the Rift

[PRIVATE] What dreams may come

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie
Glacia

My body moves quickly, making my way towards the worlds edge. I have yet to stop and rest. The crackling and booming voice still ringing in my head. Everything was going south, fast, and I wasn't sure we, helovians, cold stop it. The world was going to come to a close soon, and there was someone I needed to say goodbye to, just in case.

I was fully intending on returning home, to Rikyn, but I hadn't told him I was going. I had taken Gwyn and left, long before dawn. He wouldn't be pleased when I returned, but I didn't care. I could protect Gwyn, but if we were meant to die today, than it would happen if we were traveling or if we were at home. I had to do this.

"Gwyn, don't lag. You must keep up. It is dangerous out here." My voice is sharper than normal, stress evident in the tones of a normally silken set of vocals. I wasn't wrong. Something could happen at any moment, and I didn't want to be caught in anything. I wouldn't feel remotely safe until we reached the Edge. At least there we would have others to be surrounded by. Even so, nowhere was safe.

"We are almost there. " In just a few moments we rounded through the brush to the Edge. I was unworried about patrols. Likely, everyone would be confused. I wasn't here for anyone but my father. And maybe, I could convince him to come back to the Basin with me. Maybe. "MAUJA THE FROZEN LIGHT!" My voice projected itself out, loud, demanding. It was no simple call. It was the voice of a daughter who had been avoided far to long, and now demanded the presence of her father, before it was too late.

"Talk."
@Mauja
@Gwyn
Set directly after the events of the gods leaving the herdlands.

image | bckg

Gwyn Posts: 10
Aurora Basin Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Newborn
Bunnie

Gwyn had not lived long enough to understand the dark foreboding of the hours slipping by; ears lifted as her mother slipped away to check in on something, she did as she was asked, and waited outside the glowing mouth of her father’s cave. When mother had returned, there was a restlessness about her that was strange, and, to a filly, anyway, exciting.

Life was most often placid and simple; a God’s voice did not often boom across the land, and she and her dam had never once slipped out of the Basin in such a hurry. When the realization that they were to go farther than Gwyn had ever gone stuck her, as well, a new found sense of adventure began to rise in her, which she kept quiet behind her obedient pace, set always near to her dam. “Don’t lag…It’s dangerous,” lingers in the back of her mind, but most predominantly is the newness, and the quiet question of what they were making their way so studiously to, which keeps coming to the forefront of her thoughts.

Her eyes, however, were never near to her mother, even if she was, their pale blue depths always cast far out into the forest shadow, or tracing the horizon, or the sky marked by the shadow of winged things above, and, when the misty forest at least revealed itself before them, its silver wakes of mist ebbing in and out of the dark trunks, her heart wells in wonder of its beauty. An orderly row of glass spikes shine starkly in contrast to the wild prettiness of the forest, and making a point to not go near those terrible tips now or later, she looks over at her mother with a smile, that almost asks what they are doing here. A smile that explodes into a giddy grin when she hears the name called out into that magical woodland.

Her grandfather! Was he really in there somewhere? She thinks, looking with wide, hopeful eyes and an anticipatory grin.

’cause you’ve got teeth like a wolf
but you cry like a sheep

Image & Code by Me

@Mauja
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
[ "I'm gonna see my grandfather!" lmao sorry he's skin and bones. ]

The thin mists swirled between the trees, lent thickness by the cold Orangemoon air—yet thinner than they ought to have been. The presence in them had vanished with their Goddess, and he had passed by more than a few herdmates looking lost and stricken.

Mauja wasn't lost and stricken, per se, but he ached all over, and had his doubts and concerns. But he kept them close to his heart. No reason to worry others. Speculation was plentiful anyway, and having watched Amaris nearly topple over the edge just because she couldn't keep track of her limbs and her hopes..? No. He didn't need to add his voice to this. Besides, he was just an old relic—some bit of driftwood in a horse's shape.

He lifted a hind hoof, brought it forward, put it down. Shifted his weight. Felt his thin muscles strain, his joints ache, his bones groan. He gritted his teeth. Moved the next hoof. Repeated the process. It was slow. It was tense. It looked highly uncomfortable, but half a year in the sea hadn't been kind. He should've been dead many times over, but he wasn't, and no one had ever said immortality was comfortable. He was skin draped over his skeleton, with barely anything between. That he walked at all was just because he was stupidly stubborn. Or just plain stupid.

"MAUJA THE FROZEN LIGHT!"

His name—full formality, full of.. well. Things he didn't want to deal with. An audience demanded, not even requested; a voice that brooked no argument. Someone was here to see him, and they would see him, because there was no other way this was going to play out. Come now or I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth—that kind of thing. Mauja stood still for a couple of seconds, trying to calm his racing heart.

