the Rift

Tall Trees, Long Shadows (Open)

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre
Winter's icy grip had snaked into nearly every corner of Helovia, but the steadfast pines and oaks of the Deep Forest still provided adequate shelter to one blue-grey mare. Aryel walked quietly along a game trail, the silence that often came with snow seemingly robbing her of her own voice. Silence was a funny thing. Peaceful, and yet unsettling in a way.

Since becoming a Throat member, Aryel still frequently left the desert land to roam over Helovia, shunning her leader's suggestion they travel in groups. She had taken care of herself while traveling from her little valley to the Helovian peninsula. She didn't need backup.

Although the slash marks in the trees were starting to make her think it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Aryel stopped as she came upon a circular pool of water presided over by an imposing fir tree. Curiously, she lowered her head to examine the water. The stony bottom was interspersed with gleaming red, almost translucent pebbles. Garnets? she wondered. Rubies? Almost hesitatingly, she lifted a hoof to paw at one stone on the bank, wondering if they were magic.

Nope. Just a regular stone.

Whisking her tail, Aryel touched her lips to the water's surface and drank, the icy water causing her to blink in surprise. Once she had drunk her fill, she began snuffling around for any decent forage that may have escaped the snow, wondering if any horses lived around here.
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

A great net of branches wound a thick canopy overtop the mossy forest floor, sheltering the damp earth from the soft kiss of the sunlight. The pleasant afternoon heat travelled lazily upon a slow breeze, thick leaves rustling in a resonant sigh that echoed throughout the trees. Murdock shouldered along through the brush, the gnarled branches snatching at his ebony mane and catching his snow white feathers as he passed. His heart pounded in his chest as he hurried along through the forest, cool shadows seemed to loom out towards him as he passed by ancient trees. It was a mistake, a complete and utter mistake to enter such a dense forest, the branches knit firmly together to form a maze through which he wound. Trapped by the firm arms of trees overhead, he was grounded.

The gentle murmur of water sounded somewhere ahead, the soft sound barely reaching his perked ears. Where he had come from, there were few sources of water that had not been frozen over, but the climate was warm enough here to prevent the water from freezing. Still, the air had the distinct chill of Frostfall upon it, though the broken rays of sunlight had still managed to make the temperature somewhat comfortable. Changing his course, he made his way toward the sound of the water, pulling his wings against his sides as he hurried past the blackened, scarred trunks of the trees. He could have sworn they were watching him as he wound about the brush and feathery ferns.

A break in the trees marked the beginning of a small clearing ahead, and eagerly he pushed his way past the final snow-laden boughs towards the pool. As he approached the edge of the pool, the slender figure of a fellow pegasus caught his eye. Halting in his tracks, he turned his head towards her, a startled look in his green eyes. Finally, a new face! He watched her forage for a moment, her back turned to him, before he approached her quietly. "Good afternoon, miss" he purred softly, leaning his neck around to get a look at her face. Her bodice was a pale blue-grey that reminded him of the sky at dusk. Her large wings were folded gracefully at her sides, and she looked to be in good health.

"I did not intend to startle you" he laughed softly, stepping around her back to stand before her. He used his most gentlemanly tone, dipping his head in an eloquent bow as he came to face her. Aside, he noticed the oddly red stones that sat at the bottom of the pool, and he stared at them for a moment, a quizzical look upon his face. Redirecting his gaze back to her, he folded his wings into his sides against the cold, exhaling a foggy breath. "My name is Murdock" he supplied, lowering his head down to her level. As he dropped his crown, he couldn't help but notice the violet gem she wore around her neck, and he admired it pensively.

"speak"

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
The newcomer's hoofsteps were so soft that Aryel did not notice him until he spoke. She jumped slightly as he did so, wings momentarily half-unfurling, then resettling again as the male apologized for startling. "It's all right." she said, tossing her head once to flick her forelock out of her eyes. "This place just makes you jumpy." Privately, she scolded herself for starting at every little noise. She wasn't some defenseless foal anymore, she didn't need to run and hide from everything, least of all other horses.

