the Rift

[OPEN] sign of the times [welcoming!]

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
It had been some time since the dragonmare had made the journey on foot to the Edge. The last time had not quite been the width of Helovia, though it wasn't far off. That time, she had pushed herself to her ultimate limit, exhausted herself to the point where her wings would not, could not carry her anymore. The memory was still fresh in her mind - it had only been at the turn of the season that she had returned, the warmth of TallSun was settling over the lands, her mind had been thick with worry for her companion, her cousin, her family..

But it was different now. Now, she walked with a new companion, a new friend, a comrade, a potential herdmate. Perhaps one day, the dragonmare might earn enough rank to accept willing newcomers into the herd herself - for now, she would settle for being their guide, their welcomer, their doorway into the realm of Helovia and the Edge.

The lands changed as they walked, first around the edge of the Deep Forest (a realm that held very profound meaning for the dragonmare's ancestors), through the broad lands of the Thistle Meadow, before curving slightly North. The seasons were changing, the leaves of TallSun were beginning to turn, to loosen their grips on the branches that held them aloft. Dramyrth flew through one such branch, and flurry of leaves followed he descent as he dove to the level of the equines below, trilling a happy song all the while.

Amaris happily answered any questions Geneva had (as best she could, anyway), as their journey wound to a close, however, she slowed her step, gazing at the curling mists that marked the edge of her home. "We're close," she spoke softly, and though there was no need to whisper, she wanted to set a scene, create a mood that would enthral the newcomer. Geneva had willingly followed her here, a newcomer, a stranger, and she hoped to give the mare a good impression, not only of herself, but the lands she represented.

For now, the Edge seemed like a looming forest draped in twilight and mist, an ocean breeze tickled at one's mane and tail threads, a cool sensation against skin warmed by exercise and summer sun. They halted at the gateway, Amaris eyeing the ominous spikes that rimmed the lands carefully. Those of rank had the power to raise and lower the spikes, a recent development, as far as the dragonmare understood it. "We'll wait here," she murmured, resting a leg after she let loose a gentle call into the mists, a summons, a request for attention by one of rank, her call a melodic hum of dragon and equine (accompanied by Dramyrth, of course). "Someone should be along soon," she added, with a smile softening her features, as she looked upon the mare before her, wondering what thoughts trickled through her mind.

ooc:
@Geneva
Welcoming thread for Geneva! If someone of rank could post after she has to accept her that would be fantabulous! Any and all of course welcome to join in and say hello~
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Geneva Posts: 7
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15'3 Hands :: 3 years old
Amanda

Sorry for the late reply. Here we go!

Since leaving the threshold, Geneva had covered the stories of her family and what her herd was like, the lands she came from and how the forests she lived in held trees that were almost as tall as mountain, and even some of the adventures and tragic times she had been through. It was no different than any other horse or dragon-mare, unicorn, or Pegasus that had been through. The only difference was that she had been more isolated than some of the bigger herds that existed like World's Edge so while Geneva was familiar with the stories of unicorns and Pegasi, her reaction was obviously different when she came across Amaris. The dragon pet she had fluttered about and chittled at the arrival of the landscape and Geneva watched it with curiosity, a hush setting about them now making Geneva wonder why.

So far, Geneva had little reason to not trust Amaris. She had been quite kind and polite. In the past, Geneva had hardly met anyone else and others didn't seek out their herd often. It was friends and family that had come together and decided they would survive on their own away from any others. Why that was she would never know. While her herd lived on the sidelines of the land and away from everything else, it was still a good life. She had her close friendships there as well as the ties with her family and only occasionally did a horse leave to never return. At that time, she never thought she would be one of them to leave because she had everything she needed. Except she never was satisfied. There was always a hole that needed to be filled that overtime Geneva realized could not be filled with her herd. Her family may have swallowed it down and decided to ignore it, but Geneva couldn't. Something within her wouldn't allow it the older she got. Now that she was here, that void had begun to fill and meeting Amaris had started it.

