the Rift

The Ground Walks, with Time in a Box

Vahana Posts: 7
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3
Yoko
“Is it really you?”
“Of course it’s me, dear sister.”
“I thought you’d left us. I saw you go. In the night. It may have been dark, but I swear on my life it was you I saw. I’d recognize my own kin anywhere.”
“Why would I leave you? I’d never abandon you, Vahana. You know this. I’ve been here all night.”
She was delusional. She must be. Why did Vahana so vividly remember her sister galloping away from her beneath the cold moonlight, consumed by the shadows of the night, never to be seen again? Why did such strong pangs of emotion shake her to the core? Fear, sadness, abandonment - these were feelings the young mare knew too well, feelings she couldn’t shake away. They stood in an open field. It must have been early morning, for it was still night above them, but the first warm breaths of the sun’s golden rays outlined the horizon. “Then I pray tell, how did you find me?”
“It was easy enough. You always come out here. It’s no secret, not to me at least. I’ve seen you. And I do agree, it’s very peaceful. One can lose track of time altogether...” The makings of a smile peeled back her lips. It was that... sisterly sort of smile, the knowing kind that there wasn’t exactly a word for, but the kind that instilled a warmth in your heart. But a stroke of worry crossed her face, a stratonimbus blocking out the light, causing the sun to seemingly fade away, “Listen to me, though,” Her voice dropped to a whisper, “There’s something I need you to know.”
“What is it? You can tell me anything.” Vahana could feel the thrumming of her heart in her chest. Her blood ran cold. No.
“Promise me, Vahana, promise me one thing-”

Her violet eyes flew open. It was all in her head, the past, but her heart was still pounding.

It must have been midmorning. The skies had dawned a clear, blazing blue. The sun struck down upon her like an arrow, for she was lying in an open field, surrounded by tall grasses that rippled in the breeze. Her heartbeat sunk back to a dull thump thump. The unicorn mare had been wandering for days on end. So long had she been walking that she had forgotten how many days it had been thus far. Memory was slowly seeping back into her. The last thing she remembered was descending the mountains. Then, nothing. She must have passed out. Without rising to her long, willowy limbs, she raised her head to get a better look at her surroundings.

Where am I?

Wessex Posts: 149
Aurora Basin Haruspex atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 3 HP: 68 | Buff: NOVICE
Astor
for there are many ways to kill a man they say
“Hello,” Wessex says in greeting, neither eager nor dour in her speech. The horned, mottled mare has accidentally come up behind the paint (for she was almost completely hidden among the tall, browning grass of the meadow) and rather than startle her or come off as violent, Wessex’s voice rumbles towards her from afar. A chilly, winter’s wind under a brilliant sun heralds the advent of what is sure to be a particularly bad season, causing the northern warrior to steel her spine against the intrusion. Yuck. And why is she here, again? To collect unsuspecting wanderers and throw them into an ice-wrapped kingdom for the like, the worst part of the year? Yeah, that’s a great way to make friends, Basin. Just great.

Muscular and large, the Corporal ambles another couple of steps towards the prone mare, stopping a good length or two away before tilting a spiked head in curiosity. “Are you alright?” she inquires, rather sure that the answer is yes, but it would be best to ask anyway. Professional ass-kicker though she may be, her code of violence does not extend to strangers who find themselves lost in Helovia’s woods - not when she, too, once found herself homeless here.

“I’m Wessex,” she offers - partially because in her mostly logical brain, she knows that those who give their name aren’t likely to attack - unless it’s for some silly, fable-like story that centers around legacy and revenge. And even then, that’s a terribly masculine way to do things, shouting ‘remember my name!’ and whatnot. Ah, but back to the subject. She waits for an answer, hind-leg cocked in an easy, relaxed position.

I am Iron and I Forge Myself

@Vahana
-- please tag in all posts! --
-- magic and force allowed, no death or permanent damage --

Aurora Basin Mare
Yoko
“Hello,”
Vahana jumped, startled at the voice of another. She turned her head to see another mare, a unicorn like herself, standing a small distance behind where she lay. Two orange-yellow orbs peered down upon her. Getting a better look, she could see that the grey mare appeared to be not much older than herself. Four tusk-like white horns, dipped in crimson, protruded from each side of her head, and another from the bridge of her nose. When the woman asked if she was alright, Vahana was not quite certain how she should respond, whether she should be worried about this stranger’s intentions or not.

With a grunt, she heaved herself upward, sturdy legs propelling her rather robust frame to its full height. Not that she was very tall, at only fifteen hands and three inches. She tried to remove some of the debris from her painted coat, which included dust and burrs and stray pieces of grass, but gave up, seeing as this could not be done in a timely or smooth fashion. “I’m quite alright, thank you. Just passing by.” She replied curtly, not bothering to give any explanation as to the circumstances under which she was found. She circumvented the topic altogether because for one, not even she knew the particular sequence of events leading up to that very moment, and secondly, she was not about to divulge details about herself to a complete stranger just yet. Father had always taught her to be wary of those she did not know well. Better safe than sorry.