She turned her head to follow him as he moved to stand in front of her. His coat was a solid, glossy black, mismatched wings an alabaster white with almost-luminescent feather tips. He was a couple hands higher, which had ceased to become a surprise to the compact 14hh mare.

She nodded her head in return as the male lowered his head to put their eyes on the same level, a gesture Aryel found polite. So his name was Murdock? She memorized it, finding the name easy to tie to the black horse. "Aryel." she said, giving her own name. She noticed his glance towards her necklace, but thought nothing of it. "Do you live around here?"

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock drew back a step as the young mare started, giving her some space to adjust to his presence. He had to admit, it was rather rude to approach someone from behind and scare the living daylights out of them. However, thought before action was not a statement he held to. He nodded in response to her words, a sympathetic smile forming at the edges of his lips. “Yes. It is quite a dark place…Dangerous too, I imagine…” he trailed off as he looked around, his gaze slowly returning to her face as he lowered his head once more. “Tell me, what are you doing out here alone? Surely it’s not safe”. He had noted the dark gashes on the pale trunks of the trees, and he wondered what could have caused such scars.

He nodded once more as she supplied her name, looking her petite frame up and down. Her dusky wings were folded at her sides, and she was quite short. He couldn’t help but feel huge standing before her. Meeting her gaze, he shook his head in response to her question. “No, I don’t really live anywhere yet” he laughed, his breath fogging before his face. “I’m relatively new here. Just came over from…uh, the north” he smiled nervously. He knew he was safe from his past, yet he couldn’t help but dread the shadows of fear that haunted him. It was unlikely anyone would come looking for him here.

“And you live here, do you? Or just adventuring like me?” he asked, changing the subject off of himself and back onto her. In general, he found himself a rather boring topic to discuss. After all, he had to live with himself, didn’t he? He glanced around idly, taking note once more of the curiously red stones at the base of the pool. Helovia certainly had many treasures, and he was sure he had not yet discovered half of them. Maybe Aryel could tell him more. She seemed to have a bit of experience in this land.

"speak"

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
Dark? Yes. Dangerous? Aryel scrutinized Murdock's face for a moment, wondering if his words veiled a threat. This dark forest seemed like th place where dangerous horses would roam.

If this was in a foal's story, that is. Shadows didn't always conceal enemies, danger could be found anywhere if one wasn't careful.

"I can take care of myself." she said, pawing the ground once, the faintest of hard edges creeping into her voice. "I've been on my own before and I know how to protect myself in a fight." She snorted. "As for what I'm doing? Just exploring. I'm new here, so I thought it best to familiarize myself with the terrain."

Forcing herself to calm down and stop acting so hostile, she listened as Murdock explained his own reason for being here. So, he was a nomad. She had been worried about missing the ability to roam free once she joined a herd, but Kri was pretty lenient on allowing her herd members to roam. She figured as long as she stayed off any other herd lands she would be fine. The majority of Helovia seemed to be neutral ground, with the herd homelands at the edges. This was clever on part of the herds, as it allowed large buffer zones, which no doubt decreased conflict. "North, huh?" she asked, whisking her tail. "I'm from southeast of her. At least, I think..." she trailed off, a sheepish expression coming over her. "I sort of lost track while I was leaving home. We had a pretty small home range, and I was just so excited to finally be out in the wide world that I just picked a direction and went."

She shook her head in response to his next question. "No, I live in the Dragon's Throat. It's pretty arid, but there's enough scrub and grass to graze on near the oasis, and any wingless invaders would have a hard time crossing the desert. Not that I've ever had to deal with invaders." Aryel had heard of the previous war against the World's Edge, but she didn't know the specifics. She looked around at the trees standing silent sentinel. "I don't know if I'd want to live here, to be honest. It's sorta creepy. Not that I scare easily." she added hurriedly.

