the Rift

[Quest] Collecting the Final Elements.... [Mirage/RE/Open]

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
They had traveled from the firey heights of the Veins of the Gods, only to have their path directed back to one of the places that had been necessary to visit on this round about path toward the acquisition of magic. It still weighed on the stallion's mind, how the simple words of a god did not directly translate into the tasks that were given. Dig up gems indeed! It wouldn't be easy to dig up lava stones from the sea floor unless low tide and those stones coincided. Doubtful. That would be too easy, a matter of waiting and finding the right location.

Yet there had been a name dropped, that of a dragon who dwelt in the oceans. Somehow, thought Vikram as he paced over soft sands and toward the lapping waves, he doubted this would be another small dragon of the sort that bonded with equines. No, he suspected this individual to be something more similar to his mother or her mate, great and terrible in size.

Golden eyes gazed past the white-topped breakers that rolled in to wash over dune and stone, foaming over scoured shores to wash up the small treasure of the sea for some little while before greedily sucking them back into the depths again. Without hesitation he waded out, knee and hock deep, allowing the salty water to roil around his legs and dampen chest and barrel and wings. His long tail was lifted above the grasping waves, but its tasseled tip was quickly growing lank with moisture.

"I ask to speak with Jörmungandr, dragon of the sea, should it so suit his fancy to speak with such as I." His deep voice rang out, louder than the rushing rumble of the waves.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
Despite the Light magic that defined Mirage’s soul, the Lord Solar still saw her for what she was, a dark moon follower, a shadow, a wraith upon the lands. It was to be expected from a god who could see all things, but it still made the mare feel like she was being cut open on an examining table. The presence of Vikram was comforting to her, and she followed him once more, to find this dragon who might help them uncover the next ingredient required for the dragon-stallion’s enflamed breath.

With ease the mare followed the brute to the shallows of the ocean, standing slightly deeper though she had waded out to the same depths, being shorter than he was. She was thoughtful, many a thread of enlightenment twirling about her tiara, and her eyes looked out over the vast expanse of water with a deep, faraway expression; the intensity of her gaze seemed to be beckoning the ocean to part before them, to reveal the next step to be taken. Akaith, who had remained atop her bonded’s withers, followed her gaze, and they both listened as Vikram intoned his summon to the dragon of the ocean.

And then they waited.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The entire ocean seemed to groan loudly as if the world itself was waking from a deep sleep. Shells and pebbles jumped against the hardened beach sand, and rocks on the sheer cliffs tumbled into the ocean. Water that was once glassy and smooth now trembled and grew in violence. Everything that was peaceful about this beach turned violent, and the first rains since the start of tallsun fell hard, only on the beach, drenching the two onlookers.

From the waters curled a great, dark and scaled face, and the dragon blew stormy winds from his lungs as he yawned. Bright, blue eyes blinked awake and turned to settle on the two, tiny creatures on the beach. "How long since my name has been uttered...?" he asked, his voice like thunder. "I thought your kind had forgotten me." The great dragon moved closer and swam closer to the beach, lowering his face. A single scale on his face was the size of one of their hooves, and as he grinned, his fangs about as thick as their torsos. "Tiny creatures. One of fire and one of light, bathed in darkness. Curious. What is it that you need from me?"

Kachie
In response to his call, the ocean moved. Not just the steady inward roll that it always had, no. It roiled like the waters beneath a heavy storm, splashing the hybrid and getting him increasingly wet, even as his twitching ears caught the high pitched clatter of rocks and shells vibrating against themselves and the sand. For a moment he wondered if this had been a good idea, before any opportunity to flee was erased by the emergence of the creature he'd called.

An enormous head rose from the waters, the salty liquid cascading off the scaley face of the dragon. Vikram watched in quiet awe as the beast rose up, dwarfing him in a manner he'd not experienced in many a year. And then, this was so much more than what he'd seen amongst his dragon kin. Yes, he felt rather tiny now, insignificant against the magnitude and sense of ancientness of the one called Jörmungandr. In the midst of this there was a wild, gleefull moment in which the hybrid looked toward the mare and golden dragon beside him with a grin, wondering if Akaith now understood his first comment to her, about being small.

His voice was deeper than his own, rumbling like thunder rolling overhead while a strange rain shower soaked his petitioners. Vikram didn't budge as the dragon swam closer, instead gazing up into a face that blotted out the sky from his view. "I fear the ones who reside near here all but have forgotten you, Jörmungandr. But I was sent by the God of Light and Fire to beseech you for aid in bringing to the surface the lava stones that rest beneath your waves. They are necessary for my quest to gain the fire breathing capabilities of my mother's kin."

