the Rift

When Spring comes, we will be STRONGER. [Mandatory Herd Meeting]

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

Side by side, mother and daughter stood by one another with a calm serenity painted on their faces. The desert had given way to the chill of Helovia, but in the close of such a season, there was warmth to be had, especially in the high rise of the sun in midafternoon. The snow had all melted, leaving behind splotches of dark, deep browns tinted red glittering in the sunlight. Amid the great waves of the desert, the bands of dark and light sandstone, the daughter waited beside her mother, silent. A pale face held in honor and respect.

It was then the call rang forth. The mother's mouth tilted upward, releasing a powerful call that the wind pushed forward, down the cavernous hallways of crimson stone and out toward the rest of the herdland. The rocks would amplify the call, beckon each member to gather here, to listen to their leader now. Movement in the Frostbreath Steppe had not gone unnoticed by the Throat, and with the several attempts at ambushes and the few missing members of their allies, it was time to take movement. This winter, the herd had rested quietly, but now, it was time to cut loose the slack she had allowed.

Kri waited, blonde mane tugging at her face, blue eyes waiting for the arrival of them. They arrived alone or in pairs, sometimes clusters of families. Piling into the large amphitheater of stone waves the leader had chosen to give her speech. Nodding to some, simply watching others, she waited until a substantial number had gathered to begin speaking. "We have much to discuss, children of the desert."

"Over the winter months, we have been sleepy, but our numbers have grown," the number of bodies nearly doubled over the past few seasons, which was both a joy and a worry to the leader. She could not protect this large a family alone. "Our enemies have no been as restful as we in the wake of the Qian's victory, my kin. We must strengthen ourselves for any future attacks that may arise."

"Leander has suggested traveling in pairs or groups, and I would like for all to see the wisdom in these words. I wish not to hinder any of my herd in their right to travel, but I would have your safety be perserved. Please be cautious while traveling outside the realm of the Throat. Do not give the band of Mauja's followers the opportunity to injure you or your brethren.

"Generals and Soldiers of the Throat, now is the time to take practice in your skills. The invasion of the Edge was successful, but let us not rest on our laurels. We need to train in the ways of battle to protect ourselves as well as to ensure future victory.

"I will be asking that Bazilisk, our new Artisan, and the Apprentices of the herd take to building a wall around the northern border, which is unprotected by the waters of Helovia. This will be a massive task, but its undertaking will increase our safety. Any who wish to participate will speak to me about the plans.

"Xira and the Informants will be tasked with the assignment to gather information about any outcast bands and their movements. I do not want to be surprised by any unlikely groups.

"My daughter and her Medics should take to more lessons in the art of healing before the need for their skills arise. I seek our herd to be able to aid themselves before turning to others.

"Citizens of the Throat, I urge you to study under our higher official in a trade. Become useful to your herd and your kin; give back to them as they would easily give to you. We are all family here, and I would wish for us all to be able to count on one another."

Looking toward the golden stallion with white rims around her eyes, she says, "Lastly, I wish to promote Leander to lead by my side in honor of his loyalty and willingness to aid his herd."
""

[ OOC: I kind of assumed you all would show up just to get this out of the way. xP ]

Bazilisk Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

B A Z I L I S K
I do not desire to hear your words, nor you mine.

I had been sleeping at the tree of blood-leaves. My tree, I liked to think of it as. My lovely, welcoming tree, where my serpentine coils remained tight around its cracking trunk, red sap oozing from its pores, much like the blood that may drip from your skin. I had been up for most of the night, as usual, gliding through the snow, relaxing in the embrace of the white hands and looking at the stars, wondering of my own family at the Deep Abyss. My family. Just as I had been falling asleep in the warmth of the sun on my scales, a call had reverbrated through the very earth itself, it seemed, and with a mighty sigh, I answered it, as was my duty. Coils hit the ground with a dull thud, a thud that sent the tree leaves trembling and the roots in the earth quaking. It was the sound of a monstrously large body hitting the ground, a body of muscle and brute strength.

