the Rift

Around the campfire [Herd Meeting]

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

As the firm grasp of winter claimed dominion over the lands, it grew steadily colder for each week, no each day, that passed. In the northern reaches of the realm the sun set earlier and earlier each day, until the sun had but a few hours each day to chase off the shadows and disperse the mist. It was cold, it was dark, clouds blocked out the sky most days, bringing either snow or frigid perspiration that froze when landing upon a surface. The close proximity to the ocean made the climate moist, but not even the vast stretches of water could stave off the chilly gloom - it rather enhanced it, with the bone-cold, damp mist that always coiled around the legs.

The campfires instated by the DragonHeart was a true blessing in times like these. Not only were they a source of light and warmth, they also provided an excellent excuse to gather, huddle close to one another and savor the company of others. A family gathering of sorts, since Mirage kept insisting that the Qian was more of a clan than an organization.
Well, be that as it may, Lace still didn't know most of the horses that lingered within the borders of the Edge. Since the Invasion he had spent more time wandering about than socializing with this new family, and it felt strange to know that he was a part of a herd where he didn't even know the names of the others.

It was time for some bonding, and he had a plan as to how he'd make it happen. Rather than making a call across the lands to gather people, he had been hard at work most of the day, dragging and rolling large logs from the forest in order to increase the size of one of the campfires, the one closest to the cliffs and the Shrine. Fajira helped by flitting on and off, searching for good material and providing her fiery breath in order to clear off ice and snow and dry the wood.

Now, as the sun was setting behind a perpetual blanket of clouds and shadows growing darker, they were as good as done. The gray dun grunted with strain as he shoved the last of the logs in place with a shoulder, nodding pleased to himself when he took a step back, admiring the large pile they had created.

Done? the little White asked as she circled the air above the pyre. Yeah, done he nodded, smiling at the sensation of nervousness and excitement that leaked from his bonded. Go ahead, light it up. He took a cautious step back, golden eyes watching as the dragon rose higher into the air, flapped the delicate wings to keep her in place and drew a deep breath. Maws opened, releasing a torrent of searing hot flames that began to lick the damp wood, warming it up and chasing away the soaked in water. Smoke began to rise as lichen and moss sizzled and popped, white and reluctant at first, but soon joined by crimson sparks as the hot flames caught a hold. Another jet stream of liquid death ignited the lower layers of the pile, ensuring that the fire was going to burn hot and bright for a long time to come.

Grinning, the stallion stepped back even further as the warmth radiating from the pyre began to grow uncomfortable, found a good spot next to a tall, barren tree and leaned against the trunk, prepared to wait. Fajira soon joined him and settled on his whithers, singing a quiet trilling melody as light danced over them. It was a good night for a gathering, and he looked forward to see who would be lured in by the light and promise of warmth and company. Hopefully someone would have a few decent stories to share, or Mirage might have something to say to them all.

OOC: Let's have a little meeting, shall we? :) It's rather informal, but for the sake of telling the characters about it, lets introduce ourselves with names and rank when they arrive. Also, no need to write enormous posts - for the sake of a good flow, keep it fairly simple. Have fun! :)
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
at what speed must I live, to be able to see you again?

Torasin moved silently through the dark, eyes scouring the ground whilst Kiba scoured the skies. It was a one two combination that had been worked and perfected over the time they had spent together. A meeting was scheduled in tonight, one around the camp fire for a meet and greet. Torasin wondered just how many in the herd he didn't know, since he was there at the birthing of the Qian the paint found he knew a lot of the herd faces. There were some he hadn't met, those new and some old, and it was an exciting feeling to lay eyes on unfamiliar faces and their unfamiliar stories. Pale mane flicked and bounced, it's antics caught by the moon on rare occasion it shone through the branches. It's embrace welcome as it lit up the way more clearly.

His pace was brisk, the prancing trot that was his trademark gait carried him swiftly through the trees and into the embrace of the fire. Only one was there and the gilded steed instantly recognized Lace and his white bonded. Kiba trilled in exuberant greeting and flipped into a series if magical dances all for the eyes and ears of Fajira. Torasin smiled in fond remembrance of their first meeting and dipped his head in polite 'hello'. "Lace, my friend! How fares you and Fajira these days?" Each vocal as curt and illustrious as the one before it.

