the Rift

[PRIVATE] no use crying about it

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi & Natraj

She'd been happy. Despite the uneasiness, despite the imminent end of the world - coming home, seeing Amaris, knowing she had Sacre and Mortimer... it made her happy.

But if the Fire Dancer knows one thing, it's that her happiness never lasts.

----------------------------------------------------

Who's fault is it? Normally, Natraj would be quick to jump in and assure his sisters that it isn't hers, but tonight the fox is silent. He is just as torn as she, a war brewing between disappointment and self-loathing for their betrayal of those they loved, and a very sound knowledge that neither of them had been in full control of their faculties. In fact, the whole event was blurry, unclear, and difficult to remember. Both the fox and his sister held doubts as to whether or not the magic-aided dalliance had even really happened....

...until the copper child's sides began to swell, that is.

As though aware of their presence in their mother's thoughts the twins begin to shift, sharp edges pressing petulantly against the mare's viscera, her pleura, her bones. She winces- carrying one had been wretched enough, but two? Oh, she knows there are two. She can feel them, their magic, each distinct from the other. One is a cool breeze, a soft yet sharp prickle on her tongue; the other a soft sunrise, with magic that smells cinnamon and white. She even knows what their magic is, because it's wreaking havoc on her mind.

She sighs, and grits her teeth, anger and self-loathing rising like a tide within her. Perhaps the winding, narrow path to the Veins was a bad idea - the temptation to throw herself off it and into the harsh blue glow below is strong, and it only her own force of will and the concentration of Natraj that keeps her from acting on the impulse. "If you two don't cut that out, I swear..." the girl's deep voice groans out from behind her clenched jaw, and she turns black eyes back to the path ahead of her, desperately trying to drown out the whirlwind of emotions that rages behind her eyes.

She hates these children, and she hates herself more for it. She wishes she didn't, that she could push the feeling down- but she can't, of course, because one of the little shits keeps making her emotions flare up like wildfires in a Tallsun drought. Sweat is dripping from her brow by the time she reaches the ruined shrines; the sheer force of keeping the other child's magic from making her do something else regrettable has taken a toll on the Fire Dancer, who is now less dancer and more haggard waif. Part of her is content to take the punishment, to suffer as she does. It is her fault at all, for betraying those she loves; her fault for succumbing to the power of the wayward magic. It is her fault for resenting the twins the way does, even though sometimes she doesn't resent them - sometimes she loves them, deeply and terribly, and the force of that protective adoration scares her even more.

But one person cannot take full responsibility for the creation of life, no matter how they may try to- and so, in the absence of her partner in crime, a surrogate is found.

Dark is the night, with a moonless sky, but the girl who stands before the shrine of the absent deity is a beacon of fire and fury, of moonstone and wrath. She gazes upon the ruined altar and the sneer that crosses her face is ugly, unnatural - it doesn't suit her, none of this suits her, and whose fault is that?

"Yours," Fire Dancer hisses at the silent shrine. "This is your fault - yours, and all the gods who abandoned us - but mostly yours, you BITCH!"

The sea echoes back her enraged screams, and the wind seems to mock her as it laughs across the barren stone, dispersing her collection of embers and kissing her painfully, obviously pregnant belly.

A belly that holds the grandchildren of the Goddess her family had once so dutifully served.

I COULD BUILD A BIG MACHINE, DRAW PICTURES FOR THE WALLS
HANG UP ALL MY FRAGILE THOUGHTS, DISPLAYED THAT YOU MIGHT SEE

Image Credits

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
Mesec was still under the impression that what had happened hadn’t really happened. Actually, he was fully under the impression that none of what had occurred in the last little was anything close to being real. He was stuck in a dream, weighed down by some darkness or some trick. Helovia itself seemed dulled, hazy, which only added to his beliefs - there were rumours of a dark smoke covering the lands, cornering Helovian’s into the few that were safe. Not a single part of it made any sense and his mind simply was having trouble registering most of it.

He knew his mother was twisted, knew that her sense of logic had certainly caused problems before, but he didn’t think she was a coward. And abandoning the Edge? That was the act of a coward - a hypocritical coward. There was no other way to describe it - she wasn’t worth any attempt at sugar-coating or even more poetic words.

Of all things that was happening within this bizarre, twisted dream, being disappointed in his mother was the only thing that felt real.

Accompanied by Lucius and Lyra, Mesec drifted towards the Veins - not really with any sort of purpose, he wasn’t expecting to see any of the Gods while he was here. But he might see Vesper, might find part of his family.

His head still felt foggy when he spotted the chestnut figure standing in the veins - a vibrant contrast to the blues and blacks of the land itself. There’s a swell to her sides but, seeing as what had happened between them was a different dream than the one he was in right now, Mesec doesn’t believe he had any part in it. Surely, Tandavi was expecting a foal with someone she loved, someone she cared for, and Mesec was hardly on either of those lists. He wasn’t even sure whether she would greet him if he were to approach.

