the Rift

[OPEN] Flame [quest]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
With the spark weed securely (very securely—he did not want to revisit those sharp shocks) tucked away, the Elephant set off south once again; only this time for the Helovia’s Heart. Long, ivory and ebony limbs carried him at a brisk jog, which left Mbwene far behind him as he broached the cusp of grasses, sandy loam soil, and rock that surrounded the hot opening to the Heart Cave system. The stallion could feel his companion’s annoyance at his quick pace flowing through their bond. But Tembovu dismissed it, he was focused on the task at hoof.

Great, heavy skull dropped to the earth, muzzle shuffling through the dying grasses of late Orangemoon. Dark navy eyes searched through the grasses, seeking the Firecracker plant. Thought their glowing blooms would be gone, so the King was somewhat at a loss of how to find a particular grass among the sea of (mostly dead) grassy blades.

A sigh pushed out of his nostrils as he felt Mbwene grow nearer—and her petulant demeanor meant he likely would be searching for this particular plant on his lonesome. "Where is it?" was his low rumble to himself, long strides slowly moving him around the caves' awning mouth.

tagging @Astarot for interest, but open to anyone! (especially if they know anything about plants :P )

Part of his quest, searching for:
Firecracker plant - This plant stands out in the sea of grass surrounding Helovia’s Heart. It grows in small pockets and thrives in shade, allowing it to grow interspersed among the taller grasses. Reaching a maximum height of about 3 feet, the pale green stems and leaves are unremarkable until early birdsong when the flowers expand. The flowers boast a single petal, which curls around itself and dangles in a loose spiral. They bloom in a range of colours such as bright reds, oranges, yellows, and white and they glow slightly in the hours just after sunset. The flowers persist until mid-Tallsun and then the plant produces small, gold pellet-shaped seeds.

Please tag Tembovu.

Vulkán Posts: 16
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: Yearling (ages quickly)
Snow

"What are you looking for?"

The colt's unnervingly deep and utterly monotone voice rings out across the short distance between himself and the large unicorn stallion peering through the grasses nearby. Given his remarkably swift aging and thirst for adventure, Vulkán has taken it upon himself recently to begin expanding his horizons and travelling further and further away from the safety of the Throat. This is not as easy for the bulky young boy as it is for most others, because he has to consider his strict routine whenever he leaves home to explore a different land. Helovia is too large for him to be able to bank on returning home each night by his designated bedtime, so he's instead had to force himself to find other sleeping spots that satisfy his innate urge for order. Upon finding a satisfactory spot, he has to plan his day around making sure he's back to go to sleep at the same time each night, else he knows the panic that will await him.

To maximise the length of his day, the colt is out and about very early, as soon as the sun hits the notch on the rock that he times himself by. Thankfully, the Heart Caves' proximity to the Throat means that he will be able to return home to his favourite sleeping spot tonight, so he's in good spirits as he explores this new landscape. He hadn't intended on approaching anybody - his father especially is very strict on not talking to strangers - but he simply can't help his vague interest in the large man that wanders through the grass talking to himself.

A glance is given to the gaping cave nearby, and he ruffles his wings excitedly as he contemplates entering the yawning mouth to explore some more. For now, though, Vulkán's attention is focused on the unicorn stallion. His quad-horned head is tilted slightly to fix his lava gaze on the stranger, idly wondering what the man is looking for.

image credits

FLINGS THE WEIRD FOAL AT @Tembovu

Astarot Posts: 81
Dragon's Throat Sun Physician atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 2 (Birdsong) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zafír :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Pare
Astarot & Zafir

Zafir had followed the youngest brother as he slipped from the sandy throat Astarot had asked her to follow him at a distance, just to make sure he would be safe from harm. With Kaos lurking around there was no reason for the colt to be completely alone. Zafir flew high above the lava marked colt her scarlet eyes shifting between him and the path ahead. To her surprise a great stallion bared his path. 'Stranger!' Astarot's head flew up in astonishment as the word echoed through his mind. He knew companions could speak with their bonded, but it was weird for it to actually happen. He was moving instantly flying over the sands. 'Zafir! I can hear you speak now!' Excitement pulsed through him as the magic wings carried him across the sea.