Au contraire, the unicorn whom she faced did not hesitate to give out her name. Wessex. Vahana repeated the word, the name, a few times in her head. It rolled off the tongue smoothly. Was it a sign of good terms? If Wessex gave her name out so willingly, she must not be looking for trouble. Vahana breathed an internal sigh of relief. The policy she had created for herself was always to remain friendly, but not to become relaxed down too easily. Stay alert. But come to think of it, what really did she have to lose? Voice dripped from her lips, “My name is Vahana.”

@Wessex

Astor
The horns on her head dip down in a short, quick nod, absorbing all that the mare has given her, both physically and verbally. It appears that Wessex does, indeed, startle her, but it also appears that there is no harm done, as Vahana eventually calms down from her initially defensive posturing. The Haruspex can’t blame her, knowing full well how she sometimes comes off to strangers - they don’t know whether to pin their ears in hostility, laugh at her crown of horns, or stare in curiosity at her tail. A short quirk of a smile tugs at a corner of her mouth as she watches the paint, deciding to follow her lead.

“Well then, do you  some directions?” she asks, more than willing to help someone if they’re lost. But for whatever reason, she has an inkling that this woman may not just be ‘passing through’ like she claims. Wessex remains in her relaxed position, the wind tugging at her short mane and lush tail tuft. “If you need to rest more, there are safer places, too.” Not that the Threshold isn’t safe, but there are more secluded, protected places that might do better than an open meadow.

@Vahana  
I'm sorry this is shit, just wanted to get something up for you

Aurora Basin Mare
Yoko
As sturdy as she was, Vahana was beginning to feel the aftermath of her tumble in her limbs. Blood slowly oozed from a dirt-covered cut on her knee. There were probably a few other nicks here and there on her body, but she did not bother to inspect them. She wasn’t in pain, exactly, but she was beginning to feel weary from her travels in addition to, well, the feeling you get after passing out and tumbling down a hillside. Fortunately the grass cushioned her fall.

Vahana did not quite know how to respond to Wessex’s question, mainly because she did not know where she was going herself. She didn’t even know where she was. She did not know exactly how she had arrived at this place, aside from that she had descended from the mountains. She was completely and utterly lost, and for once, she did not mind. The knowledge that she must not be anywhere close to home somewhat put her at ease, because she did not want to go back.

Even if there was a small amount of concern budding at the back of her cranium, her expression did not show it. The mare was surprised at her own compose, and even lack of worry regarding the matter. Vahana had expected more. At first, she must admit, wandering alone with no sense of direction had made her slightly uneasy. Now she felt very free, surprisingly; she was free as a bird - free from her past, free from her uncle’s herd, although there were several faces she regretted leaving behind. The world was a canvas that was all her own, and she had yet to figure out how she was going to go about painting it.

But first thing was first. She would find out where exactly she was.

“I appreciate the offer but I don’t think I will be needing directions. Seeing as you are most likely more familiar with this land than I, would you mind telling me, what is this place? ” Vahana inquired, with a tip of her head. This odd mare, Wessex as she called herself, seemed agreeable enough that Vahana guessed she wouldn’t mind answering a few questions.

@Wessex
No worries! My posts definitely aren't the best either, haha.

Astor
What wasn’t previously evident is now, as Vahana stands and reveals signs of, well… something. A dark mass around the mare’s knees indicates blood, but the wound is older, and doesn’t seem to be a threat at the moment. Wessex’s eyes narrow as she takes the injury in - clumsiness, attack, or something else? If she was attacked while on Helovian soil, that is worrisome, but she’s seen others in worse states of distress and dishevelment, so the Haruspex isn’t too terribly worried at the moment.

Wessex nods curtly, horned head dipping up and down in a short, efficient manner. “This is Helovia, a rather large land which is comprised of three herds and other areas. We are generally friendly and open to newcomers - I am still in my first year here and don’t intend to leave anytime soon.” Not with the recent promotion to God’s mouthpiece, that is. Seems one of the big guys upstairs want her to stick around, and the battlemaid is happy to comply. “I live in the north.” She’s hesitant to give too many specifics, just because she doesn’t want to seem to be trying to persuade Vahana to stay, if she doesn’t want to.

Neediness isn’t cool, and we all know Wessex is as cool as a cucumber (Hahaha, right).

“Where did you come from?” Might as well see what’s going on beyond the insulating bubble of Helovia.

@Vahana

Aurora Basin Mare
Yoko
Helovia. So that was the name of this place. It didn’t ring a bell, but that was for the better. Something about it sparked her interest. Upon hearing its name, she suddenly found herself with the urge to learn more about this mysterious, magical  land of Helovia. After all, if a captivating creature such as Wessex made her home here, she wondered what other beings she might encounter. Where Vahana came from, a unicorn had only a single horn protruding from his skull. But six? And more scattered about the body? That was unheard of. “From what I have seen so far, although it is not much, Helovia is very beautiful. And you are quite intriguing too, if I do say so myself.”

