the Rift

come to me [mauja]

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

The young mare had sat idly by since her induction into The Plague, waiting for Psyche to give them instructions or for Mauja to step up and get the group moving but he'd sat back and nothing had been done. It was a little frustrating, she admitted to herself, but the inactivity had given her time to roam Helovia and observe herds from a distance. She'd also been able to observe the other members of the herd and the plague. In particular she'd watched the plague doctor, d'Artagnan. Secretly she'd longed to have some sort of responsibility. Being a simple member of the scourge did not allow her to do enough. It was with the desire to be more useful to her king that Kou ventured into the heart of the forest that she knew he frequented. She traveled in the dark of night with only the moon to guide her.

Her travel finally ended when she reached the heart of the Edge's forest. She stood in a section where the moonlight penetrated the protective canopy the trees created. Under the moonlight her pale hide seemed to glow, the silver strands in her mane and tail shimmered in an ethereal way. Anyone traveling would be sure to spot her, this she was confident of. If her king was close by when she called for him, should he come, he would see her waiting for him.

"Mauja, my king." She called into the darkness. "I wish to speak with you of important matters." She listened to the fading echo of her voice and she waited for the arrival of her king.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Mauja the FrostHeart
ice cold man watches earth die, eternal winter takes its reign

The Moon had blessed his home with cool, beautiful nights, and since the heat of day had him paralyzed most of the time, Mauja preferred to roam at night. His thoughts needed movement, and the body provided it, but only in the dead of night. Now, the wraith-king strode through his dark forest, silver moonlight filtering down to touch him and set him all a-shimmer. He was used to it, though, and enjoyed the silver rays playing across his broad white back. Auja loved his Moon.

Many things weighed on his mind, and he found himself torn between his priorities: the Plague had been installed as a means to reduce equine and pegasus populations, but so far little had come of it. And yet this whole debacle with the Sun made him hesitant of seriously harming hornless Moon followers... But could he ever really lead a mixed band in a war against the Sun? He wasn't sure he could hold onto his control for that long. What was he to do? What could he do? He wanted to charge a tree and stick his horn into it and his head up to the withers and just ignore the world and hope the problems went away, but he knew they wouldn't. The stupidest thing was that the only ally that came to mind in the war against the Sun was the mare Mirage - an equine! The FrostHeart groaned and surely would've spent the rest of the night wallowing in despair if it wasn't for the familiar call that rung between the trees.

Important matters, my Kou? Mauja turned in the direction of her call's origin, releasing his own thundering cry. I'm coming.

And then the Edge's King was cantering through his forest, knowing that the distance was not long but he had nothing better to do - so why not hurry up then? The fog parted around him and streamed out behind him like a banner, and the ground echoed with the sound of his heavy hooves. Finally, the slim work of a mare came into view - she was beautiful, the epitome of a unicorn, and she was capable. He was glad to have her on his side, in his Plague. He was glad that she wasn't stupid and swooned over the other species.

"Kou," he called out, slowing to a graceful trot before eventually sliding to a halt in front of her. Mauja's large head reached out, pale muzzle bumping against hers in a warm greeting. The frost upon his horn shimmered as he gently touched it against hers before he withdrew back and regarded her with his cool eyes. "What is on your heart?"
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

His thundering cry echoed between the trees and a smile flashed across Kou's face. Her king was coming, answering her call. The heavy hoof falls of his approach were the next sounds she heard ringing through the forest. The mare stood firm, tall, confident, as she waited for the pale form of her king to emerge from the trees and when he did he nearly took her breath away. He was beautiful as he always was. Muscles rippled beneath his speckled coat and it was no surprise to her why Psyche was drawn to the stallion and trying to claim him as her own.

"My king." The mare murmured as Mauja touched his muzzle and horn to her own. He withdrew and they stood face to face. She waited quietly for him to speak and when he did she smiled once more. "I wish to speak with you of The Plague, my king." she answered.