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock watched Aryel curiously, noting how her expression changed, and suddenly she was scrutinizing him suspiciously. This, he found almost entertaining. He would dare hurt such a pretty creature as her. However, she had every right to be concerned when an unfamiliar stallion approached her. Setting back on his haunches slightly, he pulled his head out of her space, giving her room to clear her thoughts. As she spoke, he noticed the harsh tone that tainted her sweet voice, and he smiled at her defiance. “Yes, of course you can” he laughed, nodding his head in response to her words.

His expression softened as she briefly explained where she had come from, seeming to grow confused and sheepish. “It is easy to get lost while flying” he agreed, nodding his head. "“However, I was trained with a highly advanced, militaristic fleet…and so navigation has never been an issue for me” he smiled, recalling his home and the family he had to leave behind. If he had a choice, he would return to them in a heartbeat, to claim the poisoned throne that was now occupied by his traitorous uncle. Maybe, in time, he would find such an opportunity.

He listened with growing interest as she explained the herd she came from, smiling as her fiery personality showed through her words. “A desert? I’ve never been much for warm places. Where I came from, we lived up in the mountains where it was always cold. Though, I’m sure the desert has its advantages” he speculated, glancing around at the darkness of the forest. He nodded in agreement with her words, a slight shiver running down his spine as the eerie howling of the wind moaned through the trees. “You don’t scare easily? Oh, but I do…” he teased laughingly, shivering in mock fright as the trees creaked against the wind.

Briefly, his gaze returned for the third time to the red stones on the pool’s floor. He frowned slightly, and stepped around her. Lowering his head, he studied the smooth stones through the rippling surface of the water. “Any idea why these stones are red?” he asked, lifting his head and turning about to look at her again. “It’s such an odd colour for rocks…almost like they’ve been stained by blood” he shivered, for real this time, pulling his wings around his body for comfort.

"Speak"

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel
I'm through accepting limits / 'cause someone says they're so.

Aryel huffed but relaxed her posture as Murdock backed off a step, his voice placating. "You're right about getting lost," she said. "Winds can blow you off course so slowly and subtly you don't realize until you're looking for the place you wanted to land. Of course, all it takes is another flight up to reset your course." His mentioning of his former training interested her. "You did, huh? I've never met a military herd. Not sure if I care to, either."

She could imagine this horse being a mountain dweller. "Well, I didn't live in a desert before. My home valley was much more temperate, we got a little of every kind of weather." Aryel jumped once as the wind increased in pitch, moaning through the trees, then shuddered. "I'll admit that was a bit unsettling. The place looks like it would give you nightmares if you stayed here too long." She turned her attention to the red stones as Murdock mentioned them. "I was wondering about them too." she said, turning and taking a few steps towards the pool. "I think they're garnets, but I can't be sure." She looked at Murdock, giving a mischievous grin. "There's some old legend about how the stones are indeed colored by blood. Some ancient battle supposedly happened here. Maybe that's what the slashes on the trees come from. I'd hazard a guess many of these trees are much older than we are." This forest was frightening, true, but something about the creeping paranoia it induced got her blood rushing. Now, with her imagination accelerated by old stories and whispering winds, she could almost see the spectral forms of horses long dead flickering through the trees.

"blah blah blah."

Some things I cannot change / but until I try I'll never know.

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock nodded slowly, his mind divided between Aryel's words and the curiously coloured stones that littered the base of the pool. He only half heard what she said, but he turned his head again to meet her gaze. "Yes, where I came from many of the groups were militant. My father led a Fleet; one of the most powerful on the island, in fact. The training was great, but with such competitive groups in such a small area, conflicts certainly can arise". He tried to remember his early days of training, recalling it with fondness. He had enjoyed being a part of such a militant group, and the aerial combat had been his favourite aspect of it.