As she was admiring Wessex’s unique attributes, she noticed the mare’s golden gaze watching the trail of scarlet oozing down her feathered foreleg. Wessex was probably wondering how that happened. The story behind her cut, from what she knew, was rather embarrassing, to say in the least. Better to be honest about it. “Oh, this?” She gestured toward the wound with a chuckle, without breaking eye contact, “It’s nothing to worry about. I just had a little...mishap.” She shifted her weight slightly so that a larger portion of it was placed on her bleeding leg, as if to demonstrate that it was still as capable of carrying her as any of the other three.

"Where did you come from?" The words rung in her ears.

That was a good and difficult question indeed. What should she say- she didn't want to give too much detail. It sounded dramatic, but her upbringing was complicated. Vahana was always challenged by the question of her past, because it did hurt some, but also because there were still missing pieces. She had been away from "home" long enough that it took a fair amount of thought on her part to recall specific names or places. Where she came from did not define her. What if Wessex knew of it? What if she knew the name of Vahana's wicked uncle. It was unlikely, but nevertheless, Vahana considered the possibility. It was a small world after all. She decided that she was most comfortable refraining from going into too much detail. That would be a story for later.

"I come from a land far away from here - hardly a speck on the map. You probably wouldn't be familiar the name." She explained, "I ran away, and I've been traveling on my own ever since."

@Wessex

Astor
There’s one thing the newcomer is right about: the number of strange creatures who walk Helovia alongside Wessex. She knows her own reasons for looking this way, and none of them come from her mother or sire - but there are horses with gills, unicorns with fascinating armor, dragon-mares, and women who seem to have walked straight from the ocean, or men who remain fluttering in the sky at all times. They have every color under the sun, every wing type and horn type imaginable, and Wessex somehow fits into all that.

She chuckles at the side-compliment, taking intriguing in a positive way, for unless she meets other war machines, the former Corporal knows exactly the kind of mixed hesitation and curiosity that comes with first impressions. “Believe it or not, there are others here who have equally intriguing features - and all of them are different.” Trying to make her gaze as neutral as possible, Wessex remains silent as the pink-horned mare offers an answer to a question that was not asked. The Haruspex isn’t the fussy type, like some Doctors, and as long as blood loss isn’t putting Vahana on the ground, she’s content to let mysteries be mysteries. Really. Everyone has their secrets, and that’s perfectly acceptable.

Including about their homeland. The mare seems to fumble with an answer, and rather than pry more, she offers another slow quirk of a smile, saying simply, “Whatever happened, the past doesn’t seem to matter much here. So no need to fear old ghosts.” She looks around at the browning trees of the Threshold as they drop their leaves and it seems like there is much to do before winter hits. “I’m not a great tour guide, chatting isn’t my thing, but I can show you more of Helovia if you want. I’m headed home from a patrol…” heavy shoulders shrug up and down. Patrols technically aren’t her responsibility any more, but she enjoys the solitude and well, habits are hard to break.

Besides, it wasn’t like anyone is going to come to her seeking wisdom or answers or anything like that. At least, she doesn’t think they will...  

@Vahana

Aurora Basin Mare
Yoko
Vahana pondered Wessex's offer. There was no harm in it, after all. Maybe she'd even find something to treat her wounds with. The scrapes on her legs were beginning to sting now as if she were entrapped in a beehive. A slow, aching pain crept up her body, a ginormous bruise wrapping itself around her sides, begging her to acknowledge its presence. It wasn't that bad, she wasn't in critical condition or anything and certainly not the worst she'd felt, but the aching pain was there and it demanded to be felt. She shifted her weight again in an attempt to alleviate some of the discomfort. When she spoke, her voice revealed little of what she felt, maintaining its naturally melodious tone. From childbirth she had learned to control it. She commented in good humor, "I must admit, I'd forgotten what it's like to have someone to talk to besides myself."

Having been away from civilization for so long, the mare had grown lonely in her travels, and indeed, she talked to herself more than she'd like to admit. Out loud. With emphasis on a lot. It was sort of embarrassing. She hoped she wasn't the only one to resort to such measures in her loneliness. In her travels, she had become friends with herself. And it was not necessarily such a bad thing.

Yet she wanted to see more of this land. The newcomer wanted to meet more of its inhabitants, if they were as Wessex described. Her imagination ran wild with all of the different features she might discover a being to possess. There must be something that Helovia had to offer an enervated wanderer such as herself. Vahana considered her options. She could go with Wessex, and she could learn more about Helovia. Perhaps she could even come to call it home. The only alternative that presented itself was to keep going and pray she would eventually find something better, and that was not something she much wanted to do. She was tired. She was bleeding. She was certainly not in the best shape for travel. There was one clear choice.

Sighing softly she shifted her gaze from the mottled unicorn who faced her, violet gaze to drifting away for a moment. Her unusual eyes studied the trees ahead in the distance, autumnal specks on the horizon, the ones from which her company had most likely emerged. At last Vahana spoke, words trickling slowly, deliberately, from her maw, "Your offer does not fail to entice me. After all, it'd be nice to have some company. I would not mind going home with you, just to go there and see for myself, if it's no trouble. Too long I've wandered without some sort of path or a purpose to guide me. Perhaps I might find that here..." She paused, then nodded, "Lead the way, I would not want to make you late."

@Wessex