"I do not wish to speak ill of Psyche, but her lack of action is causing unrest. I can see it and I can feel it within myself." Yes, the organization was secretive, but that did not mean that they should do nothing. "I wish for more responsibility, Sire." She continued on. "We have one doctor in our ranks but we have no nurses for the doctor, d'Artagnan, to teach." She paused to contemplate her next words before speaking again. "It is my desire to become a nurse and learn from d'Artagnan. I believe that by promoting me that others will see that The Plague has not died out. It will show that we are still active and still harbor the same goals and ideas as when it was established."

She paused again then dipped her head. "Forgive me if I am being too forward."
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the FrostHeart

She was a beautiful unicorn, smooth and well-mannered. It was a pleasant change, and he found himself relaxing as she so easily accepted and bolstered his dominant position. While her use of his title was mildly excessive, it was better than being questioned, and Mauja gave her a small smile. Maybe in time she would learn not to fear him, and to know that he was not the type of king who roared and asked others to get on their knees - as long as they didn't mean it as an insult, his subjects, those he were sworn to protect, were welcome to call him Mauja. It was, after all, his name, wasn't it? He was the soft snow, the winter curse, the frost in autumn that heralds winter... He was everything that was cold and pale.

The Plague. Of course, it and Psyche had often crossed his mind as of late, but his eyes did narrow a fraction. How far would she reach? Would she seek to take over her position? He wasn't certain he'd go that far, yet, but he withheld judgment and listened in silence. Perhaps he hadn't given her sensibility enough credit - Kou was, after all, not stupid. She wished for more responsibility, and to study under d'Artagnan. Mauja would never dream of saying it didn't please him, nor would he ever tell her that. The faint suspicion that had been etched on his cool face faded, replaced by the open expression he often wore when conversing with his Unicorns. "But of course," he replied smoothly, turning to look at the dark forest surrounding them. "I admit that we have grown scarce, and I enjoy that you step forward. There is seldom something wrong with ambition, as long as it is kept in check and let out only in safe channels."

The FrostHeart was of the mind that this was a safe channel, and for a good cause. Perhaps Kou would bring about a turn in the Plague's ranks, and make even those who doubted remember that work in the shadows isn't bad. No work at all, though, was worse, and that trend had to end. Mauja took a step back and composed himself, to get enough of the ritualistic feeling the situation required. Tall as he was, he merely arched his neck and placed the tip of his cold horn against her forehead, just below her own. While the cranium was designed to take a battering, it had several weak spots. The forehead wasn't one, but it was symbolic enough - mutual trust and all that. "Kou." He spoke her name reverently, his voice having dropped a notch. "You are henceforth a Nurse of the Plague." Mauja held still a moment longer, before withdrawing his head, a wry grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes.

"Want me to call the Doctor over?"

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

The suspicion that crossed Mauja's face when she bought up the subject of Psyche and The Plague was a bit unsettling to Kou. She had begun to suspect that he would cut her off before she could finish and state her desire. To her relief he let her finished and she watched his face, growing relieved when the suspicion left and his eyes relaxed. She had no desire to take over Psyche's position as the Crux. The only way she would even do so was if Mauja asked her to and she doubted that he would. She was not a fighter. She was more adept to learning and acting secretively.

Kou waited in silence for Mauja to pass his judgement and he did so favorably. She stood still as the King lowered his head so that the tip of his horn rested at the base of her own. She did not flinch, her stance did not change as he did so. She trusted him wholeheartedly. The only movement was the tilt of her ears toward Mauja as he spoke and declared her a Nurse of The Plague.

When he withdrew she dipped her head respectfully. "Thank you." She said, her head lifting and her gaze meeting his as he asked if she would like for him to call d'Artagnan. "I would appreciate it, Sire."

