the Rift

[OPEN] Birds of a feather

Noah Posts: 59
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3 :: 3 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Riven
As he sails effortlessly southeast between the mountains (the basin just a meaningless mess of rushing colour beneath), keen eyes spy the the two silhouettes of each enormous, unsettling sentinels, standing guard before the valley; never did their queer, menacing presence affect him any less. Although the wind grows fiercer and all the more untameable the higher the altitude he takes, Noah can not bear to pass close by to the figures, and braves the turbulence until he is clear. Resettling to both a calmer climate and pace as the range gives way to rolling tundra, his chin deviates rearward so that he might find the dove and see if she’s alright; in the air, there are no trees or rocks, nothing with which to collide, and he searches that gaping passage for view of her tiny, avian frame. When contact is made, he smiles cheerfully, elated, thoroughly rejoicing in the vastness of the clean blue sky, and draws higher, so that they might reach the current that the violent wind riding the basin’s walls, wouldn’t allow.

Crisp, cold air spews into hungry lungs as he draws a long, deep, thankful breath. It ruffles the neat pattern of golden feathers and drags playfully at the flowing tides of his silvery, shimmering hair. It dries his eyes, burns them, and forces a defensive glaze of saline to form across them; thick lashes interlock loosely together. It was both intoxicating and invigorating, and he sucked greedy mouthfuls - one and then another.

After time spent just relishing the glory of flight (flicking backward glances here and there to make sure his charge follows safely), Noah shifts his gaze downwards to behold this world called Helovia that holds him captive. Dull, dead-looking tundra falls away into lashing blue ocean on either side, and his heart jerks agonisingly as thought of his island home and family are triggered - though he is tempted (always) to find that frothing western sea and drive home, he cares to deeply for his exotic dove, and holds his blind course in a southeasterly direction. The bolder the distance between him and Nora, and the horned-ones, the more sound he begins to feel. Though he hasn’t passed above this region before, the decoration of rocky hillocks and the sparse speckling of late-summer green across them, reels in his attention. He recalls their first journey easily, the treacherous ( and quite ridiculous), mission by foot which had seen pasterns roll and knees grazed; but he remembers still better the misty, roaring waterfall who tumbled down from a height and the sweet, cool water which had soothed his knotted belly.

They had parted from the Basin early in the day, and already the rich red hue of the ageing afternoon is illuminating the turning earth below - it occurs to him suddenly, that he hasn't given the dove any time to feed all day. Guilt strikes his soul like a neon rod of lighting, and he begins instantly to descend, circling lower and lower, with a grassy glade in sight. The trees grew well enough apart from one another, to accomodate his giant wingspan, and he lands easily and without hiccup; with hooves treading on the soft loamy ground, he moves swiftly from the spot so that Nora too might come down. "I’m so sorry," he calls gingerly - noting with regret that she lags, and gestures to the pasture with the crook of his wing.
Noah
I was born a warrior
I was born a warrior
Image | Coding

@Nora - they are on the northern rim of Hidden Falls
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death
(no need to ask)

Nora Posts: 52
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 3
Angel
Pinnacles of enormous girth claw at the sky – their faces are pale and serrated. Their crowns are topped with grey and cloaked in smoke. Noah leads me beyond the high-rise…and as we pass from that sheltered arena of evergreen into a bleaker, greyer reality...my immersion into the facade of comfort and security becomes tarnished once more. I couldn’t help but twinge with a sudden desire to turn abruptly, abandon him and return to the dark hope behind those walls; conceal myself from the world beyond them. Memories of our ascension are blurred, shapeless…I couldn't recognize (no matter the struggle) anything about the mark-less abyss below. Barren, forsaken. Mini me scowls, wearing her disapproval openly while I survey the neighboring territories. At our current height, the wind smarts against my body, tugging warmth from these bones. Legs quiver, reflexively tightening their hold against my belly as these feathers pump, thrusting hard to gain lift.  

