the Rift

Airmail [mirage]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
How can we win? When fools can be Kings
The mists came with there own greeting as Hector's flight took him slowly to the ground, hooves gently arriving upon the soil of the Worlds Edge. It was a roundabout way of going home, where one would simply fly over the thistles and across the heart Hector's route was much wider. The weather was colder too. Orange hair hung limp from his leonine tail and feathers felt heavier than normal. He tucked his overly large wings into his damp sides, shuffling them until they sat comfortably, and then looked about his surroundings. He stood not far from the cliff edge and at the brim of the winter stricken forests, their bare branches like something out of a scary story. Hector shivered at the unwelcoming feel this land gave, he could hardly see much in front of his own face for the thick mists.

A sigh of impatience blew from his mouth as he walked past the first tree and stopped once more. Clearing his throat to project his booming voice better. "I bare a message for the ears of the Dragon Heart" his vocals sank through the trees, their branches creaking and swaying in the winds. Hector began to plan his route home whilst he waited, thinking on all the things he wanted to do once he got back. Maybe he'd stop off at the heart for some exploring. He gave the blackening skies a disapproving look, the way home was far enough already without an added complication of stormy conditions.

The orange stag shuffled further into the wooded area unconsciously and waited patiently for somebody to answer.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
It was unusual, the summons that echoed across the DragonHeart's lands this afternoon. Frostfall made the air frigid, but the breath breathed by this creature was warmed by a fire that burned within, hotter than a furnace. The majority of this winter was spent not in the form of a fragile equine body, but rather the impenetrable, indestructible body of a dragon. Golden scales glittered brightly against the pale snow that was littered across the ground, though it was sparse thanks to the many camp fires that had been lit to preserve warmth amongst those who were less fortunate. The dragon was not amongst the trees today, however, but she instead lingered over the cliff's edge, clinging to the sides with her powerful, dextrous claws. Akaith, the miniature golden companion, chittered amusedly from a spinal spike that grew from Mirage's nape, thrilled that she could share these adventures properly now with her bonded.

But both beings diverted their attentions upwards as the call went out, asking for the DragonHeart directly. With a smile curving the scaled lips of the larger dragon, she requested her small queen to fly on ahead of her, and so Akaith did. The little dragon easily scaled the edge of the cliffside that gave their homeland its name, soon coming across a strange winged steed, of whom she immediately sent a picture to her bonded. The little dragon called out to the curious tribrid, but almost as soon as she had, a deep, yet strangely welcoming, melodic tune seemed to shake the very earth beneath them. It was a smooth harmony, if one listened closely enough, sung by a dragon much larger than the little Akaith, a true queen of dragons who rose into the skies with graceful strokes of her leathery wings. It was the song of the DragonHeart, who landed with delicate ease on the edge of the world, tail hanging over the side while sparking claws clutched her bodice to the terrain of the Edge.

"The DragonHeart shall listen to your message." The great golden beast informed the stallion with quiet, kind tones. She was grateful that in her transformation, the ability to articulate speech had not been lost, the scales about her lips were malleable enough to still shape words. Though her voice had a definite 'dragon-ness' about them, they still held that exotic accent, and smooth, soothing melody that simply was, Mirage. Dipping her cranium, the dragon greeted the steed as if she were still in equine form, hoping that the message of her magic had been spread amongst their allies - for her predator's senses allowed her to know what herd he hailed from. It was curious, though, she could detect the definite sandy scent of the Throat upon him, and yet the musk of the mountains by the Foothills seemed to linger about him also. And another scent, one she recognised as a mare who called herself a friend and sister - Daenerys. Mirage was curious about this creature, and hoped that he might linger long enough for her to hear his message, and then perhaps learn even more about him.

Settling down so that all her limbs were folded beneath her, but her wings were ready to unfurl and leap her body off the edge at a second's notice, the DragonHeart waited.