'Good!' Her voice was brisk as if it was only a matter of time. 'Hurry.' He rolled his eyes a bright smile on his face as his hooves touched down. Dark clay legs carried him swiftly towards his brother. Zafir flew to his side as he neared the pair. He arrived just in time to hear his brother voice a question. Dual colored eyes shifted from Vulkán to a familiar stallion. "Hello Tembovu, Vulkán." His deep voice rumbled softly as he draw to a halt beside his much younger brother. He turned to smile down at the lava colt before turning back to The Elephant. "This is my brother Vulkán." He glanced down at the boy smiling proudly.

He turned back to the massive man eyes, "If you are looking for something maybe we can help." He didn't mind lending a hoof when he could offer one. Of course the unicorn might turn them both away and search for, whatever he was looking for, on his own. If that was the case then he would take the bay colt with him and show him around the caves. He thought of the glowing moss that lived in the cave, wondering if he could somehow transplant some to the Sun God's shrine. 'Stop.' He sighed and turned his attention to the blue dragon as she landed on his broad back. Now that she could talk he almost wished she couldn't, almost.

---------------------------------------------------
Talk
Words;; 373
OOC/Tags;; @Tembovu
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_trans_tag_by_are_we_...a8y6wy.png]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
He grinned slightly at the brothers — some misplaced melancholy stringing low, painfully sweet chords in his chest as their presence reminded him of his own childhood alongside his brother. That was a simple time—a happy time. How his life had changed since those simple days…

The great stallion shook his thickly horned head slightly, gaze defogging from reminiscing as his navy blue eyes focused on the first-appeared colt. He certainly looked young, but his deep and precocious voice was at odds with this appearance. And was that…steam coming from cracked skin on his small, dark shoulders? The Elephant’s head tilted, realizing that a glow quite similar (exact like, really) to his own elephantine magic came from those cracks. Perhaps this little colt would like to see his own magic…?

His attention swung towards the lighter-colored and older brother. He was familiar… “Hello, Astarot,” he greeted the young stallion, remembering him from his brief diplomatic visit to the Throat—though it had been interrupted by none other than the snake of a man, Toulouse. Still, an easy grin crossed the massive man’s face in greeting, “And hello, Vulkan,” his great head dipped to the colt’s level as warm navy eyes smiled towards the youth in hello.

“I look for the Firecracker plant; it’s a grass,” he looked around at the sea of dying grasses around them, “and I do not know how to find it without the flower…” his deep rumbled trailed off, perplexed dark brows knitting together.

“But, if you stand behind me, I will show you something, first,” his deep voice rumbled, grinning lopsidedly at the pair. The paternal part of him excitedly thrummed beneath his thick, scarred, buckskin hide. Though his magma magic was still dangerously destructive, he now had enough control over it to feel that he could (mostly) safely show the young colt.

His chest began to glow as he turned and aimed towards a nearby, large rock-mound. Sweat sprung to his skin, darkening his hide as the heat grew in his chest—roaring trumpets of elephants clamored in his skull, their angry calls screaming to overtake and control the Elephant.

Though it had been some while since he had used his magic and he could feel his resolve waver for a moment, the practiced strength of a general brought this hot power to heel. And from his chest slowly peeled a trunk, tusks, round feet, and dripping magma skin. The horse-sized beast leapt into a charge, seeking the closet thing it’s fury could find—ears flapping in anger and sending sizzling drops of lava to the grasses.

