the Rift

Buying Time [The GREY]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

It felt as thought Phaedra had been walking for miles. She was used to flying, and covering the ground much quicker, however the thickness and age of the tree's that had taken up residence here, made that impossible. After she had departed from the icy mare, Ophelia and her dragon Tinek, she assumed there wouldn't be far to go, before she came upon the other members of The Grey. How could she be apart of something she knew so little about? But...she had taken one little detour...Phaedra curled her golden neck in and spied the amulet which hung around her neck. She marvelled at the odd light it held, and the way that it felt, just to hold it.

The forest was empty - at least where she was, or so she thought. With a nervous gaze, she looked around, suddenly very aware of the thudding of her own pulse. The amplified sound of nothing-ness made it actually seem like there was a cacophony of sound - every leaf and branch seemed to scream out at her with each passing step, or breeze. With a shiver, Phaedra reached out one of her tawny wings and gently tucked the amulet under tangles of sand-coloured mane. Out of sight. Satisfied, she enveloped her flanks with her wings, trying to block out the chill. Although the tree's provided natural shelter from the cold, it had still worked its magic fingers deep into her flesh, making her feel numb, and alone.

The Grey...Yes. That is why she was here. She didn't want to be afraid any longer. Perhaps they could teach her...teach her to be stronger. Ophelia had a dragon - why shouldn't she? Had Phaedra known more about bonded species, she would have realized that a Zephyr was more likely, but wishful thinking is still just that. She didn't know how the God's worked in this place, only that they did. Perhaps The Grey could teach her about that too.. .But for now...again she thought of the stolen amulet. For now, perhaps she could buy herself some time...time to learn what they could teach her. In the mean time, she would rely on her skills as a thief, should they prove useful.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of frozen earth being further compressed - a lurching and painful sort of sound. Phaedra's wings immediately unfurled, striking against tree's on both sides. Not only was the sky blocked by the thick thrush of the tree's, but there is no way she could achieve lift with her wings cramped as they were. Fearfully, as that habit had not yet been broken, her wild green gaze cast around, looking for what caused the sound.

HP: 45.5

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

"You look out of place." Ktulu murmured as she moved out of the cover of trees and into the mare's line of sight. She would not have if it had not been for Eytan crunching the snow under his paws and giving away their position. The young bear still had a lot to learn, but for now she would allow him to play and be a child. "Does the forest make you uncomfortable?" Ktulu, herself, felt more at home in the thick cover of trees than she ever had felt on the shores of the Tides or in the dunes of the Throat. This was home.

The dark mare drew in a breath, easily detecting her sister's scent on the strange new mare. Without the scent of blood there was nothing for her to worry about, for she knew that Ophelia was safe. "You met Ophelia already." Her head inclined toward the other mare. "Did she send you here?" She probably did, Ktulu decided. Ophelia had been doing quite a bit of recruiting for their group.

"I am Ktulu the Constrictor and he is Eytan." She nodded toward the bear cub that was staring curiously at the mare's wings.

Icon by Tay

Deceased

As Ktulu stepped into view, Phaedra's heart gave a terrifying lurch. This was a trap! Of course...the soft and serene one 'recruited' newcomers, and sent them into the forest. The deep, dark forest. Maybe it was only Pegasi that were recruited - bound to the ground, they were at a disadvantage in the thick trees....and then this darker one, had her way...As Eytan came into view, Pheadra reared up, suddenly filled with terror. The sight of the little cub was all the affirmation the little mare needed that this was indeed a terrible mistake. As she rose flightlessly into the air, the amulet swung into view, resting in the center of her chest.

"Did she send you here?....the Constrictor..."

Oh yes. She did indeed send me here. Phaedra thought, returning all four hooves to the ground, and backed up a few steps warily - branches catching and pulling painfully at her feathers. How frightening 'the Constrictor' sounded. In her panic, she imagined that this unicorn was controlling the trees, and barring her escape. She felt suddenly that if she looked back, she would see that the forest had moved entirely, to barr her way.

Phaedra lowered her head submissively, ears laid back out of uncertainty rather than aggression. Aggression was not something Phaedra knew anything of, yet now she feared that instead of learning to defend herself, she would instead die witnessing what it was she wanted to learn. Her frightening green gaze surveyed the impressive looking unicorn, and the cub. She was instantly mesmerized by the air of confidence and strength that Ktulu seemed to project. Or was it another trick...? Maybe that amounted to the same thing anyways.

"I am Phaedra, and yes Ophelia sent me. S-sh-she said I could be apart of The Grey..." That I wasn't useless...Phaedra tried to quiet the quiver in her voice, but found that she could not meet Ktulu's gaze. Suddenly, her eyes brightened. "I have this! For the Grey! For you" Phaedra curled her muzzle towards her chest, nosing at the amulet.

"Calm yourself." Ktulu said sharply when the pegasus mare began rearing and panicking at the sight of her and Eytan. He was nothing more than a small cub, the fact that the mare would panic upon seeing him did not sit well with the darker sister. Cowards would not do well in the Grey unless they chose to stay in the background.