With a fluidity that cannot be matched by horses, I slithered over the ground, the dry rasp of my scales the only sound to be heard. My tongue flicks constantly, tasting the air for other pegasi flitting about. Although I still call them small bird-horses, I find that the beings found that rather offensive, so I refrained from such words now, even if I call them that in my head. My green eyes blink lazily, adjusting slowly in the brilliant light glistening off the few patches of snow remaining. Soon, soon! The snow will melt and drip, and the warmth of the golden eye in the sun will remain even during the beautiful night.

I arrive before most of the others at the meeting, alone and solitary, as a snake should be and is. I listen without a hiss, without a word, as the small brown leader Kri speaks. As she lectures, I fall prey to my own deadly longing, the longing, the hunger, for horsemeat... No! I awaken at the sound of my name, quickly rubbing my face in the snow to hide the fact I, a snake, had been drooling. I nod at Kri, and add my rumbling voice to the quiet.

"I will work right away on such a project. I expect all of my apprentices to help with the work, so we may finish before any signs of unwelcome company." I wonder who exactly is in my guild, but I do not speak any more to interrupt her words. I'm going to give the little warrior a gift, her and the horse she's promoted to leader. Leander. The stallion who helped me join to the herd. I approve heartily, yet I don't roar it, for I fear the bird-horses would fall over or panick at such a sound.

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre
Aryel heeded her leader's call, trotting purposefully across the frosted sand. The feathering around her hooves and along her jaw had collected a small amount of power snow, matching the condensed ice around her nostrils. She stopped some distance off from the Sultana and the other herd members, her normal extroverted nature fleeing in the face of an unfamiliar group of horses and the imposing figure of Kri. She took her place at the sidelines, close enough to hear her words.

Her ears pricked at the mention of enemies. She had only been in Helovia a short time and was ignorant of the previous fighting. Stomping a hoof, she decided that whoever these enemies were, she would do whatever she could to protect her new home. She rolled her eyes at the suggestion of traveling in groups, though. She could take care of herself. And in the event she couldn't outfight somebody, heck, couldn't she just outrun or outfly them?

She made a note to look into combat or patrol training. Such a job would surely provide an opportunity for her to start pulling her weight.

As the Sultana announced her new consul, Aryel followed her gaze to appraise the male she was talking about. She had yet to meet any herd members apart from the silvery loner Levi.

She waited until the speech was over, then turned to leave. She didn't even see the giant frigging snake until he spoke. "Ah!" snorted Aryel, nervously dancing as the snake moved. "I mean, uh..." she managed, head down in embarrassment as she tried to compose herself. "Sorry." She wasn't sure if anybody had noticed her exclamation, and wasn't sure how she'd pass it off if they had. But it was a giant snake. Who's genius idea had it been to let that in?!
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
The shrill of Aryel made him laugh silently to himself, as she saw the great serphant for the first time. Bazilisk seemed like he was going to be a good part of the herd. He didn't mean any harm.

Kri's speech was inspirational. Really, we needed it in our herd. Like Kri said our herd doubled in size and well we needed it. He stood silently in the back waiting for anything else Kri had to say. He figured something though. Since the herd was getting bigger, he knew they would might need more warriors. And he really thought that being a warrior might help him be a little bit more part of the herd. He felt more like he did nothing and he felt guilty because of it. He knew that he needed to do something. Something to help the herd and he knew that he was going to ask Kri soon because he really wanted that position. He figured maybe Midas might be able to train him.

