the Rift

A color like thunder [Open]

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda
azulee
they want rain without thunder and lightning

Frostfall had a strange effect on the desert biome. Instead of hostile, frigid temperatures and frost which coated the earth like an alabaster filament, there descended temperate concentrations of rainfall. During the day the sun was warm and inviting, its illumine sifting down like fingers of liquid amber to gently rake the gilded sands which encompassed the Oasis. Occasionally, it would exhibit a glimmer of its estival intensity, though it was more welcome now when it came sporadically, unlike the relentlessness it had flaunted throughout the previous Tallsun.

Azulee found herself reveling in the clement weather, though the temperatures dropped drastically at night. She was not particularly fond of the cold - she loathed it, actually. She liked warmth, and would often huddle between her mother and father when the cold became uncomfortable.

The belle was evolving into a bold young creature. She had already learned much about the world around her and had found that freedom was a marvelous thing, though she still clung to her mother like a magnet - such was understandable for a filly of her juvenility. Cirrus has managed so far to sculpt her to her liking, and she was already evidencing a brazen audaciousness awaiting its senescent upheaval. Still, she was an innocent maiden, naive and full of vigor, eager to learn the ways of the world.

Her magic had not yet revealed itself, though Cassiopeia was certain it was there. It had not been until her mother was a yearling that her magic had emerged, but then again, Azulee was an inherently magical creature; the result of a union between two magical beings, while her mother's bloodline had never emphasized such abilities. Odds were her magic would egress sooner than her dam's, though who could say for certain? Only time would tell.

Storm clouds loomed ominously in the unfathomably vast vault of the darkening sky, its dark velvet canvas littered with many miniscule tatters which scintillated dimly like discarded jewels. In the distance the last remnants of sunlight began to evanesce, and the lightning child gazed out across the ocean by the side of her mother. The elder roan nibbled on the sparse ocean grasses which had managed to burgeon forth from the fine sand terrain, flourishing as a result of the rain they had been experiencing as of late. The flicka stood on spindly limbs and stared out at the tides, watching gleefully as a pod of dolphins arced from the water's surface.

She then turned and nudged her mother's utters, feeding on the rich milk, and emerging from beneath her flanks with beads of an off-white fluid clinging to her lips. Wagging her tail playfully, she began to lip her mother's forelock, small ears swiveling as they detected a faint clap of distant thunder.
background image © riktorsashen

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
[Image: winter_snow_by_ladyfey-d5g626q.png]

Tor wasn't trespassing- she was visiting. There was a difference- to trespass is to intrude with offensive meanings behind it, while visitation was the act of meeting politely and quietly with the inhabitants of the Dragon's Throat. For yes, she was travelling to the Dragon's Throat, to one of the few places in Helovia the healer had never been to it. She had been all over Helovia in the endurance race, which she had placed second in. She had been to the Frozen Arch, and to the Frostbreath Steppe, to heal the band of racist unicorns and Mauja the exiled king himself. She had been to the Endless Blue to talk with Ophelia, the unicorn mare, and had become ever closer to the unicorn. She had been to the Thistle Meadow to meet Torasin, she had been forced to the World's Edge by Lace only to be let go by Mirage, she had been to the Deep Forest to be attacked by wolves and meet others, and had been part of the Grey's meeting there.

Tor enjoyed the thought she might even be becoming well-known around Helovia for her healing. Maybe. Probably not, but it was fun to imagine that. No, Tor was not a fame hound, she simply loved to heal and help others, and hoped that others would know of this, so she could heal and help even more horses. Which brings us back to her visitation- yes, visitation, of the Dragon's Throat and what transpired there. I don't even know the whole story yet, so don't ask!

It was a rather depressing day, in Tor's opinion, although that didn't affect Tor's mood. The sky was gathering, black clouds appearing on the rim of the world from nowhere, crackling gray sheets that swirled and mixed into a single, solid force of nature that had not yet released its intent upon the world. It had formed and moved so quickly it seemed as if in fast-motion, Tor thought to herself, watching the black fold and sweep and expand to encompass the sky. Here at the edge of the territory, the black sky was an intimidating sight, along the abrupt stop of the Dragon Throat's inhabitants' smell. Hesitantly, the mare paused, uncertain if to continue or to turn back, and run from the storm until she fell over from exhaustion. In the end, Tor continued, white legs moving swiftly, feathers floating. There was an ominous silence, the calm before the storm, until Tor was cantering towards the herd, where she would be more sheltered among the bodies of horses than anywhere else she could reach in the brief time before the storm broke.

