the Rift

hungry ghosts. [yseulte, cass, open]

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

image by ferran-jorda @ flickr.com</style>

In the dense forest, there was little to be seen except for the flickers of white which would litter the ground when a lucky ray of light penetrated the canopy. With spring gradually making its mark upon the land of Helovia, the densest canopies would only grow more full, leeching out every last spot of light until only those with the keenest eyes could see. Two pairs of particularly keen eyes, one violent and one in stunning gold, were navigating the dense darkness below the trees. Paws garnered with thick, black claws step nearly silent upon the mossy loam of the forest, still a bit slushy from the melting snow which still clinged to the towers of trees. Like a hurried lover, the white crept close to rough face, closer still until it dissipated entirely.

Snap, the resounding echoes of a twig as the large paws make a mistake, cracking the small limb in half along his way. It mattered little to the large hybrid now, for even though his keen ears could hear the companion flying at his side, the affectionate, cheery, and incessant voice no longer called out to his mind. In fact, there was no sense of anything in Osiris's mind. The heartbroken coo of Comadre on the first day of spring seemed to signal to Osiris that, much like his own, the dragon's mind was also quiet. "Srrrrsssssssss," the call from above comes, and the wolf looks up to see two violet eyes watching him intently.

Out of whatever love the strange pair had for each other, they had not separated ways. Perhaps it was simply comfort, but the affection felt on the cold heart of the wolf was undeniable. Unable to hear Comadre's own reasons, Osiris stayed silent about his. It mattered little why the reptile chose to stay close to his bonded, now missing the bond that had been so natural, just that he had.

A thud on his shoulder rings out as the dragon lands upon it, little claws digging into a thinning coat and grasping the wolf's mane. "We will find them soon I hope, Comadre," the wolf says, before realizing he had unwittingly stopped in his path while thinking about the lost bond between he and the small dragon atop his back. With a heavy sigh, the hybrid begins moving again, shifting through the trees, paws making soft, quiet thuds as he passes by.
""

osiris </style>
Out of my blood, he'll breed revengement and a scourge for me.</style>

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia was worried. The strong emotions and shifting pictures from Tinek's mind were no longer reaching her consciousness, and she watched the dragon. He did not seem ill, and he seemed just as upset as she was. In a manner that was almost dog-like, the silver dragon whimpered and crawled into her mane, hiding his crimson eyes beneath thick tendrils of white. "I know," she murmured, trying to comfort the creature when she was afraid of the future herself. Cloven hooves sunk in the soft earth of the melting forest, seeing the trees begin to bud with green. White frost clung to the trees as the sun beat them into a melting death, and she lamented the loss of the perfect lanscape.

All good things must come to an end. The white mare was trying to find her sister, and her pale coat was no longer camouflaged against the environment. She stuck out like the sun at night, but she was too preoccupied to care. Ktulu would know what to do and be able to corroborate the mental bond with companions; if she could not speak to Eytan, then something was terribly wrong. Snap. Ophelia sharply turned her head, knowing that she was not alone. The mare tilted her ears forward for more sounds, and she recognized the voice of Osiris in the distance.

Again. Ophelia had resigned herself to the fact that, for as large as Helovia was, she would never escape the reminder of her foolishness. The young mare set her jaws but knew that she had to ask the wolf about Comadre. If the black dragon could not speak to his wolf, then they were all doomed. With a flick of her pale and crimson tail around her fetlocks, she trotted swiftly through the trees before falling into step beside the wolf; he towered over her. She smiled up at Comadre, seeing the creature balancing on Osiris' furry back. "Hello Comadre," she said to the violet-eyed creature.

With a somber cry, Tinek crawled from Ophelia's mane and looked at Comadre for support, concerned that he could not feel the white mare's mind anymore. "Osiris, can you hear Comadre?" she asked, her tone deep and worried. She stared at him from her violent, crimson eye brows furrowed deeply.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Yseulte Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 5
Itzal :: White Tiger :: Hypnotize roni

The earth was waking from its deep slumber, at long last.

There had been whispers, whispers of the gods stirring with deep restlessness, and of the sun god's return. Not that Yseulte had known he was gone in the first place. What tangled webs the gods chose to weave was of their own concern, and as long as they left her life in peace then she had no quarrel with them. Instilled deep within her (although she would never admit it, perhaps) was her father's loathing of higher ethereal beings. The idea that someone else could control her life, could strip her of her liberties and freedoms in the blink of the eye, disgusted her greatly.

