the Rift

Not one to break promises [Mirage, open]

Daenerys Posts: 41
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 hh :: 5
Cami
keep keep on running, there's no place like home
The sun shone brightly in the cloudless blue sky, making for a rather pleasant winters day. Light was thrown up from the snow-covered land into the eyes of the snowy femme as she dragged herself north, a strained gasp escaping her velvet lips. It was a long travel for someone in her state, but there were important matters that she needed to settle, that she did not want to postpone any longer. Small clouds formed around her nostrils with every breath, for though the sun had risen, it brought poor warmth to frozen Helovia. Her usual thin coat had been replaced by a thicker, warmer one, but the gold on her underbelly and legs still shone as the light hit them. Daenerys was turning whiter; the dapples that had adorned her frame so characteristically through her youth were fading slowly but surely with every wintercoat shed. She was growing up. And now, she was ready to stand on her own feet.

Lilac eyes were raised from the ground before her, seeing the border of the Edge up ahead. She was reluctant to cross it, halted hesitantly and peered into what was supposed to be her home. Truth be told, Daenerys had never set foot in the Edge since the invasion; the gray dove had sought refuge in the Deep Forest where she felt at ease with her conscience. There was a small, nagging voice in the back of her head that made her feel ashamed. Others had fought and shed blood in order to give the likes such as her a place to call home, and she was unappreciative. But she could not find it within her heart to dwell upon a land where the inhabitants had been attacked and chased from their home; not with her own past in mind. So this was a heavy walk, but a necessary one to make things right.

Youthful Ahriman followed a few feet behind her, obviously more distressed at the situation than she. You couldn’t really blame him; Mirage and the Qian was all he had ever known, they were as much his family by now. Daenerys had left the decision up to him; he could stay or he could go with her. He would always be her son, no matter his choices or actions, but he was torn. The pale ghost held a grave expression in his sweet face, deep in thought as he strode along. Dany had not gotten a straightforward answer from him, and she wasn’t even sure that he knew entirely what he wanted. Small maw pressed against her shoulder as he was suddenly beside her, and she smiled at him reassuringly, feeling a sting to her heart at the worry in his eyes. “It’ll be okay love,” she murmured softly, nipping at his sprouting mane.

Inside her womb, his sibling was growing rapidly, leaving her heavier than ever with several weeks still to go. It worried her some, that she should be able to bring such a large foal into the world. Unlike when she had expected Ahriman, she was uncertain of whether she was having a colt or a filly; one second, she thought one and then the other a moment later. The dove shook her nape and smiled, but it was a smile full of love and excitement for the future. Right now, she had some unfinished business to take care of. “Mirage, DragonHeart. I need to speak with you,” she chimed out, holding her delicate tiara high and lobes perked for the sound of anyone approaching.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The absence of her pale friend had not gone by unnoticed. Akaith had mentioned catching glimpses of her on her journeys across the lands, but the general sense of solitude was something Daenerys seemed to seek, and so they respected that. The gentle summons that tickled the ears of the charcoal belle stirred many emotions, some conflicting.

The mare had battled with the guilt of her actions ever since they had come to pass. Waging a war upon a herd just to call the lands they lived upon their own - it was cruel, no matter which way one looked at it. The shadowy little mare could justify it all she liked; the Edge had made the first offence in their harsh treatment of Torasin, they have rescinded their invitation of Mirage and her band before the mare had an opportunity to make use of it, they had stirred ill tempers with allies of the Qian - but these were all such petty, small things. Was it truly just for Mirage to feel like she had any right to take from them that which they held most dear in a form of punishment?

Of course it wasn't. She had been given the blessing of the Moon Goddess to go forth with her plans, to fight for the right of a homeland, and even then, she had felt uncertainties in her actions. But it had been decided, the action was going to take place, the act of war declared as the former inhabitants of the World's Edge lands refused entry to the Qian even faced with the force of her and her allies. The mare reminisced with sadness and awe on this sad occasion often, the day of the invasion. The grit and resolve of each side. The bittersweet victory. The death. The blood.

Where was the victory if the cost of it was such dark things? Mirage hated to harm others; she preferred to protect, and preserve life, to cherish and watch as things grew. Her dilemma came when the lands of the wilds were no longer providing safe borders for her brethren to live within. The guidance she had sought from the celestial being whom he had looked up to all her life had directed her towards the path of war. Surely if there had been another option, another way, a different method of obtaining a home, she would have informed her, helped her to achieve it? Mirage trusted the Moon Goddess, she trusted that the glorious creature who blessed her leadership upon this land, who blessed the inhabitants of this land with permission to continue living here. It was a hard argument to have with oneself, over and over again. The mare would welcome any of the former inhabitants back to the land should they not oppose any of the regulations of equality and balance she had instilled; but she doubted she would see any of their faces here again.

