the Rift

cave in the .c l i f f s.

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
[Image: winter_snow_by_ladyfey-d5g626q.png]

Tor was excited to see that no longer did her mouth breathe out clouds of gray smoke. It was nearing spring, the thaw, the warmth of summer's kiss coming swift. Snow was dripping, glistening, the ice on the cliffs beginning to glisten, drops of dew falling from their pointed teeth. Ice! Melting ice! It was saying the spring was nearing, the winter dying. Wonderful spring! Tor loved the winter, she did. But it had been a hard one, a long one, a bitter one that seemed to live forever, gripping the land in frosted hands and snowy teeth, exhaling cold air over the once green land. Sod was frozen solid underneath golden hooves, but here, here, the sand was softening to fine sunny copper, the waves were turning from choppy iron veined with silver to lovely faded pearl blue, glistening to bright exotic green towards the horizon.

Tor quickened from a trot to canter, enjoying the warmth returning to her feet. Already her thick pelt was thinning to a glossier coat, although her feathers remained as heavy and long as ever, whispering around her big-jointed legs. Soon she was nearly galloping down the beach, knees high and head proud, eyes bright with the pleasure of simply running. Yes, there was nothing that could beat the joy of forgetting worries and leaving behind nerves.

It was only after a long time of running did the painted lady slow to a trot, puffing. She was skinny, even despite her eating herbs to help her breathe easier and stay stronger, but she was lucky enough to have enough food to last her. With a quiet snort, Tor steadied herself, allowing the air back into her lungs as she sidled closer to the edge of the cliff overlooking the sea. The rough rock grazed her coat as she walked, allowing herself a curious glance upwards. Above her was the World's Edge, home to the Qian and Mirage's followers. Was it wrong that Tor wondered if the Qian were right to take the Edge? Maybe the ex-Edge should've been able to keep it. It didn't seem fair somehow. There you go again, Tor, thinking of fair and not fair. Leave it alone! It's not really your buisness. Maybe not, but more and more Tor was getting caught up in a web spun of her own selflessness. Allegiances to the Qian, to the ex-Edge, to the Gray, to Cassiopeia and Lace and Ktulu and Ophelia... what would happen when she was spinning too many threads?

It wasn't until the water tickled her feet did she notice she had stopped in front of a dark gaping hole in the Cliff. Chills ran through her body, and she took a few steps back, eyes trying to gauge the deepness of the hole. It was a rocky mouth, icicles still dripping at it's head, probably licked out by the battering force of high tide. Don't lose yourself in there and get drowned. The draft told herself, before curiosity overcame her and she entered the damp hole into the cliff. It was cold, chillingly cold, and silent except for the plop of falling water. When her coat brushed the side of the tunnel, slime came off on her coat. Deeper and deeper she traveled, her big body hardly fitting through the throat of the beast at points, until she finally came to a dead end. But it was a glittering, shining, glowing dead end. Jewels. Everywhere. Shimmering green- jade, beryl, apple, grass-green, forest-green, shadow-green, moss, peacock, olive, viridian. Blue- azure, beryl, blue-gray, blue-green, cerulean, cobalt, indigo, navy, royal, sapphire, teal, turquoise, ultramarine. Oh the purples and reds! Crimson, scarlet, vivid bloody red. It was beautiful, so incredibly beautiful. Hundreds of precious stones gilding the stony walls, glistening softly, sparkling deep within.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Vermillion Posts: 42
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 14.3 :: 7
Guess

Tor was being followed.

Her pursuer was both lighter and smaller, and made virtually no sound as he diligently tracked the older mare. The unicorn blood that flowed through his hybrid veins also aided in his ability to follow her un-noticed. At least, he didn't think that she had noticed. If she had, she gave no indication. Had he been older and wiser, his mind might have cautioned him that this could all be a trick. After all, the mare had gone barrelling down the beach into a secluded cave, seemingly all alone. Seemingly. But Vermillion wasn't older, or wiser - and this was the first time he had ever attempted to follow someone before. If someone were watching this scene unfold, and could read Vermillion's mind, they might suggest that a simple "Hello" might do him better, than stalking but...Vermillion didn't have anyone.

