Not in Kansas anymore...

Isra Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I S R A
“It is good to have an end to journey toward;
but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”

Something was wrong, terribly wrong.

Even casting her sharp senses over the unknown forest, understanding still eluded her. Isra had travelled a long way, she was meant to find this place. Right before she crossed the doorway her diadh-anam had throbbed wildly making Isra dizzy and breathless with possibility. Could she be so close to fulfilling her fate? Then she could go home soon. It took many moments for her to pinpoint the strangeness that currently troubled her and when realization dawned on her, Isra gave a gasp of dismay.

The voices of the forest were closed off to her.

They had been there since birth, bubbling warmly against her conscience for her to tune into whenever there was a need. But now, she couldn’t feel the slow pulse of the earth beneath her feet, couldn’t hear the slow dreams of the trees that surrounded her, wouldn’t be able to wake them and access years upon years of memories stored in their roots. Isra had spent the better part of a year travelling, never staying anywhere long enough to develop relationships but she had never felt more alone and scared than right now.

Maybe in these foreign lands – there was no way to be sure they were even in the same time and space as hers – nature wasn’t alive in quite the same way.

A blasphemous thought but Isra found herself testing the theory anyway. Turning to the other small magic left to her mother’s people, the ability to shroud themselves and their places in twilight. A simple enough concealment trick she had been doing since she was only a couple weeks old. Closing her eyes she thought of the time right between night and day, breathed in deep all available shade, held it within for a moment than breathed out to let it settle about her like a cloak.

Nothing happened.

The world did not darken and take on a silvery appearance, not even a twinkle in the air. Only the hearty sunlight remained, forcing an unsuspecting Isra to squint. Her throat tightened and she felt panicky. No one told her she could still lose her abilities once she passed the rites of adulthood. She had been touched by the goddess and still carried the diadh-anam in her chest, the spirit-spark. Didn’t she?

“Have you forsaken me too Great Mother?” She whispered out loud, waiting for the strong pulse of her diadh-anam to soothe her fears. Again there was nothing and her vision swam with unshed tears. “But why? I have only done as you directed” She pleaded to the sky, showing how young and naïve she really was for goddess never answered outright. When her knees began to shake from standing stock-still for so long, waiting for something to happen, or praying this was all some sort of mistake, she sighed and began to explore. She wondered what she might find.

The better question was what might find her.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Roaming eyes could search all they liked; it was unlikely they would settle upon the shimmering, fuzzy image of the little shadow that stalked the Threshold. A golden ray of sunlight – or was it a dragon? – filtered through the canopy above, darting this way and that. It was indeed a dragon, a queenly one at that, golden as the sun’s surface, glittering brighter than a sparkling crystal. The creature was bonded to the shadow-mare, by a link than ran deeper than even the ties blood could offer, a bond that combined their very souls and minds.

The singsong call of the equine and dragon were noticed, particularly by the dragon, who created a colourful trilling song as she flew above the fiery filly’s stance. Motions were made, a little ways away, by a dark smudge of a mare, it was difficult to know however – if one did manage to focus upon it for more than a second, they might think it was merely a trick of the sun’s heat, and continue on with their life. But it was a living, breathing creature who orchestrated this magic, this magic that defined her, just as her bond with her dragon did.

A smooth melody was hummed from the maw of the mistress, as she crept closer to the youthful femme. The shimmering veil fell away from her, and as she approached it was as if she were pulling herself directly from the shadows of the surrounding forest. The Threshold was a comfortable realm, for this mare enjoyed forests, but it was too close to the outskirts, too near to the part where Helovia became undefined and the wilds of the outside world more dominant over one’s existence. Warm, honey-gold eyes peered out from beneath silken tendrils of the charred mare’s forelock, a kind gaze held within them, though very little else was expressed by this devious little mare.

“Greetings.” The mare’s accented tones stated, and she bowed her sculpted tiara to the mahogany hued belle. Noting the unsettled way in which she was carrying herself, the mare tilted her tiara on a slight incline, showing her curiosity. “What brings you to Helovia?” The question was posed politely enough, a whisper of a smile hinting at the corner of her lips. The mare’s gaze roamed over the young belle, she was perhaps not that young, maybe only just coming of age, discovering the world for all it was worth. She stood upon the doorstep of a realm of opportunity, would she take the next step or would she trip at the doorway? Akaith glided easily down from the canopy now, alighting upon the obsidian one’s hide as delicately as a feather might land upon a pillow, her own swirling gem-like eyes drinking the sight before her for all it was worth.

