the Rift

Adventure In D Minor

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Asur's laughter rang out, a rich cacophony of noise that rumbled like thunder through his chest and out of his lips, threatening to force through my guards and again bring my defenses to their knees. I was nearly helpless against the onslaught of his mirth, the pleasure of his company. Eyes softened, the threat of a breach becoming stronger and stronger. With effort, I reigned it in; only the smile betrayed my own tumultuous happiness and confusion.

I followed his movements with my own intent gaze, still and quiet against the fluidity of his actions; his boasting was endearing, an amusing response to my skepticism of his strength. Poor young stallion, he knew nothing of venture, nothing of travel and strength, at least by my standards. Yet he decides to explore, and I dip my head in favor of this idea, turning an incredulous eye upon him at the protests towards meeting Mirage. What encounters has he had with dragons, that he is so wary of them? He met Smoke, I know, and her blue Zaffre; had there been some accident? Or was he simply afraid of them? This image amused me - the proud Asur fleeing Zaffre's pursuit, running through the Foothills at a frantic pace. The idea morphed, so that now Zaffre was trying to thread flowers in poor Asur's braid, and a snort of laughter escaped me at the mental scene dancing through my mind. I shook my head quickly, eying the copper stud with a glinting eye. I would not explain this. Let him wonder.

"Lets test those legs of yours, shall we?" Abruptly I spoke, a sudden outburst of sound, the playful glint back in my eyes. Three seconds were all I gave, before pivoting suddenly, bending legs and exploding into motion, a whirlwind of shadow and moonlight beneath the falling sun. Dark hooves beat the earth with gaining speed; I stopped only a moment, at the lip of the meadow, and turned back to Asur. The wind tore at my pale locks; the sun set behind me. I grinned at Asur, and for a moment I hesitated, torn between him and the drop down to the real world. For a moment, I did not want to leave this magical place we had found for ourselves on the roof of the world.

Then I turned, and raced down, nimble legs navigating the treacherous slope, a dark shadow descending to Earth.

I hit the bottom of the hill, and I did not stop, relishing the glory of the wind in my mane and the sun on my back. Thoroughbred legs propelled me forward, mind racing as fast as my limbs. A vague destination was present in my mind, although the desire to stop and make sure Asur was indeed running with me. And there it was, the return of vulnerability, the appreciation of another who may not actually care. For who was to say that I meant anything to him, anything besides a companion, a means of passing time. The idea plagued the back of my mind, nagged me and hurt me more than I wanted to acknowledge. I knew close to nothing of this stallion, yet in the briefest of interactions he had managed to enthrall me, to capture my attention and curiosity.

The scent of thistle; the sound of rushing water. As the river neared, I kept running, thundering across the meadow and racing from my demons. Feet slammed down, abrupt breaking; I slid to the edge of the rushing water, hooves skidding on the muddy bank. Dirt flew everywhere, a cascade of loosened earth colliding with my ebon frame as I slid to a halt, drawing myself into an upright position. Stained with upturned mud and flattened plants, I breathed deeply, panting and grinning and pointedly not seeking Asur. "Did I win?" came the question, competitive streak suddenly vibrant. I waited for his answer, hoping there would be one. That he had not left me. That we were friends.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
Dirt pelts my hide like an abrupt hail storm. Almost instinctively I glance up, though I know it's a foolish notion - there is no moisture in the air these days.

My flesh ripples like a disturbed pond, though my limbs stay firm. I snort unappreciatively. In a less than graceful manner I lift my head from the stream's surface, lips smacking with a sound of satisfaction. It feels good. In the faintest of ways I feel a bit stronger, or at least, not near collapsing. My black hide has not born me well in this cruel season of tall sun. My magic has faired even less well however - my tail hangs dry and frayed behind me. Why, if this keeps up my true color might even begin to show beneath the black that everyone thinks me. Even I don't remember it any more.

All of this passes with the time of a blink.

Whiskers on my nose wiggle off the water droplets that remain as my gaze steels itself, black eyes nearly gray with their defenses. The suppleness that took to my muscles, whether from finally relaxing or the weakness of heat exhaustion, turn rigid. I can only hope I look intimidating or fierce, but it is fear that drives my response. A girl, cheery at least, stands before me, her voice calling back to another yet to arrive. I was not expecting company and the fact that now I must be social has made me sour and rude. It is always an effort to prepare myself for interactions and I'm left completely frazzled by this, my mood not helped by the oppressive sun and the worrying lack of my ability.

