the Rift

[PRIVATE] Comfort & Joy

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
RANDOM EVENT
This is for @Alysanne . Up to her who is invited. Posting order only matters for Aly.

A sphinx prowls the area littered by colourful lights, cast from the noon-day sun through the stained glass of the Rotunda. She can remember a time when this place did not exist, and it makes her happy to see that the industriousness of previous generations has stood the test of time. She thinks of the Time God and what an utter bastard he can be, and is pleased that he let this place be.

An owl perches on her feline back, and without a word, it lifts off into the afternoon on soundless wings. It goes to find an owl called Hemlock and to bring him and his bonded back to this glade. He knows that the sphinx does not like to dwell on the land for long, and so on sturdy and strong limbs, he seeks out the creature he has been tasked to find.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Much like her older sister, Zoeya was already showing signs of an adventurer - and while Alysanne knew she couldn’t keep the girl from exploring Helovia on her own, she hoped to do some of that exploring with her too. In her time in Helovia she had learned a fair bit about it, and if her daughter was interested then Aly would be so happy to share everything she knew.

They were travelling south from the Edge to find warmer sunshine but without any real destination in mind. Hemlock had stayed behind, nestled in and happy for his mid-day nap to commence in his favourite hollow of a tree. He didn’t normally mind burrowing into Alysanne’s folded wings and sleeping there - but it sure made for a bumpy slumber. So he was snuggled right in and drifting away when the call of a stranger woke up right up. Not just a stranger, but a strange owl. One lazy black eye opened up before the other quickly followed.

In a flurry of feathers, Hemlock was up and out of his tree - leading the owl towards Alysanne and her daughter, heavy with the feeling that then they would be led somewhere else.

And sure enough, once he was reunited with his bonded, the strange owl headed off. Alysanne glanced down at Zoeya, giving her a small little shrug, before picking up an easy trot to follow the owl. They arrived at the Rotunda, and there was something inside - something incredible. Alysanne’s approach slowed and became more cautious as she came to linger just on the edge of the Rotunda - looking in. She gestured for Zoeya to stay by her side and not move in any further, before speaking as cautiously as she had moved. “Hello.”

alysanne

the devoted

@Zoeya is invited to join <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Zoeya Posts: 9
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: Six months:: Orangemoon
Ajax :: Common Griffin :: Zapping Jab Pare
Zoeya
Light brown eyes gazed fondly up at her beautiful black and white mother. She was thrilled that her mother had offered to take her out and show her around Helovia. It was nice to spend some alone time away from her mother's responsibilities. Adored when she was the center of her mother's attention, but she tried her best to not hunt her down and beg for more. She glanced at the sky wondering why Hemlock was staying home, so she voiced the question. "Why is Hemy staying home Mama?" She turned her tiny horn studded head towards the black and white curiously. When strangers where gone the sweet playful girl came out to play.

She pranced beside and in front of her mother looking at all of the different plants and animals, the tiny ones anyway. She giggled and ran back to Alysanne with a rose in her mouth. Her tiny wings fluttered against her side as she tried to reach up wanting to tuck the flower in her mother's mane. "Do you like it Mama?" She beamed happily and pranced around her mother smiling brightly. "It's so clear out here. Why is it so foggy at home?" She paused half prance her right front leg held up high her head tilted slightly.It was strange being away from the fog and thick towering trees. Shrugging inwardly she moved to walk beside her mother again.

Hemlock seemed to show up out of nowhere with another owl that took off in a different direction. Her heart hammered in her chest and she moved closer to the safety of her mother's winged side. She trotted after her mom wondering where they heck they were going until they were there. A breathy gasp slipped from her mouth as she gazed up at the giant structure in awe. She went to step forward to explore when something moved inside. She froze her eyes growing wide showing the white and she stumbled backwards trying to hide behind her mama. She wanted to ask what that was, if they should run, and what was going on, but her throat felt like it was swollen shut. The caution in her mother's movements and voice worried the mare even more. She shivered with the raw fear pulsing through her tiny hybrid frame.