[Meant to get a reply up the other day -sorry! :-) ]

Unregistered
I S R A

Isra would understand that bond.

The wild-folk, children of the Great Mother, carry their diadh-anams inside them, the divine-spark that gives them life and guides them on their intended path. It is a part of their soul that connects them to Her. To lose it would be like dying, worse than dying.

She knew, because she seemed to have lost hers.

Her mind shied away from the thought and tried to push it away into some dark nook. The worst thing of all was there were no answers to her burning questions and the utter lack of warning before it was taken from her. Or did the magic of this land just block her goddess’ connection to one of her children and it would return in force once her business here was concluded? But without it, how would she know when she was called home? She didn’t dare just leave, not without the Great Mother’s blessing, since it was Her guidance that lead her here in the first place.

She swallowed hard and tried to bend her mind toward a more practical preoccupation. A lone equine had to be concerned on where she would be getting his next meal or where she might be spending the night. These woods didn’t boast enough sustenance for permanent stay with all their circulation and even if with all her woodsy knowledge she was able too, repeated bunking might draw some unwanted attention.

If Isra had been feeling more like herself, had been more in tune with her surroundings, she’d have sensed Mirage before she saw her. But this time even the hummed lullaby, poignant and beautiful, failed to catch the mahogany girl’s attention. Even when Mirage had appeared and approached, she turned her head towards the stranger in an achingly slow manner –as if time itself crept by at a snail’s pace. Distant gaze just barely gleaning a kind look about the black mare and guessing that this other meant no harm. That she was being greeted and inquired of, Isra realized several moments after the fact. Not wanting to be rude, her tongue diligently worked to moisten her dry mouth and she swallowed as she fumbled for answers for the stranger. Rose-petal soft lips part to answer but freeze and left to hang open in an "o" as movement draws her gaze upward and follows the golden creatures decent onto its mistress’ back.

“A dragon!” she exclaimed softly, feeling something akin to excitement vaguely stirring in her veins. “They’ve gone extinct in my homelands, hundreds of years ago, but they are still in some of the legends… but they were described being much larger. Is it a baby?” Then she forced herself to hold her tongue, fearing that she would look like a rambling fool. “Well met, I’m Isra” realizing she had yet to greet or answer the stranger. But how could one explain the existence of diadh-anams to folk who had none? And she lacked the words to describe the Great Mother. The Others, a conquering folk with different Gods, invading her homelands. They could be here for days. Deciding to simplify matters, she said simply, “I’m here by my mother’s request.”

(I'm just happy someone replied XD And iffy post sorry, it's in the wee hours of the morning. I've been a busy girl)

The belle before her was, in a word; lost. The golden eyed femme could see this with ease, the insecurity, the curiosity, the excitement of what wonders would be awaiting her, the hesitance, the innocence – all the traits were freely expressed by the mahogany brown maiden, whose mane was as dark as Mirage’s entire bodice. It was odd for the shadowy mare, to think of what might happen to her should Akaith ever be wretched from this world before her own breathing ceased, and she were forced to go on – would she have been able to? But why would such things cross her mind, why should she think of ever being separated from Akaith, when such an event was unlikely, nay; impossible in her mind.

The exclamations of the youthful flicka stir warm feelings at first –but then she comments on the small stature of the queenly beast, and glittering scales rose on their points, a trail of dark smoke ascended slowly from her slitted nostrils. The dragon fixed this new mare with a sharp gaze, one that stared unswervingly through her very being. She doesn’t know any better, my dear, just as Vikram did not. Soothing tones sung a gentle hymn within her cranium, as the mare tried to calm the easily riled dragon. It worked, in part –at least the dragon did not spit a plume of flames at the other maiden like she had the last time her size was questioned.

