the Rift

Heart of a Warrior [Smoke]

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin had resumed a strict, hard morning routine as of late. His injuries from searching for his children in the ruins of Isilme were healed, and he was now forced to run and leap through the stretching scar tissue to restore his body to its former glory. After a few weeks of this, his muscle already showed distinct signs of rebuilding. With a small grunt, he pushed his body up the side of a steep hill, tucking his haunches and leaping forward. His nostrils flared with every deep breath, and he felt sweat pouring off of him in torrents. The heat on his black coat was torture, but he endured.

After an hour of this, he slowed to a jog and made his way to a small pool of water and drank cautiously. He did not know how long this water would last, but he needed to replenish his fluids. Now, his next order of business was to find Smoke. He was pleased enough with his physical return, and he desired to become a greater, more integral part to this herd. Granted, being a subordinate to Soleil's parents was incredibly uncomfortable, but he enjoyed this place and so did Soleil. This was a good place for his family.

He jogged to a place where he had seen the leaders of the herd gather before, ears tilted to listen to the Warrior Mare. "Lady Smoke!" he called in his deep voice. He grinned, feeling a little more like his old self. "Lady Smoke, I wish to prove to you in combat that I am a perfect candidate for a warrior, or second lead to warriors." He waited patiently.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
She had been keeping an eye on him, at a distance. Watching through Zaffre's eyes at a distance how the black dun had pushed himself toward wellness as his body healed its wounds, his muscles growing hard again into the powerful warrior she remembered. And approved. As he'd recovered strength and stamina, she'd known it was only a matter of time before he would turn to her for assessment.

At last the day came when his voice rang out, calling for her. From the trees she emerged, a dark shadow parting from the shade that offered some small respite from the heat that plagued them this tallsun. No dragon sprawled upon her haunches this day, though she could sense the blue's presence beyond the heights of the waterfall that granted the land fresh, cool water, in turn basking in the sun and frolicking in the water.

Her dark gaze assessed Paladin evenly, taking in at close hand what she'd glimpsed through dragon eyes before. "You've recovered well," she observed with a smile, standing across from the stallion who stood somewhat taller than her, whose coloration oddly mirrored her own, though the causes were different. "What terms would you set for our spar, Paladin?" There was some humor to her gaze, that he wished to prove himself to her this way when she'd known him to be a capable warrior before he'd ever stepped into the Foothills. But she'd oblige him, fight against him to test strength and strategem against one another.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

When the Lady Smoke emerged from the trees, he bowed his head in subtle deference. Paladin was a natural leader - militaristic - but a natural leader. However, he was humble enough to defer power to those he deemed worthy. Smoke, in his eyes, was one of the most worthy leaders he had come across. She was intelligent, firm, and yielding at the same time, and he appreciated these characteristics very much.

Still, he was wary of her blue dragon, as any wise unicorn should be. The flames from those jaws was not something he was eager to experience any time soon, and he had heard from those with companions that they were linked emotionally.Emotions are not always kind or rational. However, it seemed that her blue had other things to do on this day besides sleep on her rump. He raised a brow when she commented on his recovery.

"My body rebels at stagnation," he replied with a laugh. "And I am of little use without my strength." Paladin knew that though his mind was keen enough, his prowess resided more in the physical arts. She seemed amused by his desire to prove himself; he saw it in her slightly sarcastic smile. "You think me amusing for wishing to spar?" he inquired with a laugh. "As for the terms of our spar..." he trailed thoughtfully, mirthful crimson eyes shifting to a darker shade.

"Aim to incapacitate, magic and Zaffre allowed," he replied, waiting to see if she would accept.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Dark head inclined in acknowledgement as he spoke, understanding what he meant. She herself was not one for being still, save for when circumstances demanded that she take it easy. Pregnancy could wreak havoc with one's level of fitness, and yet she knew she'd never reached the same peak that he strived for. She relied more on her manueverability and smarts than on physical strength.

"Somewhat." She admitted with a laugh. "More circumstantial than anything." Her tail flicked against her hocks as she waited from him to decide what he wished to do within this spar. When he at last brought forth his terms, she nodded. "Incapacitate, but not maim. Need both of us well and sound by the time we're through." Her grin grew rueful then, and she reached out mentally to alert Zaffre with a thought. She felt him cease his play and flutter to the edge of the waterfall, didn't need to glance up to know he was crouching on a stone besides the cascading water. Watching, waiting.

"First move is yours then, Paladin." Smoke said simply, allowing preperatory tension to slide through her limbs.