With a final, furious brandish of its trunk, the molten beast exploded on the boulder; loud cracks rent the air as the rock shattered beneath the brunt of power and heat. And the Elephant looked back at the boy and young man, a (somewhat goofy) and proudly paternal grin on his face—as if to say, how about that?!
the elephant
we can only hope to control
the beast within

...lowkey table change ;) @Vulkán @Astarot

hahahahahaaaaaa un-kingly, papa Tembo is hilarious to write. he's surprisingly goofy.
I wasn't sure how I wanted to end this, so I can edit it and leave it open-ended where his magma elephant explodes, if you guys have something different in mind!

:: [ Magic: EarthxFire | Can summon a mini-magma-elephant that charges opponent/nearest other and explodes on impact ]
:: [ Restrictions | Lasts for 20 seconds in battle and requires considerable effort and concentration ]

Please tag Tembovu.

Vulkán Posts: 16
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: Yearling (ages quickly)
Snow

He blinks benignly up at the big man, idly wondering whether this unicorn is actually larger than his Apa. Before he can voice his musings (assuming that this stallion will know Volterra - in the colt's small world, everyone must know his parents), his name is spoken in the distance and he turns to see his brother Astarot. "Hello Astarot, hello Zafir." He greets the dragon in the same breath as he greets his brother - he's grown up around dragons and knows that they should be valued just as highly as their equine brethren.

The large stallion greets Vulkán, who nods politely. He offers no introduction of his own, and since the colt does not put much value into names, he does not press the matter. Instead the stranger reveals that he is looking for a Firecracker plant, and the young scholar tilts his quad-horned head and blinks slowly. "If it is truly a firecracker plant, then it should be fairly easy to find - unless it is yet another one of those things named after something that it isn't. There's an awful lot of those, don't you think? The Heart Caves, for example. They are, indeed, caves, but I do not believe they have anything vascular in their midst, which begs the question as to how they obtained their name." Still his voice doesn't waver from its resolute monotone, save for a light lifting that denotes the question in the middle. It does not occur to the boy how strange his words may sound, especially given his young age - he rarely considers such things, as he truly does not understand them.

As the man offers to show him something, Vulkán obligingly steps behind him and watches. As a general rule, the colt does not feel many emotions, certainly not ones like empathy that he genuinely does not comprehend. He knows interest, curiosity, anxiety and fear; he also knows anger and frustration. Until today, he did not know awe, but he assumes the widening of his eyes and the gaping of his jaw can be attributed to this newfangled feel of his. When he sees the magma elephant erupting from the stallion's chest, he feels even his own cold, detached exterior melting with sheer admiration for the evident power of the strange unicorn; the elephant charges a boulder and explodes in a shower of ferocious heat, leaving the boy staring at the place where it was just moments before with his volcanic eyes bright with interest.

He quickly regains his composure. Boyish enthusiasm does not suit him, and feeling something he's unfamiliar with makes him uncomfortable. "That was interesting." He tries, he really does, to insert the awe he'd felt into his voice, but he fears that it does not translate properly. Save for a slight upwards lilt, he sounds as bored as he always does. "Is it only elephants you can make? If so, why specifically that particular animal?" He gestures with his whiskery muzzle to his own right shoulder, then. He's been so careful with his routine and his emotions recently that he hasn't leaked in a while, so the bay skin around the strange lava-markings is clean and unmarred by crusted magma. "Sometimes my markings here ooze lava, similar to your creation. I cannot seem to control it - rather, it appears to happen when I'm feeling certain emotions. It is most perturbing." Despite the content of what he's saying, the colt sounds as though he's remarking on the weather. "When I'm feeling particularly heightened emotions, the cracks on my horns leak, too." Now that is inconvenient, as it half-blinds him.

He looks back to the rock, now lying in ruins. "How do you trigger magic that is optional, rather than inadvertent like my own? Perhaps there is a way for me to control my...leakings." He keeps meaning to ask his parents how they use their magic, but now the opportunity has arisen to ask this magma-wielding stranger, it seems a shame to let it pass.

image credits

@Astarot