the Rift

hireath

Geronimo Posts: 5
World's Edge Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: Eight Months
Neverrmind

I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

Countless tears fell from their eyes, blackened yet soulful. Six days the bison had journeyed with their sights set upon the one realm they knew to be safe, constant and abundant with Geronimo's own kind. By now, the herd of what may even be one hundred head, had gathered in the threshold to farewell the sleepy child.
"Horse cannot be happy, roaming and walking whole life as we do" the chief Bison spoke to his flock of weeping, grieving mothers and friends of the cream colt. "Horse must grow with own kind".
The colt, who by now trembled and dallied on the edge of unconsciousness due to a combination of exposure, exhaustion and malnourishment, stared blankly back at the softly snorting herd he knew as his family, watching from his place at the foot of an oak as one by one they began to turn away.

It could have been hours or days later, but the skinny stag slowly woke. A raindrop was the first to greet him, falling with a heavy, icy splat upon his pink nose. Every day for the past seven months he had woken under the gaze of the loving Bison and the chief - but not today.
Panic was quick to set in as the child lay curled and dusted in raindrops at the foot of that mossy oak, a bleat escaping his maw in desperate hope for a response. "Oooooog?" the little one cooed, one of the many sounds he knew how to pronounce (yet could not form into sentences). The clutter and smack of wings upon the canopy's leaves gave him a flicker of hope, his blue gaze turning skyward and a shout of excitement escaping his maw in the hopes he'd find some evidence of his herd there. "Geronimo!" He called to the sky, heart thudding "Geronimo!?" He repeated with similar urgency.
They were not there.
They were gone.

art: © x coding: © x

Open to any!

permission for magic and force on geronimo.
death is not ready for him yet.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
the GoldenShade
Clouds rolled overhead, grey and fat with unshed rainwater, but I knew that it wouldn't stay that way for long. It felt like I had blinked my eyes and Tallsun had already given way to Orangemoon and it was already cold. Over and over I thought that it already felt colder than normal, but I had spent a majority of my life tucked away safe and warm in the Dragon's Throat, so for all I knew the already chilly temperature was normal for the mainland. I hoped that the rain would hold out long enough for me to make it back to the Edge because the idea of travelling in the pouring rain, cold, pouring rain wasn't something that I was looking forward to. Of course, a second later a cold, fat raindrop hit me squarely on the nose.

"Wonderful." I sighed, exasperated at my luck. Mara, however, couldn't seem to care less that it was starting to rain. She bounded ahead of me on long, thin maned wolf legs. She disappeared into some bushes, my last glimpse being the white tip at the end of her tail. I didn't bother with asking her where she was going, because usually when we left the Edge she would spend most of her time hunting. She claimed that the food in different places tasted different. It was something I was just going to have to take her word for.

"Oooooog?"

I almost didn't hear it, but the sound was so out of place in the Threshold that I couldn't help but notice it. My ears flicked back and I looked around, but when I didn't hear it again I shrugged and continued to walk, chalking it up to a strange bird singing. 

"Geronimo!"

That was loud and close enough to make me flinch. 'Hear that?' Mara was asking, and I could feel her alertness and curiosity through our shared bond. The voice sounded childish, scared, sad, tired, or maybe it was excited?  .... it reminded me of Ryuu and I for a brief second I wondered if it was him, but it couldn't be. He'd be full grown by now, an adult. The little voice called out again, and it urged me to move quicker through the foliage -- around trees, under branches, through bushes -- until I found him.

"Geronimo?" I repeated the word that he'd shouted, head tilted. He looked pitifully thin and malnourished. How long had he been on his own? Where were his parents? Other questions ran through my mind, but there were other matters that needed to be attended to first. I approached him slowly, a friendly, if concerned, smile on my lips. "Are you hungry?" Letha was still nursing, so I had food to offer because I wouldn't let him starve to death, alone, in the middle of the forest.

"."

@Geronimo

aud pixel!

World's Edge Colt
Neverrmind

Shivering and shaken the colt of gaia and stone dug his hooves into mother earth beneath, the moss raking and collecting under each overgrown toe. Sliding his body into a rigid, trembling heap at the foot of the Father oak, the earthly being almost missed the approach of one who might well be his saviour.
The most pink eyelids, diaphanous and near translucent had begun to hover over his eyes of brother air and sister sea, not bothering to wonder where he might find them or if they would be so bold as to search for him. These were, more or less, figments of his imagination; his own religion and creed, the kind he'd made up in the absence any other. It was his own creation, unshakable and strong, and perhaps no one would ever convince the boy that he was not born of the soil and leaves, or mountains and rivers.