I am even more useless now without it. It angers me. It's a desperate emotion that I rather dislike, but I prefer it over biting my lip with concern so enormous it threatens my heart and wakes me from my slumbers. I am losing myself. I am losing my only means to communicate. I'm scared and weak and damn this girl with a moon her rump that intrudes on my few seconds of peace!

I glower at her, beginning to retreat, ready to run. Will my legs carry me if I do? I'm not sure any more. I'm not sure about anything, much less the capabilities of my body or mind. I've surprised myself in more ways the one recently.

I hate surprises.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

Soft, feathered brown wings dip downward to the field below, tired of the hot air that encases them like a cage. The thistle below, dried and yellow, also appeared tired of the heat which clung to Helovia like a plague. Where could you go to escape the jealous rage of the Sun God? There was no safe haven within the land, especially not at home, in Onni's beloved desert.

When soft thuds announce Onni's arrival to the pair of equines standing a few paces off, the tobiano gets a strange feeling of tension. Before her eyes even land upon the dark bodies of her new company, the pegasus already senses them in the back. Turning slowly, a pale face looks first toward the small boy, his body tense, and then to the crescent bedecked mare with a shining silver mane. They were an interesting pair. The colt was obviously in some sort of distress, but looking at them now, who were silent, it was hard to determine what the cause of the weird energy.

Taking a few delicate steps forward, blonde and white threads of hair whipping from a blissful breeze that graced the trio, Onni proffers a smile to both the black colt and the mare. "Hello," she says, her voice calm and light, much like the small gust of wind that had just passed through by the stream. "I am Onni." It was only polite to give your name when meeting others, right?

She certainly hoped so.
""

Exhaustion began to leave my body as I stood upon the riverbank, panting, waiting. Quickly my senses cleared, surroundings becoming clearer, awareness growing. The sounds of motion caught my attention; head snapped up. Stupid girl, so caught up in your games you forgot that others exist! There was somebody else here, observing my stupidity, my childish behavior. Dark eyes captured the inky form of the stranger, a sheepish grin forcing its way upon my lips, slowly sinking into the cool mask of control as I further assessed my situation. The dark colt seeped discontent and anger, all inexplicably directed at me. What had I done to him? Hell if I knew. The hostility he expressed in his tense muscles normally would have afforded me much amusement, although just now they only served to heighten the distress that prodded at my mind.

Asur had not come.

What surprised me most was how deeply bothered I felt when I received no response from my umber companion. Mind faltered, teetered upon the lip of furious despair, and perhaps I would have acted on my emotions, were it not for the glare of the sickly black creature before me. Somehow, I felt as though he mocked me - that he understood how foolish I had been to think I might make a friend, and relished in the failure of my experiment. How dare he judge me, hate me despite knowing nothing of me? All mirth had drained from my face, and now cool gaze returned his glare, daring him to speak.

But he did not speak. Instead, a new voice, carried on merciful wind, penetrates the thick cloud of dislike that surrounded myself and the stallion. Like a splash of cold water, the sweet tones of her greeting wake me from my funk; I start, slightly, and swing to face her, cloudy expression lifting into one of surprise. How had I missed her arrival, too? Had I truly allowed myself to fall so deeply into my emotions? A mental shake of my crown; enough of this. Asur was not probably lost, or slow, and certainly not worth brooding over.

Right?

The painted pegasus wears a gentle expression, one of youth and wonder that I cannot but look upon with wistfulness. Onni, she gives her name, and it rings a distant bell. I flick my gaze back to the youngest of us, wondering if he will give his name; but when he responds with only silence, I return my attention to Onni. "I am Rishima," comes the obligatory response. Weariness has crept into my tones, a slightly cynic amusement. I am a fool. These children did not need to bear my bitterness, especially as they had done naught to earn it. Soft smile supplanted the withdrawn frown; and while the light did not reach my eyes, it was nevertheless intended to set the pair at ease. A gentle dip of my brow, directed at the maiden; attention turns to the uneasy colt, and I snort apologetically. It seemed I was doomed to startle today.

Mind fails me now, and my tongue cannot form anything more to say, for now the thoughts of my missing companion threaten to pry into my composure once more. "What brings you here?" is asked lamely, yet with feigned confidence and calm; it is an attempt to draw words from the colt. Above, the sun beats down mercilessly, perhaps hateful of us for our dark coats - no doubt hateful of me for my allegiance with his sister. Still, the day had begun so well. I only hoped I could salvage it.