Turmoil was born, the ocean churned around them, beneath them. Though they were surprised at the sudden requirement to hold steady against the thrashing waves and shifting sands, their stance remained unmoved, their bodies firm and strong against the tirade of the sea. Mirage tilted her head up, reducing the amount of saline liquid that might splash up near her eyes, her svelte flutes tilting backwards to prevent an infection borne of the liquid also. A rumbling, the sound of the ocean floor moving, vibrated through them, though Akaith recognised it as a dragon moving, and they braced themselves for what might come.

Inside, they were filled with awe and amazement at what rose before them, both mare and dragon inclined their majestic crowns to the beast, respectful that they were of the draconic species, but also not foolish enough to ever question something that large and carnivorous. Vikram's glance was not lost upon them, a shadow of a smile curled the mare's lips as Akaith stuck her forked, barbed tongue out at the bronze steed, a thick plume of dark smoke exiting her maw at the same instant.

"We stand by Vikram, m'lord, and are happy to aid yourself and he in whatever way we are able." Colourful, rich accented tones spoke steadily to the great beast of the sea, sincere and steadfast.

Helovian Ancient

Jörmungandr saw the tiny dragon, obviously bonded to the darker mare. He grinned at it and snorted a burst of water. Though cute, he knew the story. The Great, their King, the King of Dragon's granted these small, earthen creatures these winged, stunted child-dragons as companions. He had not seen one in quite a few years, but he found their size fitting to their mates.

The one, half dragon himself, recognized his name, and the sea beast laughed jovially. "Ah so you know me!" he replied, sending a torrent of waves crashing to shore. "Excellent, excellent... You wish to be more like your mother's kind, I see. A true predator. That is certainly commendable." The dark one spoke, and he nodded in appreciation of her camaraderie to the dragon's son.

"I can get those lava stones for you, yes," he replied. "While I am under, you should fashion yourselves a way to carry them. Though, your child-dragon may be able to do just that, given his immunity to the heat. Fare thee well for now, young earthlings!"

The water dragon tucked his head under the water again and the ocean stilled. Storm clouds gave way once more to the bright and glorious sun.

Kachie
It was pleasant as always to hear Mirage speak, stating now how she and Akaith stood by him in this. Admired how steady her voice was in the face of a creature greater than the dragons she was familiar with, greater even than the ones with whom he shared kinship with. It amused him to see the sass from Akaith, and he nearly laughed aloud when she stuck her tongue out at him and blew smoke.

But his attention was drawn, inevitably, to Jörmungandr. He smiled and bowed his head to the dragon of the sea in acknowledgement of the great beast's words. Actually, he was familiar with the name, courtesy of his mother's late night stories of dragons of great renown and great size, of legendary tasks. But he'd never heard the tales about the little dragons, which made him wonder now. Yet he hadn't time to linger long on those thoughts, for there was a growing sense of pleasure when Jörmungandr volunteered to get the stones for him, and asked nought in return. Merely tasked him with rigging up something to carry them in. And then the great dragon was gone, diving beneath the waves and taking the rain with him.

Snorting softly, Vikram retreated to the shore, shaking the salty water from his wings for now. "What do you think would be the best way to carry the stones?" He inquired of mare and dragon, glancing back to them before sending his gaze down the shoreline that was now strewn with debris washed up by the waves that Jörmungandr had kicked up. One thing caught his eye, and he paced over to sniff at the empty shell of a turtle. It was rather expansive in size, if shallow. Contemplatively the hybrid nudged the edge of the shell. "Perhaps we can set up some sort of carry-all with this."

Akaith listened intently to the dragon, her own draconic senses senses picking up nuances that might have been missed by the equine souls beside her. He was a cheery dragon, and longed to help them, and yet, he could not provide a way to carry the bounty of the sea - it was yet another task that they would have to aid Vikram in completing. It was willingly that the mare and dragon then brainstormed furiously over how they could help, indeed AKaith's scales were impervious to any heat and she could carry some just in her claws, but that all depended on exactly how many stones were required.

Vikram's suggestion of the turtle shell caused them both to nod in affirmation, though they still needed a way to carry it. With a short trill, Akaith darted to the skies, scanning the beach for what she knew would be able to help. It is strong like ropes, and wet enough that it should take a while before the heat of the stones affect it... her thoughts wee a bit rambly, but Mirage knew what it was she was looking for.