The stranger had approached, her figure dark and ominous among the cover of leaf and twig. With a gasp the bairn's eyes sprung wide, his hooves scampering atop the moss until he has coiled completely against the tree.
'Geronimo?' she had spoken, a voice as tender as mountain thunder. The boy relaxed, his shoulders rolling forward to accept the ground beneath his spring-like stance, cloud-coloured eyes keeling forward to take in the sight of an equine. She looked... exactly like him? Of course, the colour of their hides did vary, but the pale boy was more than enchanted to see a horse for the first time in what he thought was forever. With no memory of his parents, only ever raised by the strict and hard-working Bison herd, the colt was more than in awe to find someone just like him. His head rising from the moss, ears pricked and feeble legs at the ready, the boy of the Bison made his move. Spilling slightly as he launched himself to his feet, though managing to steady himself upon his front legs, Geronimo soon found his way to the gold and black mare.
Quickly he found a licking to the shape and colour of her hooves, noticing how his grew in a similar fashion. How many more were there like them? Were they in their hundreds like the bison, or in their few like the eagle? So many questions, yet no language to ask.
"Geronimo!" he came to shout at the sight of the maned wolf, his pale body dashing under the woman's left wing for cover. "Geronimo!" He would bleat again, nose pointing towards the predator.

Open to any!
@Ranjiri

Farah Posts: 13
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 17hh :: Yearling (Ages in Orangemoon)
Emily

One year. It's been one year since I was born. The chill in the air outside of the Throat is much the same as it had been when I was born. So much has changed in that year. I've grown up some of course. I've taught myself how to fly, which is a good thing or i'd be stuck in the Throat forever. I have to get a running start to fly, so I really need to work with someone else who knows a better way. I am able to run just long enough to get airborne before the coughing starts. At first, i'd fall back down the moment the coughing started. Now, with the help of both my larger and small sets of wings I get in the air before the coughing starts.

But enough of that. Today, now that i'm a yearling.. I want to go explore. First place I head, up north toward the threshold. I had been flying up above the clouds, when a loud clap of thunder from the storm below me scared me right out of the sky. I crash down, as my landings well could still use some work. I am just thankful that I am not hurt. Now soaking wet from the rain, but not hurt or dirty. "Geronimo!" What that?! "Geronimo!?" The voice was odd, and sounded a bit younger than me. So of course, I head over too.

"Geronimo!" The voice cries again. "Geronimo!" The last cry is just as I break through the underbrush. The sight I found was unexpected in more than one way. A pale colt was tucked under the wing of... a golden and dark mare that I thought I had dreamed up. But no, she was real. My brown eyes stare wide in shock. "You.." I stepped a bit farther out of the brush. "You were there, the day the wolves..." Even now I can't finish my words. But I knew, and I think she will know. I can't even focus on the colt. Not yet.

"Talking"

Farah

@Ranjiri @Geronimo - I couldn't resist <3

the GoldenShade
Every ounce if instinct I held within my body urged me forward to comfort the young colt, and yet I forced my hooves to remained anchored where they were. I didn't want to frighten him away by moving in too close. The forests, no matter the region, were dangerous and often held secrets hidden within its shadows. To scare him deeper into the forest, one that he couldn't possibly know, and have to chase after him wasn't something that I wanted to happen. My smile remained friendly and encouraging, hoping that it would be enough to entice him to me so I could look over him and possibly find his parents -- though a part of me was already anticipating that he'd arrived alone. Why else would he be in such poor condition?

His sudden shout of Geronimo! was surprising enough to make me flinch. I let my wing droop to cover his small, malnourished form and effectively hide him from whatever it was that had scared him. I looked around, though, and the only thing I saw was Mara, standing at the foot of a tree. Her head tilted as she watched the boy hide and then she looked at me. I could feel her question before she could voice it, and at first I didn't know how to answer. Mara wasn't frightening to me or to any of my friends, but she was bonded to me and my friends all knew who she was. The young colt, however .... I lifted my wing and looked down at him as he shouted and pointed at Mara again.

"It's okay." I said, my voice soft and soothing. "She's a friend. Her name is Mara." I glanced back at my bonded in time to see her body englufed in swirling shadows. When they disipated her now feline body was much smaller and fluffier than the one before had been. She started toward us only to stop a few paces away to sit and stare at the colt who was still partially hidden under my wing. "Mara." I repeated to the boy as I motioned to my bonded. "Frie---."

"You.."