But they could change lives for the better, too.

She had the Earth God to thank for that. She was about to embark on a quest that would bring her happiness, and bring her light in the dwelling darkness of her heart.

The day was quiet and still—but the Dark Forest was always quiet and still. She hated trees—truly hated them. She could not see the endless sky, could not feel the warmth of the sun on her back. The cool, twisting darkness was much more suited to Zjarri's slinking, stalking ways. But struggling through the wild depths of the tangled woods where dark things slumbered was the only way to Frostbreath Steppe, and she intended to reach the barren ice lands within the next few days.

Nonetheless, her heart was glad when two figures, dappled by wane sunlight that somehow managed to drizzle through the canopy, stood in her path. The Deep Forest was always silent, and Yseulte was thirsty for company. The Edge dwellers were busy and had little time to babysit the new kid, and so Yseulte often took off on her own, exploring the farthest reaches of Helovia. As she approached, the white unicorn captured her attention first because Zjarri and her aunt's skin had been just as pale and flawless—a pristine white that put freshly fallen snow to shame. The mare was beautiful, and Yseulte wondered if she embraced and flaunted her beauty, or if she shunned and despised it as Yseulte did her own.

The dimness of the forest cast the second stranger in a shroud of murky darkness—and she could only trace the outline of a hulking, hairy figure with burning golden eyes. He was most peculiar, but Yseulte had seen far stranger beings dwelling in the magic-infested realm of Liridon—a place where every misfit found a place to fit. Dragon-horses, rainbow-horses, and hybrids of every breed imaginable. But here in Helovia, he was a rare sight indeed. They would have seen her by now, or perhaps he could even smell her. And certainly their jewel-eyed companions would have felt her presence. Yseulte padded forward, her eyes speaking the greeting that her silent lips did not.

In return, there were four pairs of incredibly colored eyes staring at her. A wild, violent kaleidoscope of color—violet, golden, crimson, and blue. She dipped her head to the dragons with a vague smile, her gaze lingering curiously on their bright scales and delicate wings. She was unfamiliar with dragons, though Lace, her appointed mentor, also possessed one. They were a formidable pair, these two strangers. The white mare's gentle expression was clouded with worry and confusion—the stallion's likewise, if not more cold and callous. Yseulte felt the agitation in the air, and wondered at the cause of it.

"Why the long faces?" she managed at last, taking a valiant stab at breaking the ice between strangers.

yseulte,

image credits

ALL THE WAYS I GOT TO KNOW
YOUR PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL.

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

image by ferran-jorda @ flickr.com</style>

"Ooooooffeeeee," the sound of wisps as wings flutter past Osiris's ears. His head turns with the motion, hearing the voice he assumed would shortly follow. After all, Comadre had already introduced her to the hybrid before the golden eyes had even made contact with her coat of pure white. Hello, Comadre. The dragon flutters over to the young silver dragon, landing on the white mare's back without waiting for permission, snaking his neck around to watch Tinek with piercing eyes. A sorrowful coo rings out of the dragons mouth, clawed hands reaching for the other reptile in an awkward sort of comforting embrace. Without words, the hybrid watches his bonded's search for comfort while offering his own to the small, silver reptile on Ophelia's back. Were they truly bonded anymore? It was hard to know.

For a moment, his golden eyes almost hesitate to meet with the dual tone of Ophelia's, anchored to the scaled bodies for passing seconds even as a sweet, vulnerable voice rings in his ears. Reluctantly, he drags away from Comadre, half afraid to let the black slip from his sight, to face the pure white face of Ophelia. "My mind is silent," he says in response to her query, assuming that if she were asking this plagued her as well. "I would be joyous for such peace if the silence did not cause me such panic." The wolf was worried, but mostly terrified. The presence of Comadre had somewhat comforted him in the absence of Virva, first when he had assumed her dead and now fled from his side, but the reality of his voice being but a memory to his mind was absolutely crippling. While Comadre had remained by his side, a sign of fidelity from the creature, there was no link the assure that the reptile would not leave. Never had the wolf been so filled with worry and self-doubt about the idiotically cheerful creature than now in this moment. With sudden, stunning clarity, the separation had brought to the forefront the hidden affection of the misfit creature for his tiny companion. The world without Comadre was something much more dreary than he could truly stand. If the bond was to be forever shattered, then what would become of this affection? Would it stand the wear of time or fall to pieces like so many before it? Because now, strangers to each other's minds, Osiris and Comadre had no necessity to remain together.