With a snort, the draft mare slowed, dislike on her face as she looked at the sand. It was a funny, shifting surface, altogether too hard to run on, she decided internally. Too late to turn back now. The healer glanced at the horses, and asked politely of the filly and her mother she was closest to, "Would you mind terribly if I sheltered with you? I have some news of the land, if you wish to hear it."

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

Small pearls of precipitation fell from the sky like cool pellets of thoughts, and they streaked as slender rivulets down the roan mare's silken fur. It was a soothing rendition of a storm, and the clouds which loomed ahead, angry and withering, played across the sky like a shadow theater.

The dissonance of thunder was a distant grumble; perhaps the voice of a storm raging farther north in the desert, or perhaps above the seemingly endless sea. The waves thrashed, their froth-tipped crests spiraling and leaping as a legion of angry lions, roars peeling from their indigo peaks as they crashed against the shore. They produced an ironically tranquil sonance as the mare and foal basked in the final, dying breaths of sunlight and now the steady cloudburst.

A voice permeated the silence then, and the roan maiden's ears percolated atop the summit of her head. She had seen the mare before. She had set her broken wing on the beach the day she had been attacked, and she watched her intently as she made her approach. Azulee hardly noticed the newcomer, for she was busy attempting to nibble on the sea grass as her mother had. She pulled a stalk into her petite mouth and worked it between her teeth, but soon became appalled by the saline bitterness.

"What news do you bring?" Came the dame's suave voice, concern laced within that simple phrase. Azulee finally became aware of the equine and pranced toward her mother, watching the flightless woman curiously.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Silver ears flick to catch the rumble of thunder as the rain begins its descent to parched cold soil, the sod too ready for its cold embrace. With eyes reflecting the storm in them, Tor watches the rippling black clouds, watches the iron water foaming as it attacks the hard rocky shores that do not yield to anything but the gentle persuasion of the ocean and occasionally the wind's howl. Pleased to hear a welcoming voice, the healer moves a little closer to Cassiopeia and the foal, turning her hindquarters to the wind. Amused brown eyes watch the filly come a little closer.

"I've heard tell of the ex-Edge possibly attempting to reclaim the World's Edge, but their numbers are small in comparison to what was before, so I doubt it would come any time soon. Although I've also heard rumors of the ex-Edge trying to claim new wanderers from the Threshold." This was from Svetlana's mouth, from Leander's mouth. "I heard that Monster the black unicorn has seemingly disappeared. Oh, and I suppose I've heard news of the dead returning to life in the Spectral Marsh." Tor doubted stories about zombies, by why not tell? "Most of its just talk, I'm certain. There is a new mercenary group, called the Grey. Apparently they're taking on all kinds of jobs." Lots of it, if not almost all, Tor thought was made up by bored horses. Apart from the Grey, which Tor knew for a fact existed, seeing as she was part of it. And the ex-Edge maybe reclaiming the World's Edge... Mauja had been gone for awhile, but Tor didn't make a point of living in the Frostbreath Steppe, despite being an ally to the racist unicorns. No need in provocation.

"Someone out there is going overboard with his stories." Tor gave a quiet laugh, before glancing towards the filly again. She was a cute thing. "I don't think we've formally met. I'm Tor. Sorry to be upfront, but are you the pegasus who broke her wing?" Surely enough, Cassiopeia had struck a faint bell in Tor's mind. That must've been ages ago! So much had happened since.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Hidden Account
Phantom

The winged mistress remained hearkened to every word of the equine's narrative - she spoke of the former unicorns of the Edge, of their thirst for revenge, among a variety of other things. Perhaps Azzuen's suspicions were correct, which she had no doubt they were. Cassiopeia doubted Mauja would've relinquished his throne without some sort of recoil. But who was this 'Monster' she referred to? -and, the dead reanimated? Her brow furrowed ever slightly, and Azulee listened quietly from beneath her mother's barrel, silently intercepting the stranger's speech with vernal curiosity. She couldn't wait to tell Cirrus about this.