As Aryel mentioned her early life, Murdock grew curious as to what situations she had grown up in. He had been rather isolated on his little island, and had only heard stories of other races and other territories. He looked forward to exploring Helovia, yet he couldn't help but shake the feeling of nostalgia that clung to his heart. After all, his last months on Evendim he had spent as a prisoner to an enemy fleet, and he wasn't about to return to such a fate.

He shifted uncomfortably as the wind stirred his feathers, laughing quietly as she jumped. Normally, Murdock would have come across as a total nut case, though there was something sobering about the solemnity of the ancient forest. Something calmed his nerves, and he didn't feel like he had to put up a wall between himself and Aryel. She seemed nice after all, and surely he could trust her.

He returned her mischievous grin as she turned to him, following her gaze back towards the smooth stones beneath the gently rippling water. He listened intently to her tale, glancing about at the gashes on the rough trunks of the trees and picturing what may have gone on here in the forest. He noticed her begin to grow nervous, seeming to be put on edge by the eerie stillness of the forest.

Murdock allowed the stillness to carry on for a few more moments, glancing around in the silence that ensued. His usual craziness had been subdued by the sordid air about the forest; however it had not completely quenched the random impulses that overcame him at times. He tried not to make a sound as he stepped back from the edge of the pool, backing up so his shoulder was level with Aryel’s chest.

He paused for a moment, exhaling in a silent hiss that fogged in the air before him. He almost reconsidered his proposed plan of action, but the opportunity was simply too good to waste. How could he not take advantage of the edginess that had been instilled in this mare by the forest and the frightening tale? “What’s that?” he whispered, looking into the forest, pretending to see something. He squinted for a moment, letting the tension build in the blue mare at his side.

(Get ready for the craziness :D)

"Speak"

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

Aryel had been somewhat surprised to hear that this horse came from a region where combat was so frequent. He seemed more polite and gentlemanly than warmongering and fierce. Then again, appearances could be deceiving, and just because he was friendly now didn't mean he couldn't kick someone's tail later on. The herd guards in Redrock had been far more distant, on constant patrols and drills. As she grew up, Aryel had privately begun to think their aloof ways were simply a method of assuring their importance and dealing with the fact that there was rarely anything to guard the herd against.

As they examined the stones hidden under the still water, Aryel barely registered his small glances around and his backing up. His next question caught her by surprise, though, causing her head to dart upwards. "What was what?" she asked, immediately tensing. Her ears swiveled back and forth, nostrils flaring to draw in any signs of approaching creatures.

A twig snapped, causing her to turn suddenly, now thoroughly alert. Unbeknownst to her, that twig snap was simply a bird hopping around in the underbrush out of sight, but it had put her on edge. The trees seemed dark and looming now, and the silence was heavier than ever. She followed Murdock's gaze, trying to see what he was seeing. "What is it?"

"blah blah blah."

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock smiled inwardly as Aryel followed his gaze, and he could feel her tension building in the silence that followed. He couldn’t help but feel somewhat guilty about what he was about to do, but so far he had been so boring. He had hardly made anything of an impression, and he couldn’t walk away having her believe he was normal, could he? He watched her out of the corner of his eye, retaining his poised position and continuing to hold his tongue. He hoped she could take a joke, and he wouldn’t end up losing all his front teeth as the price for a little fun.

He jumped slightly as a twig snapped in the stillness of the forest, and for a moment he almost lost his focus. Maybe there really was something out there, and it would turn out that what began as a joke would end as something much less entertaining. He felt her turn towards the sound, but he remained as if frozen to the spot, deathly still as held his gaze on an imaginary point. He turned his head slightly at her question, taking a few cautious steps forward, as quietly as he could manage. He was putting way too much effort into this, but how else was he supposed to get his kicks?

Gradually, he approached the edge of the forest, turning his head about as if trying to discern some shape that hid among the black trunks of the trees. “I don’t know…” he responded over his shoulder, each word barely a whisper as he came to a halt at the edge of the clearing. His face turned away from her, he smiled broadly to himself, tensing his muscles with anticipation, and perhaps a hint of nervousness. Who could say how she would react to his little trick?

