the Rift

[OPEN] The Ants Go Marching

Casca Posts: 5
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1 hh :: 0 (Orangemoon)
Shady

CASCA

Perhaps to the rest of them it was darkness, but to Casca, it was just his world. A singular perk of being born into endtimes, one might say—he had nothing to compare these woods to, no memories to miss. Had the forest suddenly returned to its former glory, the rotting reversed, the mist turned playful, and the constant chirps and chatters of residents who had long since abandoned the place renewed, he likely would have been more alarmed than delighted. These woods were what he knew: the crunchy, blackened moss beneath his hooves, the sweating toadstools, and the loamy smell of decay. And the ants.

The ants, however, were a new discovery, and thus had required his immediate attention when he’d awoken from a nap and seen them marching in a never-ending line right past his nose, up over the hillocks and through the trees. Huffing, the red colt had scrambled up to investigate—Brother was near, and so were Ma and Da, and so he’d had no qualms about wandering off after the strange, scuttling creatures trekking determinedly away from his sleeping place. Where were they going? Why? He had to find out.

Casca followed the line for some time, treading carefully so as not to step on the little black-armored soldiers, observing with great curiosity as they moved along. No obstacle seemed to deter them; the arrow-like precision of their path only interrupted by detours that skirted the borders of murky puddles. Everything else they marched over or under with measured efficiency, always taking the shortest path—but to where?

It seemed though, that he would not know, for soon the trail had led him to the border of the forest, beyond which he had been given strict instruction not to stray. The glass spikes rose forebodingly before him and Casca hesitated, looking up at the sharp edges glinting in the dim light. The ants, however, were not deterred. Having received no such warnings from Ma or Da, their single-file rank wound between the shards and disappeared into the mist, a wavering line of tiny bodies stretching into the distance. “Where are you going?” he whispered to them, pale eyes surveying their path. “And what are you, anyway?”

Of course, the ants gave him no response. The red colt sighed, and settled for watching them trek past, legs splayed awkwardly and muzzle nearly touching the ground. He remained like that for several minutes, but with each passing insect, the boy’s curiosity only grew. Finally, when he could no longer stand it, he straightened. Casca glanced left, then right—surely if no one saw him leave, they wouldn’t worry, right? He would only go a little beyond the spikes, just to get a better view, and he’d be back before anyone even realized that he was gone. There was a gap in the wall just big enough to allow a smallish colt to slip through, and through he went.

The outside world beckoned.

"blah blah blah."

OOC: Set just outside the border of the Edge since the board has closed!

@Thranduil

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk

It was the gold’s turn to keep watch. While the twins had slept in the midday sun they’d traded off. The dark stag came stumbling in, his head, antlered and ever proud, carried heavy. The gold watched him come. ”Hal-“ The stag looks up, expectant, with rings worry around his eyes. The gold rumbled to him, words not being able to express his meaning. The tired, weary stag stopped. The past week had been unfair upon him as well. Long hours by both spent watching and keeping had left their relationship frayed and shattered. Even before they had been at odds, keeping each to their own corner. Crowned head lowers, rumbling again, more tender. The dark stag answers, letting a low grouff break across. The gold flinches, but he reaches out, his nose brushing the dark antlers. A low short squeal he lets across, and the stag visibly sags, moaning. The gold rumbles again, but this time he steps forward letting his head fall over the stag….their meanings and actions needing no translation.

Now the gold circled his keep. The growing doom kept them close to the border, and as such, it gave the excuse for the gold to wander beyond the wall. Even given his midnight talk with the pale colt, the gold still wandered the line of his old versus new self. The desire to slip through the shadows of night to steal away at the knowledge of the world still rang in his ears. It appears he was not the only one.

“Casca.” He really needed to stop running into his children like this. Earth eyes gaze over the strawberry rose colt, thin and small. Gold harks twist back, and he wonders, now for the hundredth time, how he and Hotaru had produced such fragile colts. Especially now, when the world demanded strength. Crowned head tilted, “What are you doing my son?” Where Galahad thought with his emotions, Casca seemed…more thoughtful, so it was with genuine curiosity that the gold asked.

Still, no trouble would he bear the colt. There were at least a few characteristics of his sons he could be proud. Curious. Bold. Adventurous. Perhaps the rest would come in time. “Why have you wandered so far?”

OOC :: <333
"speech"

Posting Poetics
Image by the AMAZING Vossity

@Casca

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Outcast
Shady

CASCA

To be fair, Casca had originally intended too venture only just beyond the border, but the thrill of his escape rather inflated his sense of boldness. He really couldn’t see much better from here, he discovered; perhaps so long as he kept the wall in sight—

“Casca.”