Light hooves took him closer to the dragon lit fire and he took comfort in it's warm embrace. Tonight was going to be one he would remember, around the camp with friends. It made the world seem less harsh and more inviting. After finishing his dances, Kiba came back down to his bonded and landed on his back where he then continued to curl up in, content and happy to wait for the others. Torasin smiled and watched his dragon with adoration, the paint simply could not imagine a life without him anymore.

& kiba
torasin

how much more do I have to lose, before my heart is forgiven?
image by schwartze @ deviantart.com | table by phantom

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
This cold night found the golden painted fem and her winged daughter seeking shelter. She had kept to herself, worried about how the cold would harm the two little ones under her care. A nervous glance backward for the little black feathered colt, hazel eyes searching for the young child the God of the Earth had brought to her. The sound of voices near by, the lure of a warm fire and company was enough to draw the mother out and bring the little ones with her. Azale had wasted no time, the filly seemed to be finding her own at the months wore on. However Solstice found herself keeping the filly close, the threat Ricochet had made on her child's life all to real. As she drew closer, the familiar voice of Torasin met her ears as he greeted Lace. She relaxed slightly as Azale bounded ahead to greet the golden painted steed. "Lace, Torasin.." She really had no clue what else to say other than to greet them both.

Azale however remembered the golden stallion that looked so much like her mother from when she was born. Without hesitation she ran forward eager to see him again. At full speed she crashed her small frame into the stallion's side with an excited whinny. She stepped back for a moment before butting her head against his shoulder again making sure she had his attention before speaking in her young voice full of innocence "HI..." She paused for a moment before continuing "Daddy?" The look of horror on Solstice's face was clear to all but her child. Her eyes looked to Torasin for a reaction. How her daughter got the idea he was her father the fem did not know.

Kamien Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Kamien
It is not rational to believe in miracles, for miracles are by nature irrational.

No more comfortable with the situation than the mare that had been made into his new mother, the foal kept some distance between himself and the mother-daughter pair as they moved through the misty forest. He didn't seem to mind that he ended up alone at times, with nothing but the traces left in the layer of snow upon the ground to tell where his provider of food and warmth had gone. In fact, he never spoke much at all, neither in complaint nor in praise. Maybe time would decrease the distance between the winged foal and his makeshift family, but for now it remained a temporary thing in his mind.
Somewhere a part of him still waited for the dark shape of his mother to appear, take him back and return the happiness that had yet to return since that day in the Veins. He missed the large stallion that was the embodiment of the Earth God too, the only father figure he knew of. In comparison, the simple mare that had taken him in seemed sadly inadequate, even when he really tried to think of her as a mother.

He slipped into the light of the fire like a small shadow, quietly following after the filly as she headed towards two other members of the herd. Vivid blue eyes regarded the strangers with little emotion, simply registering their names and appearances and storing the information for later use. Flaring colors cascaded across the feathered body as he slipped in beside his adoptive sister, nose reaching to nuzzle her shoulder when she spoke to the stallion with patched body and coloring similar to Soleil - to mother, he reminded himself.

"No wings" he pointed out quietly to the high-spirited girl, as if that single statement was enough to completely deflate her optimistic theory. Then he took into consideration her nature and decided to elaborate. "Mother have no wings, but you do. So someone needs to have them, and he - Torasin, don't. He can't be your dad." Your, not our. Because it was a fact that Kamien was not related to the two by anything but feeble promises, and he wasn't going to let anyone forget about that. Not himself, and not the filly who so far had managed to carve out the larger space in his cold little heart. It wasn't love, but at least she was somewhat important to him.

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron had been out patrolling the boarders and relaxing in the Endless Blue before returning back to the herdland. He had seen Lace during the day pulling wood together as if he was making a larger fire. The bay painted colt left the shadows just as his baby sister spoke. Her soft voice surprised him, but it was nice to finally hear her talk. The colt however he did not know, but seemed to be close to his mother and sister. Striding to stand near his mother he nosed her gently before speaking. "Torasin" He nodded to the other paint before looking to the silver with the spiderweb across his face. "Aaron, protector of the Edge, eldest son of Solstice." He glanced to the pale filly. "And my baby sister Azale Moniet." Brown eyes looked to the colt before looking back to his mother. Had she adopted the little black colt?

"Talk Talk"

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

Thor was his name, she learned.

Other than the vague introductions, they didn't talk much on the journey to his homeland. But it was not unpleasant—it was a companionable silence, interrupted only by the frost crackling beneath their hooves like delicate bird bones. She followed him quietly, trying not to stare too openly at his wings and watching as their breath unfurled in the night air like coiling silver serpents. The trees stretched on, and their shadows even longer in the pale moonlight.