“Well…” he hissed slowly, gesturing with his wing for her to step up beside him. “I think it looks like a-“ his voice remained quiet, hardly disturbing the cool air of the forest. Cutting off mid-sentence, he suddenly jumped back towards her, launching himself away from the forest as he cried out “-REALLY ANGRY SPIRIT!” He tore away from her, crossing the clearing in few steps before dancing to a halt at the other edge. He laughed childishly as he turned to face her, his muscles quivering slightly from all the tension he had built up in himself. Well, now he had really made an impression.

"Speak"

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
"We-ll, it's not MY fault I'm a spirit stuck on earth unable to find a way home." A sarcastic, annoyed voice responded. Out of the darkness materialized a vague black beast. It seemed to take on the form of a bird, with wondrously long tail feathers glittering with a blue light. Then, just whn you could properly make out its shape, its shape seemed to transform into a fox, then a wolf, ten a bear, and so on until you simply give up. It never does actually become an equine. "I say, I think when I was alive the battle was in progress. Killed off by a chum jealous of my fair lady wife." The spirit said cheerfully, but don't take it's words to heart, for it's memories are so mangled the creature itself does not know the truth or the lies he speaks. "I can tell you the story, if you want. But you have to give me a story each in return. An eye for an eye!" The birdie chuckles, ruffling smoky feathers.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

Aryel watched silently as Murdock approached the edge of the clearing, still straining to see in the gloom. She came when he gestured, her own wings instinctively half-open in nervousness, ready to fly if need arose, although getting off the ground in a heavily-forested area would be easier said than done.

At this point, most of Aryel's mind had been taken over by instinct. She may have been a near-sentient creature that could outrun or outfly more predators, but at the basic level she still had a prey-creature's mentality. When Murdock jumped backwards and ran, shouting, Aryel followed, whinnying in fear without thinking to check behind her. If there was an angry spirit, she didn't want to be in it's way.

She screeched to a stop next to Murdock, sides heaving, eyes darting around to meet any potential threats. It was only when Murdock's laughter cut through her fright that she realized she had just been the victim of a beautifully-executed practical joke. She looked at the black stallion, a surprised expression on her face, and then began to laugh, starting out shaky with relief and then becoming stronger. "You jerk!" she whinnied, jabbing at him with one wing. "You big jerk!" She had to admit, though, it had been well-played. "Of course there are no such things as spirits." she huffed, trying unsuccessfully to look unaffected.

Had she been drinking something when the ghostly form materialized, she would've most likely done a camera-worthy spit-take. A talking bird was not so hard to believe when you were a flying horse, but a shapeshifting ghost bird? That was too much. "Huh. There really was a spirit." Aryel said weakly, staring at the apparition.

She wasn't sure if she should believe it or not. Hearing an ancient battle story straight from the warrior's mouth wasn't an opportunity she cared to miss, but ghost bird-horse-whatever-things didn't walk up to you every day. "Um..." she turned to Murdock. "What do you think?" she asked quietly.

(Gaz, are you playing that NPC or is that someone else?)

"blah blah blah."

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock bent over to catch his breath, still laughing at poor Aryel as she recovered from her fright. It was a cruel joke, but her response had been just as he had hoped. He almost felt bad as he watched her, eyes wide with fright as she joined him on the other side of the clearing. He was relieved to find she could laugh with him, though, and he had to admit the names she called him were well deserved. However, it had certainly brightened up his afternoon, and now he would not leave her company unsatisfied.

“Sorry, sweetheart, but the temptation was far too much for me to resist” he sighed, straightening up to meet her gaze. His attention was quickly drawn elsewhere, however, as a misty shape materialized at the edge of the forest. A distant voice began to speak to them in irritated tones as the wispy form transformed into a bird, then a fox, and then so many other animals that Murdock just could not keep track. His heart pounded in his ears as he squinted at the ‘spirit’, trying to focus on the optical illusion that just kept on changing.