His father’s voice cut through the mist and the red colt jumped, visibly startled. “Da!” the boy gasped, already stumbling over an excuse, “I—“ But surprisingly, Da didn’t seem mad, just…interested? Casca’s ears flopped back, then sideways as he assessed the situation. If Da wasn’t angry, he supposed that was all right, but what if he told Ma? Or—the colt’s blue eyes widened as the more frightening idea occurred to him—what if Ma was nearby? He could imagine no end to the scolding he’d get if she knew he’d disobeyed her. In a failed attempt at subtlety, he peered beyond his father, scanning the mist for flashes of the telltale pink.  “I, uh…”

“Why have you wandered so far?”

Da’s tone was relaxed, but his voice commanded a response—and he’d better think of a good one at that. “I, um, I…” the boy faltered, shifting his weight from one hoof to another, “…I was chasin’ the invaders outta our home!” he cried, face alight with the brilliance of the response he had concocted. A tiny hoof stamped defiantly, dangerously close to the line of ants, and he bared his teeth aggressively at the little creatures that he had been so intent on following only moments before. “Go’n—get out!” he shouted gleefully, the force of his breath nearly knocking one of the poor things on its back.

Confident that he had put on a convincing performance, Casca turned back to his father, striking the most casual pose he could muster. “Anyway, I think I scared ‘em off. What’re you doing out here, Da? And where’s Ma?” he added, remembering that he ought to have all his bases covered.

"blah blah blah."

OOC: :DD

@Thranduil

The gold can not contain his grin as the colt startles. He was so unlike his twin. How could they be of the same blood…of the same birth? He muses while he watches his son process this questions, and stumble on the answers, and looks around as if checking for betrayers or other signs of trouble. But no, his father would not bear the wandering child any ill will, especially as it turned so humorous for him.

The colt tries to turn it on him, but he only gets raised brows and a small laugh for his bravery. “Casca….” Yet he does not anger, waiting still. The colt was not in trouble, but he was the gold’s son, and as such, the Laurelin expected an answer.

At his answer the gold has a fleeting moment of panic. Invaders- No…not real ones…ants. But the gold can not immediately laugh like he wanted to. It reminded him, painfully clear, just how close the danger was. How fragile his family might be… The gold swallows hard, finding his mouth dry, but his ears finally tune back into the words of the colt. Anyway-

The colt again questions him, and it gives the Laurelin such a joy in his own child he can’t help but smile again, even given the doom and gloom still pressing his chest. He could not say it, not even to himself, but it was obvious the gold loved his sons. Each in their own way brought him from the depths of his own flaws, and filled the voids of his life with reminders that there were still good things, humorous, strength, love or other, in this world.

“I suppose you did.” He rumbles in humor at watching the colt cock himself as at ease. Again he questions him, and this time he gives. “Ah. I was trying to find a suitable head for this.”  He reaches back to his satchel, but another question comes, halting him as he dug through the bag. The gold grins, turning back to his son. “Not here…and far from knowing of your secret adventure.” He rumbles a laugh before turning back to dig into his bag, before finally he draws out the gold object. “Ah-hrere itz iz.” He says with it between his teeth.

He pulls from satchel the crown of life. Gold branches, twisting and bending like his own, but set with gems of green as leaves. The crowned gold lays the circlet upon the grass. “Now perhaps you can help me my son.” He looks with warm humor. “I’ve been looking for a head to wear this crown. A proud one. One who bears a strong blood of wolf and gold. Of Valkyrie and Laurelin….A red prince of Helovia, not afraid to chase away invaders no matter how big…or small. A head strong enough to bear such a crown…” The same gifted words he twisted for one twin, he now does for the other. Each given the gift of pride and strength. Gold head tilted. “Now, Casca, do you know of anyone like that, because I think I do...” His grin grew as his head lowered to be level with the colt’s, gold sparks in his eyes glowing.

OOC :: I love this  
"speech"

Posting Poetics

@Casca

Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Outcast
Shady

CASCA

Da seemed to accept his story, and with the reassurance that Ma was far, far away, the boy grinned. It seemed that despite his little transgression, he would be quite safe—a fact which pleased him immensely. It would be their secret, just his and Da’s (and maybe Gal’s, if he swore never to tell Ma). Though Casca was too young to realize that secrets were essentially the family business, something about this first confidence attracted him nonetheless. The intimacy of the knowledge he now shared with Da, the thrill of this small deception…Casca was not a duplicitous creature by nature, but he felt a warm glow as the silent agreement settled between them.

