the Rift

Those We Meet (Xanthos)

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Wind and silence. The Thistle Meadow was strangely quiet, the naked branches of the sparse red oaks swaying slightly in the breeze. The sounds of the river, where it wasn’t frozen, bubbled merrily, ignorant of the cold around it. While the grip of Frostfall was still present, the day was warm, the mid-afternoon sun giving enough heat off that it wasn’t unpleasant to be out and about.

One creature was standing upon a snowy hilltop, with piercing cerulean eyes scanning the fields.

It didn’t take long for the Haflinger’s wanderer spirit to grow restless, causing her to leave her new home in the Windtossed Foothills to venture out further into Helovia. She had traveled south; skirting past the Threshold and the Deep Forest before arriving in the Thistle Meadow, where she stood now. The wind toyed with her white tail and mane, strands flopping over her neck and carelessly tossing her long forelock into her eyes. With an experienced flip of her head, her forelock fell back to the side, clearing her vision once more to continue her survey of the meadow.

The red palomino turned her head, inhaling deeply through her nostrils. Helovia… It was a land that held promise for her, at least for some time. Yet, how long would it take for her to yearn for more? Regardless of the answer, this was her home now. Svetlana had welcomed Romani to her herd in the Foothills, and she wouldn’t disgrace the Chieftesses kindness. Perhaps what she should be searching for was purpose, instead of adventure…

With a snort, Romani continued on her way down the hill, moving with smooth grace and confidence.

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable
[Image: xanthosprofilepic.png]

Xanthos
I will live for you
before I die

Ever since the meeting held at the arch, Xanthos had found himself drifting in and out of Frostbreath, undetermined on what he wanted to do. It was an awful predicament for the grullo to be in, and he feared that if he lingered near the other members for too long, they might force him into harming one whom was hornless. Psyche had made it clear that she would not stand for traitors, and that was exactly the reason Xanthos had remained quiet during the whole thing, as most of the others had. Still, he had been admittedly surprised at some of the others anger towards the dark mare.

Today he found himself in wide open meadow, speckled with only a few trees whose branches were caked with thin ice. Soon this would all be melted away and gone, and as much as Xanthos couldn't wait for that, he knew that nothing would be different in Frostbreath come the season of Birdsong. It wasn't as bad today as it had been in the previous weeks, for even out in the open, he didn't find himself pining for cover from the wind. His cloven hooves pressed softly into the snow as he walked alongside the frozen river, his yellow eyes simply enjoying the scenery. Perhaps he would revisit this place once the snow had parished and brought forth new life into the land.

At that moment, the stallion paused in his movement and lifted his head, noticing something on the wind. It was the scent of another like himself, yet who they were or what species they were was unknown to him. Curious as he was, Xanthos resumed his pace, even picking up into a lengthy trot until he spotted a figure in the distance. From what he could see, she was an equine and presumably alone, and she did not seem a threat. It took little time for Xanthos to continue closing the gap between them, careful to keep a calm and unthreatening demeanor. He meant the mare no harm, and hoped that she could see that in his movements.

"Hello," he spoke up once close enough, stretching his nose out ever so slightly towards her, "My name is Xanthos. What are you doing out here all by yourself?" His question was innocent enough, he thought, and his only hope was that this wasn't some racist, unicorn-hating equine.

The moment that she scented another on the breeze, Romani froze in mid-step, lifting her head up high to scan the area around her, ears perked forward in attentiveness. A blotch of cool tan marred the pristine white of the meadow, and the mare tilted her head slightly as she took in the other creature’s appearance.

The grullo, unicorn stallion stood taller than her by quite an amount, but his demeanor made the palomino relax. He didn’t seem overbearing and pushy, and instead approached her with a gentle sort of non-threatening air. An ebony mane tousled around the nape of neck, black forelock weaving carelessly around the base of a white, crystalline horn. His elegant tail was leonine with a tuft of black at the end, but what captivated Romani the most was the sight of his golden eyes. Black, slit pupils stared back at her curiously, as if examining her the same way she was doing to him.

A stallion his size, and he’s cowering in front of me…? Where does he come from, I wonder?

Xanthos was his name, this unicorn stallion, and despite herself, Romani found this steed to be quite handsome. Of course, she wouldn’t admit that out loud. Watching as the grullo outstretched his neck, the red palomino did the same, yet didn’t touch her muzzle to his. She was simply scenting him, taking in the smells that came with him. He smelled of ice and shadows.

“ Greetings Xanthos,” the compact mare said in response, expertly flicking her white forelock from her face, exposing vivid cerulean eyes, “I’m Romani, of the Foothills. I’m merely exploring Helovia; I’m an adventurer. What are you doing here?”

Of course, she didn’t mind the company, if Xanthos was so ready to give it. She hadn’t been in Helovia very long, and had only met a few of the inhabitants of the land… Perhaps it would be good to have some friends.

Outcast

Xanthos
I will live for you
before I die

Xanthos was very much aware of the height difference between the two of them, and although he was confident in his abilities to fight, that was not what he sought. The grullo feared that he would get his fair taste of that soon enough considering his involvement in the Plague.