He looked back at Aryel, hardly hearing the words the spirit spoke for the shock that gripped his mind. Well, now he was really entertained! His own joke ended up coming together a little differently than he had expected, though he had to admit he wasn’t the least disappointed, if not a little shaken. He considered the spirit’s proposal momentarily, frowning at the smoky bird before them. “Well, why not?” he muttered to Aryel, his voice low so only she could hear him.

Stepping forwards, Murdock cautiously approached the spirit. He was a warrior who died in battle, and that seemed a valiant end indeed, though what side was he on? No matter what he said, they would always have to think twice on this apparition’s words. It could be near impossible to discern a lie from the truth. “Alright. If it’s stories you want, then we’ll give you stories” he replied confidently, coming to a square halt before the bird, his mind spinning with all its transformations. Glancing over his shoulder at Aryel, he stepped aside to let her go first while he pondered which tale to tell.

(Nope, not me)

"Speak"

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The soul in the form of the bird cackled at their expressions, eyes sparkling deviously. No, it was not an evil or dark soul, but life seemed so different... when dead. "Here's my story, lovebugs." It grinned, preening its' ethereal vaporous wings.

"Once, on this piece of ground, three herds fought for domination. They were bitter herds, filled with lust for each other, pitted together by the gods. Once, everyone was gifted with magic according to the land they were in. The sons of the earth followed Father Earth's rule- the equines. Daughters of the night followed the Night Goddess' whispers. And lastly, from the heart of red Helovia, came the Sun God's hunters, stallions and mares of hot temper. I myself was one of them. Which, I cannot remember. As it was, the Fire God had fought with his Moon God, and so the Earth God had sent his peacekeepers in to haul the herds apart. Soon, everyone was caught up in the bloodshed, when the heavens rumbled ominously overhead as the gods fought among themselves. When the few that lived the slaughter fled to respective corners of Helovia, the blood of the many souls poured into the pit. Sorry for his siblings' actions, the Earth God shifted it to red jewels, to ever remind horses of the dangers of blood and what will come of death. The Moon God and Sun God watched on, silent. No god would admit they felt pity for mortals they had killed themselves! The souls turned out of their bodies appeared, unable to rest for the gods' cruelness and disbelief of the blasphemy they had caused. And so, bit by bit, hose by horse, one by one, they evaporated, until only I was left. Left alone to tell stories and laugh about strange things." The bird giggled, tossing a proud head up.

Now the pegasi needed to tell their story.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

Aryel listened, enraptured, to the bird's tale. So it was true. There was a battle here, and between three armies, no less. She blinked. There were three herds to this day. Surely history wouldn't repeat itself on such a disastrous scale? Suddenly, combat didn't seem so glorious. It only served to rip apart lives.

But what angered her was the god's dismissiveness of the whole matter. Dozens, maybe hundreds of horses had died in the war, and only the Earth God thought to honor them in any way?! "Arrogant immortal bastards." she muttered, laying her ears back. It sickened her. But she listened until the story was done.

So there it was, the story of a war fought for nothing, were each side only lost lives and gained grief. Aryel looked at the ghost with new respect, and sympathy as well. "Rest assured we'll remember your story for as long as we live, and pass it on." she said. Realizing it was now time for her to deliver a tale, she shifted, unsure what to say.

Suddenly, recalling an old story the foals of Redrock had been told, she spoke.