"Akaith will fashion a harness to transport the shell, out of seaweed." The mare spoke, her eyes trailing the flying form of her golden companion with some fondness evident. Akaith, meanwhile, gathered as much of the thicker, stronger strands of the watery weed, flying back to the stallion and mare often, dumping her pile at their feet. Stand on this end, she commanded of her shadowy friend, who obliged, placing a hoof upon the end of three strand of seaweed, which Akaith then proceeded to braid, to make the ropes all the tougher. With much flicking of sand from her scales and a little bit of chittering, growling and grumbling, the dragon worked furiously but quickly. Mirage had to glance with silent amusement at Vikram, and she touched him upon his nape gently, before speaking quietly.

"I shall not join you on your final leg to the Veins; my presence was not appreciated by your benefactor last time. Akaith will carry the stones for you still, of course."

The dragon had bitten holes through the shell in appropriate places so as to attach the shell to the makeshift harness, and slung the seaweed contraption over her scaly head now. Testing it, she rose to the air, commenting dryly to her beloved it will be easier when it has some weight in it, right now it feels like the wind is trying to divert my path too much. It was a peculiar sight, that of a dragon with a turtle shell swaying in the ocean breeze beneath it, seemingly tangled in seaweed. But it would surely serve its purpose.

Landing once more, and sitting in the shell, equine and dragon waited with their friend, for the great one from the sea to rise once more.

Helovian Ancient

Jörmungandr's arrival was punctuated by the sea stirring up once more. The sky darkened and the waves lapped wildly. Steam and smoke began to bubble up from the dark depths, and the dragon's head emerged once more. White, hot clouds billowed from his jaws, and he saw the turtle shell carry-all that they had fashioned. Blue scales shimmered in the light as his great neck arched over, and he dropped five, large stones into the shell.

They were nearly as brilliant as his scales, but a different color entirely. Round, like dragon eggs, they shifted between red, orange, yellow and white. All the water that was in the shell hissed and fizzled as it vaporized, and the inside of the shell was darkened as it charred. Still, it would hold just fine. Jörmungandr retreated a little ways back into the sea and looked at the pair curiously. "Be wary of the God of the Sun." He warned kindly. "And good luck, Dragon-Son."

Just as he was about to dip back into the waves, the water dragon looked at mirage. "You helped selflessly and gained nothing in return," he mused thoughtfully. The dragon arched his spined back from the sea and picked off a silvery amulet from one of the bony protrusions. "A gift from myself and the Moon Goddess. It can steal a magical ability that you can then use at a later date. I was told that it currently contains the power of one of Helovia's ancient kings. He had the power to disappear entirely and travel like a shadow through the land. Use it wisely."

That said, he disappeared once more into the sea.

Kachie
Standing beside Mirage, he watched as Akaith worked on the turtle shell, ears tilted forward with curious interest. The nimbleness that the dragon possessed made him somewhat jealous, knowing his own body would never have the ability to work his surroundings in such a fashion.

When the dark mare touched him, he glanced to her with an inquisitive look. Her news was greeted with an understanding nod, and he brushed his muzzle briefly against her neck. "I appreciate your help, both of you." His gaze returned to Akaith just as she was finishing the harness and testing it, and he admired the way it put together.

But then Jörmungandr returned, setting the sea to boiling again, making putting a storm back into the sky. Automatically Vikram turned to look, watching as the great sea dragon bent his massive head down to drop hot stones into the turtle shell, stones that glowed in the colors of fire and blackened the interior of the shell even as they evaporated the little moisture therein.

Jörmungandr spoke, first a warning and then to wish luck upon the hybrid. A warm feeling filled Vikram, hearing himself referred to as Dragon-Son. It felt right, and pleased him immensely. But not nearly as much as he was pleased when the sea dragon bestowed a gift upon Mirage. An amulet, possessing interesting magic. And then he was gone, disappearing into the waters almost as though he'd never been there. But the drenched landscape belied that, carrying the promise of renewed life in its folds.

"It suits you." He murmured as he nosed Mirage's shoulder, smiling warmly. "I suppose that means we should go then, Akaith. If you need a brief rest, or to steady the shell, you're welcome to rest it on my back for a moment or two. I think I can bear the heat that long." Back was that giddy grin, knowing his quest almost over, and it lingered on his features even as he turned back for the Veins. "See you soon, Mirage."