the Rift

[PRIVATE] a muffled voice replies, "no one's home"

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

ЯIKYN

Leading Akumi and Ingrid into the jagged, split stone face of the Haruspex cave, I point at the slightly weathered and dusty dark blue, glass scorpion with onyx eyes at the threshold with my horn before we enter.  It’s only two feet or so in size, but has been here for some time, and I actually know where it’s from, and why its here.  These ladies are scholars, after all, and the insect had been made in their herd land.

"Dunno what the scorpion’s called," I tell them, "but it was made by the Glazier Kahlua, who later became Queen, and was gifted to the herd when I was a boy.  There’s supposed to be one in every herd…statue, that is.  I don’t know if they’re all scorpions."

Looking in and finding it devoid of the seer, I decide to carry on without him.  Glancing about eagerly as I move into the cave, the hauntingly simple mirror waits in the semidarkness.  Illuminated by the blue glow of the magical mushrooms native to the area and cultivated by the scholars of the mountain, I step before it, looking into its liquid surface for the first time, this close.

As a boy, I’d stood here, while my mother had witnessed each summoning, or sought advice, but I’d never been allowed near the mirror itself.  Near enough to touch it, a smirk slowly inches across my face, as I ask it whether or not its okay for the Edge-folk to take from it, or not.  I ponder touching its face only slightly with my horn, but instead pull away, watching its surface with wonder, as I call out to the expanse of Time.

"Hey, Time God, your sister sent these people here to get some water from your mirror," I tell it, wondering what to expect if the God does decide to reply, "the Haruspex doesn't seem to be home, or I’d have him ask… but I told them its fine by me, if its fine by you.  Unless you object in the next few minutes, they’ll probably go ahead and, you know, take it."

And so begins the awkward waiting for those few minutes.  Clearing my throat, I look back at Akumi, and Ingrid, while stepping aside, just in case something extra happens, or doesn't - they'll need to be able to get to the Mirror, after all.

"So, storytellers," I begin, a playful smiling toying around my lips, "got any stories while we wait?  Or do you need one of those from me, too?"

[ OOC: new thread as we've left the setting of the first; we'll come back to it when we're done here!  Akumi, Ingrid, and scholar tier only please. Tagging Spark also just in case he wants to judo chop faces ect ect  ]

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

Art by VeerDesigns@DA | Table by Me

@God of the Spark

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Ingrid Posts: 42
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.0 hh :: 2 (Frostfall) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Sky

Reference Credit

Ingrid descended into the cave slowly, sliding forward a little in surprise as Rikyn, voice amplified by the cave, pointed out the scorpion. She turned to look at the blue statue. It was certainly beautiful. She stared into it's black stone eyes for a moment, then continued on. She'd have to remember the Glazier Kahlua. It was a little ironic that she'd learned more Edge history in twenty minutes here than she had over a season in the Edge itself, but there wasn't time to dwell on that now. She was here to get water for the Goddess. Maybe she could find someone to ask about the statues later.

When Rikyn addressed the Time God, it was all Ingrid could do not to laugh out loud. While he'd asked casually, she did have to respect him for asking. Inclining her head, just in case the god might be watching, she took a step towards the mirror with the jar.

Rikyn asked about a story to pass the time. What are you, a yearling? she thought, suppressing a chuckle. Maybe he wasn't quite as bad as she'd made him out to be at first, even if he had just asked in the most annoying way possible. "Wanna hear about the time I was almost drowned by a bird?" Ingrid replied sarcastically, "I could also tell you about some Gods from another land, I could probably talk for hours... But, I'm not sure the Time God would appreciate that sort of language under his roof. How'bout you, Akumi?"

@Rikyn @Akumi (I don't know what's up with posting order or if it's gonna exist, so I just tagged both of you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Akumi Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 years (Bird Song) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Rose
Akumi’s attention was redirected to a scorpion that was neatly placed upon where they walked. When Rikyn spoke he didn’t seem as snobby or angry as before. She was beginning to like his change in attitude and wondered if it was simply because when he came home to a bunch of people at his doors that it angered him. It would’ve angered her too had that been the case.

When they arrived at the mirror Rikyn approached with respect. He walked up and began to summon the Time God. Though it wasn’t like anything she’d ever seen before, she took it as normal for their traditions.

Rikyn then turned back to us and beckoned for a story. Akumi didn’t really know the sort of story to tell so she thought about remaining quiet and listening which is what she did best. Making her a good philosopher. Ingrid opened her lips and asked about one of her own stories in a sarcastic tone. Akumi didn’t know if it was real or not but if it was it would certainly prove to be interesting. Instead Ingrid turned to her and asked “…what about you?”

Akumi didn’t really have any stories of her own that were happy yet. The only stories she had to tell were the ones of her parents dying by greedy men. However her life wasn’t always horrible. She could probably tell about some of the silly moments of herself when she was young and clumsy. She thought about the day that she painted her white baby fur coat with brown. The boiling sun had hardened it that day and stuck like glue. She remained like that for 2 or 3 days. That was kinda funny, she thought.