"I doubt this story is as true as yours, but it is similar. One big herd lived in a bountiful land, where they never went hungry and predators were rare. The herd leader was a bay equine, and his brother, second in line, was a solid white pegasus. The younger brother coveted the crown, and began spreading discontent among the herd. Many of the horses were light-colored, palominos and whites and chestnuts, while the others were dark, blacks and bays and greys. The white brother began creating rumours that the gods had spoken to him and told him that light-colored horses, especially pegasi and unicorns, were superior. This was foolish, of course. All horses, whether they have wings or horns or hooves, are equal. The herd became divided, and fell to arguing, then to scattered fighting. The final bloodspill occurred one afternoon, when an argument between a dark horse and a light one turned to blows. More joined in, and then more, until the whole herd was one big battle. The two brothers fought as well, exchanging vicious blows. The combat continued until sunset, when every horse in the herd lay dead, except for the white brother. He had killed his older brother and stood as the victorious king, but he was king of a dead herd and his own lifeblood was gushing out of a mortal wound. Collapsed on the ground, his vision went dark as the first carrion birds began to circle. Supposedly, the field they warred on is still strewn with bones, and you can hear the wails of the dead on the wind."

Aryel shivered, then paused, recalling what the elders would say afterward. "And so horses must never fight for foolish reasons. Pelt color and species matters not, and never will." She looked at the others, hoping that her story hadn't seemed too childish.

"blah blah blah."

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock listened in silence as the spirit told its tale of battle and bloodshed. He couldn’t help but feel a small fire of anger burning in his chest at the ignorance of the Gods. He thought about the three herds that currently ruled the various regions of Helovia, and he too wondered if such a war could occur again. He had not been long on this new land, though he had learned enough. He knew about the racist groups that roamed the northern territories, and he couldn’t help but be disgusted by their narrow-minded views. He had been raised among Pegasi, and though they were the only race present on his homeland, he felt nothing but curiosity towards Equines and Unicorns.

Murdock felt ashamed to feel any sort of contempt towards the Gods, and though he told himself this war occurred many years ago he couldn’t help but feel that maybe they hadn’t changed. He nodded in agreement with Aryel’s oath to the spirit, committing the tale to memory for later use. Perhaps he would be able to pass on the story to others; telling stories, real or completely made up, was something he did enjoy. He listened intently to the blue mare’s tale as she began, though he couldn’t help but keep his gaze fixed on the spirit. What other tales did he have saved up in his head that they would never hear? He must have a wealth of information that would be lost forever to the mists of the forest.

Aryel’s tale was as shocking as the one the spirit had relayed, and Murdock shook his head in disgust. Racism was something he would never understand. He had to admit he felt somewhat superior to the other races who were bound to the earth, though he did not feel the need to spill their blood upon the ground. A thoughtful frown dwelled upon his face as the mare fell silent, and he pondered which tale to tell. He had heard many tales from his mother when he was young, although he had lived to endure far more exciting events himself.

Stepping forwards, Murdock prepared to present his tale. “My story is not a tale of war, but a legend that was told among the members of my fleet. My homeland was ruled by the Pegasi, and no other races were present on our island. Every horse there has markings that glow in the dark and only show up at night. You see, I have these too but of course you can’t see them since it’s light out. Many years ago, the first Pegasi that lived on the island had no markings such as these, and their coats were pure black. Of course, night-flying could be a bit of an issue for them as they couldn’t see each other on cloudy or moonless nights.”

“For a few years, these Pegasi had experienced a number of unfortunate collisions, and it left them feeling that flying at night was no longer safe. One day, the king of the most powerful fleet called out to the Goddess of the Moon, and requested her presence. She appeared to him, and he presented a request for her help for this...predicament. The Goddess, ever so kind and fair, willingly granted this request. She painted beautiful markings on every horse that could only be seen at night, and the markings would light up with beautiful colours so they could see each other. Ever since that day, there have been no more head-on collisions, or collisions of any sort, and we are free to fly at night”.

Murdock smiled as he finished his tale, glancing first at Aryel before his gaze came to rest upon the spirit. “I could show you my markings, of course...but we’d be here a while” he laughed. The sun was still high in the heavens, and it would be several hours before the shroud of night fell upon the forest. He could hardly imagine how other Pegasi made out without such ‘warning lights’, although he had to admit they were a bit of a disadvantage when one was trying to be sneaky in the dark.

"Speak"