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
The wood split evenly, the dark brown bark seperating to allow the light fleshy youth unfurl benieth the glass. d'Artagnan swung again, this time his horn aimed in the opposite direction and slashed perfectly across the tree to create an 'x' mark. The Doctor stood back and sighed, three other trees also bore the same tattoo. A cure for boredom which he was about to continue until the sound of his King reached his red lobes. Trees forgotten his head turned sharply as he realized Mauja was calling him. Intrigued as to what it was about he quickly whiped his horn of bark on the ground and lurched into a speedy canter, eating up the ground to where his King was.

Upon arriving he noted there was another present, a mare who he hadn't seen here before. Pleased that more unicorns where appearing in the Edge, he inclined his head in greeting to her before turning to King Mauja. He spoke with curiousity "your majesty, you called me?" He enquired to his King, looking interestingly from Mauja to Kou. Ears errect on his poll, awaiting the reasons for his summoning.
[Image: arttable.png]

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the FrostHeart

Though Mauja was a suspicious creature by nature, he wasn't prone to jumping to conclusions or interrupting someone before they had made their case (unless they were saying something far too idiotic, that is). In this case, he was glad he hadn't. With grace did the mare accepting her new position, and the pale King gave a pleased smile. Hopefully she would feel the weight of duty on her shoulders now, a mantle she would carry with grace and pride, he hoped. As the only Nurse, with only d'Artagnan as Doctor, they were to be a pair. She would assist him in any way he required while being tutored in both the art of true healing, and that of more .. sinister .. intents. It would be good. Perhaps with an eager assistant would their work get started, with or without the aid of a Crux. He had hoped to assign that role to someone who got the job done so he could focus on running his herd and all the other countless tasks that came with it, but perhaps he was destined to do everything himself if he wanted it done. Not a pleasant prospect.

He would've been quite upset if she had shown no interest in all in meeting the Doctor, so it was with a firm nod that Mauja acknowledged her desire. He raised his black-spotted head into the night air and let loose his deep cry, summoning d'Artagnan. Truth to be told, Mauja was quite fond of the stallion, and hoped that the future would bring them even closer. He needed stallions and mares he could trust (though he doubted he would never trust someone completely - that was just to beg for being stabbed in the back). But if you never trusted anyone... Suspicion would drive him mad, and the sense of never being truly appreciated would drive others to revolt. No, sometimes you had to gamble and at least pretend to rely on others. He knew that his life could easily become a solitary burden, a pulse that was never calm, always looking over his shoulder. Despite knowing that there was a lot of wisdom in wandering down that path, he wasn't inclined to do it. He believed he had a strong enough mind to not get broken by it, but despite everything that he was, Mauja wasn't that cold of heart. To have a true friend to lean on and plot with... Perhaps it was just a foolish dream, but it was there, deep in his cold heart. He just didn't want to entrust that singular, shadowed hope to the wrong creature. But maybe, just maybe, some small part of him wished that d'Artagnan, Kou, Psyche, or even Lotus could be that one for him. Only time would tell.

Mauja was silent while they waited, sampling the wind and listening. d'Artagnan's heavy steps came closer, and soon enough the tall red bay came within view. The Doctor had a keen mind, and the King appreciated it; his own head dipped to return the greeting, but he was watching the stallion's mismatched eyes. They were drinking Kou in, fluttering between the pair, asking a question. "Indeed I did, Doctor," he responded, making the meeting slightly formal as well as revealing in what manner he needed d'Art. "This is Kou, an acquaintance of mine. Until just now, she was with the Scourge, but she is eager for more. She is to be your Nurse, need I say more?" He tilted his head and thus tilted his smile. d'Artagnan's mission was to heal some, cripple or kill some. Kou's mission was to help him and learn from him. Now that they were a pair, a team, what was to stop them from going out in the world and doing their duty?

Nothing.
Though...

"There's only a small alteration to your mission right now," he said quietly, tail whispering behind him in the darkness. "Target as many Sun followers as you can. Find it out with, you know, religious small talk, who do they think will protect them as they heal from their injuries? The weaker his followers are, the sooner we'll get this shitstorm over. I can't wait for Frostfall..." He gave his head a small shake. It was no secret that Mauja hated Tallsun.

