the Rift

Rejuvenation [Ktulu | Open]

Coris Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

With the receding hairline of snow upon the earth, the skin-taker was able to move from his prison within the mountains. Ribs poked out on either side of him and his step was an awkward shuffle wrought with pain that suggested a deep internal injury that was perhaps healing wrong, or just slow.

Chasing after that bear from the Threshold had been a long and arduous hunt. He'd tracked the beast for days and nights, losing her trail often - she'd been a smart bitch. Eventually she had tired of him and turned upon him in the dark, and many times he was forced to flee as much as he was to stand his ground. When hunting, especially something like a bear, it was imperative that he chose the when and where.

Eventually he had, and her coat had kept him warm in the snow.

Their battles had been fierce and many new scars on his form were attributed to her. The limp in his step was her doing as well and the infection had nearly granted her a grave's revenge, but Coris had pressed onward, holed up in an icy cave surviving on lichens off the rocks and whatever green Venati brought him.

Coris had aged years in one season it seemed.

He wore a mental weight now as well, as the bird above him flew silent.

Venati had not yet grasped the ability to communicate extensively, but he had always tried and they had always felt each other, yet now there was an eerie silence that had nestled between them. Coris could not help but wonder if the bird's loyalty had begun to wane as they endured the winter together, both nearly dying together.

He glanced up nervously at the falcon.

They had been through so much so soon he couldn't imagine or remember a life without the bird, yet he could not blame the hardy and intelligent creature for wanting to abandon such a reckless and wounded beast as he.

Troubled, the unicorn wandered through the woods, seeking healing herbs while the falcon hunted. His form was bare of any accessories today, he had little strength to tote around such weight and had hidden them in the mean time.

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
setting this before earth god thread

Flat teeth ground together with each step the dark mare took. She could not communicate with Eytan and it was eating away at her nerves bit by bit. She had not been able to communicate with the bear using words, but she had been able to see the pictures he sent her and feel his emotions. He had been able to feel her emotions and know what she was feeling or what she wanted, but now there was nothing but an empty void. She almost felt as if she had lost her other half and it was a very, very uncomfortable feeling.

Even though he knew that she didn't like it, Eytan ran ahead of her as she moved through the woods. Thankfully he was never quiet when he ran so she was easily able to hear him and track him down. It didn't stop that nagging fear she held now, though. With their lack of communication how would she know if something happened to him or if he was in trouble. How would she know exactly where he was and who was there with him?

Eytan's noises stopped, which made Ktulu tense. Her own pace picked up as she trotted through the forest none too quietly. When she finally happened upon her bear she saw what had forced him to stop. A large stallion and his bird were moving through the forest and for whatever unknown reason Eytan trembled and hid behind her forelegs. It was quite unlike the cub, but Ktulu would wonder on that later.

"You there!" She called to the stallion, her voice filled with authority and protectiveness. "Who do you search for?" She asked, as she knew of no one aside from herself that would wander the forest for no good reason. She might have wondered if Ophelia had sent him to her, but her dear sister had lost all of her memories.

Icon by Tay

Unregistered

A strong voice cut through the clearing just as Coris had bent down to grasp what he thought might be a mushroom he recalled being a fever-reducer. He froze instantly. Part of him wondered if fate had sent the voice, because some splinter in his conscious felt the mushroom was not the one he sought.

He was not an herbalist. What knowledge he had was limited and hazy.

Cautiously Coris began to turn his head to the side, deliberately slow least any sudden moves incite more anger from this... ah a mare. His eyes appraised her when at last she flooded his line of site. A pale horn sprung from her skull, drenched in red that Coris thought must be blood. Her coat was dark and ornamented with gold, her eyes furious and shadowed with thoughts he assumed must be troubled.

The muted amber of Coris' gaze narrowed as it fell upon the bear cub at her side. He was reminded all too well of his current situation being a product of such an animal, although arguably of more considerable size and might and forced into action by his own horn, but such details mattered little to a hollowed beast as he. It seemed to cower at her limbs and he disregarded it easily with such weakness. It's pelt would be insignificant and he wasn't in the market anyway.

Besides, he knew easily enough now, it was her companion.