He was fairly sure that this was the mare he was looking for. He hadn't really been given a good description of her, however. He knew she was apart of The Grey, and that the Grey's Healer fit Tor's description, but he could be wrong. Ktulu had said The Grey would help him find his lost brother...but he was sure that would come with a price. He had to find some way of contributing to The Grey, and he had heard that the Healer needed aid finding herbs and whatnot, and although he had tried unsuccessfully on his own, he knew he needed to do more. As Tor entered the cave, his mind drifted to his experience in the Heavenly Fields, where he fought a losing battle against a strange purple plant. He had gripped it with his teeth and pulled with all of his strength, but the little plant would not budge. He still didn't know how that was possible. That's what I need her for. He thought, to learn.

As Vermillion entered the cave, he stayed close to the walls, trying not to let his cloven hooves echo too much on the hardened ground. He attempted to match each of Tor's steps, so that any sound he made would be shared with her, but her steps were much longer than his, due to the great difference in their sizes. If she saw him now, what she would see is a little unicorn - leonine tail stretched out and upwards for balance, comically stretching out each hoof, and holding it in the air until Tor took a step. As the pair went farther into the cave, Vermillion began to see what Tor already did - all of the glittering stones. He was too mesmerized by all of the colours to realize that it was in fact a dead end. Ignorant of this, Vermillion simply stood awe-struck, taking in all of the colours, which were overwhelming his little mind.

Please tag Vermillion in all posts !

"it is when we are most lost
we find our truest friends "
                   - Snow White

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Maybe it was an old, primal instinct warning Tor of company, or maybe it was the slight prickling upon her nape-of-neck as the slender creature followed her. As it was, she spun around, ears flicking forward, brights of her eyes exposed for one brief moment before she recollected herself. A pretty boy, white lashes long and stark against vivid jade eyes, startlingly bright. A curling, leonine tail rested behind him, silver hair falling smoothly from it with a glittering sheen. Rosettes of marbled gold bloomed over his hide, giving him a slightly dappled hue that was wonderfully elegant. For one bizarre second, it seemed the glowing, multi-colored light condensed on his white coat, before it dissipated. Strange. Tor smiled, cocking her head slightly as she watched Vermillion stand. It seemed he had been just as entranced by the sparkling rainbow of jewels as she was.

"Good day, young one. I'm Tor. How are you?" Despite the rather eerie, somewhat unsettling fact the pearl-horned horse had followed her, he seemed young and... small. Venerable, in a bizarre way.

[eurgh short post. sorry!]

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Hidden Account
Guess

Vermillion's reflexes were horribly slow. Tor had already fully spun around before he even had a chance to jump. And jump he did - straight up. He landed with all for legs splayed, and his leonine tail tucked around the back of one of his hind-legs. Startled, his eyes widened as he realized for the first time just how big Tor really was, in comparison with him: It didn't help that her heavy feathering added to her size.

"I-iiii-I wasn't following you" Vermillion stammered, lying boldly as he stood trembling before her. "C-ca-cause if you think I was, I wasn't." His lower lip trembled as he tried to hold in it. He felt the words forming on his tongue, consuming his little mind. Standing straight now, he titled his head apologetically. Of course he was following her, and of course she knew it. She would be angry - she would lie! Good day, young one. I'm Tor. How are you? As the words flowed into his ears, the flood gates holding his tongue silent burst all and once: "Do you know Solomon?" He practically shouted the question at her - his small voice echoing off the walls sounding more and more pathetic with each reverberation. As he spoke, he had jumped forward a little with anticipation, and now he stepped closer to her, looking even more sulky for having lied and yelled at her. "Look i'm sorry okay? I just -His voice trailed off. Just what? With a big breath, sounding like the quick sort of inhalation that happens mid cry he burst out: "Ijustdon'tknowanyone anddd..andd...Ktlulu said if I joined the Grey they would help find my brother butshehadn'thelped yet and Idon'tknowanyoneelse and...Do you know Solomon?" As his words flooded out, they clumped together, only sounding remotely coherent when he asked about Solomon again.