Uncertainty sparks, charging up a storm of suppressed afflictions. Warily, I look to the firm, experienced eagle as those bubbles of dread climb into the back of my throat and lodge themselves within the folds. A question spins itself into view, 'what did he want from these lands?' Irises shift, narrowing ahead -- aiming for the imaginary point of his destination (as if it would come into view.) Other notions rise from the murk of insecurity and doubt. Where is leading me? And why? We didn't have the capacity to cross into the subject of where or why he intended to go...but that didn't stop me from wondering...

Why me?

Absently, (dazed) my eyes catch on his wings; a familiar goblet of intrigue drips into the murk. For a single instance he becomes something elevated above that of a moral man...  My subconscious uses that inkling of interest to drive my squelched courage forward, ‘learn from him, you can't hid forever.' There was always a cue to unfurl, to rise above circumstances...but...

Just one step. Learn one thing.

Humoring the notion, I fixate on his powerful arms which (for whatever reason) invoke my inspiration; pouring my concentration on those tiny details. Studying how those feathers yield into the updraft, or how he rode the air with smooth…effortless grace. For the next few hours, my inquisitiveness makes use of our forced silence to study his strokes and mimic (tailor) a few styles. From the spiraling (hawkish manner) he twists, embracing the warmer currents of air; to when those gilded pinions arch into the upswing, expertly plying a fuller thrust and drag. Over time, my stride becomes lengthened; I practice descending and finding that (newly discovered and greatly appreciated) wind-stream alone.

While I'm caught up in those secret lessons, I didn’t notice (at first) the familiar stiffening of worn muscles; nor how the tingling had begun to branch from where meat connects to wither and joints hinge upon both shoulder and breast. Ligaments groan, resenting my demands. These lungs heave, panting for oxygen....“N-noah…” that wispy call is brushed off... my voice is simply too soft for his ears to detect at such a distance.

Left with no perceivable choice but to warm toward the idea of descending alone. These arms gradually slow their driving momentum and drop below that murky cloud cover. Astonishment escapes on the next gasp for air. Oh my! Gone is the barren, bleak scenery...instead, a tangle of foggy, moisture heavy greenery consumes the landscape. These optics widen in their sockets, drinking the change of scenery. I could see the haze of silvery waterfalls in the distance and feel their cumbersomeness greeting of humidity...

Relief splashes over the levy...doubling to a breach when Noah sinks. Minutes later, these ivory pinions have drawn up, arching as they back-paddle and alight my slight frame into the cushioned earth at a thudding canter.

@Noah - Sorry for the wait!

Riven
It’s a strange place, this. Behind him (to both the north and west), lift mountains so tall that their savage peaks lay nestled above a thick swab of powder-white cloud, well beyond sight of the gravity-bound, and even while the sapphire sky elsewhere, stands vivid, crystal clear; their shadow bleeds hither as the reddening sun sinks slowly into the distant horizon. Dim, rocky feet are clad in a delicate rainbow blur of pretty swaying roses.

Trees, most slender and straight (fragments of black lifting up their stark white trunks), gather in bold assembly towards the east, like crows above death - and beyond, the deeper hue of emerald oak foliage, peeks between their body. The shadows therein are thickening, shifting, as the all-encompassing softness of day reaches a harsh and dramatic climax; the air he breaths, touches and feels, is golden.

The wind sings down between rock and crag, spurring leaves and long, colourful grasses to whisper and whistle in chorus; a family of vocal warblers (invisible in their forest castle), throw forth their own rendition and when combined, the background roar of tumbling water seems almost lost to the brazen melody. Amid it all (beneath a flimsy green awning), stands staring, a decorated buck and his more modest harem of four cows, one late-season calf; they are unsure about this feathered pair of interlopers.

All of this, Noah’s fine-tuned senses absorb, for he is on guard.

Already the stallion is skirting the patch. His nostrils pump aggressively against tall, wiry blades, drawing out the faint scent of those who have been; their taste, though pale, ignites a fresh fire of testosterone and his energetic ears work furiously to dissect the ambience. Above all else, Noah searches for the sign of another like the predator fought previously - this time he is ready

Sea-green eyes turn back at last, though only when he is satisfied that this weary dove is safe. A smile tempts the corners of his pastel white lips, while he examines her thoughtfully, post-flight. The guilt still plagues him, scolds the selfish restlessness that saw them so far without rest - the day too grows tired, but as she retires from the journey, he feels a surge of confidence through his core. She is picturesque (more so than before), and his thick breast swells; he feels all too fortunate that she trusts him so.

Though she runs to warm down he saunters nearer, cautiously, quietly, rattling fanned nostrils so that she might hear his presence and not shy (they were after all so far from all that had become familiar). “Nora," he begins, lifting his voice just so while the wind and the birds carry on, “are you ok?“ He has grown fond of the dove, so much so that a frown furrows his brow when he perceives that she might be fatigued.

“We…” Noah thinks deeply, glancing from her to the leaf-littered soil and the dim shadow his tall figure threw down upon it. He wasn’t sure how to suggest it, that they should shelter here for the night… so instead he asks her to, “follow?” ...and drives a gentle, patient course towards that steady, thundering water. Surely he could find her a den. Should she feel the need to pause (certainly he allows her the time), the sun-kissed creature also stops, watches and waits - they are in this together.
Noah
I was born a warrior
I was born a warrior
Image | Coding

@Isopia and @Amaris - you are welcome to join if you are still interested :)

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Noah…

Nora…

Norahh?...

It was a whisper, a hint, a trick of the wind against her ears. The day was descending into afternoon, which would soon descend further into evening, and then twilight, night, midnight…

Amaris had no intention of lingering that long outside the borders of her home, but by the same token she was not in a hurry to move, to return, to leave the comforts of the pocket of lush pasture she had found, and resume what one might call 'normal herd life routine'. It wasn't that she hated her routine, her 'duties', minimal though they were, but she, like everyone else, was well entitled to a break, a moment of respite.

Besides, one of her duties was to think, and she did that no matter where she went, so she wasn't really shirking her duties so much as 'working remotely'.

The wind was playing tricks on her, rustling, rumbling, imitating the sounds of other beings nearby, their voices, their footsteps - and then came the mental note, the interjection from her dragon, not the wind, he said, feathered horses from threshold, he supplied images of the pegasus he saw, recognising their far-less-bloodier frames from the recent foray into the Threshold.

Amaris raised her crown, determining the position of her bonded with a quick thought. Hidden, in a tree, overlooking a neighbouring clearing, she confirmed, before urging her limbs into motion and drifting smoothly towards the area. Her interest was piqued for various reasons, notably she was pleased to know that the pair were alive and well, though she was concerned about the amount of choice they had in deciding where they would reside once safely within Helovia's borders.

Had the gelding who had so swiftly ignored her presence taken them to his home in the north, braved the potentially treacherous weather with weakened followers and immersed them into his herd? Had he even asked them, or informed them, of what they were getting into?

Were they even aware of how much freedom they had, how many choices they had, that they could change their mind, choose a different path, if they so desired?

A soft, musical note rustled up from her throat, its tones half dragon and half equine, its intent friendly, warm, welcoming, like a lingering ray of sunshine on a cooling Orangemoon afternoon. Ears pricked as she rounded the last curve of a tree's perimeter, pools of gold looking forward to capture the figures of the pegasi for herself.

"Hello," she offered, the word sculpted carefully, her eyes roaming over their tired, travel-worn bodies, the curiosity and concern showing on her face - she would not hide the worry she felt for their wellbeing, though she was also relieved again, to see them whole and unharmed. The dragonmare paused her steps a good few strides away from them still, as she had when she first laid eyes upon them in the Threshold, unwilling to encroach so far upon their bubble of comfort that she triggered undue distress.

"It is good to see you both standing," she added, her smile as warm as the tones she spoke, her posture easy - she had Dramyrth still watching the area for her from his hidden spot amongst the canopy, his golden scales blending easily with the changing, golden tones of the turning leaves, his eyes scouting the lands around them for any danger. She felt secure, and her body language said as much, as she greeted the two once more, for a second time, though perhaps it would be more productive than the first.
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart

@Nora
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Nora Posts: 52
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 3
Angel
Lush blades of wheat embrace me – their smooth lips scratch gently over these churning, painted legs. Even before I’ve come to a stop, Noah has drawn near. Irises tilt up, continuing a tradition of flustered bewilderment in regards to the concern riding on his regal, honest expression and coloring his choice of words. Velvet sensors burn at their tips...but they elevate from that downcast position and allow the beginnings of a meek smile to birth. Somehow, I find the air (while gasping) to respond agreeably, hopefully alleviating his worry, “I…” jaws work, pausing mid-breath as that throttle eases off, “good.” The butt of my snout flutters, drawing in those wonderful, honeyed scents as they drift over to us. From somewhere in those cloaks of ivy, the pale caps of ivory nectar lay. Unseen by him, the inner workings of these jaws have begun to salivate; signaling a familiar rumble in my gut. Mini me broadens her delight, welcoming the raw enticement…exploring the yearn for those exotic spices.

The cavity within my breast still throbs and without the constant thrust of wind, sweaty patches are free to develop beneath my northern coat. These arms remain drawn apart, rejecting the idea of sheathing upon moist contours. Jowls crease, giving voice to reminiscence, "Nous sommes venus ici avant..." Though this damp world is different at ground level -once the rush has been removed from my ears- I find his destination to be recognizable by the nearby downpour of weeping water. Curiosity bubbles to the surface, tracing the tangled webbing of kudzu and beyond... “Follow?” He instructs after a moment to settle.

Limbs shuffle obediently, wholly tethered by countless necessities in pursuit of the eagle. Noah doesn’t hurry, in fact – his lax pace gives me the excuse to snag mouthfuls of succulent grass. Behind us, a near silent collection of beige hinds enter the clearing, crossing in our wake. From the corner of my vision, they take off from their carefree amble, quickening into a dash! A sharp, anxious injection filters into my blood stream -- trembling ears snap rearmost while my delicate head rises, pivoting for the source. These jaws tighten around the zealous mouthful which pokes from either end. Cautious, quivering steps lean me closer to my guardsman as the shadows wane and a tawny hued stranger emerges.

“Hello,” ears flick upright, casting fear aside and curling favorably toward the plated woman. Hurried, I chew quickly and murmur with the half a mouthful still in the process of working downward, “hi.” Another outbreak of words, but none breach the bars of my invisible prison. A hazy plethora of memories slide into view; this…is the same girl from before. She’d been in the company of a dragon… An ecstatic beam surges front and center.

The dragon!

Up till now, my focus hasn’t been on the absence of magic. I dismissed the missing talents as a curse or payment for my new life when they didn’t reemerge. But...dragons are regarded as creatures of great wisdom; without a doubt, if anyone could restore me, he could. Mini me lurches forward, excitable jitters racing down her spine, ‘ask,’ she naturally assumed that the mythical creature would dispense of the barrier. Temples arch, searching that beautiful, scaled flesh and those curious webbed arms...but...no serpent of legend.

@Noah

Riven
The connection, comfort and understanding of body language - of touch, warmth and the reassurance each provides - is something fondly familiar to Noah. He is a sensual creature, intuitive and impulsive, driven by an inclination to understand, provide, the only real way he knows how; yet she, the pale princess, the delicate dove, challenges his very constitution in almost every possible respect. He accommodates and cares about her unnatural need for space, pandering to her creatively, cunningly, through other avenues like food, flattery and conversation (though the latter tires his trying brain so quickly); in recent days however, she has accepted the odd collision of skin – the first had been accidental, each time later less so. To him, it almost seemed as though his slight, slow and very calculated advances were making a little headway.

There is no rush as he continues in gradual motion along the soft, moist path etched down between the grasses. Occasionally he pauses to collect a sweet, golden dandelion as it bends and smiles in the canopy-filtered sunlight, or mouthful of soft, sour lichen where it beds in dull swirls upon a trunk; though he is careful to maintain momentum, for memory of savage slayers is stamped hard into his thoughts. Shadows grow tall around him, like wisp-thin sentinels stirring from long slumber, and he eyes them carefully, consciously, and maintains a strong alertness for the billow of scent and sound around him. This time, he is prepared for anything.