Looking back to Ingrid she said, “I don’t really have many stories but yours sounds a little funny to me. That is it was an actual story and not just sarcasm.” she looked to Rikyn with softened feelings for his temper earlier. “what about you though sir? How did you get where you are today?” she asked hoping it wouldn’t be rude to ask about the Basin Lords past.
Akumi

image credit

______________________________________________________________________________________
@Rikyn @ingrid
Someday somebody will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

ЯIKYN

Glad that they seem to be lightening up at least a bit, now that we’re away from the main gathering (and Raeden), I smile back, taking in Ingrid’s words with a tilted grin. Did she really think I was that much of an impetuous shit? Who’d talk to their God so nonchalantly as I just did if that God wasn’t okay with a bit of foul language and dry wit?

The other woman, Akumi, does not seem as keen to share as her counterpart, which I guess is okay. Gotta start somewhere, right? Even in storytelling, I guess; I had a natural knack at that, too, it would seem, meeting these two ladies, the sort of fellow to not mind weaving a slightly untruthful yarn or golden fable of a thread in order to appease my audience. This world thrived on half truths and exaggerations, myths and stories, true or not. What mattered, as far as I had been able to discern, was that what you talked about had a purpose, a moral, an even end, or one which might inspire yet another story, and then another.

She asks me a surprising question however, one that I don’t know the answer; how did I get here? Well… the easiest remark, that which doesn’t require a good amount of time to really think about it, is the true story of how it came to be – which also answers one of Ingrid’s passing inquiries.

"The Time God wrote it in the heavens, alongside this very threat: don’t fuck up," I answer, meeting her green eyes with my gold, "but I was also born here, in the Basin, and have done favors for the God, and aided in the destruction of the Rift Gods in the name of the Spark and his Divine siblings."

For all the good that did, what with Kaos running about now.

"He, the Time God, is not the sort to care for courteous phrasing or common tact; he cares for expedience, intelligence, and talent. Just don't shit in front of the Mirror or spit into it, and you'll probably be fine. Besides, I would like to hear about your old Gods, even if He doesn't," I answer, nodding with a smile, "while I’m sure the bird tale is great, it doesn’t contain as much, ah, punch as a story about an all powerful, magically blessed entity, you know? And certainly isn’t as pertinent to the struggle of both our realms, at this point in Helovia’s history."

call me a safe bet
I'm betting I'm not

Art by VeerDesigns@DA | Table by Me

@Akumi @Ingrid

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Ingrid Posts: 42
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.0 hh :: 2 (Frostfall) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Sky

Reference Credit

Ingrid rolled her eyes, in a friendly way if that's possible, when Akumi asked if the bird thing was "just sarcasm." While Ingrid was sarcastic, she definitely wasn't a liar, partly because well, it was bad, and partly because she really sucked at it. She might have told them all about it if Akumi hadn't asked Rikyn about his past.

Ingrid entirely expected him to bite her head off. He didn't. Well, color me impressed. What color is impressed anyway? Like green? Purple maybe? What about... she shook her head, deciding to put that super relevant train of thought on hold to catch the rest of Rikyn's reply.

"...alongside this very threat: don’t fuck up."

Her first response was a snort of laughter. The importance of it didn't hit her until a moment later when she realized that Rikyn, who she'd assumed had won the lead title in a fight or something, never asked to be a lord in the first place. She mentally slapped herself for judging him so fast. Sure he was an ass, who wasn't at least once a week? But a snobby, my-left-ear-is-probably-worth-four-of-you kind of ass? No.

He went on to tell them about The God of the Spark, who sounded to her like the most chill god in existence, excluding the bit where he shoved young horses into leadership positions without asking them. Finally, Rikyn asked to hear about her old gods. She hoped she could still remember the legends.

"Okay. Here's one."

"Many years ago in the smallish Kingdom of Old Rheven, the Frostfall, as you call it here, drew on for many months. There was panic among the villagers. They knew if they weren't able to sow their seeds in time, their supplies wouldn't last until the next harvest. See, venturing out of the village to graze was perilous, there were — and still are — griffons and dragons around those parts.

They held a meeting in the town square and prayed to Terra, the goddess of earth and leader of Omnipoten's High Council, for help. The next morning, she stood before them, an enormous, silvery mare with more muscle than an ox. To the king, she held out a large seed. 'Plant this,' she said, 'and your troubles will be over.'

Furious with the goddess, the king spat the seed at her feet. He knew that no matter what might grow, one seed could not bear enough fruit to feed his people. Feeling she had been wronged, the goddess vanished in a clap of thunder, vowing that the cold would continue.

When the dust settled, a young colt, Lucil, remained. He took the seed and planted it where he stood. Each day he tended to it. One night, the villagers woke suddenly to a warm, yellow light shining from their town's square.

The ground around the sapling had softened, and the snow that blew above it thawed and fell as rain. The tree that grew from the seed had not borne fruit, but the new season itself.

The king felt ashamed. He had seen a seed, and assumed that its only purpose was to grow as a crop. He had doubted Terra's wisdom. He decreed that when he was of age, Lucil would take his place as ruler, as the colt could see a possibility where everyone else believed none had existed.

While the Kingdom of Old Rheven has long fallen, and most of its history has been lost, in the center of New Rheven, which has has been built above it, the sapling that Lucil planted now stands a great, sturdy tree. When the days grow long, much of the kingdom still gathers around it to celebrate the melting frost.

The end. So... Can I get the water now or what?"

@Akumi @Rikyn
Most of this monster is her telling the story, that's why its so long!