-----------------------------------------------
Talk
Words ;; 383
Tags/OOC ;;
image credits
- table by Niki -

Helovian Ancient
RANDOM EVENT
The sphinx steps out from the dappled sunlight, making her leonine body briefly appear as though it was covered in golden spots. However as she slunk forward completely, full of grace and patience, the shadows fell off her lithe frame to expose taunt muscles rippling beneath an unmarred golden pelt.

For a moment the sphinx appeared as though she was undecided about what to do. Her upwards slanting eyes moved briefly from Alysanne to her child, and then back again. Because her face was vaguely human, it was likely harder for the equines to interpret her expressions, but soon her face smoothed and cleared, and a smile sparkled across her lips.

"Welcome." She purred, her voice rich and fully of melody. "I am called Aenigma. It has been many decades since I have spoken with another Queen. I hope you do not mind my summoning." Again her lips twitched with a smile, and playfulness glimmered in her sapphire gaze.

Travelling with a foal was significantly more fun than travelling alone. Zoeya, showing that she was already observant, inquired about the absence of Hemlock and Alysanne smiled down at her as she replied. “He likes to sleep in the daytime, so he’s just going to have a nap before catching up to us.” And then later, she enjoyed watching Zoeya as she danced back and forth - investigating everything that she could. And when her daughter presented her with the present of a rose - Alysanne’s joy was shining and true. She lowered her head to make it easier for the lightning girl to tuck it into her mane. “I love it!! It’s the prettiest flower I’ve ever seen, thank you my sweet.” She laughed a moment later when Zoeya asked why it was so foggy at the Edge. “I think the goddess likes it that way.” She replies with a small wink.

The adventurous filly that Alysanne was blessed with having witness too wasn’t present just yet now that they were facing the sphinx, but Alysanne didn't blame her one bit. It was a strange sight, after all. She felt the shiver run through Zoeya’s body and quickly turned to whicker softly to her, her eyes clear and unworried and hoping to show the girl that it was okay. Well, she wasn’t totally sure it was going to be okay - but the strange creature hadn’t attacked them right away and Alysanne was hopeful. In fact, the creature welcomed them. While her head turned back to the sphinx, she loosened one of her wings enough that Zoeya could move forward and underneath it if she wished.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Aenigma.” Alysanne dipped her head politely. “This is my daughter, Zoeya.” She didn’t think introducing herself was necessary if Aenigma already knew she was a queen, and hopefully that was true. “To what do we owe the honour of your summons?” Surely there were better queens than Alysanne in Helovia for this sphinx to speak to if that was all she wished.

alysanne

the devoted

@Zoeya
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

World's Edge Filly
Zoeya
She grinned up at her black and white mother enjoying the alone time with her. It was hard being the Queen's daughter since she always seemed to be busy. So the young filly savored every moment she had with the Queen. Her ears pricked  as Alysanne answered. Slightly confused she tipped her head to the side her brows furrowed. "Why would you want to sleep during the day?" She didn't really need an answer but wouldn't turn one down either way. When her mother dropped her head she tucked the flower into her mane, behind her ear, and stepped back to look at her work. Joy lifted her heart at her mother's kind words, "It's pretty just like you Mama." She smiled and pranced in place again glad her mother liked the simple gift. Then she answered about the mist and she gave a snort, but nodded her head. "I guess that makes sense, the moon always looks so cool in the edge."

Fight or flight instincts pounding through her heart urging her to flee. Her muscles bunched as she prepared to turn and race away. The soft nicker of her mother stopped her and she turned her brown eyes up to the paint mare. She took a shuddering breath drawing comfort from the look in her warm green eyes. When her wing shifted enough she carefully wiggled under it eyeing the strange beast in front of them.

Dainty head tilted slightly as she looked up at the creature. "Aenigma? Does that mean you are confusing?" She seemed to realize she had voiced the question aloud instead of in her mind. Her eyes bulged before she glanced at her mother and saw her head dip before she introduced her. Quickly she copied her mother and lowered her own dome. She wanted to ask a thousand questions, but the lingering fear kept her muzzle shut

Talk
Words ;; 314
Tags/OOC ;;
image credits
- table by Niki -

Helovian Ancient
RANDOM EVENT
Pressing her lips together, the sphinx decided to answer the child's query first, finding it the most amusing.