A name was proffered to Mirage’s keenly awaiting ears, and she accepted it with a firm, polite nod, thinking it a kind and beautiful name, fitting for the naïve and gentle creature that stood before them. Her reply to the query Mirage had posed previously was a curious one, and the mare puzzled over it for a moment, for the deliberation which caused its delivery was noticed by her, and she wondered exactly which mother Isra was speaking of. Does she speak of the mother that birthed her, or a mother in the same respect that you are my own mother, sister, daughter; Akaith? The dragon was silent in her reply, equally perplexed but refusing to take too much interest in this filly until she was paid appropriately in compliments.

“My name is Mirage,” the mare extended, speaking her name and allowing the cloak of her magic to fall over her form a brief, fuzzy moment. “In response to your query regarding my beloved Akaith,” she referred to the golden creature who stared so probingly at the other, “she is no child, and has been by my side for most of my long life. They are relatively common here, smaller in size to their larger cousins, with abilities just as varied –the ability to bind to one’s mind and soul through the process of impression, being one example.” It was not the first time Mirage had discussed her beloved dragon and the bond that binds them with another in the Threshold, though last time it was with a beast who was equally draconic and equine in stature.

“Isra, your name is as delightful as the smile which so rarely decorates your visage; what is it your mother requested of you here?” Mirage was one to yearn for knowledge, oftentimes she came across as a heartless collector of the substance, taking it without giving any information away. But she was a changed mare, slightly, still devious in her ways, but more willing to give back; much more willing. The Qian was her reason for living now, just as her bond with Akaith, her magic and her mate were; she held them all with high esteem. For those parts of her to function properly she still needed knowledge, for knowledge was power – but she yearned for such power for different, less selfish reasons now. With a delicate smile openly curving her charred, velvet lips, she added;

“I ask only so that I might know if I am able to offer you my aid.”

[ I just, like, officially love Isra. <3 ]

Unregistered
I S R A

The effect her words had on the golden dragon was not lost on Isra.

Immediately she demurred in the face of the legendary creature’s anger. Large eyes – like a doe’s – brown flecked with green, had a sudden interest in her hooves. Her right foreleg extending slightly to flip a rock over and watch the insects scuttle from the sudden light of day. When finally she summoned the courage to peer sweetly up from beneath her long lashes, the dragon seemed calmer. At least Isra no longer feared her mane being a singed until it stood up like a filly’s… or her eyes being scratched out for her ignorant naivety.

The bonded equine and dragon, having piqued her interest, are the only things impeding Isra from slipping back into the numb state she was in only minutes earlier. Her fluffy ears are pressed forward when Mirage begins to speak, eager to soak in and digest any details about the pair or this place. “Pleasure to meet you Mir-“ she paused when the air grew hazy around the obsidian mare and smiled. It was at once delighted and sad, for she was also reminded of her own small magic that she had just lost. Isra thought it strange that a land, seemingly rich in magic and perhaps other fantastical creatures, stripped her of her own modest abilities upon arrival. She dared not complain out loud but vowed to sort out the puzzle the Great Mother laid before her.

“If that is the case than I’m positive that Akaith is every bit as grand an imposing as they come,” she said, trying to sooth any last prickly edges but probably botching the job. She wondered if one day she would be blessed with such a companion, for Isra loved being a part of something bigger than herself. A faint wrinkle forms on her youthful brow when Mirage comments upon her grave nature and her head lowers a couple notches, acknowledging the point. “I fear that I’m not feeling quite like myself” she said softly. Another smile graced her lips for the older mare, this one not quite reaching her eyes – for who can begin to guess at the will of a goddess?

“Thank you, Mirage. For the kindness you have shown me. Unfortunately she didn’t say exactly, only that I should come here… I guess one can only do her best to fulfill some mysterious task set before her.” Isra wasn’t trying to be elusive in denying the knowledge that Mirage thirsted for; it simply wasn’t in her nature. Perhaps once she got to know the ink skinned woman better, or felt like she had all the time in the world, she would spin out her tale for her.

(I'm glad! For I adore Mirage!)

The flicka before her seemed endowed with wisdom, a smarts that was hidden beneath youth and inexperience. It was difficult to explain, but her intelligence and careful manner of conducting herself drew Mirage in, the mare wanted to offer her comfort to the sad little minx, wanted to see a smile that touched upon all her features, not just the curvature of her delicate lips. The compliment paid to Akaith stroked the gold’s vanity appropriately, and amusement glittered behind the golden pools of Mirage as the dragon nodded affirmatively, her own draconic stance softening, welcoming the interaction to continue between the equines without fear of her flames or moodswings. You’re a silly creature. Mirage commented to her bonded playfully. There is no reason why I should not be treated like a queen amongst species other than my own. The dragon replied sharply, taking the baited comment in the manner that the mare expected.