The two continued to walk from the threshold to where this World's Edge herd was. Amaris was answering her questions and Geneva was telling her story. She had finally gotten to the end of it and the two had begun talking about various things. All the while Geneva was watching the landscape change and eyeing the wings Amaris had. What would it be like to fly? She often thought to herself as the two walked. After leaving a forest, the two reached a meadow and then headed north. While she knew not the names of these two places, the scents would forever be imprinted in her mind. Geneva wished that once she got settled that she would return to the meadow on a warmer season to visit it in its glory. It seemed like it would be beautiful when the weather was the brightest and warmest. Amaris had begun to slow now and it caught Geneva's attention. "We're close.." she heard Amaris speak softly, so Geneva also slowed her step and became more aware of her surroundings now. A dark mass was appearing before them and Geneva eyed with interest. The air was cold and moist here as a dense fog slithered its way past the two horses.

The land was surrounded in fog and before them stood a dense forest. The mist forked its way through the trees as the twilight added a touch of mysticism and eeriness to the appearance. With the ocean smell and mist moistening her mane and body, she examined what she sw in front of her. Spikes pointed at them to prevent those from entering and she looked on in awe. How would those be moved to enter the World's Edge? Geneva wanted to go up and see what they were made of as the mist made it hard to tell from here (since they were back from it a little ways), but she opted to not move and follow instructions from Amaris. Thoughts rolled through her head about potential scenarios both good and bad, but none that ever gained her attention for longer than mere moments. Geneva would admit she was nervous, but not so much or afraid to turn back and run. She simply let them float on by as Amaris told her that someone would be here soon after she let a dragon like call out. Geneva would never get used to that for some time still. The bay mare allowed her gaze to go from the base of the tree, to the top, and surrounding as she looked around curiously.

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
With great unease and a tingling sense of self-doubt mixed with a small ball of excitement, Sacre had regretfully let go of his healing magic, his role as Doctor, embracing something entirely different and yet, oddly the same. He took some refuge in self-indulgent pride that he had impressed enough to be thought of so highly and he still smiled when he replayed Tembovu’s words in his mind, he even had an extra skip in his step and a smile often bubbling on his lips ready to burst into a youthful euphoria. Yet, today, as he reached the cliff tops with the sun setting in the distance, his strange bemusement left him and the weight of it all suddenly came crashing down. There was a sadness that had lingered with him, he no longer had the power to heal, it seemed he was not destined to serve as a healer for as long as his father had, even though a small part of him still wished he could do both. If only the fox-boy could split himself in two. Alas, he had given up his role, hoping dearly that his leaders had chosen well, that this was where he would be most useful and helpful to this large mist-dwelling family he had grown so fond of.

Still, sometimes he wondered, what kind of advice he might give? What if he couldn’t come up with anything? Who would advise the advisor? Dragging himself away from the cliffs, he began to pace back into the woods, towards the wall and the gate. He wasn’t really paying much attention to where he was going, his mind was elsewhere, going through the ifs and buts and the maybes. Inari and Ríona had bounded off in front, ignoring their brooding friend in favour of hunting some late evening prey as by the time Sacre came within the vicinity of the gate the sun had descended into a twilight fever. His thoughts were only broken by the sudden intrusion of Inari inside his head causing the fox-boys blue eyes to snap sharply up.

Horses outside the red vulpine sent and soon after, the fox-boy heard the strange equine, yet almost reptilian, sounding call drift into his mismatched ears.

Stifling a curse, Sacre altered his course and increased his pace, peering through the mist until he could make out the lunar carvings on the iron gate. He pushed it open, leaving the marked borders of the Worlds Edge that were, as always, lined with glass spikes that never failed to make the fox-boy grimace. It wasn’t so much a welcome sign than it was a get lost sign, or so Sacre had always thought when he looked at the sharp points that looked eager to cut up some poor soul. The fact that its purpose was to look uninviting was entirely lost on one dear red-eared boy. 

Now flanked by two rather bouncy foxes, the Emissary made his way towards the two mares who lingered nearby, one of which Sacre recognised vaguely from their herd, but he didn’t know who the dragon hybrid was despite her impressive appearance that nagged at his curiosity. The other bay girl was completely foreign to him, but he smiled easily at both, almost as if he was greeting two friends as his face lit up with a boyish grin whilst he nodded to both “hey,” he began simply “who do we have here?” his young voice was light and kindly as he peered at them through the dim light. 

“I’m Sacre, perhaps I can help?” he asked finally with two beady eyed foxes gawking at their company from behind his dark forelegs.
... and then the sea swept in and left us all speechless

image credits

@Amaris & @Geneva ~~ Hi! I'm imi! Welcome to the Worlds Edge! <3 :D

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
As the moment trickled by, as they inevitably did, insecurities arose within the mare. What if she had just led a malevolent soul across the lands, to her homeland? What if she had just invited an enemy, a tyrant, a monster to dwell within her family group? What if she had made a terrible, grievous error in extending her invitation and proffering all the information she held (well, perhaps not all of it) to a perfect stranger, only to be let down, led down a path of ruin, of destruction, horror, terror?