Did his visitor know what state he was in? With fumbling care he changed his direction, heading towards the border instead—it was still slow going. Still only ever one leg being raised at the same time. There was no flow to it; it was halting and jagged.

He wondered when he had become a dog to answer the calls of others—since when he had evoked so little respect in others. Was he now, what they had always seen? A broken creature. A fallen creature.

He knew, of course, who it was. There was something about the voices and scents of your children. He didn't have any particularly grand, romanticized ideas about offspring—it had been one of his many thoughtless acts in life, but not even his fleeting nature could prevent some kind of bond from forming in his heart. Each child had carved themselves a place in his soul, but many of their nooks gaped empty and raw. Some, were filled with hope.

One was full of only grief.

It seemed to take forever, and it didn't get easier. His pulse thundered in his ears. His black nostrils flared. It wasn't dignified. It wasn't graceful.

It was walking death.

The lowering disk of the sun traced the curving outlines of two black bodies; one achingly familiar, the other so small he didn't even register it at first. His head was pounding, his muscles ached and when he finally reached them, his knees buckled without his consent. He didn't even get to have a say in it—his skeletal form folded and fell, a low groan making it out as his too-sharp body touched the earth. Slowly, he righted himself, his limbs folded beneath him. The owls, recovering slightly faster, had abandoned the sinking ship as it sunk, but slowly clambered back onto the sharp ridge of his spine, and huddled there.

He wasn't in condition to walk across half the herdland—and he had been pacing restlessly for too long already. For any other than his children, he would not have come. He blinked his blue eyes—too large in his sunken face—and fought to keep his heavy, crowned head lifted.

"Yes?" Death said softly.

[ @Glacia ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie
Glacia

We are left waiting for some time. I almost think that he wont show. It is long silences between Gwyn and I. Eventually he does come. Quietly, and if it weren't for his coat, I don't think I would have known it was him.

At first I don't notice. It is so slow, yet painful to watch when I do see him. He looked like he should be dead, but he wasn't. He held on. Why? I am frozen watching him, the husk of my father. He was thin when I saw him last, but it wasn't this bad.. My heart pounded in my throat, and I didn't know how to react. It was him, but his body so degraded. A shell of his former beauty. You could see hints of the brilliant stallion in his eyes, and the visible bone structure.

He was in slow motion, and right before he reaches me, he falls. I am immediately pushing off from my powerful hind, because I need to, I have to close the gap between us. I made a noise, that frankly I don't remember making. The wall, it was crumbling. Once big and strong, once it protected what was within, and yet it too had been worn by weather, and became ruins, only barely showing its former strength. Just as I reach him, He pulls his legs beneath him, and barely lifting his head he asks. Yes?

I am in front of him, looking at my father, who wasn't really him anymore. My legs fold beneath me, and my muzzle reaches out to touch his sunken face. I'm not sure what I feel looking at him. Anger, because I lived here for so long and he never found me, he didn't even come say hello. Heartache, Sorrow, because of his now condition. Regret, because I wished I had been there for him more, and happiness. He was still here. He hadn't left me in the most permanent way yet. Yet. Looking at him, I hadn't realized the tears streaming down my face.

"What happened to you?" My voice is soft, but pregnant with the pain I felt when I see him. I wanted to yell at him, to make him get better, tell him to get it together. I expected his breathing to stop at any moment. I wanted to never leave him again, nurse him back to health. "I..." There is so much I wanted to say to him, but what could I say? The last time I saw him, my state was nearly as bad as his. I was on my way to fling myself off a cliff.

In everything I had forgotten about Gwyn. If I had hands, I would have quickly wiped my tears, and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. "I'm sorry. This is Gwyn. She's your granddaughter.... Isn't she beautiful?" The tears well up again, choking my words as they came out. "I went back to the Basin... When I found out I was pregnant. Her father is Rikyn, son of Illynx and Ulrik..." I trail off, my ice eyes searching him. The world was ending, and I am convinced that I will lose my father. "Dad. I love you."
"Talk."

@Mauja
@Gwyn

QwQ <3

image | bckg

Gwyn Posts: 10
Aurora Basin Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Newborn
Bunnie

The waiting stretches into a long while, and Gwyn grows bored. At first, she tries to not be, and focuses upon the spikes, and the mist, but, before long, her hooves begin to fidget beneath her, and her pale eyes start to wander across the world around, rather than the one that allegedly hid her grandfather. With a bored sigh, she looks over to her mommy, a question of when is too long to wait lingering on her lips, just as a noise draws her attention back into the woodland.

She looks out with excitement, her heart picking up pace, her eyes widening to drink in the sight of her legendary grandfather: the Frostheart, the Frozen Light, she had heard stories of him enough to envision someone much more handsome and gallant than the frightening man which actually appears.