“You are welcome, Isra.” The mare said, a little taken aback that she was being thanked so early on in the scheme of things. Kindness was something that did come naturally to the mare, though so many other things also came naturally to her, sometimes kindness was not the first trait she displayed. “My kin label me their leader, Isra. The Qian,” she spoke, stepping closer to the young maiden, so that the quiet warmth in her voice could be detected easier. “We welcome those who are willing to aid in protecting their fellows, in exchange for being protected.” The Qian were as much a part of Mirage as Akaith was, or her love for Vikram, the devotion behind her words was thick. “I hope one day to learn more about you, Isra; I enjoy learning of the lore and histories of other realms.” The comment was a bit different to where her words of the Qian were leading, but she connected them together with an easy, warm smile. “Should you wish it, the Qian would be glad to aid you in discovering and completely this mysterious task.”

Mirage held a lot of sway, in a lot of places. Though she called no herdland her home – yet – the Qian offered a security far better than a simple land could. She felt protected by her kin, just as her kin felt protected by her. She knew that any newcomers she encountered wouldn’t know any of this, but she also appreciated that it took time to earn one’s trust. Mirage was not one to trumpet her achievements out to the world, the friendships she held with figures of power were not insignificant; but there she stood, just simply as a mare who claimed to be a leader to a stranger. She could see how hard it would be to be in Isra’s place, but she hoped that the honest way in which she was conducting herself conveyed the truth behind all that she said.

Unregistered
I S R A

“The Qian

She repeated slowly, wonderingly, letting her tongue take its time shaping the unfamiliar word. Her voice was richly layered with a gentle foreign lilt, and while she spoke the common tongue remarkably well, the odd word still tripped her up. “Does it hold a special meaning?”

Isra felt that she understood the concept of the group; she still found it a little strange. There were her mother’s kinfolk, the original inhabitants of her homeland – small, nomadic, wild, with the magic of the Great Mother still running in their veins. Then there were her father’s people, the first race to migrate to their continent – large, conquering, and civilized with several gods to pay homage to. Others came too once trade routes were established from her father’s people. These were the races that made up her homeland and you could further break it down into families and location. Leaders were often picked from elders; the old wise women, for example, were given the chief respect of her mother’s folk.

Protection seemed to be the main focus of the Qian and it seemed to Isra that they recruited their members. Perhaps Helovia was more dangerous than one first glimpsed on arrival. To be sure, it stripped her off her magic and diadh-anam but magic and gods could be so fickle that Isra was devastated but not overly fearful. There were dragons here, smaller in comparison to those in the stories passed down generation to generation, so maybe the sizes of other creatures where on a different scale too.

What sort of rabbit-hole did Isra fall down into?

Before she let her young imagination run wild, Isra remembered she had a source of knowledge right here. “I’d be happy to share my story, but first may I ask how I might find The Qian should I seek aid?” Already the worldly traveller, Isra made friends and acquaintances easily but even the last one was more than a fortnight away. It was comforting to know that she already had an offer of help in a foreign land, by not only a lone equine but a leader. “And would you know of a sacred place I might visit?” Hoping it wasn’t a strange thing to ask here in Helovia, but Isra was raised a god worshipping individual. The Great Mother may not be able to hear her here but she would pray anyway and she had learned in her travels that it was always wise to offer respect to foreign gods when the opportunity arose.

Isra might be staying in Helovia a long time, it would be best to do it early.

(sorry for the wait and not my best. Still not feeling great)

Mirage’s eyes softened with fondness as the belle spoke the name of her group, the Qian. It did indeed hold a special meaning to Mirage, for it defined everything the mare was about. Warm tones shed some light for the youthful mare before her, as the little shadow mare tried to explain the meaning of her beloved group.

“The words themselves hint to a kind of hidden talent, lit by moonlight. Those that make up the group are ones I hold very dear; the Qian is more than a simple band of souls, they are my family, Isra.”