Thoughts jolt back to the present as sharp ears catch on to the sound of steps approaching. In the darkness, Osiris slinks closer to Ophelia's side, placing himself loosely between the newcomer and the white unicorn, though far from blocking the girl's sight of the approach. His own feral golden eyes seek out the form from the shadows, even as a violet face peeks out into a freckle of light. Her voice is soft and gentle, but has force hidden beneath it, as though to show she was brave enough to speak in the atmosphere dense with emotions. Osiris has nothing to say in response, mouth kept shut and he only stays to observe her figure as it becomes more visible in the dim light. He had little interest in discussing his private thoughts with a stranger and resented her question, though he had no suspicion of ill intent from the girl. Still, eyes narrowed, and the wolf found himself wishing for the clearer images produced by dragon eyes, but his would have to do.

"It's the only expression I know how to make," the wolf says with a twinge of humor finally, one corner of his lips curling upward in a smirk, proving his words false even as he speaks them.
""

osiris </style>
Out of my blood, he'll breed revengement and a scourge for me.</style>

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia frowned deeply at the wolf's words, dual eyes staring ahead with a somber expression. Would Tinek follow her forever? Or would he eventually realize that life without their connection was more liberating? She knew that her heart would break without his little, young presence brightening her day with some nonsensical whimsy. The white mare felt another set of talons land on her back, but she did not falter in her steady, lithe movement. At least they had each other. Ophelia would continue in this darkness as she had from her birth, alone. Ktulu was her closest confidant, and even then, she did not often enjoy being a burden on her sister's strong shoulders.

Tinek blinked sadly as Comadre came closer, and like a child would with a parent, Tinek embraced the charcoal dragon tightly. His silver head rested against the smaller shoulder of his friend, and he sniffed sadly. Tinek hoped that his bond mate and the furry one stayed together so that he would have Comadre close by, but he knew that with Ophelia's wandering soul that she would feel the need to be alone.

"The occasional picture or color he would shove into my mind was at one point a distraction," she commiserated. "However, I miss the way he would interject into my own thoughts with his own form of communicating." Ophelia could not imagine what Osiris was feeling, having been bonded to the black dragon for much longer than she had been bonded to Tinek. Panic, like he said. Panic. Ophelia furrowed her brows deeply, glad to feel their talons on her back at least, if she could not hear his thoughts. "I will go to the veins to find out what happened," she murmured, knowing that she was also going for other reasons - reasons that had been developing in her mind for some time now.

Hoofsteps that were strange in weight and nature made the white mare lift her neck curiously, dual eyes watching as a lavender coat with sunkissed mane and tail moved into the clearing. She asked about them having long faces, and Ophelia could not help but snort in amusement at her friend's response. She could not help but notice the way Osiris positioned his larger, feral form in front of her, angling her so that she would be last to receive the brunt of an errant attack. The protective instincts warmed her heart, but she did not take them as a personal compliment. He was a kind soul beneath the callous exterior. She believe he would do the same for any friend; perhaps that was why she had fallen so hard for him not too long ago.

She frowned while gathering thoughts that wandered to far away from her before eyeing the beautiful mare. How could a coat be so purple? The color was almost as vibrant as the black dragon's eyes, and Ophelia knew that she paled in comparison to such beauty. Her young, lithe and long-legged figure almost looked lanky when placed against the mature and refined body of the other mare. They stood at nearly the same height, however, which was curious since Ophelia was normally taller than most of her gender. "I am unable to communicate with my dragon, Tinek," she explained softly, following Osiris' humor with honesty. "The absence of his presence in my mind is... I cannot find a word to describe the heartbreak."

Ophelia's lips twisted into a grimace, trying to hide her true emotion as her dual colored eyes steeled. "My name is Ophelia," she said quickly, trying to adjust the subject before the dull beat of her heart fell from her chest in agony. "I am a wanderer here, though I was once of the Dragon's Throat. And you?" Ophelia waited for the answer with a gentle expression, kindness radiating from her demeanor.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!