the Rift

Chasing a hopeless cause [open]

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi

TORASIN

; at what speed must I live, to be able to see you again?

The day was a pleasant one if a little chilly as morning slowly turned to midday, the sun shone brightly on the meadow that was laced with glistening frost that melted in it's gaze. Torasin moved at a leisurely walk, his worn hooves crunching through the thistles with his whitened, ruff coat shining glaringly against the rays. The painted Sir was currently hoping his spontaneous adventure into the Meadows would find his sons, who apparently didn't want to be found again. The routine scouts from his brown bonded had reassured him of their safety, nothing ever seemed to slip past the eyes of his dragon. However, the paint never seemed able to stumble across them and he was betting this day was going to be just as fruitless.

The soft skin of his grey nose wrinkled as he snorted, his breath visible against the Frostfall air around them. Kiba was hovering just a little above, doing the odd acrobatic manoeuvre whilst searching for food. Food was hard to find at this time of year and the dragon was finding that he had to go to even further lengths to find something satisfying. Torasin found the nearer they approached Helovia's Heart the less frost ridden the grass became.

The pair headed towards the red oak that had shed its leaves and stood as a mere skeleton of it's former self. It's haggard branches like something found in an old scary story. Kiba found it's largeness appropriate as he landed neatly on a branch the same colour as his body, his gilded partner settling to stand by it's huge trunk and using it as a form of relief for a nagging itch on his shoulder. Dark musty bark mixed into his cream fur as the itch was finally defeated. Then the land lay silent. Horse and dragon staring out across the white meadow, enjoying each others company.

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
[Image: winter_snow_by_ladyfey-d5g626q.png]

Whereas some may believe walking up to an unknown stranger with a dragon tagging along behind him may be silly, Tor didn't really have that regard for possible strangers meaning possible danger, despite having being attacked for this belief. Some may also say such a virtue would mean that Tor was an idiot, or to put it more nicely, a little slow. Others may say that meant Tor was totally forgiving, loving, and just didn't have the capacity to realize possible danger. Both of these theories were wrong. Yes, Tor had been exposed to danger in her life, like any other lone horse, but she had simply decided to let bygones be bygones and live with four-feet in the present, instead of constantly looking back, constantly gritting her teeth, constantly worrying. If the horse was dangerous, she would retreat or diplomatically try to speak, and if the horse was really intent on attacking her, chances are Tor would run. The painted mare was massive, a big-boned tobiano draft cross, but she didn't really have much of a heart for battle, despite the fact she should probably learn the basics. That wasn't to say she was a coward, either- she was a healer. As a healer, it was difficult for her to harm and maim intentionally. In fact, if she was to battle a horse, chances are at the end she would simply heal them.

The white-and-gray mare sighed, watching clouds float up into the heavens. This had been an exciting, although slow, season. Tor had met the ex-edge, the famous Mauja, created an alliance. Lace had attacked her and brought her home to meet the Qian. She had met Sohalia, and Tor had met one of her closest friends- Ophelia. The white unicorn hadn't known Tor for long, but already they had shared secrets and told past stories, and Tor had been asked to join Ophelia and Ktulu's special group of mercenaries. The painted lady had accepted, and had been promoted to Ophelia's second-in-command. In truth, Tor liked that, but mainly she just liked to be with her best friend more. Then, Tor had met, oh, what's-his-name, Crow! The white Thoroughbred stallion... a mute. The regular tug of disappointed pull at Tor's gut as she thought of the failed healing attempt, finding the dismal mess of his vocal cords.

So much for four feet in the present! The painted lady mused, keeping her stately walk through the meadow. She was careful to avoid the ice-laden stream, knowing if she were to plunge into the water's depths, she would drown, or get pneumonia and possibly die. None of which were very pleasant thoughts, needless to say. It was quite nice in this field. Tor found herself wondering what it looked like in the summer. Despite becoming somewhat well-known in Helovia already, she hadn't been her long, hardly more than two seasons in fact. Half a year! My, it didn't feel like that at all. The pleasant motherly mare continued her relaxed walk, head swaying a bit. It was just about then did she notice Torasin, although she did not know him by name, and began to approach. A brown dragon was resting on the dark tree, the mare half-noticed, but mainly she was trying to place the Quarter Horse in friend, enemy, or unknown. From his pleasant face, Tor had to decide friend was most likely, and she stopped near him. The snow was dazzlingly bright, glittering like a thousand diamonds piled up, but it was still cold. Empty warmth, Tor called it inside her head, for it made the world appear golden and cozy but the air was still frosted. "Hello. I'm Tor, a healer." Tor found herself telling the golden paint. Really, she had to start thinking of better introductions!

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: ???

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

It was the curious brown that spotted Tor first. With a flick of his tail the dragon rose into a standing position, golden pools watching intently as he leaned on his branch, unsure whether to fly down or not. Instead he alerted his bonded, the speech imperfect and familiar in the gilded paint's mind.

