the Rift

Every New Beginning.. [Lynx, open]

Note Posts: 183
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 6 years Buff: NOVICE
Sabel :: Iberian Lynx :: Stormcall bry
A blast of cool, yet refreshing air mixed with a hint of sand hit Note's face as he continued on his way of following Lynx. He looked insecurely to his sides, then took a deep breath. The smell of horses was getting stronger, much, much stronger. The smell of sand was too. He noticed the amount of trees getting thinner, and thinner as they continued also.

The pair stepped out of the now thinned out forest and into the vast desert before them. Note threw his head up, the smell of horses was almost overwhelming now. He was incredibly happy to be so near to other horses. He almost spread his wings out in joy by the thought of being with them - almost. He reminded himself of his scar and didn't dare to open them up. Ever.

Note looked at Lynx with a smile, then continued to observe their new surroundings. They were almost to where Lynx was leading him, he could feel it.

(I hope this doesn't sound too much like powerplaying. If it does, I'll edit it.)

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan

Lynx
Hope and pray that you never need me, but rest assured I will not let you down.

Note seemed to be overjoyed at the prospect of a herd, and Lynx allowed himself a slight smile. He had thought the stallion would appreciate having a home, and it seemed that his assumption was correct. The sight of the warm desert had sent a thrill of happiness through him as well, though it was the promise of lessened pain that led to his pleased state. Well, that and the thought of seeing Beauty, the orphaned black filly he had recently taken in.

The newly constructed wall rose from the sand, a necessary precaution, but one the buckskin was not overly pleased about. He felt it restricted the freedom of the herd too much, or at least the freedom of those without wings to fly over the nuisance. He snorted in annoyance as he walked along the stone length, forced to search for the small opening that allowed entrance and egress to the earth-bound Throat members. He pauses once inside the wall’s confines, giving Note a moment to catch up and take in his new home.

OOC: No, it seems fine to me :)

Hidden Account
A shiver went up his spine at the sight of the wall. You don't just put a wall up for no reason, it was here to keep something out. It loomed before Note, even though he knew he could easily fly over it, but he chose not to. He'd never fly, not after he got his scar. He hated the questions, the stares he got from it. It was the largest scar he had ever even seen on a horse.

Note sighed, then slipped in through the small opening that Lynx had gone through. He could feel the resistance of his wings to go through the opening, they added more width to him, therefore making it harder to pass through it. He slipped out with a grunt, then took in his surroundings. Horses seemed to be everywhere, pegasi, unicorns, and equines alike, but the pegasi greatly outnumbered the others. There weren't that many horses really there, but it sure did feel like it to Note, after all, he had just spent the last two years on his own.

He turned to Lynx, panting slightly after his small adventure of going through that opening in the wall. He smiled, and laughed mainly to himself. He was home. He had a home now.

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Lynx

Note gazes out across the desert, seeming awed by the size of the herd, and lets out a giddy laugh. Lynx, too, scans the nearby members, knowing how even this small amount of other horses could seem like an overwhelming crowd to someone used to being alone. His own arrival had been fairly quiet, meeting only two others before slipping away to resume a more solitary lifestyle. It seemed that this pegasus was tired of such a path, however, so Lynx gives him a friendly nudge on the shoulder and continues on, hoping to gain the attention of one or two fellow Throat members. That way the dusty bay would have someone to actually talk with, and begin the process of making friends.

Hidden Account
A sigh escaped Note's lips in a desperate attempt to calm himself down. He started to slowly move forward when Lynx nudged his shoulder, looking at the ground.

'What if no one likes me? Or they reject me? Or if their leader doesn't like me? That'd be terrible..' Note thought to himself, 'what if they see my scar? I'd be done for. No. You're over thinking things again, just calm down.' His sharp green eyes looked up at the herd members who were there, wondering if anyone would notice him, and if they did, would they even dare to approach him?

Yiska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Yiska
i am no bird, and no net ensnares me

The dun stallion pulled at a few fresh blades of grass that poked through the desert floor. Sure, they weren't as succulent as the grass that grew in meadows or dense forests, but he didn't mind. His tail flicked softly behind him, eyes half closed in relaxation. The wall that had slowly gained height helped soothe his nerves. This was home. It was safe, guarded, protecting him from the wicked unicorns that threatened this land.

In the distance, his keen ears caught a bit of conversation. He lifted his head, swallowing that last bit of grass in his mouth. The chocolate spots below his eyes captured the glare of the sun, making it easier to spot two specks in the distance that had entered through the Wall. One smelled slightly familiar - It was Lynx. Yiska had yet to formally meet the unicorn stallion, but he knew Lynx was a friend. The other, a pegasus stallion, Yiska didn't recognize. Leaving his spot, he trotted towards the pair, head held high and confident, his looming size softened by the kindness in his grey pools.

"Hello, there!" he called out, making his approach known. He finally came to a halt a leap away from the set. "I am Yiska. I am new here, as well, but perhaps introducing myself will make me less of a stranger. What are your names, comrades?" Dipping his head in respect, he then stood in silence, waiting for a response.

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Lynx

Concern begins to trickle through his veins at the sudden change of mood affecting his companion. A moment ago, the stallion had seemed perfectly happy, excited at the prospect of a home. Now, he kept his gaze on the ground, upset for some unknown reason. Puzzled, the buckskin attempts to figure out why the cheerful pegasus has suddenly become downcast. Fear of rejection, maybe? It is the only thing Lynx can think of, though it is an unfounded fear. If the Throat herd had been willing to take in a creature as ruined as himself, then of course they would accept Note. Not to mention the automatic welcome of winged horses that he had observed, any pegasus gladly offered a home no matter what their personality, appearance, or past. Unable to convey the information, Lynx just continues to walk. In time, he is certain that Note will feel the warmth of acceptance.