She came but most certainly not in the way he had expected. Orange pools were wide as a little golden dragon sent a call to him, and that would have been wonder enough but all had not been seen, for another dragon came into his presence. This was much bigger than the miniature above, yet she was of acceptable horse height. Her scales marvellous and gold, claws drawn as she came down onto the surface, wings so large and a tail that could probably route whole regiments in a single swing. He had heard about her shifting form in briefing from the Throat but nothing could really prepare the poor steed for true appearance of Mirage the DragonHeart. Hector stood, mouth agape, as he tried to rearrange his thoughts into something coherent and come to terms with the fact that maybe he wasn't the only 'strange horse' in Helovia.

"I- Errm-" his booming voice faltering for a moment before he swallowed and began again. "Paladin the Valiant entrusted me to relay this message to you, due to injuries he cannot make the journey himself." Hector was beginning to wonder if Paladin had chosen not to come here for other reasons than just injury, orange pools still looking at Mirage in awe.

"He asks that you speak to my leader, Kri the Resolute, on behalf of him. Explaining the reasons he had taken Chiefdom of the Foothills, he says you had already agreed to do this." His task was complete, he had relayed the message and honoured a tender alliance. For now he would wait for the response of the Edge Leader before making his journey back home. He wondered idly if he should have offered his name. Was it polite or necessary in this instant? Hector had never been in such a situation before and he was unsure how to act.

Instead he waited for an answer.

[ooc; sorry for the shoddy post D:]

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The dragon listened patiently as the steed gathered his thoughts and prepared himself for speech. She was impressed by the speed of his recovery, for being faced by a dragon, even a relatively small dragon on the grander scale of things, was a true test of one's resolve. Her eyes, which were invariably sharper in their focus than that of her equine body's, keenly observed him, scrutinising him - even admiring his strong build of body.

She heard the message with a moment of confusion, wondering what it was Paladin was referring to - what had she agreed to? She remembered him speaking of being an unbiased third party to disputes and issues - had he some ill respect between himself and Kri? A sigh left her nostrils, unintentional smoke rising away with it.

Mirage further wondered at the method Paladin had chosen to have this message delivered. Akaith made fairly regular trips to the Foothills to visit Mirage's brothers, surely he could have given it to them? Or did he not trust them? But he trusted a stallion not even of his own herd? It was a puzzling situation.

The dragon-mare would stay true to her word however, despite the odd circumstances.

"I will do as he asks, though I know not what effect my word will have." She spoke quietly, mostly to herself, confirming that she heard and understood the message the tribrid brought.

"Thank you, ...messenger?" The words were offered by way of inquiring after his true identity. "Forgive me if I am wrong, but you do not seem like the type who spends most of their time delivering messages. Might I know more about you?" Her tones were spoken with a polite, lighter air, silently conveying that the stallion was welcome to find shelter and linger within the borders of the Edge for as long as he allowed - being a member of an allied herd, this was the promise gifted to him by the World's Edge.

Hector dipped his head in acknowledgement that the DragonHeart had understood and his task truly was complete. He was about to excuse himself but she spoke once more, his orange pools watching her as his lobes drank each word put forward. A ripple of strange shock simmered through his body as the dark femme asked of his identity. There was still much the boy needed to learn about this land, it was so different from his old home, the strict rules did not apply here and it would take some time before her adjusted to it. A shy expression formed on his rather large features as he put thoughts into words and spoke. "There is not much to know, I am Hector, still new to this land and still learning as I go."

At first, he found her question baffling. Did his presence really suggest something else, Hector had been taking orders from others throughout his entire life. Although what Paladin told him wasn't exactly an order, Hector didn't really know how else to take it. If he had to fight, he would fight. If he had to carry messages, he would carry messages. Finally, he found the words that expressed his feelings the most and as quiet as his loud voice could manage, he voiced them to this mare. "I'm not sure what I look like to you, but I have two strong wings and four steadfast legs. I suppose, I had no real reason to reject the favour asked by Paladin." It was almost like he was repeating what his teacher had always said to him when he was made to do menial jobs, teacher never did take complaining very well and it had rubbed off on his pupil. Hector was the soul of practicality and duty.

He was still on his way home, the World's Edge was only a slight detour.