You are so dramatic, came the dry comment from her companion, as he studied his bonded's thoughts and emotions with almost a bored air. He had seemingly judged Geneva the same as Amaris' initial judgement, and not wavered - he was not naturally inclined to feeling insecurities of his own, he trusted that his view on the world around him was accurate (until proven otherwise).

It never hurts to fear complacency, she retorted softly through her bond, a bit hurt at the abruptness her own bonded shut down her feelings, but also grateful, for she knew her thoughts sometimes led her down paths of foolish reverie, inventing scenarios that would never come to pass. The dragonmare was brought back to the present moment easily, her smile never faltering, her ears pricked with anticipation.

They did not have to wait long for one of rank to make their way past, Amaris wondered how they found the time to do everything expected of them - whilst her mother was queen, she had done her best to make time for everyone in the herd, no matter how new or old a member they were, though she did not succeed at all times. Ears pricked forwards as footsteps announced a nearing body, a steed of crimson and obsidian, with a smiling face and vulpine friends at foot. Dramyrth stayed on his high perch in the skies, cooing a gentle yet somewhat cautious greeting - he was reserving judgement on these particular beings for now - circling the growing group on lazy wingbeats.

"Hello Sacre," Amaris intoned, recognising him as the new Emissary promoted at the recent herd meeting. "I am Amaris, a Philosopher of the Edge, I don't believe we've officially met," she offered kindly, a warm smile and bright eyes framing her words. "I've brought my newest friend here from the Threshold, she is interested in taking up residence within the Edge - but I'll let her tell you the rest!" she spoke happily, bowing her tiara and gesturing for the bay mare to step in and introduce herself and her intentions.

Was it a test, an examination, an assessment that the mare had to complete before being granted entrance to the herd? Perhaps, of a sort - there was no real way to fail the test, aside from perhaps attempting to murder one's tour guide or gate guardian, but it was an opportunity for the new mare to tell the Edge who she was, what she could contribute, or at least that she wanted to contribute in some way to the herd.

ooc:
@Geneva @Sacre
:D
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Geneva Posts: 7
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15'3 Hands :: 3 years old
Amanda

Lost internet for over a week. Back and operational now! @Amaris @Sacre

Geneva waited patiently besides Amaris wondering what to ask her about the herd, but instead found herself looking around the landscape more. The fog that surrounded the two of them was creepy enough as it was and she wasn't sure if the spiky wall was any less creepy. Geneva decided to go up to it and look at it closer. The wall looked like it was made of stone and shaped in such a way that anyone who tried to beat it down to get past it might get hurt if not sore from trying to break in for a long time. The stone was hard and the carvings in it indicated some serious work had been put into it to make it. Stroking it with her nose she felt it was as smooth as water. It was a surprising invention. She wouldn't have much more time to investigate it as it suddenly began to open with a thud. It startled her so much that she let out a whinny and ran back to Amaris. Surely it would be a funny sight for her, but Geneva tried to play it off cooly with a snort.

As the gate opened from its entrance came a black unicorn with a red horn and two fox companions. Interesting at how the horses here had companions! Geneva wondered why she didn't have one yet and whether or not all the horses in this place had one. If she had a companion it would be a raven she thought. They always said the funniest things when they were in the mood. The black stallion simply let out a "Hey" as he greeted the two of them and she wasn't surprised with this. With a wall like that who would be traditional, elegant sounding, and charming? It was a wall that clearly stated "get the fuck out" in a number of ways. No elegant and charming herd would have something like that would they? Considering she lived out in the boondocks who was to say what each herd was like.

Amaris introduced herself to the stallion, who said his name was Sacre - a name of which she would remember, and then gave the spot light to her. The rest? What was more to tell? Amaris had basically summed up her story without adding all the details, but Geneva figured she would try and say something to it. "I am Geneva, and I come from lands not far from the Threshold. At least where my birth herd roamed, it was away from being aware of most everything in detail. I am familiar with the gods and how things worked around them, but not much else. I'm hoping to change my scenery a bit as my homeland was a bit dull."Geneva said simply as she bowed in respect to Sacre.