Hidden Account
Blu
Another lands behind me. There is the sound of feathers and windswept mane and I can already guess the blood of such a horse. It is not her wings which make my haunches tuck as though preparing to bolt, but rather her appearance behind me. I feel for a moment like a cornered dog, caged in on either side by two strangers. Perhaps the illustration would be more fitting to say I'm a nervous boy being trapped by two mares, my innocence about to be stripped! Yet that would be melodramatic and simply, untrue. It is not fear of my groin or youth that makes me sink with cowardice, nor is it heat or desire that lead them to come from either side. Quite simply, I am afraid, and they are both friendly and ignorant, in so far as I can tell.

My irritation rises at the presence of another. This eternal thirst and lack of magic I've relied upon since birth has made me very unpredictable. I'm no more dangerous than a mare with a mood swing though, perhaps even less so with my dull blade of a tongue. I can only roll my eyes with the insufferable agony of social interaction and playing nice when I want only to shriek.

I stand calm and passive despite my inner dialogue and fast-beating heart. My knees straighten and joints bend, though muscles occasionally quiver still with the urge to flee like a bounding stag. If only I could draw one to distract them and then run the other direction when they're not looking...

"Onni." The voice behind me murmurs. I am immediately calm. Well, calmer. She has a lovely voice and I cannot help but twist my head over my shoulders to finally look at her fully. She has a frame the nicely matches her voice, and I do admire her patchy coloration. Although I've certainly seen more, unique coloring in the past few days, I cannot help but appreciate the artistic design of the body, especially once so mismatched and fully individual. Her voice though is what truly draws me. With none of my own I am more attracted to the tone of others than anything they look, do or even to an extent, have to say. It's all about the how they say it, and I suppose, the why they say it. She is kind, but do I detect nervousness? Or just, uncertainty. I'm sure I don't appear welcoming.

I feel, embarrassed for being so childish. Have I even done anything offensive? I scrunch up my face in thought, uncertain of how I may have fully appeared on the outside. I make a note to drop my shoulders and cock a toe. When I do relax I'm aware once more of my overwhelming thirst and I resist the urge to climb into the stream and wallow like a hippo while in the company of these mares. I do have some pride.

I'm brought back to the first mare when I see her body move. She doesn't really go anywhere, but her demeanor changes. Gone is the original playful happiness she wore when she first startled me. She seems, sad? I cannot place it exactly, which annoys me. I like to be able to figure everyone out. There's much to listen to but so much goes unsaid. I would know.

She glances back a time or two. She's waiting for someone? Stupidly I crane my head around and try to glance back too, but I've no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for, especially when she doesn't even seem to find it. Was someone with her? Maybe they got lost, or died? Maybe she's crazy and has imaginary friends or shadows to play with. I shrug, not wanting to assume much less judge. I'm just feeling fantastical for some reason. I blame the heat.

In a demure way she murmurs her name, like air deflating from a song bird that's gone off key. I tilt my head, ears trying to catch her words in a new and different way. I am sad for her, unexpectedly. I much preferred the sound of her voice when she was happy. She proffers a weak, shadowy smile, as though aware of the perceptible shift in her mood. I don't pretend to return it. Mine would look nearly as frail as hers and I'd rather not lie with what little form of communication I still retain. I shake my head slightly, some form of apology for ruining her mood.

She begins to speak again. I hear it before her lips part and I stiffen. I know what comes next. It always comes, without a doubt, and it always sets the rest of the meeting - it usually sets it in a bad way too. I'm all tension with my spread hooves, raised head and clenched teeth. I can hear the question unfurl from her mouth, but it's not the one I expected.

I falter. The ground suddenly seems to have vanished, or so it feels. I catch myself, and were I able, would be blushing profusely. I give myself a shake and try to feign normalcy, as if I frequently nose dive into the ground, and move instead back towards the river and begin to drink. It's water is like a cooling balm on my throat and my whole body beats with renewed life. I am thankful for her question, I was dying to keep drinking. I slurp greedily, eyes lifting to gaze up at her. Though the burn still continues I manage to tear myself away, needing to get a point across by my drinking action. I raise my head and also glance towards the one called Onni. Water drips from my muzzle and my tongue, useless for anything else, ensures I do not lose another drop.

I bob my head passionately and finally crack my solemn features with a wide, boyish grin. Why, I'm here for the drinks, and perhaps, now that it's arrived, the company. I swish my tail in some form of invitation, like a finger curling seductively - can water be seductive? It feels like it, for surely it is not my young, frail and gangly body that would do the trick - come and drink from the earth's veins when the sky remains so parched.