Stumbling, the skeletal creature collapses to the ground, and Gwyn’s anxious heart leaps in time with her hooves, a girlish scream of fear filling the air as she scurries back behind her dam. This was terrible! She thinks, her sides heaving with terror, the unknown before her drawing wells of sympathy and fear alike to the surface.

Even the owls drifting on silent wings down to the pile of snow and spots do little to ease the trepidation suddenly grasping the child’s heart, at the sight of one so piteously ill. It’s not until the heap of bones and flesh whispers, and her mother responds, that Gwyn comes to understand at all, and her wide eyes at last soften in understanding, from where they fretfully watched it all in the distance. As her mother’s body lowers to the ground alongside him, Gwyn understands, and the realization replaces her fear with … pity? Sorrow? Trepidation?

She is too small to know, she cannot name it, but it courses through her veins regardless.

Her… her grandfather?

Slowly, she comes closer, her ears lifted, blue eyes questioning. Why? How? Was this really him?

But he was twice a King!

This was not how I saw it, inside, what I wanted…

Hello, grandfather,” the princess says softly, when introduced, her nose bobbing hello, but her pale eyes alive with concern, with questions, and, as children are apt, she asks the difficult ones, not truly understanding what death actually is. Her experiences, thus far, had been finding the bodies of butterflies, which were beautiful, and the distant, fetid carcass of an elk her father had not allowed her to approach. So, the concept of death was quite similar to her: a beautiful shell, and a very strong smell. She had not yet come to understand that it meant a being would share nothing else, ever again. She does not know the word she wields is a blunt tool, which might knock her dam straight in the teeth. “Mommy, is he dying?

’cause you’ve got teeth like a wolf
but you cry like a sheep

Image & Code by Me

@Mauja
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
[ I'm sorry for having taken so long on these replies. :/ Love both Glacia and Gwyn. <3 ]

Okay.

That could've gone better.

They both screamed—raw, animal noise, shearing through the peaceful evening and drifting banks of mist. The small black shape backpedaled, taking cover behind the mare who was already throwing herself forward, hooves pounding the earth. Mauja's chest burned. His legs burned. His eyes burned, hot shame wrestling exhaustion, and neither really won out. They hung in perfect balance as he pulled his aching limbs close.

The world swam in his vision. The edges were blurred and dark; the breaths sucked in were a strange contrast to the softness of his voice, a little bit of his history coming alive and masking the rugged noise. His dark nostrils vibrated.

She was crying. Her warm nose touched his face, and the contact sent a jolt through him—it almost hurt, his nerves crying out once in the darkness, but no sound left him. He twitched, but it was barely enough to hold back the flood of exhaustion. For him, it wasn't death crawling up his spine, but sleep. His fragile heart was cradled in magic.

And what had happened to him, indeed? The ocean? Immortality? Life? He stalled, unsure of what to say, what to do—was this what they would've come to anyway, ten years down the road, if he hadn't been the chosen of the Moon? An elder, feeble creature, with soft, painful teeth and arthritis. Would she have taken care of him, lain down next to him to keep him warm on cold nights, and waited by him until the last breath whistled out of his lungs..?

Before he knew it, he was crying too, and the world spun a little as he fell back on his side. For a moment, he was worried that something else—something more sinister—had happened, but then he realized it was only the fact that he hadn't been able to balance his slim bulk in an efficient way, and the last of his strength had given out. So he'd fallen. Just like that. Sprawled inelegantly on his side in the grass, he looked very dead.

"I love you too, Glas," he managed to say, trying to keep the conversation in his head, in a way that it made sense; he was still reeling from the walk, from falling, from.. from Glacia's reaction. No one else had really commented on his state, and part of him understood, belatedly, what a shook it must've been to see this pitiful thing come walking out of the fog.

Well. And she didn't know he couldn't die, right? Gwyn—Ulrik's granddaughter—asked the question, but asked it of Glacia, not of him. "And hello, Gwyn," he managed after a while, not wanting to ignore the kid. Ignoring kids never worked out in anyone's favor. Carefully, he sucked in a deep breath. Held it. The owls sat on the flat of his shoulder now, staring at the horses with smoldering eyes. His heart was beating just a little easier now.

"I fell..into the sea," he began, straining a little to keep his voice above a whisper; he rarely made it more than a few words before he had to inhale, and start up again, "between frostfall..and birdsong. They only got me..out..a few weeks back." Which, yes, translated into I just spent over half a year lying in the water. And he wasn't crazy. He wanted to lift his head off the ground, to bring it closer to her, look her properly in the eyes, but he wouldn't manage to, so he didn't even try. "I..I can't die," he said, not sure how else to put it. Adding so don't worry felt cruel, but he wanted to reassure her—both of them, actually—and he didn't know how.

"Did..did you know..Ulrik was a..a friend of mine?" he said instead.

Because it's totally normal to try and make conversation when you're 99% dead, yep.

[ @Glacia ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here