"Daenerys." The name was spoken softly, by a mare who did not cloak herself beneath the illusionary magic she possessed, nor was she in the form of a great golden dragon. Amber eyes drank in the pregnant form of the mare, absorbing everything about her in quiet, unjudging eyes. A small smile was offered to the colt who stood near her, a fondness clearly evident for him. Akaith was upon her wither, and offered her own melodic song in greeting. But all of it was hushed, whispered, as if shouting too loud might shatter the moment.

"I have failed you." It was rare for the mare to show emotion through her voice. But she did now. Sadness, grief, guilt, regret, and a sense of sheer failure further curled the exotic, accented words. She looked at Daenerys now, and saw the beautiful creature she was becoming, the strong, confident mare, who stood here now with a twinge of her own sadness permeating around her. Mirage longed to make amends, to explain herself; but how could she explain away something she herself felt guilty and dirty over?

"I am so sorry." There was an honest earnest to her voice, almost a plea for forgiveness. "I hope you are well?" It was a hopeless grab at some sense of normalcy, a question she should have already known the answer to, had things not changed between them.

But things had changed.

Everything had changed.

Daenerys Posts: 41
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 hh :: 5
Cami
keep keep on running, there's no place like home
She knew not if she had expected their reencounter to be easy. Probably not, but nothing could’ve quite prepared her for the feeling that welled up within her at the sight of the black mare approaching. It was like the shadow was being weighed down, like she carried a world of trouble on her shoulders, and Daenerys felt guilty as well. She was about to add to the distress that her beloved sister experienced, but it was something that must be done. Pushing it in front of her, keeping it unresolved, did more damage than it did good. So even though her heart sank and she felt like putting on the same, harmless smile that she used to, Daenerys knew that this time it was for real. No more hiding behind a façade, this was the time to come clean. Blessed by the Gods or none, what had come to pass would not be without consequence.

Beloved sister,” she heard herself chime in greeting, and she even spotted a small smile on Ahriman’s grave face. The words that were given to her caused a frown to appear on the fair face of the snowy belle; she did not come here to make the shadowy fae repent. That was not her place. Shifting her aching legs, Daenerys extended her maw and brushed it against the cheek of the Dragonheart with a tenderness that showed all the affection she harbored for the femme in the single gesture. “You have done nothing to fail me. It is I. My past does not allow me to take part of your home, but it is not your fault,” she said, hoping that a few words of kindness might soothe her next string of words, soften the blow, if only a little bit.

However, I have come to the conclusion, as you might have guessed that I can no longer stay with you. In my heart, I will keep you, and I hope that you will still let me be an ally of the Qian. But please, do not ask of me to live upon these lands that I feel so strongly about,” she said, relief washing over her features now that all had been said. “As for my son, I have left the decision to him. You are as much a mother for him as I have ever been, and should he wish to stay with you, I applaud it even if I would miss him.” The pale colt looked distressed, so Daenerys caressed him soothingly. He did not have to make a decision right away; Dany was certain that if he wished, Mirage would keep her borders open to him no matter what. Turning her thistle eyes back to Mirage’s amber ones, a hint of a smile wrapped itself upon her delicate lips. “I am well, my sister, but once again with child, as you can see. Not exactly what I had planned, but I continue to surprise myself,” she said, releasing a small laugh to ring like silver bells through the air. Some of the tension in the air vanished with the sound, and she felt the same confidence that the two of them had shared in the old times.

Ahriman Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

silver's meant to burn forever

He felt like he was being torn in two. Here he stood, being asked to choose between the two mares that had mattered most to him through his short life. The fright of hurting anyone filled his young heart, especially upon seeing Mirage plagued by guilt. The war had been fought for the children of the Qian to have a safe haven to grow up, and mother had always spoken of the home they would get, but now they had one, all had changed.

Stepping forward, he caressed the shoulder of the shadowed mare, trying an encouraging smile on his youthful face, but it came across more as despaired than anything. He listened as Daenerys spoke, feeling slightly lightened at heart by her words of encouragement, and he sucked in breath to voice his decision. “Mirage, I love you, but I must stay with mother for a little while longer,” he spoke, looking her in the eye to see her reaction. “I hope to be a part of the Qian still. Will your doors be open to me, should I wish to return?” he inquired, hope shining out of his expressive face.

His decision had not been an easy one, but now that mother was once again with child, she needed someone to protect her. As always, Ahriman took the responsibility of the whole world upon his shoulders, and it would foster much grievance in his life. Reaching his maw out to Akaith in a friendly gesture, he knew he would miss the little golden; hopefully, she would stop by every once in a while on her flights throughout Helovia.

AHRIMAN