Stranger

Torasin looked about from his depressing thoughts and caught the sight of the greying pinto femme, her hazel pools and thicker build a beautiful sight against the snowy landscape. She spoke a name and position to which Torasin looked up, curiosity seething in his green pools, it had been a while since he'd convened with another healer. A long time indeed. He proffered his head in flamboyant greeting, smiling at how similar her name was to his, maybe there names were related in some way. Who knew. "A pleasure Mistress Tor! It's been a while since I've met with a healer" his voice sweet and polite, each word pronounced with the greatest accuracy followed with a simple happy smile.

"My name is Torasin and my brown friend is Kiba. We too are healers, we assist our Doctor and teacher in the healing arts" his introduction was fluid and graceful. Excitement clear on his honest features at the prospect of sharing his passion with this mare, the joys and horrors of healing. What sights had she seen whilst in her profession? Kiba had flown down during his bonded's introduction, landing upon his gilded back, and chirping a series of greetings to the lovely Tor. Tongue flicking in and out of his scaly mouth as he happily swung his tail back and forth. Horse and dragon intrigued by there new friend who seemed kind and genuine, yet towered above the two in all her 17.1hh. This was something Torasin had gotten used to by now, anyway, his beloved friend and mighty leader could shift into a dragon if she wanted to. Nothing really surprised the innocent, honest paint anymore.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
[Image: winter_snow_by_ladyfey-d5g626q.png]

A pleasure, mistress Tor. Brown eyes met green. A warm smile lit the mare's gray-and-white face, but she spoke quietly yet insistently. "There's no need for such formalities. Just 'Tor' will do." The draft have no visions of grandeur, no hunger for power. She really was too kind to even think of having control or power over others, let alone killing to get it. The stallion introduced himself as Torasin, and the soil-colored dragon as Kiba. With a nod of her head to the small companion, she returned to her attention to Torasin. Another healer! Actually, Tor thought he may be the first healer she had met in Helovia. Yes, he was. Does he have any healing magic? is what Tor longed to ask, but she didn't want to appear rude in any way.

"If my nose still works, you're from the World's Edge, right?" Tor queried cordially, her muzzle indeed picking up the scents of brine and a trace of Mirage on his pelt. She also recognized the term 'Doctor'. "Would you like to perhaps exchange healing techniques?" Almost certainly Torasin would agree, like any healer, but it was always polite to ask before plunging deep into the topic, a topic which could be explored for hours and never be fully explained. The art of healing. If Tor could write, she would write a famous book on the art of healing, and carry it around with her all the time. If, if, if.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

Torasin laughed at the mares first reply, did she not know that he could not ditch the formalities? Of course she didn't but she would soon enough, the lovely Tor. Whose love for healing was almost making the steed bounce in idiotic dance across the frosted meadow with pure joy written into his every feature. He contained himself barely but there was nothing he could do about the excited smile plastered all over his overly honest features. "There is always need for politeness though, ma'am" he never really knew why he always insisted on addressing others with eloquent respect, it was something Torasin had picked up as a boy. Nobody had taught him to be this way, he was just... Being Torasin.

"Your nose does not fail you, I am Advocate and Nurse in the ranks of the DragonHeart" he informed the painted Tor, it wasn't a mistake that he left just which God he served as Advocate. In the time he'd spent here, being associated with the Sun God wasn't the best thing. So the gilded steed thought it best to leave that bit out, in a way he was glad his coat was painted in gold, that simple fact could very well be the saviour of his life in the face of the Sun.

Torasin schooled his expression and tried his best not to jump into sharing knowledge, as healing could be a long drawn out process. So could the passing of knowledge. One must note these things down in the proper manner in order to utilize it properly. He had trained his memory over time to hold quite a lot of information, it was vital to do so, vital to remember. Rushing into wasn't going to help, whether he wanted to or not. "Of course! I hope what I have learnt of the art will come of use to you."

As his words left his maw, Torasin hoped he hadn't fallen behind in the advances of his field of expertise. He had even gone through the terror of the Sun God and preached his wickedness to gain the power he needed. Without waiting for a reply, the tobiano jumped straight into it and began at his latest discovery of what his gift could do. "Is there something special you can do, ma'am? A gift maybe? For example, I can purge poison from the blood and heal flesh injuries by tracking blood flow through the main arteries."

It was an odd gift he possessed. Torasin could not mend broken bones, he knew how they must be healed and how they must be set to heal without any problems. However, that power left him as soon as he left Isilme. All that was left now was the knowledge on how to do it, not the power to go through with it. In essence, he could guide one with the power but not use it himself. An annoying downside but he could do things others could not and was not limited in power. He could heal as many times as he liked.

There were other useful things he knew. Herb lore was one. Smoke had taught him that. Torasin had even factored Kiba into healing. The medicinal uses of dragon fire when destroying contaminated equipment was one thing. Now maybe he might learn something else from this healing mare of similar name to he. Maybe in the future they could help one another, become comrades in their art. He was thinking too far and stopped talking to await her eagerly anticipated reply.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
Brown eyes met his as the nurse gave a warm laugh, and replying about the need of formalities. "Maybe to always be polite, yet friends should not call each other mr. and ms." Tor said, eyes sparkling. Between them, there was immediate genuine like, immediate friendship, just as it had been between her and Ophelia. It was true that sweet Torasin was from the World's Edge, a fact which Tor caught and slipped to the back of her mind, a mental note to where she could perhaps find him if ever needed. And he was an Advocate. A well-placed boy he was! "I really don't have anything like that to boast about," Tor chuckled.