The equine concluded her speech with the mentioning of some sort of mercenary group, and Cassiopeia flicked her ears forward with interest. "Where is it you've gathered this information?" She questioned mannerly. Perhaps it would be more substantive if presented to Kri. Since the banishment of the God of the Sun, she had done little as an Oracle, and though she often thirsted for knowledge there was little she could do with such information at that moment. Admittedly, she looked forward to her next meeting with the fiery deity - surely he had learned whatever lesson his siblings had insisted he ingest from his relegation by now.

The stranger then presented herself as Tor and Cassiopeia dipped her head to the mare in acknowledgement, then sought to resolve her inquiry. "I am." Affirmed the roaned maiden, a smile pursed upon her lips. "I don't believe I ever properly thanked you, Tor - I am called Cassiopeia, and this is my daughter, Azulee." She gazed lovingly toward the filly as she uttered her name, recalling that she had been pregnant with her when she was attacked by the cougar. "Actually, she was the foal I carried that day on the beach." Her tone professed her own amazement; she was immeasurably thankful for the young damsel to be here. Had it not been for the aid of Tor and Aaron, and of course Azzuen, Azulee mightn't be alive.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Should Tor say that she was part of the mercenary group? Where had she gathered the bulk of this information? I suppose so. It was her own fault in the end- after all, she had been the one to say the words. Certainly the black mare would hold no fault against Tor for being part of a group. "I'm part of the Grey myself. I've been hoping to help more Helovians through my healing, and I feel this is one of the best ways to do such a thing." Warm tones lightened Tor's words, taking out any sharpness that may come of guarding information, which the draft had no intention of doing.

Yes, Tor could see it better now. Cassiopeia, as she introduced herself as, certainly was faintly familiar. She was graceful, slender and fine-boned as many pegasi were to be able to hold themselves aloft in the air, with a coat of blue-gray, eyes the color of the ocean. Not quite blue, not quite green, flipping back and forth in the lights of the sun and moon. A fine silver chain hung around the cyan neck, a precious teal stone at its end. An amulet. Tor couldn't remember noticing that during the brief time they had met before. Massive wings, bestially large wings, were folded with eloquent grace against the leonine-tailed pegasus. It was miraculus on how well the break must've healed- even Tor couldn't see or sense a fracture on the mare's dark wings. As for Azulee, the young daughter, Tor immediately sensed a curious mind like that of many younglings.

"Cassiopeia, there is no need to thank me. I do whatever I can do to help those in need." Tor replied kindly, ignoring the ever-threatening storm.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
Sheets of rain fell from a coal colored afternoon sky; the heavens seemed to weep for those that sorrowed below. A golden general stood under meager protection that an overhanging offered, all the while shuddering irritably; cold had begun to creep inside the creases of bones causing pain. Frostfall was proving to be an annoyance for the inhabitants of desert life. Heavy ivory fluttered with each passing breeze, he huddled appendages against sides for increased warmth.

Midas wasn’t sure why he wanted to visit these ungodly shores. Usually, he avoided the ocean as if it bore a contagious plague. Reasoning behind this ideal was personal, but like all creatures weakness finally ate away corners of his resolve until a cave in occurred; even this man had to grief properly, and thus far Midas had denied soul such opportunities.

Head hung itself in shame, a position he wasn’t proud of; but rightly in deserving. This day was a time of grief for him, in privacy it was fully expected that a few tears be shed and softly spoken prayers be sent upward to heaven.

“I’m so sorry Norse,” he uttered at a whisper meant only for the dead’s ears. Quiet moments passed, save for the crashing thunder of waves against rock. Voices trailed to his ears, as did movement; silver ridden gaze rose up curiously and suddenly fearful that someone of note would see him in this unstable position. Cheeks still wet from weeping he rubbed skull against the underside of his ankle to dry them and then straightened with auds perking toward unintentional eavesdropping.

