination to take off in the description of the World's End and how it was made. To see the wind magic carved the rock and rise it up above the ocean surf as the water crashed against its rocky surface was all too exciting of an experience. Geneva wished deep down that she had been there for that. The thought of magic and things that a mortal mind couldn't comprehend was exhilarating.

Amaris then said that she could take her to the herd. While Amaris couldn't accept her here since she was not of rank, she could put in a good word for Geneva. This was comforting to the bay colored mare. Geneva already was enjoying the conversation with Amaris, and now she was invited to go to the land that was carved from rock and surf. Geneva smiled broadly. "I would be more than honored to come with you. Even if I were not welcomed, just to see the sight of the land that was carved from stone would make my day." Geneva said excitedly.

OOC: @Amaris Sorry low muse tonight. Internet just got repaired.

amaris
The dragonmare was grateful to the mare for her attentiveness. Her life seemed to be waves of various interactions - some where she was completely ignored, her presence unnoticed, unimportant, others where she was too central, too prominent and awkward, and others again, like this occasion, where she found a kind soul who looked past her oddities and instead revelled in the conversation they weaved together. Though the golden mare was concerned that she was giving too much information at once, she appreciated that Geneva asked questions where she wanted more information, and otherwise silently processed and accepted everything else.

"I'm not completely sure," Amaris spoke honestly in response to the bay mare's query. "Helovia is a land of change, the Gods enact this change through various means. I think they created, or maybe inadvertently summoned this entity, this creature, during one of these changes.. Kaos is the name I am told it goes by, and I have witnessed some of its peculiarities myself recently - though nothing that lets me decide for a certainty whether it is benevolent or not. I truly do not know what to think of it, only that like all things apparently immortal, it should be treated with caution."

She watched as the other mare pondered her offer, attempting to hide the hope that swelled within her that the mare would accept, at least, to explore the lands. Dramyrth chortled another amused tune from his perch in the treetops above, something to effect of of course she'll accept, which Amaris merely mentally huffed in reply. But before anything else could be thought of or done, Geneva's face broke into a pleased grin, and the dragonmare heard the words of acceptance fall from her lips. The dragonmare's lips curved into an equally please smile, delight illuminating her golden eyes as she happily replied to the mare, "Wonderful! It's a bit of a trek, but we'll get there." Gesturing for the bay mare to follow her, Amaris turned, inviting her to walk alongside her so that they may continue their conversation.

"Please, feel free to ask me anything you like, and I'll do my best to answer you. But I'd also love to hear about your life, your birthlands, if you would oblige - I'm a bit of a hoarder of lore and histories of all lands, and welcome a new tale at every opportunity…"

ooc: @Geneva
We can end this thread here <3 I'll post to the Updates board for Geneva's rank to be changed to Outcast so she can post to the Edge borders, and set up a thread there (I'll tag you) so someone can officially accept her ^^
Brush Credit
I like being tagged!

Outcast
Amanda

Geneva liked having this discussion, even though it was brief, with Amaris. It had been a while since she had any sort of discussion pondering the why's and how's of things with anyone so for her it was refreshing. Especially when it had to do with the history of the land. Geneva listened as the dragon-mare talked about this Kaos thing and how it might have been created on accident. It was all interesting and would have to be determined another time.

Geneva smiled as the dragon-mare became excited at the acceptance to her offer. In a way, it made Geneva excited too. The bay mare pranced in place a little bit as the prospects of moving out of this area got her excitement going. She had been here for a while and was happy they would be leaving soon. She could only tolerate the silence and loneliness for so long. Geneva chuckled as Amaris wished to learn more about her lands, where she came from, and generally more about her.

"Oh, I am sure you may get bored with everything, but there is a lot to my story. I would have no problems sharing with you!"[/b] Geneva said as she followed the dragon-mare and watched her dragon friend flying above. A dragon for a pet. How interesting was that? If she were to see any of her family back home and tell them all she had seen, Geneva was sure none would believe her. She began her story with where her herd resided and who here parents were as they walked to the World's Edge. Geneva couldn't wait to see what this new home was like.

--End--

OOC: @Amaris Sounds wonderful!