the Rift

My Feathered Friend [Moon God?]

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Questing for a bird companion - a red-footed falcon. Thought perhaps the God of the Moon being wind, would be best to go to for this?]

Amidst the howling, dry winds of Tallsun and the growling, gnashing teeth of the ocean's waves breaking on the mountain side, there came the steady sound of hooves striking stone. A small, nearly insignificant spec of a horse was making his way steadily up the narrowly winding path, his whole body leaned into the effort of the steep and treacherous climb.

Sweat darkened the stormy coat of the unicorn stallion. It beaded up on his face and in the creases of his muscles, rolling down to stain the heated earth with a brief hiss or to be consumed noiselessly by the gurgling magma - evaporated before it even touched the blue substance. Cautiously the leather worker swung his head around to look at the strange substance. The veins the people here called it, the veins of the gods to be exact. He'd scoffed originally - Coris was not a very religious stallion - but he'd been desperate enough to come all the same.

Standing here now, whiskers curling over the heat and the majesty of the place, he could not help but feel a little belief stirring in his chest. He could almost see the pulse within the blue lava, and were it an easier trek he could have been more gentle with his hooves, half afraid the ground itself was the gods from which the veins poured.

Eventually the stallion made it to the top plateau. Breathless and trembling in limb from the exertion, he stood before the three mighty shrines. Uncertain for whom to call, Coris let his voice ring out loud for any to hear.

"Gods of Helovia," he began, pausing for a moment to collect his thoughts. Despite being alone on his journey, he hadn't bothered to think his way ahead, too concerned with not stepping off the trail or letting his tail drag across the blue fire. Now that he was here he felt faintly foolish. He was talking to air and stone and metal, he snorted, sighing with despair at what he'd been reduced to. I know I have the gifts within me. They are just...blocked. If this can help, I will do it.

"Please hear my voice. I, Coris, son of Cre and Praelia of the distant land Alaglasia, beseech your aid. I have been cast from my home for my inability to produce magic or bond. I know it lives within me, but I cannot seem to produce it alone. Please, help me to bond to a companion - a bird would be most suiting, so that I may find my honor restored, my craft improved and my loneliness cured."

He stood then, head bowed still though gold eyes flickered uncertainly back and forth at the ground. Would it work? He held his breath in anticipation, wondering if his lack of belief would influence his prayer - wondering if there was anyone to hear that prayer at all. By the horn of my father let this work.

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Moon
Cloaked in darkness and wind.

"Such an introduction you have there," the lady whispers from the air in front of the stallion. A few wisps of purple caress the space before him, then hint of silver. They swirl and dance before the painted stallion until they fill the figure of the Goddess. Delicate silver hooves touch the earth softly, her feathered wings still extended slightly until she rests them easily along her back. The straight black horn on her forehead gleams in the light, but she looks upon this newcomer with a cool interest.

She lets out an exasperated sigh before speaking again. "You seek to use my magic and flee back to your old home, Coris?" the God of the Moon asks directly, her silver eyes swirling around the center, where a pupil should have rested. A swish of her girlish mane was given, before her eyes stilled as she looked to her visitor once more. "I may aid you in finding a bird, but you will have to remain here in Helovia with your restored pride."

"If you agree, your quest is rather simple. You shall find the Lady Mirage or Mauja the Frostheart. Seek their approval. If one or both of them find you worthy, I will grant you this winged companion."

Unregistered

She appeared with little notice, so quiet and delicate were her steps, her grace. It startled the simple stallion who would have preferred to think gods myths and himself a fool.

White rimmed the wild eyes of Coris when he lifted his head. The fear was quickly stolen from him though, along with his breath, once he properly gazed upon this deity. As though she took the night sky as her cloak the pelt she bore was textured just as endlessly, just as deeply and just as gloriously as the heavens. Silver glinted occasionally as she moved, like splashes of starlight being revealed before the folds of darkness consumed them. For a while he could do nothing other than stare.

Stare in disbelief not only at the reality of this creature, but the splendor of her, and the wisdom.

She held him in a fierce stare that sent a cold paralysis down every core of the stallion's being. Her violet eyes swirled like lost galaxies and he trembled in awe of so many things he did not understand. She saw into him in a deeper way than anyone else, even himself. Return home?