[OOC: That's okay :3]

- Snow White

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Even with her kind heart, Tor had to resist the tempting urge to laugh at the stallion's terrified expression, as if being caught was the most awful thing in the world he could think of. Goodness, she wasn't going to hurt him! You would think he would at least now that through her own clumsy movements and sweet eyes. The boy really did seem terribly scared, legs splayed wide. His voice was stammering, filled with nerves, and Tor gave a little sigh. Was she really that horrendous? Painted lady Tor had thought of herself calm and placid, not intimidating. "I'm not going to attack you for following me, for goodness' sake!" Bichrome Tor snorted, exasperated. What would her sire say to her right? Gosh Tor, did you become a murderer while you were away? She could almost hear his hearty laugh. Yet as soon as she followed up with what she hoped was calming words, a roaring river of words came attacking at her. The cave's glow seemed to almost retreat from the young one's volleys of sentences at her, fearful of the terribly loud noise. Who was Solomon? Just as swift as the attack of words, he launched into a stuttering apology, seemed as upset as a wet cat, and flew headlong into a jumble of talk about... honestly, Tor wasn't sure. The only few words she could pull out of it was 'Ktulu' and 'the Gray'.

This skittish stallion was part of the Gray? Sorry to say it, but Tor couldn't really seeing him being a warrior. He's training under me?!! The draft inhaled deeply, the spice of sand and the faint wisp of salt reaching her nostrils. "Relax, boy." Tor told him, keeping her tone as soothing as possible. I hope he isn't a mental patient. Is what she found herself thinking. Gods above and below and around, please help me! Is what she found herself praying. And then- who the hell is Solomon? "I am Tor, second of command under Ophelia's rule, part of the Gray, gifted with magic from the God of the Earth." Normally, Tor really didn't see a point in saying all of this, but this crazed stallion seemed to be an except. "As one of the Gray, I expect you to be able to command yourself better," The words may be harsh, but the tone gentle. "Who is this Solomon? I will try to help you find him." Tor then said, hoping to ease this stallion's nerves and fear. She would help him, she would, yet she had a strange feeling this Solomon wouldn't exactly be around for talking.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Hidden Account
Guess

Quivering, Vermillion pulled his lower lip inwards to keep it from trembling as he looking up at Tor. The words that she recited to him, sounded...mystical to his mind. Like something medieval, from a fairy tale. Second of command under Ophelia's rule, gifted with magic from the God of the Earth. Wow. His mind, distracted, focused on what she had said about the God of the Earth. "There are God's here?" He asked, more to himself, than to Tor. Unknowingly, Vermillion had run into the Vein of the Gods previously, having chased a bird there. He had checked back often, trying to find the red cardinal which had alluded him that day, to no avail. But he had never even heard whispers of the Gods, until just now. As Tor reprimanded him, however gently, his ears fell backwards. He looked up at her apologetically - his leonine tail still wrapped around his hind leg, which was shaking ever so slightly. It wasn't fear which was now causing the reverberation deep within his bones, it was a struggle between his childish naivety, and the slow reality of adulthood. Solomon wasn't here. He was probably dead. Vermillion simply couldn't accept that. He tried to tell himself that he would feel it in his very soul, should his twin die. But his mind reminded him that the little stallion had not felt their twin-bond in quite some time now.

Vermillion's shoulder's slumped down, making him look even smaller in comparison to Tor. "I'm sorry." He murmured quietly, his green gaze sweeping the floor, unable to meet Tor's eyes, less he see a look of disappointment, or annoyance. He was realizing slowly that he had a lot of growing up to do. Look at Ktulu - hardly older than him, and leading a group of mercenaries! Then there was Vermillion: brother-less, family-less, personality-less...With a sigh of acceptance, he looked back to Tor. "Solomon is my twin. I ...I don't think he made it from Isilme. With great effort, Vermillion plastered a fake smile across his face. He didn't want to be a bother and if Solomon really wasn't here...well...Sulking wouldn't do any good. "I think I'm supposed to help you find herbs? For healing and stuff? I found one..in the Fields. It was purple, but I couldn't pull it out. It tasted..."Recalling the odd purple plant that he had tried to de-root, he smacked his lips together, recalling the taste. "Like cinnamon?"

