the Rift

[PRIVATE] earth, wind and fire [earthy]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

VOLTERRA THE INDOMITABLE

The early evening air is surprisingly and unseasonably chilly. It comes as a blessed relief to the black behemoth, despite how used he now is to the uncomfortably high temperatures in the Dragon's Throat. His skin prickles as the icy wind blasts across it, ruffling his thick mane and bidding a shiver to spread from his nose to the tip of his tail, and he lifts his massive head to sniff at the freshness of the autumn breeze. The fact it's only early Orangemoon and already cold does not bode particularly well for the winter to come, implying that it will be a long and wearing one that will pick off the weak and unprepared; he'll need to ensure the Throat is ready to knuckle down and survive. This does not bother the mammoth man, who has the ideal build for lower temperatures with his great bulk and his copious amounts of hair, and he's sure he can lead his herd by example even as snow suffocates their food and the frigid nights send them fleeing into shelter. It is very ironic that a beast so suited for the cold rules the hottest land in Helovia, but he's long since learned that fate has an odd way of working.

The Veins are a familiar landscape to Volterra now. He knows this livid blue lava well, although he is in a far better state of mind now than he was the last several times he came here. Things are looking up for the beast - he's a practiced warlord now, a mere handful of battles away from truly becoming Indomitable. He has legions of beloved children, a strong herd at his back, and even things with Isopia are starting to brighten. Optimism glows in every heavy step as the titan moves at a collected canter, his breath coming evenly and his hooves hammering out a stacatto upon the hard ground below him. His life might be good at the moment, but it is not perfect. It can always improve. Power already thrums through his veins, but he needs more.

His structure magic has served him well since it came to him as a boy. It's incredibly useful in battle to be able to summon a plateau of stone in order to distract or damage an opponent, yet he can't help but wonder at the majesty that he could still reap if his magic was better. Imagine if he could call upon a pillar of earth that reached above his head in battle, one that could lift him high into the sky so he could launch a downwards blow upon his opponent. Imagine great spikes of earth stabbed into the guts of his foe, annihilating them in a single blow.

That's why he soon finds himself at the altar of his patron God, stood before the crumbling shrine with its glowing blue flowers. His last quest was difficult but satisfying in its completion, and he wonders what the great deity might set him this time. "Father Earth?" he rumbles questioningly to the shrine, nostrils flared to try and pick up the first scent of the massive God.

image by neverr the glorious

Using:

:: Legend Title Nominating Y8 (Volterra) ::
- VOTG Pass

from my records to quest an upgrade to the following from Earthy, from:

:: [ Magic: Earth | Ability to manipulate rock in the ground to create structures that remain attached to the earth ]
:: [ Restrictions | Can only make chest-high structures in battle and the structure will crumble as soon as concentration breaks; can only make one structure per post ]

to:

:: [ Magic: Earth U | Ability to manipulate the ground to create structures that remain attached to the earth ]
:: [ Restrictions | Can make up to 18hh structures in battle and the structure will crumble as soon as concentration breaks; can only make ??? structures per post ]

@Mythical Request

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin
god of the earth
The God came, as he always would whenever he was able, but today he was slow to arrive.

Sleep for the God had been fitful, full of nightmares and whispered reports brought to him by the earth worms and other small bacteria that lingered around him while he slumbered deep under the earth. He was not a creature prone to laziness, but he needed rest just as everyone else did. And lately that was a luxury he rarely could afford himself. Even so, he broke through the shell of the earth with an amiable and paternal smile on his lips. His beard was long, as was the hair sprouting from his earths. Clods of dirt clung to his regal and massive body as he stepped onto the land, breathing a deep breath of clean and fresh air.

"Hello Volterra." He rumbled warmly, folding his massive wings against his flanks but making no attempt to shake any of the lose remnants of dirt and debris from his coat. Lines that indicated his lack of sleep circled his eyes, but he smiled nonetheless and offered the Indomitable his full attention.