The Constrictor ground her teeth together as the mare lifted herself off of the ground before coming back down and becoming submissive. Ophelia, what have you sent me? the dark mare wondered. Eytan looked at her curiously then looked back at the pegasus. Rather than venture toward her he stayed put out of concern for his own well being.

"I have no intention of harming you." She said evenly. Unless it is warranted. Finally, the other mare spoke and Ktulu took notice of the amulet. Ktulu's own amulet hung around her neck, the red gem and silver chain glinting in the fractured sunlight that managed to break through the trees. "Where did you get that, and why are you so intent on giving it away?"

Icon by Tay

Deceased

Phaedra suddenly felt small, and confused, not to mention childish. Wincing as the other mare ground her teeth out of obvious frustration, Phaedra sighed deeply. This mare was clearly a warrior...and what could the likes of Pheadra, ever do to win her over? Oh certainly she had her talents; she was fast, but why was she fast? Because of how often she had to run away. To flee to save herself. A mare like this, would not understand running. But at the same time, could she understand what it was to always have the losing hand? Then again, a pity party was one that Ktulu would surely not attend.

Phaedra settled somewhat as the mare continued talking. Knowing that she was effectively trapped, beneath this canopy of trees was oddly calming. As Ktulu mentioned the amulet, her heart jumped again. Yes! The amulet! "I stole it...that is acceptable, is it not? I thought....I thought it could help." She looked uncertainly towards Ktulu. How to make her understand, without sounding utterly pathetic, completely escaped the tawny mare. Could Ktulu not sense her desperation? She would do anything for The Grey - she had no other allegiances, but rather had plunged into this one, and now with an almost religious zeal, she would serve them; after all, she had nothing else.

Phaedra still eyed the bear cub warily, but focused most of her attention on the mare. Ultimately, her intuitions told her, that even if she and the white unicorn were equals in this little group, that perhaps Ktulu would have her way, should she find Phaedra unacceptable. But Ophelia said...She said they could teach me... Phae looked at Ktulu with unmasked admiration. Her green gaze softly took in the mare's muscles, as well as the odd marking's that she portrayed - her horn, her brand? Whatever it was, in Phaedra's mind, it clearly meant that she was special. Important.

Mutely, Phae began to try and plot ahead. How to show them that she wasn't a coward? Well, flailing as soon as they arrived, clearly didn't help. But the amulet? The fact that she stole it? She could do it again...could steal other members. Maybe she could even learn to fight? She flicked her tail back and forth at the thought. Could she ever be strong? Could this mare perhaps, teach her that? A sinking feeling set in as Phae spied her odd marking once again. No, a mare like this was surely not to be the one to teach a cowardly mare like Phae but...maybe just being around her, would be enough.

[OOC: You're such a peach for posting <3 ]

It was, in fact, a bit surprising and impressive that this mare who seemed to spook at the sight of her own shadow was ballsy enough to steal an amulet. Who she had stole it from was unknown and Ktulu was not really concerned with that fact. Perhaps this mare had some use, after all. Once again Ophelia had picked someone who had some hidden talent that could aid them all in the days to come. Perhaps she could teach some of their spies the fine art of thievery.

"Well done." Ktulu finally said. "Items like that will surely help us in the future." She looked at the amulet again before lifting her head and straightening her posture a bit. "It is yours, you keep it." She, of course, would have to defend it herself should the one she stole it from come looking for it. It would be a lesson in defense and consequences.

"Welcome to The Grey." She said after deciding that there was little left to say. "You are expected to be present at group meetings. If you're interested in being a healer or a spy your leader is Ophelia. If, for whatever reason, you're interested in a position as a warrior or an external force then I will lead you."

Icon by Tay

Deceased

A tidal wave of relief flooded through Phae's veins, causing her to noticeably stand taller, and prouder. For an instant, she could feel what it would be like to be apart of something, really apart of it. The adoration in her eyes turned slightly fearful as Ktulu instructed that she should in fact, keep the amulet. She was no protector...how would she..? It's a test Her mind hissed at her. Yes... That must be it. What could is a thief, if they couldn't hold onto their goods? Then again...I'll have to come up with a different word for thief The little mare thought. She didn't like the way it sounded.

If, for whatever reason you're interested in a position as a warrior....

Phae decided that these words were likely forced...just a political correctness on Ktulu's part. Part of her heart sank, somewhat. No, she would never be a warrior. Still, the fact that the mare extended her that amount of respect, was rewarding in itself. Phae resolutely nodded her head. "I won't let you down" Phae winced at how immediately corny that sounded. But really, what else was there to say? Actually, Phae's mind was bursting with a million questions: How did Ktulu get that bear? Were there other items she could steal? Who were the other members? Did they have any targets? Her tail flicked absentmindedly as her her mind reeled. Still, she kept quiet, sensing that Ophelia may be more patient with her battery of questions, than Ktulu might.

Deciding to depart, before she became a pest, Phae bobbed her head once more. "I'll take my leave of you then, Ktulu. Just know, that I am for The Grey." Her words were genuine, whether Ktulu knew it or not. But she would show them. Somehow, she would.

[OOC: We can end here if you want :) ]