The strident screech of a psittacine rises from the thicket ahead…

Though his every effort is earnest, and his mind seldom strays from the task, the creature who watches manages to perfectly evade all attention. Noah is unskilled, no matter how bold, and experience beckons his focus near to the floor – for it was down in the murky depths, risen as though from the belly of hell itself, that a demon had ambushed them before. Then, there is a fleet-footed scramble to the rear and like the dove in his slipstream, narrowed gaze diverts instantly to the cause.

The familiar face of a creature, nay, a mare - whether horse or serpent, he still could not decide - unexpectedly emerges from behind the twisted girth of a tree and his stride instantly pauses as incredulous eyes indulge upon the exquisite detail of her image; in fact, her arrival inspires within him an aggravated sense of restless discontent, at least towards the place which had captured them. It seems rather appropriate that one from the beginning (who, though having played a very vital role in their rescue, was more or less shunned by louder types) should present now, when barely-there loyalties to the north (and same louder fools who live there), is at its frailest yet.

She barely stands smaller, with those wonderfully strange, naked wings perched to either side; quickly his notice is drawn back to the unusual shimmer of bright, golden eyes, the same hue too, colouring the snake-like scaling down the bridge of her nose between them (and down her sleek, strong throat. ”Hello…” humbled vocals answer immediately in return; a fusion of surprised delight glitters their note. Though he delves deeply into the recesses of his mind, recollection of her name escapes him, and the hum of an unfinished sentence fades awkwardly into the abyss between them.

Nora leans close beside his thigh, and the flash of her bodily warmth thereon is noticed, cherished – but all the same ignored.

Without intending to displace the nervous dove, he turns to meet their acquaintance head on, closing a little of the space left politely, and the smile which has found peace upon his lips begins to broaden (it is so unlike the tortured fear once before); a weak greeting stirs behind him and one golden soldier swings in reverse to acknowledge. There was an easiness to the other’s grand posture (though it seemed hardly to fit one so marvellous, Noah welcomed it all the same), gentleness and sureness, enough to call for all rigidness to fail. “Thank you for your help… that day… All too aware is he, of the crude, rude conduct in those previous moments, and though they are a blur of blood and rile, he cannt help but feel the weight of a guilty heart.
Noah
I was born a warrior
I was born a warrior
Image | Coding

@Amaris | I'm so sorry for being an ass and not replying sooner.
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death
(no need to ask)

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Joy was evident in her grin as she watched them, whole and complete, easing their appetites on the lush grasses, enjoying the surrounds much like she was. The Hidden Falls were barely hidden anymore, without the protection of the Earth God or a herd to guard the borders, and Amaris was pleased to see that despite this it still hosted life.

Golden eyes watched as recognition washed over the two, and she was pleased once more that her presence was met with welcome, and not fear or distaste. Honestly, she was surprised at the gift of gratitude, for she had not done much that fateful day in the Threshold to aid them - not true, came Dramyrth's sharp note, as he recalled perfectly just the lengths his dragonmare bonded had gone to, to ensure these perfect strangers' survival. Without you, no healer. Without you, they would be a feast for many a beast, he reiterated as he flashed the memories of that day through their bond, sharp and clear from his draconic perspective.

"You are most welcome.." she began, before realising that their names were one thing she had not collected that day, nor had she given her own. With a smile, she added in warm tones, "forgive me, I don't believe we've been properly introduced - we were a little distracted last time; I am Amaris, and my companion, ensuring our safety from those trees -" she indicated towards the trees behind her with the tilt of her tiara "- is Dramyrth." She hoped they would offer their names in turn, though she would not necessarily press them for it if they deigned to keep it a secret.

"I do hope you have found someplace safe to rest your weary selves since 'that' day?" She could not help the curiosity, the desire to ask, to probe into exactly what kind of treatment they had been given since they left the Threshold, led blindly by the gelding, ushered by fear and circumstance. How much did they know about Helovia, if anything? Were they given a choice when they left the Threshold, to turn away - certainly with a welcome like they received at the borders, Amaris might not have continued on deeper into lands of unknown danger and peril - but then, Amaris did not know for certain that the tiger who had attacked them had been anything but a 'normal' Helovian tiger.
Amaris
drákos istoría
Dagwanoenyent Stock | whimzi
on deviantart

@Nora
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~