"My name means a riddle in a language that is very dusty and that no one really cares about anymore, except those wanting to appear clever." Long feline teeth emerged as the sphinx grinned widely. "And there is no need to bow. While I am a queen I am not your queen. Though I do appreciate the sentiment."

Turning her black-lined gaze towards Alysanne, the sphinx smiled thoughtfully for a moment, her leonine tail curling delicately around her body. "I called you because I have something for you. However, as my name and species might imply, I am not in the business of something giving things away. I am bound by the laws of my kind, and in order to grant a boon, you must correctly answer a riddle. If you leave now ... unfortunately I would have to kill you." The sphinx smiled a trifle sadly, her leonine shoulders shrugging to indicate that this simply could not be helped. "But don't worry. The riddle I'll offer is sufficiently simple. This is all ... how to phrase it ... just bureaucracy." Again the sphinx smiled sweetly, lowering her gaze to the filly before returning to look at Alysanne.

"I hope a fellow queen will understand."

Of course being told that Aly had no choice but to comply with the sphinx's challenge likely would not be met with open arms, but there was nothing the sphinx could do about that. And of course what she had to offer Aly was very valuable and she hadn't been lying when she had said her riddle would be sufficiently easy. But custom did dictate that she had to be honest about what was to come, and penalty of death was not an impossibility, should Aly and her daughter choose to run.

When Zoeya spoke a question to the sphinx, Alysanne moved her wing slightly in an affectionate squeeze. Zoeya was so shy, she was proud of her daughter for speaking the question that had been on her mind. The creature didn’t seem to mind, either - thankfully. The long, feline teeth that were revealed with the smile were a little concerning - still, at that time, the worry and concern was at a fairly normal level for Alysanne (which would be considered high in almost anyone else but that’s not the point).

Then Aenigma went on to explain the purpose for the summons - a gift, but with a price. The warning that if they were to turn around and leave, she would kill them (or just her?), did not rest easily with Alysanne. When she might have been concerned before, she felt on edge now. Her nostrils flared slightly, ears flicked backwards for a moment, and her wing hugged Zoeya a little more tightly in response as she regarded the sphinx after that comment. She couldn't easily read the face before her, but though she imagined the smile to be sweet - she wasn't about to trust it. Hemlock fluttered uneasily nearby - both he and Alysanne already thinking about what it would take to get Zoeya out safely.

Before that was necessary, maybe there would be no issue at all and she had to try that pathway first.

Her voice was even when she replied, carefully so, as she maintained a pleasant, near-neutral expression. “Of course.” Even though, really, Alysanne didn’t think she was the type of queen that would offer such a severe ultimatum. “What is the riddle?”

alysanne

the devoted

coding by Kyra | image by memuii

@Zoeya
made by the lovely tamme

World's Edge Filly
Zoeya
She leaned against her mother's side enjoying the way her strong wing squeezed her tiny body. She glanced at her mother before her ears pricked up quickly as the creature replied. 'A riddle, how strange.' Dainty features furrowed for a moment stunned by the thought of there being other languages. Suddenly she wanted to know another tongue to twist her lips in strange ways. The question died in her throat at the cat like teeth glinted in the light. She gulped her ears quivering nervously. It was strange that this thing was a queen in her own right. Life truly was strange.

She heard the words Aenigma spoke and an answering shiver shook her young body. Alysanne's wing clenched her frame tighter and she shifted her own tiny wings. Slowly she turned her head and rubbed her muzzle against her mother's warm chest to reassure herself. This was the young girls first time facing a dangerous situation and her instincts screamed to get away. Even though her heart was pounding she knew she couldn't leave, because if she did that would surely mean death. Her throat restricted with her growing fear.

Hear ears tilted to her mother as she asked what the riddle was but something struck the filly. "Miss Aenigma..." She paused gathering her courage, "What happens if we get it wrong?" She hated to ask, didn't really want to hear the answer,but they needed to know what could happen. Of course she was sure her mother would get it right, but still. Her tiny tail flicked against her sides, probably hitting her mother as well, but she couldn't help it. What in the world had they so willingly stepped into?

Talk
Words ;; 283
Tags/OOC ;;
image credits
- table by Niki -