A gift. Yes, she had been gifted as Torasin called it, gifted by the kind earth god. Even today, the draft could swiftly recall the sensation of slippery mud being smeared all over her, the coolness on her flesh, the extraordinary sensation of having that power sink into her. "You have an interesting gift, Torasin. I myself have been taught in herbal remedies and plant poultices, but upon arrival of Helovia, I went questing for the Earth God. I was gifted with 'magical' healing. Mostly, I heal flesh wounds and burns through the energy of the earth coming through me into the wound, so I'm afraid I have difficulty healing blood toxicity or poisoning." Today, Tor still continued to use herbs to strengthen the body of the warriors in the Grey, to have anti-viral plants and mixtures ready to await the wanderers. "I continue to use plant remedies- my healing does not extend to the clarity of the mind and lungs. I find thyme and eucalyptus particularly excellent in the healing of coughs and colds, although feverfew and coltsfoot may help bring down a fever and cure general coughs."

Deceased
imi

TORASIN

"Forgive me, I was born and raised with these manners. A lady should be addressed properly after all. Friend or not." A smile of joy and playful fun grew on already beaming lips. This was the first time any mare had really challenged his need to express honour upon those he met. It had become more of a habit that he didn't really think about anymore, of course he was always honest and sincere. The dear Tor deserved to be titled that which one would call royalty. Born of precious blood or not, Torasin held all of his friends in the highest regard. Even those he had just met. The gilded boy laughed a merry tune and shook his head at her admittance of nothing to boast of. "I'm sure you do, ma'am."

He listened intently to her each word. Nodding at her use of plants and pools shining with burning curiosity as she spoke of magical healing. It was true, Tor could do things with her magic that he could not, and vice versa. She had also sought the help of a God, as he had, and earned her magic through questing. He and Tor were incredibly similar. Kiba had already noted this it seemed and was now content to land of the painted mare's back. Flicking his tail curiously and seemingly finding a comfortable place to perch upon the femme's spine.

"Your knowledge is impressive, Tor, and you can do things that I can't with your magical ability." He noted and nodded whilst he spoke. Mind running too far ahead of him again as thoughts all merged into one. The tobiano wondered if this mare would be willing to call him a partner, yes they worked for different factions, yet the boy could see a blossoming alliance on the horizon. "I don't wish to pry into your private affairs but I would much like to work with you in the future. I feel we rather... Complete each other in our abilities. My skill lies in the circulatory system, I can cure any patient whose problems lies in the blood. Whereas you can heal wounds, burns..."

He thought for a moment. Torasin could heal flesh wounds and stop horses from bleeding to death. Could this mare repair broken bones? Or was that something to quest for later. "What about bones, ma'am? I'm sorely lacking in that area" his honest pools lit up once more in jovial admittance. His one stumbling stone in healing. If only he still had the power to heal from the days of Isilme. There was nothing he couldn't fix in those days.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
Tor gave an amused snort as the golden boy's response. He was stubborn, wasn't he? "I suppose so, Torasin." In a way, he reminded her faintly of Lace. Good-looking enough, nice, and one of the loyal Qian. I'm sure you do. A ghost of a smile ran across the draft's gray lips, but she shook her head silently.

Something landed on her back. For a brief second, she nearly jumped- her skin shivered over muscle before she turned her neck to eye the little brown dragon. "Master Dragon, I do hope you don't startle every mare you run into." Tor told him quietly, exhaling on his ochre scales before returning her gaze to the bi-colored boy. Had there been any dragons in her homeland? No, she didn't think so. Neither had she seen any dragons in her travels, either, except for a strange scaled bird. Yet the bird hadn't seemed to resemble the toothy, winged, and clawed creatures who were quite small in contrary to the stories. Did they breathe ice and acid like stories as well? Maybe here they breathed fire! That would be quite the extraordinary power.

Tor was startled back into life by Torasin's words in response. Yes, she supposed her knowledge in herblore and other was quite extensive. You did pick up a lot in a year of training with a renowned shaman as her only pupil. "I trained with a shaman named Lei for a year or so. I learned much of the art from her." Tor explained, feeling she didn't deserve his praise. It wasn't like she had taught all of it to herself, except for perhaps the recent remedies she had created herself... Don't get conceited now, Tor. The draft told herself, but the chances of her ever getting full of herself was like a rat turning into a butterfly. "I would welcome healing with you. We do balance each other out quite well, don't we?" Another warm smile graced her lips.

As for broken bones... "I can heal broken bones. It is very draining, but doable. Burns are similar to- I can heal them, say, half-way, but to heal any burn worse than a minor is too exhausting to mend to full. The first time I tried healing a severe burn, I practically fainted on the floor." Yes, with Mauja and Ophelia.