It was strange to think she was no longer alone.

Yseulte's gaze swept their surroundings and up to the tangled canopy of glistening pine needles and starlit limbs. The wane moonlight filtered weakly through the branches overhead and dappled her back in a smooth web of laced shadows. Through the patchwork of the canopy quilt, she could see the last light of the sun trailing away in a smear of gray-blue, and the first stars trembled on the horizon line. The ocean murmured in the distance, and the taste of salt lingered on her pale lips.

Ahead, light glowed and the smell of burning wood filled her lungs. Laughter and voices rose and fell in the night air, blurring with the snap and hiss of flames. Fire. Her gaze lingered on the curling tongues of flame solemnly, as dark memories unfurled in her heart like the smoke billowing over head. Once, fire was comfort and home to Yseulte.

And then she learned fire had the power to destroy.

Tossing her pale horn to clear her head, she nudged Thor playfully and loped forward, the firelight casting her elegant shadow in spindly proportions across the frosted ground. She joined the glowing figures with easy grace, taking in the five gathered with a soft expression. The equines with the dragon companions caught her attention first, the grullo and painted stallion. She could not help but admire the dragons' smooth, shimmering scales and their bright, jewel-like eyes. And there were children, too, with whom she assumed to be their serene mother.

"Have you lost a pegasus, by any chance?" she said at last to the assembled Edge dwellers, her lips twitching with amusement as she motioned to Thor suggestively. "Because I've found me one."

yseulte,

image credits

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Tallow Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Winter gripped the world, sending shivers down Tallow's spine. She'd found that campfires dwelled here. Wonderful in a situation like this. The cold mare walked through the snow. She could see the shapes of horses in the distance. The Edge mare knew that here she would find company. She'd only recently met Mirage and Torasin. Not enough. The mare's eyes squinted the shape of 5 equines. A herd meeting. A smile on her face, the buckskin mare's formal nature acted. Standing a bit away from the others. "Hello, I am Tallow," she mused, noting the fact that it was raspy. Here was company! "I am but a commoner as of now, I want to earn my place in the herd. I hope I am welcome here?" Tallow's fake happiness masked the utmost pain in her belly. The pain that she could hurt one of them if they came to close to her heart. Any one of them. Her eyes flicked to the bottom corner of her eye. She knew that she would only be able to see her dark mate when she was with company. And sure enough she saw him. She noticed him move closer, so his eyes glinted. She shook her head. The buttercream mare watched him fade away. "Good on you," she whispered, "Leave me again, will ya." Her sour notes tuned quietly. She glared at where he had been. She knew that if she kept seeing him, she'd go mad. So company was the only solution. But she had it here. Smiling she walked closer to the pack. Could she be considered one of them? Confused slightly, the mare's ears flicked backwards. Her green eyes observed all of them. She saw a colt and relaxed. Were foals were, she was mostly safe. And she did have her steamy flirt abilities to get herself out of trouble. But she just wanted a friend.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

The conversation was easy, natural. I was not one to force my luck and instead chose to embrace the silence in between random comments about home, family, and life in general. She was a smart mare, one that I was glad to have met along the way and even happier to accompany to the Edge. However, upon nearing the heart of the land, burning wood stung my nose and infected it with the musky scent of ash. The glowing light drew me closer still and while I was somewhat confused, I was suddenly reassured at the sight of Aaron whom I had met upon my first few days in the Edge. He was a lively colt that took protection of his homeland very seriously and I was glad to see him here in the gathering of horses, some known and some unknown.

I recognized Torasin as well, the paint stallion had been inspiration to me in many ways as he had influenced my change of path towards becoming a healer. However, beyond these faces, I felt lost. I did not know the brilliant Grullo dusted in golden flecks along his spine and I did not know the two foals meandering around the campfire. I also had yet to meet the pale buckskin mare who had just joined the group. In a way I felt lost, but at the same time, I was quite jubilant to come across my first herd meeting.

Looking back to Ysuelte, I smiled briefly. Really, this turned out to be perfect timing… She would get a chance to meet anyone and everyone who called the Edge home and they would be just as delighted to meet her as well, this I was sure of. She was certainly a playful creature and for this, I was glad because I couldn’t deal with another animal like Avira, so “woe-is-me
. I was glad to find myself home once again and in good company at that.