But the loud shout, obviously directed at the Moon Goddess, made up his mind on what he was going to do. “She is a bitch, isn’t she?” He offered, almost conversationally, as he came to a stop a few paces away from her. Lyra barking a hello to Natraj while Lucius circled overhead. Mesec’s companions didn’t believe they were in a dream - they believed what had transpired between Mesec and Tandavi had been very much real - but had learned that Mesec’s mind was still hazy enough that they couldn’t break through.

All they were going to be able to do was watch when he realized, when he found out, he was going to be a father again. And with someone who wasn’t Ki’irha.

MESEC
the nightwind
coding by Kyra
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi & Natraj

He comes, because of course he does, because what else could happen to make this situation worse but the face of her mistake, conversational and pleasant. She twitches at the sound of him, pulling away instinctively at his voice - a voice she doesn't know but through a dream, yet it is unmistakable, utterly recognizable, and the girl's heterochromatic ears flatten at it. Even Natraj is uncharacteristically uncomfortable, refusing to return Lyra's greeting and instead coiling beneath his sister's body, his whine a herald of the oncoming storm.

"Guess it runs in the family," the girl half-snarls, still staring at the ruined shrine. She refuses to look at him, because to look at him acknowledges his humanity, that he is a person capable of mistakes the same way she is, that she is just as guilty as he. In this moment it is easier for her to simply blame Mesec, to categorize him with his mother in the cast of characters who have ruined her life. The magic of her children still tears in her mind, and she feels herself spitting it at him without much control, wanting to inflict upon him the same spiritual wreckage she currently endures. Her emotions are sharp as the edge of a knife, razor-thin and ready to break; it takes all her control not to snap like a string and strike him right there. How dare he be so blase, so indifferent to this thing he has done to her.

She wants to say more, to spit out her feelings and her anger and her shame and lay it at his hooves - and, for once, she does. Usually reticent, usually quiet, the girl lets her child's magic wrap around her like a vice. "I love someone," she tells the sky, her voice a calm that contradicts the tension of her body, the brittle character of her stance. "Sacre." His name is a whisper, a choke, a sob- she is unfit to utter it now, and yet she uses it like ammunition, wields it like a sword in her swelling rage. "I love Sacre, yet here I am, and the children I carry are not his." They're yours, she does not add, because she assumes he already knows - that he and his mother somehow planned this, as absurd as that thought is.

She steps closer to the edge of the Veins, dark eyes wild as they look across the sea, copper form illuminated by magma and flame. "The Moon has brought such darkness to our world," she murmurs, deep voice calm. She thinks now of Hototo, of the many others murdered, of her mother, of the endless night. When she looks back at Mesec, though, her eyes are not calm. Nothing is calm about her. She wants to strike him, hard, to brand his heart and leave it beating on the floor. She has never been a wicked girl, but today, she is cruel.

"Wouldn't it be irresponsible, to let her line continue on?"

I COULD BUILD A BIG MACHINE, DRAW PICTURES FOR THE WALLS
HANG UP ALL MY FRAGILE THOUGHTS, DISPLAYED THAT YOU MIGHT SEE

Image Credits

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
Sacre’s name was worse than a slap to his face - it was a slice carved out of his heart, wickedly. He didn’t know that Tandavi loved his brother - but really, what did he know about the chestnut mare?

“Her line.” He repeated the words, stupidly, because right at that moment Mesec didn’t know that the children she bore were his, but the implication was quick to settle on him. Those dreams had not been dreams, had they?

There’s a small amount of joy at the idea of having more children - he doesn’t miss the plural in her words - but it’s quickly replaced by anger, and hurt. He had just gotten Ki’irha back, just made speeches to her about how she was a part of his family. When they were together… Mesec felt alive, every touch and word of hers was electricity over his skin.

When he looked at Tandavi, there was none of those feelings. Her voice was bitterness and cruelty, nightmares in a harsh tone. He wanted nothing more than to erase everything that had happened between them (which was real, wasn’t it?) and leave the moon-marked mare as a simple acquaintance.

Lyra, sensing the shift of emotions in Mesec, began to growl, her tails flicking wickedly as her attention focused on Tandavi - ready to intervene if she needed to. Lucius, too, began to circle closer down - keeping an eye on the interaction below.

He doesn’t speak much, until her last words - the implications tied up within them, cause Mesec’s confusion to crack. He hasn’t felt anger often, and it burns slowly and causes a chill through him - his silver eyes dead as they looked at her. “You’re a lot similar to my mother with that threat, Tandavi.” He snarled her name, but didn’t move any closer towards her. “Do you think you’re the only one who loves someone else? Do you think I wanted to....” Mesec shook his head, bordering on disgusted - but he wasn’t quite sure whether he was more disgusted with Tandavi or with himself. Part of him knew he wouldn’t normally talk to her like this, that there was still something unnatural happening. But he didn’t care about sparing her feelings anymore. “I don’t know what was going on that day but you weren’t exactly telling me to stop, were you? You can’t paint me as the villain in this, I won’t let you.”

The anger subsided and his voice became more pleading, as if he could will her into sanity. “It was a mistake, Tandavi. A terrible, horrible, soul-shattering mistake. But one we both need to live with.” Now that he knew she was carrying his children - she wasn’t ever going to get rid of him now but he didn't want to have to fight her to stay in her life, in their lives.  
MESEC
the nightwind
coding by Kyra