However, that blush of excitement was nothing in comparison to what he felt when Da pulled the crown from his bag. “I was trying to find a suitable head for this,” Da began, but already the red colt was rushing up to him, neck craning this way and that as he shamelessly ogled the trophy. His father set the circlet in the grass, and the boy nearly pounced upon it, baby whiskers brushing the gems and shallow breath fogging the cool surface of the intricate metalwork. “What kinda head, Da?” he asked, though he really wanted to shout, me! Mine! My head!

“A proud one,” his Da went on, “One who bears a strong blood of wolf and gold…” Here, the boy tilted his head, mistaking his father’s meaning for a literal one, but the drooping ears stood on end once again as Da continued: “A red prince of Helovia, not afraid to chase away any invaders—“

“THAT’S ME!” he squealed, squeaky voice threatening to drown out his father’s monologue in his uncontained glee. “I’m the head!! Right, Da? You’re not just foolin’ with me?” He danced a little breathless jig on the spot, wheezing from the exertion but ignoring the protest from his underdeveloped lungs. “Ooooh, lemme try it, Da, put it on!” he demanded, taking it in his teeth to pass to his father.  “I’m gonna look just like you!”

"blah blah blah."

OOC: :DD

@Thranduil

The colt was not the only one who enjoyed a good secret. The gold lets his tasseled tail flick with pleasure to feel the bond strengthen with the colt. Of course Hotaru never saw it that way when Thranduil ever let the colts break the rules….but he had to have a little fun…

Casca practically leapt for the circlet. The Laurelin was humored, laughing at his fun, but within a small note of concern was made. Both of his sons…both had been drawn, possessively so to objects of worth. One hark flicked back in thought. He knew they would have the characteristics of both parents, and as both he and Hotaru had quite impressive…collections, it shoudn’t be a surprise, but it was…Were children born greedy?

Still, there was nothing wrong with it of course. The gold snickered in his thoughts. After all, he turned out just fine. The red colt jumps the gait, and it makes the gold sigh, but still with a humored mood. “Yes I do think your head would suit.” He rumbles to the question. He moves to pick up the circlet, but then….In the silence of his own breath he hears the wheezing one of his son’s. The smile fades slightly, not enough perhaps to notice.

It was just another reminder that their colts were fragile…not weak. Being born under such circumstances and conditions would not make that possible. But even Casca could not escape with womb without limitations. Not that the gold blamed his mate….if anything he blamed himself…he shouldn’t have pushed her to ret-

Enough. The circlet was out in front of him and he pulls up the corners of his mouth again. “Even better perhaps.” His whispers before taking the band. Carefully, trying to build the importance he slowly slips the circlet over the nub of horns and firmly on the head. Pulling the colt’s tuffy mane out, he steps back. “Ah, perfect fit, a fine princely head born for a crown.” The gold dipped his own in mock admiration, even letting a tumble of laughter come back to his voice. “Now tell me, crowned son of the gold, are you ready for another stealth lesson?” Already he’d been teaching his sons basic skills, how to avoid twigs and noisy paths….perhaps some would say they were too young….”So you’re ready for the next invaders?” But the gold thought they were naturals anyway.

OOC ::
"speech"

Posting Poetics

@Casca

Outcast
Shady

CASCA

From the moment that Da settled the crown on his head, it felt right. Perhaps it was only natural, seeing that Ma and Da (especially Da) liked to wax poetic about their princely heritage, but Casca had never felt truly special until now. Feeling the gentle weight of the metal encircling his ears, the red colt stood a little taller  and the tiny chest puffed forward ever so slightly. “I can’t wait till I’m big ‘n strong like you, Da,” the boy chirped, admiring the effect of his Da’s own crown. There was something about it that just made him seem so powerful. Would he be like that one day too?

Seeing as he admired Da more than anyone else in the world, when his father offered another stealth lesson, Casca jumped at the chance. “Yeah!” the red colt agreed with a series of vigorous head bobs to signal his enthusiasm for the idea. Time alone with his father was a rare treat indeed, and Casca intended to milk it for every minute that it was worth. He wasn’t very good at the sneaky steps that Da had showed him and Gal—somehow, he always managed to snap an errant twig—but he was eager to please. “Look Da, I been practicin’!” the boy told him, demonstrating the exaggerated catlike walk that had resulted from his bastardized interpretation of “sneaking.” Ever so carefully, yet with great flair, he set down one cloven hoof, then another…and then, as he turned back to see his father’s reaction, Casca snapped another twig. “Shit,” he muttered, and then remembering that he wasn’t supposed to use a swear (no matter where he had learned it originally), glanced sheepishly at Da.

“Darn?”

Maybe he would be better at whatever Da taught him today than he was at quiet feet.

"blah blah blah."

OOC: this is like my favorite thread

@Thranduil