Motion catches his attention, and honey eyes lock on to the dusty equine approaching. A familiar figure, though not someone that Lynx has personally met. Head is inclined slightly in response to Yiska’s words, and mentally he curses his inability to return the friendly greeting.

He debates on whether or not to begin drawing his namesake cat, but decides against it for the moment. Better to leave an opening for the bay to speak, and perhaps he would answer for the golden stag as well. If not, he can always start his answering sketch before appearing rude.

Hidden Account
Pressing his right wing, the one covering his scar, closer to himself, Note smiled up at Yiska, the dun stallion approaching the pair.

"My name is Note, and this," He said with a gesture to the buckskin stallion next to him, knowing his inability to speak so he answered for him, "is Lynx." Note started to study Yiska more, the deep brown spots beneath his eyes catching his eyes immediately. He had never seen such markings on a horse, then again, the horses he grew up with were black and bays. Every now and then, he'd see a horse with stripes here and there on their bodies, like Note's, but the markings on these horses were much more lovely and vibrant.

He smiled hastily at Yiska, flicking an ear back at Lynx, still aware of his presence.

Unregistered

Yiska

The pegasus' wing moved harshly, as if to hide something. Yiska tipped his head to the side, curious, but quickly shook his head, staying respectful of whatever secret the brown stallion held dear. Note spoke, and introduced Lynx as well. "A pleasure to meet the both of you. I have been lacking in my cordiality, I do apologize for not meeting you sooner." Yiska nodded, a gentle smile on his face. "I assume your friend cannot speak? Or does he simply choose not to? I have met another stallion once, he lacked voice as well. Crow was his name, I believe, at least that's what I assumed when he gestured to the blackbird shaped splash on his back." Yiska rambled for but a moment, recalling the white crow. He had met him outside these lands. Where was he now? Perhaps he had found a home in Helovia, as well.

Tail flicking to the side, he looked at the two before him. Note seemed nervous, almost, and Yiska hoped he would grow warmer to his new home. "I am sure you will notice that this land is full of kind intelligent beings. I am sure you will be greeted with warm welcomes by not only I."

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Lynx

Brown eyes notice the way Note clamps a wing closer, and realizes that the pegasus has always been careful to obscure the right side of his body. Could he also be marked with some terrible scar? Knowing the fear of rejection all too well, Lynx puts such thoughts from his mind. Whatever it is that Note is hiding, the buckskin accepts as none of his business. Given the choice, he would hide his disfigurement as well.

He snorts as Yiska apologizes for not meeting him sooner, finding the statement amusing. He has hardly been around to meet, spending far more time in the Threshold. It made him feel useful, bringing more members to join the herd, like he wasn’t just deadweight. Every horse he brought home had the potential to help, to become a fighter, or builder, or healer.

Mention of another speechless horse draws his attention back to the conversation. It is a comfort, to know he is not the only one cursed to remain silent, though he feels a pang of sympathy toward the unknown stranger. Hopefully, Crow will be more easily accepted into society than he had been, just mute rather than mutilated.

Hidden Account
A smile dances across Note's face, as he ruffles his feathers out, not enough to let his scar show. He ignored the fellow stallions' curious glances, and showed barely any emotion.

"He has no ability to speak like we do," Note said, sounding distant yet respectful, turning his head to look back at Lynx, "but that just makes them, the mute, stronger than us, eh? Having to constantly find new ways to get their meanings across. It's a challenge the Gods only chose to give to the most patient and creative of us," he finished with a soft laugh, turning back to Yiska.

Note relaxed at Yiska's reassuring words, nickering softly. "I hope so, everyone I've met so far have been very kind." He paused for a moment, thinking carefully about how he would word his next question.

"Are there often...wars here?" Note said, quickly adding, "I wouldn't mind them, I was just wondering."

Unregistered

Yiska

Yiska scowled softly at the question, recalling the vivid recantation of Leander's history lesson. "War exists everywhere, I'm afraid," He began, shaking his head at the sad truth. "But this land has fallen in the eye of the storm. Battle has ravaged these lands, a war between racism and equality. I was not here for the last war, as I have only been in the Throat for a short while. But our sultan the LionHeart told me about it. There is a band of unicorns that took over the Edge, casting their hooves upon equines and pegasi alike. They also brought death upon the unicorns who disagreed, and believed everyone was equal. Finally a war broke out, and after much death on both sides, the unicorns were cast away. They lived their lives outcasted, but rumor has it the god of time granted them a valley to live in. But they have been stealing our members, as well as members of the other regions, enslaving and torturing them." Yiska finally stopped, looking in the distance. "The gods are also warring. But that is not our burden."

Yiska looked at the stallion before him. Regret filled his eyes, knowing that this land would be plagued with war again. History always repeats itself.

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Lynx

The unexpected praise from Note surprises the buckskin, suffusing his body with a pleasant warmth that has nothing to do with the sun beating down on them. The question that follows, however, diminishes the feeling, sending tendrils of ice through his veins. There was always the chance of war, always would be, but somehow he had forgotten that here, lulled by the apparent serenity of his desert home. The reminder seems especially harsh now that he has a daughter to protect, a herd to defend. What if Beauty got hurt? Or any of the others he had led here? He considers them all his responsibility, feels the urge to guard each and every one from harm.

The need to check, to make certain that all is well, pulls at him, bidding him to depart. Gently, he bumps shoulders with Note, and gives Yiska a respectful nod, then takes his leave. Together, they will be safe enough, and he will make certain to meet up with them again some other time.