- Snow White

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

The gentlest of sighs came from Tor as she noted the stallion's trembling stance. She didn't mean to frighten him! She had never imagined herself as scary. In a moment, the mare's exasperation transformed into confusion. How could he not know of the Gods? Surely he would at least have heard rumors. "Um, yes, there are. The God of the Sun, the God of the Moon, the God of the Earth." Not yet had rumors of the God of the Spark reached her furry ears, but soon enough one of her friends or allegiances would surely note her.

Tor took note of the slender stallion's leonine tail curled around his hind legs, the tip of it shaking ever so slightly like a leaf in the stirring of the air. Well. Apparently she was terrifying. The idea of it was so bizarre! How could kind, lovely, Tor be intimidating to someone? And here was this stallion who baffled her in a few minutes more than anyone else she had met or knew! Suddenly, the boy swung into an apology. Gods above and below! Couldn't he make up his mind? "It's fine...?" I don't think he's given me his name. If he had, she had quickly forgotten it, but Tor never forgot names. If she was a human, she would organize all her memories into files, into cabinets, into rooms and into boxes, with sticky notes and highlighted bits and bobs everywhere- but organized.

"Really, it's alright." The draft responded. Another Isilme horse! What was Isilme like? Maybe Tor should travel there one day. Apart from the Shades infesting it, it seemed to be full of adventures to be had. Lace might be interested in coming back with her one day, checking it to see if the Shades had gone. "Yes, I can help you learn the plants and herbs. I doubt we'll find any in here or on the beach, however. If you would like, young one, I can come with you to the forest or the meadows where we can find something to teach you."

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Hidden Account
Guess

Relaxing as his mind slowly comprehend the kind, reassuring tones of her voice, he bobbed his head up and down rhythmically as she spoke. He ceased shaking entirely as she finished speaking, yet his head continued to bob up and down. Realizing that she had stopped speaking, he pressed his lips together and snapped his head back to a comfortable position, looking sheepish.

She had called him young one, why had she called him that? Didn't she know his name...? Realizing that he had been too intent on berating her with questions about Solomon, he had skipped over the introductory part of their conversation. Frustration welled up within his tiny mind, as he mentally cursed not having had his parents around. How was he supposed to know what to do, when there was no one to guide him? "My name is Vermillion"He said finally, giving Tor yet another apologetic look. As he looked at her, he saw the glimmer of light on the wall of precious jewels behind her. Peering around her large frame, his mouth formed an upside-down U shape as he considered the abundance of colourful gems. But hadn't Tor said they wouldn't find anything of interest on the beach? Frowning, he looked back at her again. "We can't use any of those for magic n'stuff?" He asked, not meaning to question her knowledge of healing, but baffled that such beautiful objects were not related to magic, in some way.

- Snow White

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Vermillion. Another name for scarlet, for red, for cinnabar, for cinnamon. Tor tilted her head thoughtfully, watching the unicorn with large, soft brown eyes. He seemed so skittish and spread out- not enough lavender to cover up the taste of bile, it seemed. Not that he was the bile, but the lavender. Okay, now you're just confusing yourself. The unicorn's head curled around her body obstructing the view of the gems. "No, Vermillion, that cannot, not that I know of, although I have heard rumors of gems that hold magical properties. Yet they are rumors, and rumors do not save sickness." With a purposeful spring in her step, Tor moved towards the tunnel, her hooves sending a clattering through the cave. It seemed, again, the jewels shrank from the frighteningly loud sound. "Are you coming?" Her voice called to him, just in case he was locked to the floor, not that she had looked.

Without glancing back, she took up a trot through the caves. She did hope he would follow her.

OOC: If you want, I/you can start a new thread with some actual plants to learn or you can look at this thread with herbs I've put down at the moment! (It's the second post)

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.