I cut myself short and craned my neck to look at the girl who had spoken. At first I didn't recognize her, though I was sure that I should have. It wasn't until she mentioned the wolves that it hit me full force, like a ton of bricks. The wolves .... just the mere mention of them brought the sight of Amani's battered body to mind. I could still see it, still smell the blood, still feel the sadness at the world losing such a beautiful soul. "You're .... Amani's daughter." I said, almost numb. "You've grown."

"."
Mara's Form

@Geronimo
@Farah

aud pixel!

World's Edge Colt
Neverrmind

"Ger... Gero..." The boy chirped with worry, though trailed off after the woman's reassuring voice took ahold of his fleeting heart. The warmth she provided was exactly what he had felt from the Bison, the same protection and love, only this was different. She was the same. She owned the same long face and slender legs, and she too owned wings. While his own pair remained hidden by his gift of magic, the colt was becoming convinced that she was, like himself, one birthed from gaia and father oak. Family.
Mara she had said whilst gesturing to the shapeshifter, one that had caught Geronimo's gaze with wonder and awe. Slowly the pale creature creeped forward to greet the Mara, another of the earth's children it would seem. "Maaaraaa" he whispered, nose reaching out to touch the feline's soft coat, all the while wondering which of the mother's brothers she had come from. Wind? Sea? or earth herself.

This ideal, this dream-like revelation, was soon debunked as another broke through the underbrush with a crack and whip of leaf and twig.
"AHH!" The colt bellowed, scampering upon his dainty hooves, sending the forest floor to the high heavens as he flopped onto his rump. Another few rickety moves and he had scurried behind the golden one, jamming his body under her stomach and fitting his lanky self under her ribs in an attempt to hide on the other side.

No post order as I'd really like this threshold to be done super quick! Priority to Ranjiri too (she will be his foster mumma!)
@Ranjiri

the GoldenShade
Mara remained seated, her feline eyes watching the colt as he crept steadily toward her. Her ears flicked back for a split second before they were tilted forward again and her the tip of her stubby tail tapped steadily against the ground. She was curious about the colt, I could feel it through our shared bond, but she was still far too young to voice exactly what it was she wanted to know. And I had a feeling that even if she were able to voice her questions the colt wouldn't be able to answer them. I watched him as he continued to creep forward, Mara's name falling from his lips as he stretched his muzzle out toward her. I watched her as she leaned to the side, away from his touch, but it wasn't enough and soon his muzzle was burried in the soft fur of her coat.

But it was only for a second.

Mara jumped back, and as she did one of her front paws shot out to bap the youngster on the nose. "Mara!" My voice was drowned out by his bellow, though I wasn't sure if he had cried out because of Mara bapping his nose or because of Farah's sudden arrival. I started to turn then stopped as Geronimo -- I figured that was his name because he kept saying it -- wedged himself under my ribs. He garnered my full attention then and I dipped my head down to peer at him. "It's okay. There's nothing to be frightened of." I glanced to where Mara had been and found her seated again, diligently cleaning the paw she had smacked the colt with. She must have sensed me watching her because she paused long enough to look at me before she resumed her grooming.

Sighing, I turned my attention back to the child. I couldn't just leave him alone and I was pretty sure that his parents, whoever they were, were nowhere around. Leaving him would be a death sentence and I couldn't do that in good conscience. I shifted my body so that he would no longer be tucked beneath me. I took a few steps forward then stopped and looked back at him. "Let's go home." I said and motioned for him to come along. Mara had aleady disappeared into the brush and was heading for the Edge.
"."
Mara's Form

@Geronimo

aud pixel!

World's Edge Colt
Neverrmind

The bat to his nose was something the colt was certainly not expecting and had never experienced - in truth he'd never really seen a feline unless it was a mountain lion or the kind that pecked at the sick and young ones in the bison herd. To him, Mara was an oddity, but as much of an oddity as the other two equines present were. The 'boop' he had been greeted with upon the nose had left him intrigued rather than frightened, and after he uncoiled from the motherly woman's feathers his paces took him closer to the pallas cat once again.
the dark woman's voice murmured again like the hum of wind and thunder. It caused his eyes to grow weary, his tail to flick and eyelids to sink. "Let's go home' She had cooed, words he did not understand but still seemed to understand when she turned.

With a short-lived bleat of "Ah! ah!" as if trying to tell her to wait for him, the colt was soon trotting after the pegasus with his wings tightly hidden against his sides. He had no strength to fly and hardly any to trot much further, but with her wings for shelter and her warm voice he felt he could walk to the highest peaks.

Geronimo had no clue of where he was headed and who he would meet, but at least his tears were dry and his stomach would soon be full.
His life had just begun anew.

TO THE EDGE!! ★
thanks guys that's this threshold done :)