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

Kou stood by as Mauja called the doctor to their meeting. As his call faded she could hear the faint sound of hoof beats on the earth. They gradually became louder and soon the massive red bay stallion emerged, his gaze flickering from herself to the king in turn. Mauja spoke first, informing d'Artagnan of her promotion from a simple member of the scourge to the position of nurse.

"Hello, d'Artagnan." The mare spoke calmly and evenly. She looked from d'Artagnan to Mauja when he began to speak once more, instructing them to target the Sun followers to weaken the Sun God's army. Of course they would. What would the world come to should the Sun followers continue to strengthen in number and defeated the beautiful Moon?

It was simply not a world she wanted to live in.

"Is there a specific land you would like us to visit first, my lord?" Perhaps he had a hunch on which land harbored most of the sun followers. Maybe the Moon Goddess had told him something she hadn't told anyone else.

ooc://

ahh, crappy post but i'm tired -runs away-

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan nodded firmly to his king. Of all the stallions he had come to know throughout the stains of his life, King Mauja was the one who had made the most impression on him. The Doctor would stay loyal to his King till death took him sharply from this sickly peaceful world. d'Artagnan already knew how he wanted to die, in flames and the cries of battle. He wanted his bones buried on a battlefield or his body burned to ashes. To die any other way would be an insult, it was the way a stallion of war should die. In hell.

His King spoke the means of his summoning now and mismatched eyes roved over Kou once again. She was a young, small dot whose build resembled that of his sister apart from her coat was a much brighter shade. In a swift beat Mauja declared her his Nurse and d'Artagnan looked brightly at Kou "Kou. A pleasure." Though he didn't know her, the red was in need of more help and someone to take his place should death come calling early. Since his run in with the Earth God and his new found knowledge it did worry him that it was only he that possessed it. The many plants that could heal one and kill another, he knew them all. It was now Kou who would learn this knowledge, " of course my King, I shall teach her to the best of my abilities." He was talking to Mauja but was looking at Kou to show his optimism.

The small meeting moved on swiftly and the mention of his mission changing turned d'Artagnan's head back to his King. His two mismatched glass horns (much like his eyes) reflecting in Tallsun's relentless barrage. The Doctor gave a small snort of agreement at the mention of Tallsun, even he hated this blasted heat. d'Artagnan took in a breath to reply but Kou beat him to it. Holding his thoughts d'Artagnan listened intently. She enquired as to which region they should visit first to which d'Artagnan replied to his king after "I have visited the desert land of the Throat. Although it only seems a band of pegasus rule there and unfortunately hold advantage through terrain. I believe I did not find all I could in that land though sire, the heat was unbearable" he grumbled remembering the sweat that poured off him that day. He hadn't found much desirable about it but the more they knew the better their position became.

He turned over the Foothills in his mind, he knew his sister had been there before and met some interesting characters. However, he doubted his haughty sister would oblige to tell such information to her brother "my sister, Seiren, has been to the Foothills and met some of their herd members although I doubt she'd deign to tell me about it maybe she'd share it with another." The shady mare had a mind of her own, a dangerous mind at that and her hail was none too pleasant either.

Searching his mind once more he believed he had now exhausted his scant knowledge of the other herds. His cloven hooves itching to cleave a few hornless heads in, his thirst for poison rising. The plague seemed to moving on again and d'Artagnan could taste blood in his mouth.

[Image: arttable.png]

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the FrostHeart

If he had known the loyalty he commanded in d'Artagnan, he would've been honored and moved - as it was, the only thing he knew was that they had a budding relationship, and that the Doctor was a very valuable resource, one he would protect even at very high costs. As often, the stallion surprised him with his sincerity. Among his own kind and those he seemed to trust moderately d'Artagnan opened up in a way Mauja hadn't thought possible - it had been a pleasant surprise to find out, though, and with such a mind and heart... He was a prized asset, and with the strange pride he'd only known existed after becoming a leader did he watch his eyes brighten when landing upon Kou, optimism and some hidden sort of - gratitude? - in his eyes. Some were touchy about having their helpers handed to them, some appreciated it. This meeting seemed to have gone well so far, and it definitely pleased him. Kou was eager, and d'Artagnan was a well of useful knowledge. It'd be such a shame if something happened to him without him having passed on at least a fraction of his extensive knowledge.