Tones remained friendly, but the gossip that followed caused him to forget previous sorrow and focus in on their conversation. They rested close by, around a sharp bend. Eventually the guilt of listening in grew too much for his honest soul to handle, embarrassed for not coming forward sooner he allowed a soft nicker to spring out and feet to shuffle round in greeting, “Forgive my interference,” an apology laced his tone and features, sheepishly he smiled at the gathered mares and admitted, “I was around the corner and overheard your conversation.” His mentors mate was here, respectfully the general bowed head before her and the little one she held close by. The other was an unfamiliar mistress to him, certainly not a throat member.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hidden Account
Phantom

The matron allowed a cordial smile to bloom along her lips, and before she could offer a reply, a winged man - their General alongside Azzuen, she soon realized - emerged from behind a bend in a rock formation not far away. Cassiopeia pricked her ears forward as he offered an apology, and cerulean eyes regarded him kindly. "Greetings, Midas. You're not interfering at all - in fact, I believe Tor may have some information you'd find of some use." Her gaze then settled on the bi-chrome mare once again, silently inquiring if she'd mind reiterating her knowledge. Midas would surely find more use of it than she. Meanwhile, the rain gathered new intensity, and Azulee sought refugee from the cold fluid beneath her mother's comparatively wide barrel.

Beads of precipitation adhered to the maiden's encolure, causing the silken tendrils to cling to her face and neck like veins of ivy. She ruffled her wings, holding them at half mast, and peered up toward the heavens. Misery is often alluded toward the rain, but Cassiopeia would be more inclined to affiliate this downpour to some sort of divine anger. The clouds churned and vexed in the the dark chasm of the sky, and a deep, albeit distance grumble of thunder resonated through the humid air. "Perhaps it'd be wise to find shelter, soon." She mused.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Only a few seconds before Midas' showed himself did Tor notice his scent lingering in the air. The scent of earth, damp earth, blended with the slight sense of air and many horses as came with a Dragon's Throat individual. It must've been masked by the rain and the crackling scent of ozone hanging in the air, commingling with Cassiopeia's lavender. Brown eyes, Tor's trademark eyes, gave the General a swift look, although she wasn't sure who he was. He himself had eyes the color of the glowing sun, white wings reminiscent of a swan dipped in gold, seamlessly flowing into broad shoulders. A compact pegasus the black-and-white Midas seemed, and one that seemed solidly planted into the earth, a strong air of knowing who he was and what he was around him, but not in a cocky sense. With a gracious incline of her head, Tor accepted his apology, and Cassiopeia voiced their understanding. At the black mare's hesitant hint towards her perhaps repeating Tor's information, the draft started ever so slightly, before chiding herself. Of course she would like me to tell someone who seems to be of importance!

"Hello Midas, I'm Tor. I don't think we've met before." Quiet, soft tones greet him, warm but not suffocating the stallion. "I was just telling Cassiopeia about some news I've heard traveling the land. Apparently, the undead have risen in the Spectral Marsh to the west and the ex-Edge is recruiting in the Threshold." The draft pauses, trying to word her next sentence well enough. "Ophelia and Ktulu have formed a band of mercenaries called the Gray. I myself am included among them in the position of healer. We are offering our services to anyone who wishes to use them."

Tor shifts, uncomfortable, at the rain slicking her feathers to her skin, dampening her body. The area of the Throat seems so very exposed to downpours, the sleet falling in thick sheets upon the rumble of thunder. She hardly hears Cassiopeia's words. "Are there even any places for shelter in the Throat?"

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
His mentor’s respected partner offered only pleasant response. Accepting his apology as a true lady and sister, Midas’s eyes smiled, the pools mimicking a gentle beam he almost always worn as a trademark expression. Velvet senses remained pressed well forward to catch her soft tones above roaring ocean and gathering shower. He said nothing at first, choosing to instead remain silent and listen to what information his less than honest eavesdropping had missed. The one called, ‘Tor,’ captured his attention, sights turned to regard her kindly while muzzle tipped respectfully at her, ‘hello’.

"I was just telling Cassiopeia about some news I've heard traveling the land. Apparently, the undead have risen in the Spectral Marsh to the west and the ex-Edge is recruiting in the Threshold."

Tone took liberty to sober at the mention of previous Edge; the battle was still fresh upon his mind—and how his talents had gone toward fighting over land. Mixed emotions filled him on this matter, but for magical entities in the Marsh, he thought of Cera; desiring to warn the colt and others to stay away from the area until the rumor was either proven true or placed in myth. The healer paused and then uttered words that would leave him surprised, "Ophelia and Ktulu have formed a band of mercenaries called the Grey. I myself am included among them in the position of healer. We are offering our services to anyone who wishes to use them."