"No I-"

He'd never really thought of it before. It had always been one step at a time and that first step included bonding or finding magic. It had always been elusive step, forcing him to stand still all these years. The more he considered it though, the more Coris realized that he would have returned home to snuff it in the faces of his kin that he was worth while, that he was special. And then what? Would he be happy with his revenge and go back to wandering the lost hills of the world? I would stay he realized with a weakness that grieved him deeply. He'd hoped he'd put his past behind him and shunned his family as equally and as quickly as they turned their backsides to him, but he was nothing more than the small colt still trying to prove himself in their eyes to just get an ounce of the same love they showed everyone else.

The tension broke. From fear to awe to shame so his eyes turned and sunk to vacantly watch the blue magma sizzle down the mountain's nape. Lashes blinked over a distant gaze and a chest pulled taut over a heavy heart. Her request was not one to be taken lightly. If he agreed, not only could he never go home, he could never leave this place. He knew very little of this place and less of it's people, having stopped only to hear enough that suited him and send him this way. In retrospect he realized how quickly he was using this territory for selfish desires - he'd always thought himself a giving stallion, even if his gifts came with prices. It hurt him more than he'd realized to think he could never step foot back into the canvas shelter of his birth place. A fire had always been stoked and there was the aroma of blood and sweat while his family worked to skin their catches. Raptors of all kinds lined the surrounding trees, guarded eyes watching him intrusively.

Coris shivered.

"I accept," he responded meekly. With ears turned low in his sorrow and head hung in defeat, the stallion could only do as she asked. He could never return home anyway without her help so he was damned either way. In a whisper, Coris said his peace, "Goodbye mother, father..."

Her next words demanded his attention. Gradually Coris urged himself from the hallways of his fondest memories, seeming to forget the cruelty of his family that cast him out so willingly. The goddess spoke names unfamiliar to the stallion and he glanced up at her with concern lifting his 'brow. "You are kind to aid me, Goddess. I am hesitant to ask further of you, but your task is no small matter..." Coris' mouth ran dry then and he licked his lips in anticipation of her less than kind response to his questions. He would rather risk the opportunity to ask however, than be set wandering this massive region looking for two names. How will I know these figures? Where do they keep?"

God of the Moon Posts: 236
Helovian Ancient
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Moon
Cloaked in darkness and wind.

A smile breaks on a cool expression for Coris as he accepts the Goddess's deal. She felt quite confident that once the young stallion gained his footing here in Helovia, he would fair better than if he had returned to his homeland. There was a twinge of pain that leapt across his face as the boy whispers a fairwell to his parents. Quite confusing for the lady of the night, as she has no recollection of a sire or dam. Perhaps, in the beginning, there had been. Now, the shadow of time clouded the memories of her youth. It was hard to venture back so far.

"Fair questions, young Coris," she says. After all, being a stranger to Helovia would make these names quite the mystery to him. "Mirage is the leader of a ragtag band of outcasts who are loyal to me - she bears a coat of black and a golden dragon. If you cannot locate her you may want to try her comrades Torasin, a palomino paint with a dragon, or Vikram, the great dragon hybrid."

"Mauja the Frostheart rules over my patron land, the World's Edge. He has an icy appearance and strong will. As you wear a horn, he should welcome you, but should you run into trouble, mention you are on an errand for me. None should give you trouble."

Unregistered

She might have spoken plainer, but it was all still cryptic to the new traveler that new no names and no faces. Trying best he could to hide the disappointment in his features as the moon described further on the two he was fated to meet. At least it would help him recognize who he sought, even if the direction to start remained unclear. North, west, east, south? Where is this world edge, where is this ranging band?

He would get no more help from her he knew. Perhaps she intended for him to wander around like some half-witted colt trying to find his lost dam, muttering her name while spinning in clear circles. Perhaps she was only a magician and no god at all - a trickster providing a good appearance but no prize for all his efforts if they were accomplish-able efforts at all.

Withholding his doubts and his cynicism, Coris nodded his head in silent gratitude. With a sharpness to his eyes he glanced at her one final time before retreating down steep pathway. His final gaze would speak of his troubled thoughts and his mistrust, but just as equally of his determination and his desperation.

Do not prove me right, I beg that of you.