the Rift

strength and honor, d'artagnan, open to plague

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx

His breath unfurled quickly, the vapor swirling and twisting through the air like silver serpents, each new breath devouring the previous. A sheen of white sweat glimmered slick and frothy on his skin, and some droplets cascading down his neck froze like tiny glass beads by the cold dawn air. Déodat slowed to a mile-eating jog, his mind heavy with fatigue. He had pushed himself farther than ever before, but he was in excellent physical condition and was taking the journey well.

The sharp contours of his dark face, as usual, was incredibly void of any emotion, save for his eyes. Cold, confident eyes that were such a deep shade of blue, they could be mistaken for purple at a distance. His velvet lips were pressed into a characteristically thoughtful line as he observed his surroundings with vague satisfaction. He could now understand why his cousin favored Helovia over home. And though he had not seen them yet, the land showed promising signs that unicorns thrived here, along with other lesser breeds, unfortunately. He stepped on a pale pegasus feather in passing, and his lip curled with distaste. But that could simply not be helped. This land would do well, for the time being.

Although the General would not be pleased with a prolonged absence, Déodat intended to reap the benefits that this land offered to him so freely. He was certainly in no hurry to return home, for strictly personal reasons of his own. As long as Déodat returned home with promising new recruits that could be tossed into the belly of war with the rest of them, all would be forgiven.

If he decided to return at all, that is.

For now, Déodat had no intentions of going back. He slowed to a comfortable walk as he weaved through the Threshold, enjoying the dawn's early light that set his ruby horn ablaze in blood-red light.

déodat,

image credits
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

KOU        
sometimes the wrong choices bring us to the right places

It was with light steps and an even lighter heart that Kou trotted through the Threshold. Now that they had a place to call home it made sense to her to start recruiting once more. In Mauja's absence along with the absence of their home their numbers had dwindled. Kou wasn't even sure who was in the Plague anymore, only that Psyche had come back and taken over again. For how long remained the question, however.

Her instinct guided her almost directly to Déodat. She emerged from the woods ahead and to the right of the darker stallion. Upon seeing another unicorn a smile lit her face. "Hello, there." She said as she continued to walk toward the stallion. Why was it he looked vaguely familiar? She'd felt as if she had seen him before, but couldn't quiet place him.

"Welcome to Helovia, I am Kou." She said after pushing away the thoughts of familiarity. "Have you come seeking a home or are you just passing through?"

He did not expect company so soon, but he did not mind it. He had been alone for more than a season as he had traveled in the dead, frozen grip of Frostfall—a most unfortunate season to be traveling such a distance. As a result, he was weak and much thinner than he should be. But there had been no choice in the matter—more fell dead every day. Some from wounds far too rancid and decayed for the healers to save, and some stolen by the cold. It had been the coldest Frostfall in many lifespans, as some elders said. And Déodat did not question them, for he harbored the utmost respect for the wizened old warriors of the Clans who had been wise and battle-hardy enough in their youth to survive decades of war.

Many did not see past their third year.

She was a sweet-faced mare, with bold blue eyes and pale skin like the dawn sunlight he had seen some hours ago. His expression rendered blank, as usual, but he dipped his ruby-glass horn in a silent greeting while those deep eyes silently evaluated her. It was instinct natural as breathing—you assess your enemy and you survive, or you die quickly. She was a couple hands smaller than he, but that was understandable, he was not a small stallion by any means. There was something delicate about her, something fragile, but there was also something rather dangerous about her and he couldn't place his horn on it. However, he had learned long ago not to underestimate anyone.

She welcomed him to Helovia, her voice full of quiet warmth. "Thank you," he said simply. He hesitated as he considered her next question. "It is undecided, for the time being. I will need time to...recover." The last word from his mouth is laced with bitterness—to express his sudden state of weakness was a vulnerable thing to do, but anyone with half a brain could tell he was not as well as he held himself out to be. "My manners are appalling, I'm afraid. I am Déodat."