Features flexed and mouth opened in shock. Ktulu? So she wasn’t just running with a band of Outcasts, she was leading a clan of cut throats? Heart tightened, as well as his throat; but outward features pushed a façade forward to mask the onslaught of emotion he suddenly felt. The brief lapse of composure turned again toward pleasant expression, forced pleasant expression. All the while he thought, ‘why didn’t she tell me?’ Such questions couldn’t be answered by the ivory patched draft.

With mind humming like a busy bee he almost didn’t catch their request for shelter. Once their words processed the general realized that water had soaked mane heavy against neck and in cold, silky wet strips. Water dripped across barrel and hip, sliding down the silver metal of his collar. Fur dampened to the point of chill, with droplets falling from forelock and muzzle. He turned head toward the overhang around the bend of previous emergent, “There is a rock formation that will serve as shelter just behind us, or we can head toward oasis and seek shelter among the trees?” Swallowing hard softened tone added, “Your information is useful, I will warn the herd of spectral sightings,” snorting water from flared nostrils he asked, “Do you know what the Grey’s intentions are?”

Hidden Account
Phantom
[ ooc ; Tor can skip Cassi this time if she'd like. ^^ ]

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Cassiopeia doesn't speak again, and Tor glances at her briefly. No, it seems she is just allowing the draft to speak. Midas appears a gentleman, even despite the rain that soaks the world in its lashing whips, leaving us bedraggled. When did they and I turn to us? Tor wonders, and with the sense that yet again she is about to form another of her never-ceasing alliances, she moves towards the rock outcropping. The rain still patters heavily upon the harsh gray ceiling above their heads, but at least the few droplets to reach come only half-heartedly.

"I believe, Midas, that the Gray intends to offer our services to anyone. I am second to Ophelia-" Tor hesitates for a moment, not wishing to sound full of herself- "And I believe that we do take any customers, despite some... morality issues of said clients." The draft looked down for a moment, briefly crushed by guilt. I healed the Plague and the ex-Edge. For a few seconds, she almost says it, hoping to get the guilt off her back. Ophelia had said Tor was a kind being for doing such things, but the mare still felt a pang of nerves. She didn't want to hurt anyone! And when blessed with her gift of healing, surely allowing horses to go unharmed was to hurt them!

"Yes... but I do run my own sort of side-business, as I would put it." The paint attempts to give them a smile, but she knows there is guilt in her ochre eyes. "Should you have use of me, call on me, you two. I shall assist to the best of my abilities."

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
To his relief, feminine company seemed willing enough to move toward said overhang. Without hesitation he followed Tor and Cassipeia under shadowing walls—immediately glad to be out of the weather, and once again in acceptance of protection the earthy shelter had to offer them. With physical worries set aside, room for their conversation to continue became the focal point for all. Tor answered his question readily enough, and revealed that her positioning was of great importance. Though curious about this, Midas only nodded in response and asked nothing further.

His foremost thoughts were on Ktulu and gentle Ophelia…Truthfully, Throats general was still in shock that such an uplifting pair would seek a path filled with death and violence. It had only begun to wrap around an idea that his dearest friend could one day be called enemy. Was it so hard to accept the brief moment of peace surrounding them? These ideals started to blur, causing his focus to become distracted. He swallowed hard to clear throat of rising bile, "And I believe that we do take any customers, despite some... morality issues of said clients."

Joy.

Gaze turned to scan their cloudy horizon, finding a moment to ponder alone and let company sink away. All he could think was that, “It was sad thing to see their world sinking to new lows”…he was suddenly ashamed to be part of, ‘life’s grand scheme’. In that same note, Midas knew how people were of a cruel sort, and that all the wishing and praying in the world wouldn’t change them or the path they followed.

"Should you have use of me, call on me, you two. I shall assist to the best of my abilities."

Shifting back to the present Midas forced a smile to his face and chased away the serious frown he previously wore on a second ago, “Your offer is well received, you have my deepest thanks for sharing this information with us and extending honest friendship,” her eyes seemed mirrored to that of pale flower, tender and kind. He saw no malice within pooled depths, softening visibly the lad added with assertive edge, “If you find reason for a warrior in times of need, consider me available for such.” He was a creature of honor, and justice. Loyalty and trust. Friendship and family took threshold upon his every action.