Don’t be silly, the only thing they’re missing is a party and I was lucky enough to bring it home with me.” I laughed earnestly and it was a deep bellowing thing that was forced from my stomach into the open air, a sound that I hadn’t heard in a while and I was already growing partial to. This was home and I knew that for once, I could call it such.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
INK
I don't see the world unless I see it in

Black wings beat in the sky above as the dark dragon draws to the flame as if truly a moth. The appendages sheathed in leather, though oddly they do not seem thin or opaque, but whole and wet, swoop back and begin to cup the air as the body descends.

Just as forelegs are due to touch the earth, the creature explodes into a dismal rain. From the spray I reform, like midnight gathering in the sky. Ground kisses the soles of my hooves and I stride into the sudden transition at a canter, hind feet soon shedding their dragon claws and clutching the ground with firm toes. I quickly reign up into a halt, tossing my head with vigor - the sensation is still a new one. I don't imagine you adjust quickly to reassembling your body into ink particles, not even me.

It is a bold entrance, but it occurs mostly behind everyone, opposite the flames which would all too happily shed light upon me. Though I doubt my flying approach went unnoticed, I do not embrace the attention. Lingering in the back, ears trained forward at the merry and frivolous conversations, I watch.

If Lace means to learn everyone's names tonight then he would find disappointment in me. A new nickname would be added to my list perhaps.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

Slowly, one by one or in pairs they began to show up and Lace soon confirmed what he'd known all along. The Qian was a happy bunch, but he only recognized the faces of a few. They were all welcome, a happy escape from the darkness and chill of the night. A warm smile spread across sooted lips as Torasin and Kiba slipped from the shadows of the forest, the paint seemingly in a good mood. The grulla nodded back in greeting, ducked away from a sudden cacophony of trills and chatter as Fajira flew across the head to greet the younger Brown.
"Torasin, Kiba! It's good to see you are well. We've been somewhat busy as of late, so much that I feel as though the Qian has grown to double size since I last saw everyone together. It's good to have a break once in a while, don't you think?"

Even as he was speaking he turned the head and dipped the crown pleasantly as Solstice joined them by the bonfire, calm and gentle and with two winged foals in tow. He eyed them curiously and tried to suppress a smirk when the filly tripped up and claimed his gilded friend as her father. Not entirely unlikely, was it? But as the black colt claimed, it seemed that the little girl was slightly mistaken. It didn't keep the cob-webbed glazier from extending a teasing nudge of the shoulder to the paint, unwilling to miss out on the laugh.
"Seems you've been busy too, my friend" he winked, eyes glittering from laughter.

It was hard to contain himself enough to face the young stallion that followed after Solstice, but it was hardly appropriate to greet such a serious young warrior with underhanded jokes. "I remember you from the invasion, Aaron" the elder warrior greeted with a nod, quietly adding the names of the youngsters to memory. "You fought well, reminded me of myself a few years back. I am Lace, bonded to the white dragon over there and appointed Glazier - though I have to admit that the role as crafter still hasn't become entirely comfortable yet."

The presentation was extended to the horses that arrived as he spoke; a horned lady of a curious lavender beauty, a buckskin equine mare that spoke shyly to the gathered family, a pegasus stallion with wings much too small for the muscular body and a jet black black stallion who arrived in an explosion of ink toward the outskirts of the group. After Aarons arrival there were nothing but new faces, some he'd seen in the area but never spoken to. Lace greeted them all kindly with an increased sense of satisfaction settling in the gut. It had been a good decision to gather them all; a few still had yet to come, but he was sure that faces like Rishima's, Smoke's and Mirage's would show up eventually, if only for a while.

"Welcome to the Edge" he smiled toward the newcomers, soft golden eyes glimmering from the light of the fire as he nodded at Ysuelte and Tallow - they seemed to be the most recent additions, though he wasn't really one to say. "I hope you will like it here - I know I do, despite the never ending mist."

"How is everyone faring this winter?" he then said, extending the question to all the gathered ones. "It hasn't been all that long since this land became our home, and I know from own experience that it can be difficult to settle into a new region, especially at this time of year. Are there any concerns regarding food or water, shelter or trespassers across the borders?" He felt that the peace they had experienced was somewhat fragile, that the quiet from the exiled unicorns beneath the FrostHeart was unsettling rather than reassuring. The grulla was admittedly somewhat cynical when it came to peace however, and he wanted to know what everyone else was thinking. Especially the new recruits, who ought to view things with fresh and unclouded eyes.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden