the Rift

good for nothing//OPEN

Idolum Posts: 11
World's Edge Mare
Mare :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 2
Sospes :: Common Zephyr :: Roc .A.
Oh Mother, I can feel the soil fall over my head.
She is nothing.  In her soul...her heart...she knows the truth.  She is just one of many, blurring into the background like something dead and forgotten.  Her mind is numb, moving her body like a machine with each feathered movement through the misty morning.  Exhaustion weighed heavily upon her muscles, making her lingering flight slow and descend towards the earth.  Her surroundings were unfamiliar, but the thought never crossed her mind.  Her vision blurred as her delicate limbs touched the ground, slowing her to a brisk walk.  Inky orbs circled in her skull, searching for the black blur that darted above.  A sharp sound echoed as a soft whisper hit her ears.

I'm here, my dear.

I know you are...

Sospes' soft voice lingered in her mind while he landed in the branches above her. Pieces of bark and dying leaves fell from the trees, littering her peppery hair.  She stretched a wing, using the strong feathers poking out from the edge to brush away the debris. With a sigh she tucked the limb against her, moving forward through the strange forest that loomed before her.

Do you know where we are, Sos?

No...

Good.

She moved slowly, ducking under lower branches and squeezing her thin frame through the borough.  Every sound of the woods made her twitch. It has been almost two years since she became a nobody, since...that night.  She shouldn't think of it.  Her flesh trembled as her head started to pound.  The shrill protest of her bonded as he shared her pain seemed so far away as she slipped into her memories.  Flashes of red flooded her, the sounds of her hooves on the wooded floor sounding like the crunching of bones.  Her walk ended, her limbs crumbling under her.

Idolum, look at the flowers.

What flowers?  Everything is black and red.  Nothing is alive, Sos.  There are no flowers...

She curled herself into a tight ball, rocking back and forth.  Her bonded landed near her, careful not to touch.  Anxiety and flashbacks fill her, and although she tried to listen to her zephyr's words, she couldn't perform the little ritual that calms her down.  Her breathing was ragged, and she felt like a squashed insect.

The flowers, Idolum.  Where are the flowers?  The pretty flowers..."

Her eyes opened slightly, a wing reaching out and brushing against the daisies and dandelions next to her.  Sospes began to hum a lullaby, using his magic to brighten the area around them.  He created a dream for her, with a bright sun, beautiful flowers and a gentle song, and soon, the panicky mare drifted off.

@Tilney || good luck getting past Sospes! XD

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

"The threshold I not like Tilney!"
Like a great many things, Tilney knew this well. The patriarch had heard the complaints on every eastward wander, rolled his eyes at each snarling remark about easterly winds, and it was he who gritted his teeth against the telepathic groans of his bonded when the chiroptera realised that that was where they were headed; Peatree need not declare it for a  third time this trip, when in his short life time he had deemed it his least-favorite place in helovia close to three-hundred times.
"Whys us always go! We's go again an' again an' again an'again'n'again-"
"Pea!" Tilney bellowed through their bond, his brows creasing and nose turning toward the lamenting megabat. "There could be someone lost or even injured; This land is a dangerous frontier. And remember, recruiting may help our home.".

Yet another lamenting grunt came into his mind, one that caused his eyes to roll rather dramatically as the ginger stag allowed his first hoof into the forests of the Threshold.

It was morning. Mist choked the trunk of each of the archaic trees, the wilting kinds begining to look sadder by the minute. Even the evergreens looked like they'd never be cheerful again, but so was the will of the land. Spring would always come and renew what was currently dying in the woods, the fields, the burrows, and in all of the herds too Tilney might hope. The fog erupting from his nares was enough to make him glad he wore his dark green cloak and Lion's mane collar, the ensemble outfitting him quite nobly were they not slightly worn and torn at the edges.
"Aiya" Tilney whispered to the lantern upon his tines, noting that it was particularly dark today under the canopy. As it always did, the old and creaky lantern lit with a flicker and puff, soon to warm his skin and provide extra light through the pine needles and scratchy twig.

Peatree flew on ahead, dodging the haunting branches and reaching kindling,  soon to pause high up by the canopy upon a high pine's branch by a tendril of pinecones. Looking down into the glade he'd flown into, the bat found he had entered the sleeping quarter's of a rather spooky mare.
"Lady here I see!" Pea would soon tell Tilney, noting the stallion was not far off from the clearing with his lantern.

The Moon Doctor, who by now was but twenty yards or so from where he noted Pea was roosted upside-down like all megabats did, paused to look past the knife-like fingers the naked fir and pine trunks held and into the clearing.
A woman blacker than onyx with touches of white starker than bone. Tilney could tell she was a great animal, taller than he by at least an inch or two; a feat he hadn't seen accomplished by many women as he himself was on the tall end of the scale. It took only a second and no longer for worry to fill the stallion after he first beheld her, noting she lay instead of stood. Was she hurt? Was she dead?
"ah, Hello?" the gentle hearted man cooed past the trees before him, then making his move forward. "Madame?" He would continue, easing his paces forward into the area. "Are you alright?"

Haaay!
Permission to have Tilney to read her mind in this thread?
(He can mind read!)
@Idolum

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

World's Edge Mare
She slept in fits, dreams and nightmares intertwined, making her eyes twitch under her lids. Swirls of black and red mixed with the bright yellow that Sospes provided.  It was a whirlwind of flowers floating within a breeze, along with greasy droplets of blood splattering against the petals.  A hymn of soft chords accompanied the images.  It felt like hours, but it was only a few minutes before she was awoken by Sospes' shrill call.

Someone is here...

Her black eyes burst open, rolling in her head, searching for that winged form that haunted her.  Instead she saw Sospes leap from the ground, his magic light dissipating.  She followed suit, scrambling to her feet.  Her muscles seem to tear with tiredness, and although she wanted to take off in the air, the branches above and her shaking body forbade her.  She was left in a comprised position as she noticed a light moving through the trees.

Sospes...!

Above you.

Craning her neck, she saw the raven-like zephyr on a low branch above her, wings spread out and his feathers raised.  Like this, he looked almost twice a big as usual.  Words, spoken words, made her turn her body, her eyes staring at the stallion who appeared.  His voice was soft, but that meant nothing.  She shrunk away from him, feathered appendages wrapping around her like a security blanket. What she ok?  It was obvious that her nightmare left her in a frantic state of mind, but she nodded her head, unwilling to let this stranger...this man...see her tremble.

What do I do?

Speak, Idolum.  Be strong and speak.  I am not getting any worrying vibes about him.  I here if you need me.

As if to prove his point, the black bird dropped from the branch onto her withers.  Sospes has always been wise, and always right.  Nodding her head again, this time to her bonded, she turned her eyes back to the intruder.  "I...I'm fine."  It has been a while since she used her vocals, and they cracked with misuse. Slightly embarresed, she lowered her eyes, avoiding the inevitable judgement.  

@Tilney || Go ahead! lets find out what he sees in her brain

'What say her minds?'
Peatree looked down from his perch in the canopy at the ghostly woman, avoiding the gaze of the zephyr to the best of his ability; he knew those things were capable of pretty significant damage, and with wings as papery as a leaf Peatree felt the need to pull them closer.

While the bad had asked what the mare was thinking, Tilney had not yet began to pry. Slowly, as if approaching a startled wild doe, the doctor gingerly entered the grove. His dememor remained calm with the smallest of smiles on his lantern-lit face to match, his steps long but few. Witnessing how she stood, casting a learned and knowing gaze over each limb and how they worked their way to a standing position to gain any kind of assurance that she was not hurt. There was no blood, no evidence of a scrap, and from what he saw she had managed to stand quite fine; in summary, the subject was of adequate health from a first glance, albeit quite exhausted (and startled it would seem).
"I...I'm fine." she had finally croaked, her voice cracking with her words, though this was something that went almost unnoticed by the ginger one who only gazed back with concern, his own thoughts reaching out to the nightmare she was escaping.

"Nightmares. Hmm" He would conclude, soon withdrawing his powers from her midst; all it took was a thought, a look in another direction... it just happened. It switched off.
"I am Tilney,-" the gentleman paused, taking his gaze skyward as his bonded Chiroptera swooped down to take his place on his antlers. "-A Moon Doctor of the World's Edge".
"here I too, Tilney..." Pea scolded, turning his nose from the direction of the stranger and down towards the green eyes of his friend. A snort, one of laughter and sighs escaped the doctor's nostrils at the bat's antics, and shaking his cranium slightly the stag added an introduction for the fruit bat. "And this is Peatree. Are you a bit lost?"
He asked this lightheartedly, though his expression was slightly on the serious side. Being lost out here was no smiling matter.

@Idolum

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

World's Edge Mare
He is not alone...

A bonded?

I believe so.  It smells interesting...

Idolum watched cautiously as the stranger come forward.  She had a full view of him now, his red and white colors more gentle then any in her past.  He was like the embodiment of nature, with a forest marking growing up his side.  Impressive antlers, like that of a deer, protruded from his skull.  She momentarily felt a twinge of jealousy as she eyes the lantern that hung from him, but shook it away.  She wouldn't trade any trinket for the wings that granted her flight.  However, she couldn't stop staring into the light, her black eyes turning green as they refracted the light.  It was almost mesmerizing, so much that she didn't notice the man's eyes running over her.

I don't like him looking at you.

You were always so protective Sos.

She met the man's eyes for a split second before a familiar feeling overcame her.  It was like the warm feeling Sospes provided when he used his light magic, but this was foreign.  It only lasted for a moment, and she blinked afterwards, confused.  It was only after the stallion spoke of her nightmare that she understood.  He saw it.  "You...you saw it?  How?" Her eyes became wide, ears pricking as she stood up and took a step forward.  Does he always see nightmares?  Dreams?  Her eyes flicked upward as a bat landed on his antlers, but quickly went back to the stallion.

Its a bat.

How did he know? Sospes?

Bats do not taste good.

Sospes!

The bird fluttered his wings, moving up her neck to poke his head out, staring at the bat.  A huff escaped his beak at the stallion's introduction.  "Um..I am Idolum.  Sospes is my...my bonded."  She stumbled over her words.  Lost?  

Are we lost, Sos?

Were we ever found?  Can we go?  The bat is making me hungry.

She lowered her head, hiding her slight smile at Sospes.  The stallion mentioned that he was a doctor.  Maybe he can help her, at least point her in direction where Sospes can hunt.  The man seemed ok so far, so she nodded her head.

@Tilney || ^.^

Starry, widened eyes and her shocked expression was one Tilney was far too used to by now, and to the point it no longer brought a smile to his face like it once had. The look of someone who questioned if what they heard was correct was an odd one, a quirky one, and a kind that showed curiosity and interest (or perhaps blatant fear). 'You... You saw it? How' the witch had spoken, causing Tilney to take a stance perpendicular to her own. Once again the ginger gent felt grateful for his olive cloak and the shelter it provided from the frigid wind - the woman had a pair of wings for that, though, her neck must be cold surely.

Forgetting to answer her query, Tilney went to unlace the lion's mane collar that covered the base of his neck. "You must be terribly cold" he spoke to her after pulling on the end of the knot tied into the leather laces. Loosening the collar with a shrug, Tilney began to shake it off  of his neck while Pea parachuted to the pine needles beneath (he was no where near strong enough to carry it to the lady, but he'd give it a try of course).
Much to the bat's distaste, Tilney reached down and clasped a truft of the collar's fur between his jaws, craning his neck back before giving it a gentle toss in the lady's direction. Surely that Zephyr could manage, then again, she may not have come form a place where they even had clothes of these sorts. Newcomers he would presume, new to these lands like almost everyone in the Threshold was.

"If you are not lost, do you know where you are?" He spoke next, a wry smile lighting his slightly withered face as he set off by turning upon his hocks in the hope she would follow. And then, the stranger was no more. Her name was Idolum, and her zephyr Sospes. Once again he allowed his magic to extend, her thoughts easily ringing within his ears.
"What kind of hunting does your Zephyr intend?" he quizzed, briefly turning his nose over his shoulder to look at her, his paces taking him out of the glade and beginning a journey through the forest. "If he's quick he might get a squirrel or a hare, but there's not much else in these woods. Stick with me 'till the meadows though and it'll be a zephyrs dream"
He spoke this with a wide smile, his creaking lantern creating a strange but magical kind of music as he stepped over rock and twig. Tilney did hope she'd stay with him until the Thistle Meadow's at least, but he'd not pressure her to come to the Edge. She seemed like an independent one, the kind who preferred the solitude that came with isolation.
"Not long now"

@Idolum

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

World's Edge Mare
Her ears pricked, watching the man untangle the leathers that tied a sheet of evergreen fabric to him. "You must be terribly cold."  Truthfully, she could feel a chill, but it was something the lady was used to.  Soaring as high as she usually does, a bit of wind chill hardly bothers her.  He must not understand that.  After all, he lacks the tools required to stand among the clouds.  He tossed the cloak towards her, making her respond involuntarily, taking a quick step back and eyeing the thing like a fierce snake.  With a snort, she lowered her head, touching the thing.  It smelled like him, more potent then whatever scent the wind gave her.

Well, put it on Idolum.  

I...I don't know how.

-Sigh- Your worse then an old lady.

Her crown lifted, the weight of Sospes suddenly gone.  The zephyr floated down above the cloak, clasping his sharp talons around it and lifting it over his bonded.  It was heavier then it looked, but he didn't struggle to lay it over Idolum's shoulders.  It settled over her, laying flat across her back and hiding the bulge of her tucked in wings.  Immediately there was a warmth that surrounded her.  She realized that her resistance to cold was just her body becoming numb.  Now that she wore Tilney's cloak, it was almost like her blood pumped faster under her skin.  It was a feeling she hasn't experienced since...that day.  But just like that time, this feeling of warmth will be only temporary, and she will be left again in the cold.

She closed her eyes, tears threatening to pour over her lids.  No, don't think about it.  Forcing her eyes open, she realized that he...Tilney...had turned, his words still lingering in the air.  Panic filled her, but not for the usual reasons.  Quickly she spread her wings, using the strong limbs to propel her forward across the grove.  The momentum lifted the cloak off of her, the thing landing behind her.  Her mind filled with Sospes' sigh, and she sent a thankful glance towards him as he replaced the cloak across her, this time tangling the leather straps around her chest.

He is asking about your stomach, Sos.

I heard him.  I suppose I can wait a while longer.

The zephyr flew above her, darting through the branches and sending shrills ahead to ward off those with less then honorable intentions, while Idolum followed Tilney on the ground.  "He..he said he can wait."  She sent a gaze upwards, watching the blur of inky feathers and ivory stars.

Wait...How did he...

Realizing that she had made no comment on Sospes' insistence of starvation, she again pondered how Tilney knew such things.  Maybe he was watching them?  The thought made her pause, her skin starting to crawl.

Don't be stupid, Idol.  It is obvious that he uses magic to read your thoughts.

Don't call me Idol.

Her heart skipped a beat, a painful tension in her chest making it hard to breath.  

Only Mother calls me that.

She frowned like a child, irritated to be chastised by her bonded.  Although she will admit she did pay more attention when her nickname was used, that doesn't mean she likes it.  She shook her irritation away, forcing herself to stay in the present.  She watched silently for a moment, the stallion leading her away from the little grove.  He spoke about the meadow.  Meadows mean open sky, so she followed willingly, excited to be able to feel the wind again.  "Thank you, Tilney."  Her words were short, and she cringed at how her voice sounded.  In her mind, it was lyrical, poetic.  It is just one more thing to cause her discomfort.