The cool air glued against his body. He was a bit cold now, even though he was immune to the cold. Looking right at Kri he nodded his head towards her to let her know that he did care and that he wanted to be more involved. He never really cared before, but now that he knew they needed more help he felt that he needed to help, finally.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
It was just another average morning in his frosty desert home. Cera was still asleep, one heavy wing was draped across the child protectively; honeyed orbs opened to greet a morning sun long before its bright rays had found reason to slither across a seemingly bare land. Cherub stirred restlessly, ebony muzzle turned to nuzzle his babe into a state of calm; hot breath traveled across the small coltish face, “Good morning,” he hummed tenderly. Many long moments passed where everything seemed perfect, the father wouldn’t have changed a single thing. Suddenly, their quaint morning was broken by the bellow of his sultana’s summons, her vocals echoing across sandstone and beyond.

A herd meeting was unavoidable and long in coming, body rose slowly to avoid joisting his still half-awake son he said, “Rise little one, our leader calls; it’s time for you to see the herd in its entirety.” fatherly vocals murmured, coxing. Frame turned toward his mistresses call, it was hard to meet everyone on a daily basis; clan gatherings allowed families to meet on leveled ground.

They approached after a few had already gathered, most of which he couldn’t recognize by name. Midas paused to dip skull respectfully at his leader before falling into an open spot between horses. Quietly the golden general leaned down to speak the names of those he knew into Cera’s ear as they came into view. After many moments of idle chatter, their caramel hostess started to speak.

Attention followed professionally, the first few sentences held knowledge he had already been familiarized with. Midas alone had stumbled across many rouge from the outerlands and led them into the security of Dragons throat. Countless kin doubled their family almost double fold. With so many new eyes and ears it was easy to allow flex within ranks, the general would have to rectify this notion on a later date. Kri also cautioned them to travel in groups or pairs for safety, golden gaze fell on Cera; unspoken tone calm but sharp in point. They had to be careful. Plain and simple.

What she mentioned next was pertinent, talk of getting off hunches and training. He nodded solemnly, knowing that his sparing gains would need to be more present.

Other topics included the building of a wall. A wall? Ears perked, Kri wanted them to construct a wall? His mind instantly flexed to the hidden spools of magic within, sand granules pooled around his feet.

All else that was said struck little interest; she mentioned outcast bands and his thoughts turned to a certain lady friend. Then a blessing was bestowed on one of his skilled soldiers, a promotion toward the highest honor obtainable in this clan. Sultan. It seemed that their family had a new father, skull bowed respectfully; but reserve was hidden behind a bottomless gaze. He wouldn’t have picked the golden boy to lead them, but, he also wasn’t one for politics.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Sleep came easily to the babe, wrapped in a cloud of warmth beneath his fathers wing. Cold could no longer come and bit at thin legs and tiny breast when held close against the painted stallions side. It was an activity Cera deeply treasured, the simple act of dozing with him. Midas was often busy and tired upon return. The child never pouted or complained, but he never wished to awaken and bid his father goodbye once again. However the suns rays touched sleeping face and he stirred unhappily, wishing to hide away and drift back into the abyss of rest. It wasn't to be, as Midas calmed his movements and had sleepy emerald eyes fluttering open to greet the day. Yawning and sighing at having to awaken. "Good morning, Daddy." Tucking his head against strong shoulder for a long peaceful stretch of time. Broken only by the ringing, desolate summons of a voice Cera did not know well.

Sleep latched onto his legs like sap, refusing to let him go even as Midas slowly rose beside him. Cera whickered softly in complaint but followed the warmth, the shock of cold making him follow quickly. Stumbling along in his half awake state. Their leader? The babe didn't remember meeting her and couldn't even recall her name. He followed his fathers steps with slow stumbling gait, head low and eyes tired but excited. Midas' voice was coaxing and understanding, leading and urging him on as effectively as bumping him by muzzle would have been.

A few equines had already arrived when the pair approached. Cera watched his father dip his crown to the winged mare and awkwardly, innocently, did the same. Copying Midas to the best of his ability though he didn't understand the message of the movement itself. Sandy ears flickered up to catch soft words of names, matching them to previously unknown faces. Soft utterances stopped as the mare began to speak. Even as he slowly awakened Cera had to fight to pay attention, wanting to tune in like Midas. He knew, in the way a child knows its cousins instinctively, that the herd had grown. Not because he knew them personally but because the land was louder. Conversations took place more frequently. Bodies dotted the horizon in greater numbers.