Shifting his weight where he stood, he focused his attention upon the palomino, admiring her bright azure eyes. They were near impossible not to look at, but Xanthos managed to remember his manners and flashed a smile at the mare before he spoke. "Romani?" He repeated, although it was far from a question, "What a beautiful name, if I may say so." When the other had brought up the Foothills, he recalled briefly hearing of them, but never had he set foot within them. "I am doing the same, you could say," he continued on, "I just wanted to have a break from my home in Frostbreath. It is the coldest place in Helovia, I'm sure, and the unicorns there are almost as bitter as the very grass of which we eat." He added a chuckle then, hoping his words wouldn't be followed up by a strange look from the mare. The stallion truly didn't want to go into the details.

If Romani did not mind his presence, then perhaps this wouldn't be the last time they met. His 'friends' in the Plague would not have it, he knew, but the grullo was careful to assure that he was alone whenever he left Frostbreath behind. If they found out, he didn't want to imagine what they might try to do to this beautiful equine standing before him.

Romani
The grullo stallion’s description of her name threw the mare for a loop, as she had never had anyone tell her that her name was ‘beautiful’ before… Nor was she particularly used to flattery. Forming a relationship any further than friendship had never been on her mind, and she wondered if such ideas were forming in the unicorn’s head.

“Thank you, I suppose.” The Haflinger said with a soft chuckle and slight toss of her head, cerulean depths filled with mirth. It was obvious Xanthos amused her. His warm attitude was a welcome change from the cold around them, and he seemed humble and kind… Just the kind of individual she enjoyed spending her time with.

The mare then proceeded to remain silent as the tan creature before her spoke, listening keenly as he recalled where he had come from. Frostbreath… She had never heard of it, but just the name alone made her shiver. Romani could only assume that it was even more icy and frigid than the land around them, and that was saying something. The comparison of grass to Unicorns caught her attention, but she didn’t speak on it. Perhaps it was better to save it for another time…

“If it’s as you say, Xanthos, then I don’t blame you… Such a place sounds brutal and relentless. I don’t think I’d enjoy being there. What made you want to live there?”

A gust of wind passed by them, tossing their manes about in the breeze, and Romani once more tossed her forelock from her face with an irritated huff. Frostfall couldn’t end soon enough, in her opinion. The cold and snow were growing boring, and she found she was excited to see this land during the spring. Redirecting her attention, she smiled warmly to the young stallion who still stood before her.

“May I ask you something, Xanthos? Would you care to accompany me? Just for awhile longer?” She paused, suddenly lowering her head slightly and looking somewhat sheepish. “I haven’t met many others in Helovia yet, and I’m afraid I don’t have any friends…”

table by tempest @ sordid secrets

Outcast

Xanthos
I will live for you
before I die

For a moment, there was a fleeting worry that he had upset the mare by his comment towards her name. He had not wanted to make her uncomfortable, not in the least, but she remained where she stood and was otherwise quiet. Perhaps Xanthos was merely over thinking on it in his attempts to be as much of a gentleman as possible. Putting his worries aside, the stallion let out a soft exhale and focused on the rest of their conversation.

Now, it was his turn to let loose a chuckle. He had not wished to join a group of racist, supremist unicorns, and had done his best to avoid contact with them. Still, a part of the grullo had found it hard to ignore their plight, for their home had been taken away from them and they had been banished to the most unforgiving part of Helovia. And for that, he would stand beside them, even if he did not entirely share the same views as they. "I didn't quite ask for it," he answered at last, "But as rotten as they are, I can't bring myself to just leave them behind. Not yet." Which, he was able to admit to himself, was true. Should the Plague ever truly start to warp his mind, he would leave them in the dust in a heartbeat. A foolish move, they would think, but hopefully one he would not have to make soon.

When the palomino presented her own question, Xanthos was more than happy to move away from the subject of his current home. The thought of roaming and exploring the depths of Helovia was exciting to him in itself, but to have someone at his side along the way was even more so. Not only would it be safer, but also, the loneliness that had always encompassed him would not be able to take grip of him. So without hesitation, the stallion threw his head up in a nod. "I would love to, Romani," he said in reply, yellow eyes dancing, "I would much rather end up lost in this place with someone at my side."

Romani
The way that Xanthos skirted the subject of Frostbreath caused the mare to want to ask more questions, but she felt as though it may not be her place. Maybe after they had spoken more and gotten to know each other on a deeper scale, then she would inquire more about his home herd. After all, it would be rude to demand answers from him, especially since he was being such a gentleman to her…

His last words to her made Romani smile and her head lifted high, ivory tail flicking to the side. She was glad that Xanthos agreed to accompany her, even if it was for awhile. “I agree,” the Haflinger responded, azure eyes bright with pleasure, “With some of the places in this land, I’m not sure I’d want to even venture into them alone. I know that I passed the Deep Forest on my way from the Foothills, but other than that, I am unfamiliar with Helovia, or what it has to offer.”

Stepping closer to the handsome grullo, Romani turned her gaze past Xanthos, taking in the vast sight of the land. She was quiet for a moment before a somewhat competitive smile crossed her lips, and blue eyes flicked back to the Unicorn before she spoke. “How about a race, Xanthos?” She asked, challenge in her tone, “I may be smaller than you, but I can promise I’m just as swift.”

table by tempest @ sordid secrets