Born of a Noble clan, he was well-bred and well-learned in formalities, but he was a General's son first and foremost, and the distinguishing trait of a General's son encompassed action rather than words.

déodat,

image credits
con by aihnna@dA

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
[Image: 50a95020212e7]

d'ARTAGNAN the NIGHTSHADE

d'Artagnan followed his Nurse through the woods. Tail held high, flickering like a dark banner behind him, whilst hooves squelched through mud. Winter was retreating and Birdsong began to take over, the shade found it all rather depressing. He'd enjoyed the cold months of Frostfall. A jangling sound ran with him now, an amulet of blue hues found lost and forlorn in the snowy wastes of the Steppe. It's properties still unknown to its new owner as he meandered through the forest, following the scent of Kou until another, surprisingly familiar scent, wafted into dark nostrils.

Picking up into a brisk trot, d'Artagnan jogged through the forest with lobes pinned forwards. Curious. He knew this new scent but... From where? The shade was on the verge of crying out in frustration when he finally laid eyes on the boy. The newcomer was strong with a coat dripping with blood like his own, a horn of rubbies encased in glass and finally his trademark splashes of white that could only mean one horse. Déodat. The Doctor waltzed in just as he was finishing his introductions, a smile of warmth on his face but pools portrayed confusion. "Manners?! What's a noble brat doing here?" His voice projecting surprise in his own gruff manner, taunting him with his final words.

d'Artagnan then moved to bump his horn with the other red bay's, a form of warm greeting to a family member, before turning back to Kou. Eyes softening at her face, the only mare who had tamed him. "I wouldn't waste your breath on him. He has a habit for chatting up pretty mares" there was a dark humour behind that voice. A smile playing on the edges of a mad man's lips as he took the game away from his cousin before he could even start to play it. Eyes of dual colours narrowing.

Why is the bastard here?

Whose gunna dig you out when you're
s i x f e e t u n d e r

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

KOU        

"I can take you to the place I call home." Kou offered, another bright smile lighting her pretty face. "Our healer is the best in all of Helovia, should you require that sort of recovery." She, of course, was a bit biased on who the best healer in Helovia was. She would always say that d'Artagnan was the best and there was very little, if anything, that could change her mind.

Even as she spoke of the healer d'Artagnan emerged from the woods. The way he greeted the other stallion spoke volumes and she knew that they had known one another from some other land. It seemed there was more that she needed to learn about her doctor. When he turned back to her after greeting Déodat she stepped toward him and bumped her muzzle against his affectionately before nipping at his long forelock.

"Following me again, doctor?" She asked knowingly. "I would assume you would rather see my face than my hind end all the time." The pale mare teased. "One might begin to get the wrong idea about you."

"That is very kind of you," Déodat said with a curt nod, considering her offer carefully. If there was truth to Kou's words and this healer was as truly as great as she expressed, then a speedy recovery would be most advantageous. "Indeed. I think I should like to meet this healer." He dipped his head slightly to the mare, and inclination of thanks to her offer.

That voice! Did his ears deceive him? Perhaps his ears could, but certainly not his eyes. He would recognize those glass horns anywhere.

"Cousin!" Déodat growled pleasantly, a broad smile spreading across black velvet lips as his like-image prowled through the woods, glass horn glinting in the dawn light that dappled through the trees. How good it was to see a familiar face in such foreign places! A family face, at that. Déodat moved to return d'Artagnan's embrace with a rough, fond bump of his own. A clinking sound echoed throughout the trees in the still morning and a startled flock of birds took flight. The two of them resembled brands of red flame clashing together to mold one distinct blaze of blood-red—each different, but very much the same Their family resemblance could not be mistaken from onlookers.

"Why, I'm gracing the lowly commoners with my presence, obviously," Déodat retorted in reply, dark eyes bright with wicked amusement. He eyed his cousin up and down—taking note of the healthy gleam of his blazing coat and the darkly intelligent glitter of his dual-colored eyes. Hadn't changed a bit, his cousin. Nor had his clever tongue, apparently, and his selective taste for games. Déodat bared his teeth in a wolfish grin—it had been far too long since they'd had a fond battle of wits. "Or perhaps, dear cousin, pretty mares make a habit of chatting me up." There was a sly tone to his teasing words, and his indigo gaze fell on the pale mare, who—much to his surprise—moved to d'Artagnan's side with fond ease, teasing him gently and nipping him in playful affection.