Despair came over his soft face when told they should only travel in pairs. Cera had few friends, and when Midas left for his duties Cera often went exploring to the Threshold. That was how he'd met Wanyecha, a friend he deeply treasured. Looking up to see the stern and pointed look of his fathers visage. Eyes sad but nodding slowly and silently, returning to their leader. However even his perseverance of silence was broken in a tiny almost soundless noise of protest. He doubted anyone excluding Midas could have caught it. She wished to increase training and patrol? Cera already saw so little of his father! It hurt deep inside to know Midas would be around even less, but he didn't dare raise his voice or attract attention. Ears dropped pitifully and wings sagged.

This didn't last long. Slowly perking up as she mentioned Bazilisk. An Artisan? Cera had sworn they didn't have one! He was an apprentice with no mentor after all. The colt was thrilled by the idea of building. Building! A wall! Crafting! Little hooves couldn't contain his excitement as he danced on the spot, trying to keep quiet. Said Artisan spoke up, a giant snake that Cera instantly admired. If he could work craft then Cera would do anything to learn from him. Turning pleadingly to Midas, excitedly tugging on his mane with his lips. "Daddy! Daddy! I want to build! I want to help!" Whispering urgently but quietly, eyes alive with passion at the mere thought. And he could also contribute to the herd, like Midas! Cera was simply overflowing with excited energy.

A few other words followed that Cera didn't understand as well. Quickly bowing his head when Midas did, confused by the passively disapproving look on his face. Waiting eagerly for the meeting to end so that he could rush to Bazilisk and beg to be taught the ways of building and constructing. And perhaps sleep a bit more...
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan

Lynx
Hope and pray that you never need me, but rest assured I will not let you down.

An echoing summons reaches the black-rimmed ears of a dozing buckskin. His head is raised, listening to the call and pondering his response. Deciding that only something important could warrant such a cry, he ambles forward for a short distance, giving his joints time to adjust to movement after a period of inactivity, before shifting into a ground-eating lope. Minutes later, a crowd comes into view, the Throat herd.

Uncomfortable in large groups, the unicorn with a disfigured face remains further away than most, just close enough to clearly hear the speech being given. Kri, he assumes, though he had yet to lay eyes on the Sultana. She had not been present when the golden Leander had accepted him into the ranks of the herd, and since then he had travelled outside the Throat’s borders, mostly searching the Threshold. From her talk of walls and travelling in groups, he is not certain that he and the pegasus mare will get along, for Lynx has always enjoyed his freedom, and preferred to travel in solitude.

Losing interest, he instead scans the gathering for familiar faces. Cera is the only one he finds, the hyper colt tugging at the mane of a painted stallion. His father, perhaps? Attention shifts to the giant black snake in their midst, the one addressed as Bazilisk. He is a reminder of the odd serpent who had offered to remove the curse of a cruelly twisted horn, back in an old land. Eyes remain focused on the fascinating beast, uncertain as to whether or not keeping such a creature nearby is a wise decision. Then again, perhaps the snake had simply decided to make his home here, and none of the horses were powerful enough to argue. Thoughts wander as the meeting wears on, and though he absorbs every part of the speech, he is not actively listening anymore.