Bemused, he pondered telling d'Artagnan that he was the best when it came to this, so such a promise of teaching would create something amazing, but he held the compliment back for now. He was eager to see what they would come up with, and nodded thoughtfully at Kou's question. d'Artagnan chimed in about the Throat, and Mauja allowed one 'brow to rise. So, the Doctor had been the one to haul his self across the face of Helovia and into the Throat? When he wanted to, he could be as smooth as Mauja, but he had less political chains weighing him down and chaining him to such behavior - it was possible he'd been less than nice to Azzuen. The warrior had seemed capable though, so he got nothing along the lines of pity from the Edge King. He smiled, though, and gave a huffed laughter. The Throat was ridiculously hot during this Tallsun, and knowing that the Doctor shared his sentiments when it came to heat, Mauja was reluctant to chuck him and Kou off to there. The Foothills would be better - he perked his ears at the mention of Seiren. She'd been there? Met herd members? And not reported back? Shame on her! Though, his rebuke was more playful than serious, and he put it down to either nothing of import to report, or mare quirkiness. You never knew with the ladies.

He hummed a thoughtful agreement and made a mental note to find Seiren and ask her what she'd found over there, but then pondered where to send them in silence. The Throat naturally belonged to the Sun God, but it was hot as hell and ugly - the Foothills he'd been in contact with longer than the Pegasus, so it would be easier to establish their reputation of helpful healers there. "I think," he began, looking from Kou to d'Art. "You could start with the Foothills. Introduce yourself, establish the business, see if you can help their Healer with growing a nasty plant or two, maybe 'check up' on their herd members. Unless you find a roaring fanatic and can get away with it, stick to honest healing and minor mischief. Much as I hate it, we have to go slow with this if we are to avoid suspicion, and if the Sun keeps this up I might go to all-out war against his followers anyway. I don't need suspicion to fall on the Plague too." The last was muttered, mostly, and he was thankful for the fact that night still came around after the sun set each day. If it didn't.. that one-way walk off the Edge would become quite alluring.

Among others, Asur is your target - you're to make his cornea scar perhaps a tad larger and a great deal more permanent. :D

Aurora Basin Mare
ali
[Image: koutable.png]
Kou
Kou smiled charmingly at d'Artagnan as he recognized her. There had been a split second of nervousness where she had thought that he might balk at her being named his nurse. She had known many stallions who didn't like decisions made for them and few who were perfectly fine with it. Thankfully he was one of those who didn't mind decisions being made for him. She listened intently as he began to tell their King of his visit to the Dragon's Throat. She didn't want to even think about going into that land during the time of the Tallsun. Birdsong or Frostfall would be better for visiting them.

Her question was answered by the King, his instruction being to go to the Foothills rather than back to the Dragon's Throat. "I feel we will do well in the Foothills." She spoke confidently. It wouldn't be nearly as hot as it would be in the Throat and from what she'd heard about the Foothills they were all very accepting. They could probably blend in perfectly with their peaceful herd.

Honest healing and minor mischief save for raging fanatics. Even then they would have to be careful. If anyone saw them being openly ugly to a Sun follower it would draw unwanted attention to them. "Disposing of Sun followers we come upon there should be done under the cover of darkness." Kou suggested, looking in turn from d'Artagnan to Mauja. At least then, while the herd was sleeping, they would be able to act somewhat normally. "It would be less likely for the Sun to intervene, wouldn't it?"

colourize-stock @ deviantart | prints-of-stock @ deviantart | edlo @ deviantart