"I am surprised to see you again so soon. Did you enjoy your tasks so much last time that you've come to ask for more?" The God chuckled, but of course there was an element of truth to them. Not that the God minded of course. He enjoyed offering tasks to help the Helovian's grow while they sought magic and items and other powers that they thought might fulfill them in ways that normal life never could.

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

VOLTERRA THE INDOMITABLE

It isn't long before that great voice reaches his ears, making even Volterra's deep baritone sound like a foal's shrill squeak. Immediately the beast's head dips into a nod, offering deference and respect to the earthen deity. The gesture is not one he would make to any mere mortal, but the Earth God is far from mortal and he, moreso than anybody else, garners the Indomitable's undying devotion.

The smile that erupted upon his face at the sight of the gigantic tribrid fades somewhat as he notices the man's sleep-deprived face, the lines that he's sure weren't there last time. Volterra is often prone to missing the obvious, but even he gets the impression that the great earthen behemoth is troubled. It is unsurprising; he's lost his herd recently, and must surely be concerned by the activities of Kaos. "Are you well, Father Earth?" Volterra does not think himself so friendly with the God that the brown giant will confide in him, but he asks the question without even considering it. He has noticed a certain sense of one-sidedness when it comes to the mortals' relationship with their Gods - it's always them asking the Gods for help, confiding their problems, begging for their boons. Nobody ever seems to ask the deities how they are feeling, or if they have any problems that they wish to discuss. The liquidation of the Hidden Falls implies that the Gods are not as infallible as they may appear, and that they, too, can fall victim to mortal follies.

No, Volterra certainly doesn't think himself worthy of the Earth God's trust, not even in the greatest depths of his arrogance. He does, however, know that he'd do anything in his power to aid the massive deity in his quest against Kaos, and he hopes that his question will not be misconstrued as prying.

The God's comment brings the grin back to Volterra's white-splashed face. "I would not say I enjoyed all of it - " his face clouds as he remembers his daughter's faux-death, and Valdis' maiming, all creating emotions strong enough to smooth the stone he'd been given, "- but I know it helped me grow, and the reward was most excellent." He's thinking of his newfound ability to shift into a huge three-headed dog, the living embodiment of savagery and his worst, darkest traits. He has christened the three heads based on these aspects of his personality; the left one Lust, the right one Avarice, and the central one Wrath. Yes, the reward for his last quest far outweighed the effort it took to complete it, and he is eager to advance himself further at the Earth God's bidding.

"My first magic, the one I developed when I was a boy. It is my favourite among my powers, yet I cannot help but wonder if it could be improved." He casts his eyes to the side, summoning a small pillar of rock that breaks the crust of the earth and rises to head-height. He holds it for a second, then allows it to crumble to dust. "I was wondering if that was possible? The structures are limited in height...I would rather like to see them dwarf even myself." He glances up at the Earth God, curiosity alight in those ruby eyes of his.

image by neverr the glorious

@Mythical Request

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin
god of the earth
The God does not want to burden Volterra with the goings on of gods, and so instead of answering his question truthfully, the Earth merely smiles and nods his larger head. It is what Father' do for their children after all - they protect them from the worst of the world and all the things that they must endure so that their loved ones can lead a charmed and blissful existence. Although life has not always been easy for Volterra, the God will not add his worries about Kaos to the Indomitable's plate.

"Ahh yes. The ability to mould the earth ... that has always been one of my favourite magics to grant." The God muses, a smile pulling at the corners of his dark lips. "I am sure we can arrange something. I will need a few items from you first, and then we shall see how far your command of the earth will extend." Pausing for a moment, the God searched his mind to figure out just what he would need in order to awaken the magic within Volterra that the ruby-eyed stallion sought for himself.

"Bring me a volcanic piece of rock, a stone from the top of a mountain, and sand from beneath the Endless Blue."