She hoped her words answered all aspects of Isra’s potentially broad query, and watched as the youth became thoughtful. She liked her, for the younger one did take the time to think – something that certainly was not done often enough of late. A smile crossed her shadowy maw as Isra inquired about finding the Qian.

“We reside mostly to the south, in the Deep Forest, though some of my kin also take residence amidst a herdland. Akaith often frequents our kin, so that I might know when I am needed – if you wish to join us, Isra, you need only look for her golden form in the sky and I shall come whenever you might need me.”

The invitation to join the Qian was hidden amongst her words, but she knew the sharp little femme would pick up on it – at least she did hope so, for she would like to gain the curious belle’s company. Addressing the youth’s second query, Mirage launched into her spiel about the Gods with an experienced and knowing air.

“The Veins of the Gods is further south than the Deep Forest, there you will find shrines of the three Gods of Helovia; the God of the Sun, the God of the Earth and the Goddess of the Moon. None know when the Gods might grace them an audience, but it is a spectacular climb at the very least.”

Here she paused her speech, having answered all the queries the young Isra had for now, her twin flutes awaiting potentially for more to come.

Unregistered
I S R A

Once her probing questions had been asked, silence reigned supreme on Isra’s end of the conversation. She afforded Mirage the same respect that she would have given during a lesson from one of the wise women. Or the rapt attention her mother secured while telling her tales of old. Indeed the velvety black mare with her gilded eyes deserved it, having been put in a position of authority by her kin and possessing far more knowledge of the land than Isra, whose voracious appetite for information had barely began to be satisfied. She listened to Mirage’s dialogue in its entirety, having already gotten the sense that it usually came back around and tied together nicely.

Isra was not disappointed.

Helovia was a giant puzzle with hundreds, if not thousands, of pieces to be sorted out and fit together. The gods would be the corner pieces, the lands and leaders would be the edges and she’d have to work her way in from there and find out where she belonged. What her purpose was here. The Qian sounded lovely, and Isra suspected her growing admiration of Mirage was dangerously close to putting her up on a pedestal. if you wish to join us… How easy it would be to agree wholeheartedly, to join right this second, she imagined the rest of the Qian to be similar to Mirage.

Without the reassuring pulse of her diadh-anam, Isra hesitated. Briefly she wondered if she would ever make a confident decision again or if she was always going to wait for a sensation that never came. Nevertheless, she heard there were three deities here and Isra suspected Mirage and perhaps her kin were followers of the Goddess of the Moon. That they were lit by moonlight. She had no idea what might happen to her at the Shrines, what if a God sent her on a task that conflicted with Mirage’s group? Isra was not confident enough to pledge herself to The Qian – not yet.

“Then the start of my journey lies south. Perhaps once I’m finished at the Shrines, I could visit you and The Qian,” she pauses, her earthy brown eye’s sliding shyly to dragon’s golden form. “And Akaith in Deep Forest? I will no doubt have more questions from what I've seen on my journey there and back."

((Not very long but whipped home on a break at work and I NEVER do replies on break, just glance around the site. Isra is just too easy to write xD ))

The dragon huffed again, though this time not in anger, but pleased acceptance of the filly’s words. She is a sharp one. The queen thought to her bonded, before abruptly taking to the air and leaving the vicinity. Mirage’s own eyes of aureate followed her briefly, before her gentle gaze looked once more to Isra.

“But of course,” the mare said, her voice pleasant and welcoming. “May the Gods bless you, as you deserve.” Extending her muzzle, she offered the soft velvet maw to the younger one to accept or deny, either way Mirage would not take offence.

“Be wary in the Deep Forest; the Qian are not the only things to reside there.” A small word of caution, given freely simply because she did like this youthful belle. “I look forward to seeing you again.” And answering any questions you might have, her expression may have conveyed the thoughts she had.

Being full of questions was a mark of intelligence, that one was observant enough to realise they had to ask questions in order to fully understand something suggested a desire to learn. Mirage, being a soul always yearning for more knowledge, knew the value of questions, and would gladly ask her own of the cherub when the time was right.

Bowing her graceful countenance to her, the mare took her leave, her path was directed South, though her cloak soon shimmered over her bodice. Should Isra be perceptive enough, she may be able to follow the scent of the mare most of the way towards the southern protrusion of the Veins.

[sorry about the wait, just wanted to wrap things up and yeah xD ]