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

Frostfall had seemed to clamor briskly on since the golden stallion had last seen Kri. Their recent meeting had left him with an even greater appreciation of her, despite the strong mare's sharp personality. She was a fine leader, more selfless than others in positions of power it seemed. The matriarch's familiar voice easily found its way to his ears, and he wasted no time in finding her. It was not everyday that the resolute made such direct announcements, and so it was with fervor that he loped towards the gathering, sand dancing around his russet limbs. There were many others from the herd already assembling, most unfamiliar but for the great scaled form of the Basilisk. It was good to see the new artisan with the rest of the group; learning and building his loyalty, with any luck. It was strange to see so many foreign faces, yet they were all ones he'd fight to protect. The palomino soon finished looking through the the small crowd and fell to a halt near the flaxen locked leader, dipping his head and giving her a smile. The sultana could likely use all the friendly looks she could get at times like these.

The assembly was certainly needed, with Mauja's forces brooding in the North. Still, he felt a hint of pride as Kri mentioned his suggestion. Concerned bronze pools glanced out among the herd once again, hoping the advice would be well taken. Certainly, many like himself would likely still travel alone, but if the young or less experienced fighters would at least take heed, it was worth mentioning. The speech went on, and the announcement of a wall set another smile across his features. The idea was excellent; and he gazed at the Basilisk with approval. The great serpent would be able to be of great use, and he had high expectations, as well as some hesitant worry, for the creature. The most the herd could do was to accept and treat Bazilisk as part of their herd and family, and deal with him if his carnivorous nature ever became a danger.

Amidst all of Kri's expected counsel, the sooty charger was not at all prepared for her closing words. Him, a leader? Sultan of the Throat? For a few long seconds, he only looked at Kri in quiet shock. A promotion itself would not have surprised him, though there were already two generals and he felt no need to take their titles from them. But to be given the responsibility of the highest rank? The desert seemed to whirl. Finally, he pooled his reserve together and fell into a bow, directed both at Kri and the entirety of the Throat. Pale strands fell across his face as he rose, expression a mix of humility and determination. "I am honored to be given the chance to lead beside you, Kri." Ivory inked eyes moved from the umber face of the sultana to the rest of his herd-mates as he continued. "I promise to serve and protect the Throat with my life." The promise was one he'd made to himself when he entered the position of soldier here, and it still rang true on the chilled air. And just like that, he was no more a soldier or the rogue of his youth.

Basya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Basya looked up at her leader. She listened to every word that rolled from Kri's mouth. Basya smiled politely at Leander when he was promoted. Words rolled from her tongue at the just-promoted pegasus."Congratulations, Leander." She turned her attention back on Kri. The whole herd had gathered, and Basya squeezed her wings closer to her body to keep warm. She flicked her tail around before turning her head to see a disfigured unicorn stallion. His horn was shaped odd, and was jabbing into his cheek. Basya winced when she thought about the pain it must cause.

She shook her head before returning her focus to Kri.

OOC:Sorry. no muse. =/
WC:107

Adoxa Posts: N/A
Unregistered

I gallop into the clearing as I hear the important call from my leader, Kri. I am ready to listen, even if it means hearing bad news or responsibility that I have never had before. The Sultana speaks of our growing numbers and I puff out my charcoal chest slightly with pride, as my twin brother and I are new additions to the Dragon’s Throat herd. I craned my neck round for my chestnut brother, Alisier, and my mothers, Tares and Aure. My chartreuse eyes wander around the clearing, taking in faces I’ve never seen before. A golden stallion stands a little way away with a colt tugging excitedly at his mane. I smile at the family, wishing for my own to hurry up and get to the meeting. The golden haired leader stands tall and proud, addressing the whole herd. I incline my head to her, and continue curiously checking out my surroundings.

As I scan the clearing, my eyes discover a giant snake. Self-consciously, my knees begin quivering and I discreetly take a few steps back. I focus instead on Kri, listening to her talk about traveling in pairs, and thinking that I would rather be with my brother or my moms than by myself, like I am now. Kri mentions that the medics need training, and I raise my head, looking proud at my position, ready for the Shaman to teach me how I can heal. I was bigger; I was prepared, excited to help my herd mates when they needed me too. I was eager to learn with my brother, ready to protect my herd, and though I knew I was still young, I felt older. Much, much older.
stock