Déodat narrowed his eyes in disbelief at this open display of flirting, then widened as the pieces of the puzzle all came together. "What's this, now? Doctor?" A ripple of laughter spilled from his lips—but it was in good nature. He never would have imagined his rough and tumble cousin to become a healer of all things, much less a lover. "No wonder you're so ripe and fat! The great d'Artagnan, all settled down and retired with a wife," Déodat mused aloud, unable to resist teasing. "You must be a rare jewel, indeed, to have tamed this unreasonable beast," he said to Kou. Turning back to his cousin, he inclined his horn once more. "I see this place has treated you well, friend. I am glad for you."

déodat,

image credits
con by aihnna@dA

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
[Image: 50a95020212e7]

d'ARTAGNAN the NIGHTSHADE

d'Artagnan quickly returned the affection of his pale Nurse, very much conscious of the presence of Déodat who would no doubt pick up on it. The high born bastard he was. Ah, if only their places could of been switched, the Nightshade would have been feared throughout the clans for his incredible battles. A splodge of red on history pages to mark a bloody reign. All in all it was a rather nice daydream. It was cut too short as Kou commented on his following of her and insinuated a situation that d'Artagnan found highly embarrassing, looking away from her for a moment to regain a little composure and clear his voice. Inwardly cursing her ability to turn a situation on it's head, which usually didn't turn out too well for the wits of the Doctor.

It was the words of his cousin that had d'Artagnan in splutters of outrage. Commoner?! Bastard. Wild eyes turned to his kin offering a snort to his continuing dialogue as he happily pronounced mares came for him instead. What an idiot! Who on earth would fall for him?! The shade's inner self laughed as Déodat appeared to notice Kou's affection for the first time, causing d'Art to look around in feigned interest of something else. Watching out of the corner of his eye as the other steed's face turned from disbelief to understanding and laughter rippled from dark maw as the Mender turned back to narrow his pools at his cousin. Lobes swivelling to his words and silence sat on the air a few moments as he finished, d'Artagnan taking it all in. Did he just call me... Fat? FAT?! Noble swine, and retired? RETIRED?!

d'Artagnan turned to Déodat, ignoring the sentiment of good will and going straight for the jugular. "Like you can talk of high life Noble Déodat! Have you lifted a hoof since you were born? The inches of fat on your backside speak volumes, oh so great cousin of mine." He let his laughter seep into his words, there was venom there and there was playful banter. d'Artagnan satisfied with his answer, flicked his tail and turned back to Kou and the direction of the Basin. "Our home is this way, you may follow. Oh... by the way Déodat, once you join the herd I will outrank you."

With chill laugh, d'Art flicked mirthful eyes to his cousin. Watching and waiting.

Whose gunna dig you out when you're
s i x f e e t u n d e r

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

KOU        

"As a commoner." Kou replied, clearly unamused by the new stallion's offhanded comment. "I can assure you that find no grace in your presence, nor do I find any attractiveness." There was a smile on the mare's face and a coldness that was uncharacteristic in her tone as she shot down Déodat. Her blue eyes then shifted over to d'Artagnan and her smile became a bit more real. No, he was no where near as attractive as she found d'Artagnan to be. She also doubted her doctor's cousin would produce strong foals, but she was knowingly biased.

Even as Déodat spoke to her again, this time calling her a jewel instead of a commoner, Kou ignored him. "d'Artagnan, love." She said. "I'll leave you to chat with your cousin." Finally Kou cast a glance in the other stallion's direction before she looked back at her doctor. "I am going to find Aviya." She turned and began to trot away, but not before flicking her tail across the good doctor's chest. As the mare trotted away she looked back over her shoulder and winked before disappearing into the forest.

[lolol]