Hidden Account

A nervous smile breaks on the pale face of Onni, as the silence drags into a long moment. The dark bodied mare looks toward the even darker figure of the colt, as if they have a silent dialogue between the two of them, probably about her being so foolish. Her blue eyes drop to the ground momentarily, the yellowed grasses with a dry crunch as she shifts her hoofs. The light eyes move upward when she hears the mare speak, her voice mournful almost. A questioning glint is adopted into the once self-conscious eyes, but Onni manages to keep from asking what would surely be a rude question.

Instead, her eyes dance over to the small figure of the boy, who is surprisingly looking at her with warmer eyes than she had seen staring at Rishima. He obviously makes no attempt to proffer a name, which contradicts the expression of interest in his face. Of course, Onni might be making false judgments about his thoughts; she could be overly confident in her ability to draw in others. "It is nice to meet you, Rishima," Onni says, her gaze finding its way back to the silver maned mare. Her lips tug up at the ends, the jovial expression almost natural to the pale face of the tobiano. She was rarely in a dark mood like the other mare.

Another lull of silence forms between the trio, broken by a snort that Onni does not believe is meant for her. As it begins growing again, Rishima draws up another question, shortly followed by the racket of tripping, causing Onni's face to snap in the black colt's direction. He seems to have caught himself before tumbling into the yellow grass, staring into the earth with all the intensity of the sun above - determined not to meet the eyes of his company. The tobiano is kind, letting out a small giggle before asking the motherly question you might expect: "Are you alright?"

But the boy is already retreating to the river, as if to physically answer the question posed by Rishima. As he drinks, Onni takes the time to answer the question for herself. "The heat drove me out of the sky for now, I'm afraid. I saw a spring and though to take a drink before making my way home on foot." The painted girl does not seem especially concerned with having to walk, and she isn't. In fact, Onni often found herself more comfortable walking. Flying was simply a quicker form of travel, and being outside in the summer heat was not very pleasant.

By the end of her small speech, the colt turns his head back to face them, dripping with fresh water. His feverish movements are quite charming, and they draw out a matching grin from Onni. A jaunty trot brings the tobiano up to his side by the swish of his black tail, dipping her own lips into the sweet, cool water upon the ground.

She will definitely have to tell Lyhty about this when she returns home.
""

They seem so innocent, these youngsters, with their curiosity and laughter - and here I stand, poised to drag them into my uncertainty and doubt. The realization of my own wayward emotions hits home as I catch the colt pursuing my wayward gaze, and is immediately followed by a deep frustration, both with myself and Asur for his disappearance. It's his damn fault that my spirits were raised so high and then brought so low, and it's my own damn fault for caring.

Once more drawn out of my musings by the antics of these new companions, my eyes snag onto the colt just as he stumbles, dark form threatening to collapse into a pool of his own ink. A startled step is begun, mindless instinct fueling me to catch him, but I pull back on the working muscles as he catches himself with little grace, awkwardly plunging his lips into the cool water in what I assume must be an attempt to save face. Laughter glitters in my dark eyes, but behind it lies a concern that is voiced by Onni. She, too, seems to find the silent colt's actions a source of amusement, and is not hesitant to express this. The soft sound of her laughter soothes me, and I feel my own muscles relax against the tension of my mind, a small yet genuine smile threatening to soften the sharp line of contained emotion worn upon my chiseled face.

Onni's voice pulls me away from the murky colt and his aqueous escapades, her response inspiring curiosity within the recesses of my anxious mind. That she should seek to retreat back to her home on foot seems unusual to me; why walk when you have wings, I wonder. Did the sun truly beat down so hard as to make flight painful? How high must a pegasus fly, for the discomfort of the elements to play on her physical capabilities? I knew, of course, that flight created a strain on the muscles, but that the atmosphere could further hinder aerial movement had been a theory long-held but as yet unexamined by my curious mind.

Questions form within my mind, but before I can present them the tobino shifts her gaze, and I follow it. The colt had turned back to face us, and as I catch sight of his infectious grin, I cannot help but mirror it back. Earlier tensions seem to be gone, and I am glad - the last thing I needed just now was a confrontation with a child. Still silent, he shakes his head joyfully, trying to convey some sort of message through actions. Is the boy truly mute, or does he simply have an aversion to speech? I tilt my head, dark eyes examining the colt. Did it matter? I remembered being a filly and stumbling over my tongue, even as my brothers grew into the ability to speak fluently, if never eloquently. Memories of their chorused insults draw a quiet chuckle from between my lips.