@Tilney || ramble fest

The scent of another on his cloak would not bother him in the days to come, in fact perhaps he'd even cherish the reminder of their meeting. His own cinnamon scent was one he grew tired of, and it seemed even immune to by now. What sweet scent would linger on his clothes after Idolum wore them?
The ginger's pace was slow, slow enough to not mislead her or allow her to fall behind. Aware of her weariness and what seemed like an aversion to strangers, Tilney would do his best to present her with all the transparency he could; in the same essence, he hoped she was not the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Peatree had settled into the blankets of mane upon tilney's whithers, though instead of looking ahead at where the stallions footsteps took him, he looked back with cold eyes towards the Zephyr. Watching, waiting, scrutinising, acting as a pair of eyes on the back of Tilney's head. Any funny business and Tilney would know.
"Leave them be, Pea" The ginger would say, hoping the way wasn't glaring too hard.

"Does herd life interest you?" Tilney went on to speak out loud to his travelling companion. "I am from a herd to the west of here. If it's shelter, warmth, food and water you need we can be there by nightfall"
Of course she needed it, everyone did.

sorry for short one! im doing commissions but thought i'd keep it moving noice and quick :P
@Idolum

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

World's Edge Mare
Silence hung in the air.  Her eyes darted back and forth between the ginger stallion in front of her to the flashes of inky feathers and ivory stars above. Sospes glided between the branches, settling once in a while to wait for those on the ground to catch up.  The bat's glares didn't go unnoticed, and Sospes returned them with a devilish grin.

He is speaking to you, Idolum.  

Huh?

Pay attention.

She pulled herself from her blank mind, catching the last of Tilney's words, though she remained silent, thinking.  Her lips curled as she tried to remember if she was ever in a herd.  What little she remembers about her childhood is filled with fear.  They must have been in some sort of group, but the mare can't bring any complete memories forward.  The thought of Tilney bringing her to a place full of others created tension in her chest.

You keep saying you want to get over your past.  This is a good opportunity to do so.

But-

Were you lying?

Shaking her head at her bonded, she parted her lips to speak.  "I suppose...Sos wants to."  And she follows the zephyr.  Is there any harm in trying?  With a twinge of anxiety, she realized that so many things could go wrong.

@Tilney || no worries!

"But do you?" Tilney spoke, stopping in this tracks to allow his nose to turn in the woman's direction. It didn't really matter was Sospes wanted in his opinion; if she wasn't happy neither was she and such was the way of the bonded companion.  The corner of his mouth twitched into a smile, the kind that might show her he only mean't well and not to scold, but truthfully from first impressions it seemed as though she was a woman with little control or say in her destiny - a tragedy Tilney himself had befallen before.

His breaths turned to hums, a gentle tune escaping his lungs as he trudged with purpose over the varied terrain. It was only when they reached the Thistle meadow that his song ceased and he turned to look to Peatree, who was still watching over the pair that followed. There was ample room for the bat to fly now that they werent covered by trees, so reluctantly the bat took flight.
"Across these meadows lays the World's Edge" Tilney declared, gaze turning to Idolum "Mind you, it's one big meadow"

Continue this is the edge? :D
@Idolum

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

World's Edge Mare
It would seem that he saw right through her.  He stopped, turning towards her and calling her out.  Her ears pricked back, her nervous energy making her skin shake.  Why couldn't she answer for herself?  She lowered her eyes, unable to meet his.

Embarrassed?

Shut up...

If you want to check out the herd, just say yes.

Her pulled back ears pricked, catching the tune that Tilney hummed.  It resembled the song Sospes sang to her.  Taking a big breath, she took long steps until she stood next to the stallion.  "I...would like to accompany you to your herd.  That is, if that's ok."  She looked across the meadow, watching the bat for a moment.  The urge to take off was strong, her wings fluttering against her sides.  She turned and gave Tilney a shy smile, mentioning under her breath about being right back before undoing his cloak from her shoulders.  Letting the fabric slide off of her, she opened her muscular wings, shooting up towards the sky.  She needed a moment, and the chilled wind in her face cooled her nervousness.

Peering next to her, she saw Sospes matching her speed with ease.  He motioned towards the earth, and she nodded in understatement. She shouldn't keep Tilney waiting too long.  She descended, using her wide feathers to slow herself,  landing softly near the stallion.

@Tilney || sure! do you want to start that thread?