Oh, if only the mares who fawned over those two now could have seen them as rambunctious, devilish hellspawn!

But I digress. The point is, I knew what it was like to chose not to talk. And so whatever reason the colt might have had for his silence, I decided not to question. Instead, emboldened by the memories of my childhood and the absurdities of my brothers, a suddenly playful nature seems to settle over me. Dark neck turns gracefully back to Onni, calm expression shifting into something mischievous. "Do you see that gentleman over there? I do believe he is inviting us in for a drink." I throw a wink in the direction of the colt, hoping I have not scandalized the poor child too badly. The young mare is already moving forward, muscles working beneath her tri-toned coat; I watch her go, pausing a moment, enjoying the sight of the two youngsters drinking side by side.

Then, abruptly, I let out a loud whinny. Muscles contract, working to pull my ebony form into a half-rear, drawing back before launching me forward. Harsh hoofbeats on the compact earth; three steps, two, and suddenly I land in the pool, impact sending great splashes flying every which way, peals of laughter torn from parched throat. The stream is not deep enough to swim in; indeed, at this spot it barely rises above my knees. But oh, it does feel delightful against the heat of the day, and I lower my maw to drink deeply of its beautifully crisp liquid, momentarily and pointedly ignoring my (hopefully dampened) companions.

Hidden Account
Blu
A sheet of water arcs over me and provides dappling against my nape and mane. I snort into the water, briefly blowing bubbles, as my head shies away good-naturedly. I glance scornfully at the wild mare with the moon on her butt that tromped so enthusiastically through the stream, spilling the precious drink.

A mischievous glint streaks across my gaze.

It felt too good, too relaxing, too fun to truly be upset or serious. I don't often play, but in the heat of the moment, my skin itches to return the favor. Two can play at this game, after all.

Grinning from ear to ear I rush forward, hind heels kicking up through a wad of thick, black tail. As if the magic is punched from the brush of my tail hairs, ink streams out and dances on the air for a moment before twisting together and creating a wave of blackness. It drops abruptly, only likely sprinkling anyone but barely, for it was only a diversion. Fore hooves had since landed with a plop and now my hind hooves rush deep and far, kicking up water with a silver whoosh aimed for Onni.

I trot hastily at distance from her, head shaking in my form of quiet laughter. My eyes dance and my feet keep pace, swirling the water around my legs and cooling them. My ink ebbs in diluted for from my tail tip as it drags in the stream. Absently, I make black fish that swim around the mares' hooves.
"I love you"

Hidden Account

Rishima's words are playful, which is a relief to Onni, who had immediately detected not only anger but hurt from the mare's statue previously. She had seemed to loosen her body, become more comfortable in their company, and for that, the painted girl was glad. It was not often that she had the opportunity to brighten the spirits of others, but when she could it was always a blessed feeling. The tobiano returns her smile before bounding off to join the little black colt by the riverside.

Her lips meet the cool water happily, glad that they can take relief in the chill of the liquid. Her eyes close, letting the moment sink in completely, until an unexpected splash of water hits Onni's face with a playful splat. Her eyes blink the water away to reveal Rishima, standing ever so innocently in the middle of the river, sunken down to her knees. Another smile breaks out over her lips as the pegasus looks to the black colt, his eyes taking on a rather tricksy shimmer, and Onni's as well cast a more playful shade.

Onni chases forward, bringing herself beside Rishima only to promptly skid her hooves toward the side, bringing a small wave of water to roll toward the black frame of the moon painted mare. Commotion from behind them makes Onni turn her head, seeing the black colt buck outward, his thick tail falling upward, a mass of darkness in the bright blue sky. Some odd black liquid begins to spring forth, and Onni's eyes widen in surprise. What magic this boy had.

The little sprinkles of night fall swiftly, paining Onni's side with little dapples of blackness. It was not long before a shining wave of water followed those drops, crashing onto her back and wiping away the little dots of black. "You!" she blurts out, though not angrily, a joyous tone, before completing her turn used to splash Rishima and heading out toward the black boy of ink. He trots away, but Onni is quickly following him.

Black shapes begin to form in the river, however, directing her gaze downward. They look like cloudy fish, and Onni is quite amazed. The mare has never seen a painting, or any attempt to recreate the natural world - at the most she has seen jewelry in the form of amulets. However, the boy has a skill the mare has never encountered, and she finds it fascinating, a talent unmatched by anyone. "What else can you make?" Onni asks as her longer strides brings her to trot alongside him, playfully nipping out at his shoulder before pivoting sharply and trotting back toward Rishima.
""