Coris considered himself an honorable stallion with values to uphold and the taking of someone's companion he wouldn't do so needlessly. He wondered if the affliction with Venati also affected this mare and her cub. Coris doubted it, his bird was probably just throwing a temper.

"No one," Coris responds evenly. He keeps it simple, weary of such a hostile figure in a land that belongs to none with a body ill kept for defending itself. He wishes to ask her who she is to demand such things, but he bites his tongue in his better interest. He would like to think himself more wise than prideful, if only it could always be the case. "I'm looking for foliage that will help me heal." He would not normally admit such so freely, but he thought his state of weakness already apparent; there'd be little use in hiding the known. "I apologize if I intruded," Coris began, tail flicking patiently at his side as he regarded her with an apologetic smile. It was my understanding these woods belonged to no horse."

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

"I see. You need healing, then." She observed as she looked at the stallion's gaunt figure. He certainly looked as if he had seen much better days, but there was little that she could do to help him with his healing. She was not made for healing, only for hurting. There were, however, those within her and Phi's band of mercenaries that could be of some use if the so desired it.

"Your understanding is correct, somewhat. I call this forest my home and I will protect it accordingly." Ktulu lifted a hoof and pushed Eytan from his hiding place, already tired of his cowering and unable to tell him so mentally. She would not tolerate such cowardice in a companion. "This forest also serves as a meeting place for a group that I lead with my sister." The dark mare left it at that, knowing that if the stallion was interested he would ask about the group and would learn of the Grey. Whether or not he would join or become a potential customer was for fate to decide.

"If you are in dire need of healing I can call upon a healer for you." Ktulu offered. Perhaps she would ask Tor to heal him free of any charge just to get word out. A little good publicity never hurt.

Icon by Tay

Unregistered

"At some point, yes," Coris agrees, his eyes wary and his voice just the same. Yet her stance and the tenor to her voice suggests the violent nature she first approached him with has begun to subside. She waived him off as a threat, his hollowed body and obvious lameness no worry line to her brow now that she had a proper look at it. Coris wondered how relaxed he could afford to be with her however, when she was a mare so quick to bare teeth, and with a bear of all things at her side.

Were not many a horse that would call these dreary woods home, least of all for the lack of decorative light or pleasant aromatics - much less a horse would have the gall to bond to a mountain of paws and teeth. Although it was questionable if there was anything about the cub worth fearing. He watched her push it away from her side determinedly, but his interest was from lack of anything better to target.

So it was until her words continued, eager to tell him of things he had little concern for. Were he a more compassionate creature he might consider her motivations for her actions, but Coris is a simple being and he only takes what is given to him. He does not wish to delve into her psyche and figure her out, left pondering her loneliness or defensiveness. Instead he flicks his tail idly, making easy chatter as he continues to play nice for the fate of his existence.

Truth be told, he is lonely, and of need, so it proves not so difficult to hold her company when otherwise it might.

"A group?" he asks with real interest, ears tilting towards her to display as much. "Aren't there already groups though?" he asks, his foreignness obvious now with his ignorance to Helovia and its history and customs on display. "The herds, rather, they are called. I'm sure they could provide you a better home. I know where I live in the Edge is nice," he goes on, his tongue running away with him when he has spent all of winter so quiet.

"Ulrik lives there too, he has such fantastic abilities. I'm sure Mauja would be happy to let you in, although he can be a bit grumpy, I'm sure you two will get along..." Coris trailed off with babble, finally hushed by the scream of Venati as he returned from a hunt, depositing the skin of a rabbit at the feet of Coris. The bird had gotten the hang of removing the pelts neatly and still getting to consume the meat. Though, in the haste of his hunger he'd done a poor job of this one.

Coris made a face at it, unimpressed.
"What a mess Venati..."

The greyed stallion leaned down to hook it on his horn, tossing it with a deft move onto his backside. Although it was small and torn, he could use it for other things that didn't require beauty.

Glancing back over at Ktulu, as if suddenly broken from his distractions, he seemed to remember the last bit she'd said. Feeling more congenial he was calmer, but remained on edge at her willingness to help so easily. "I could certainly use a patch job, but I'm not much in the business of owing favors you see. In fact there's a favor of a different type I'm needing of, though I dare say the healing is more vital... either way I can't go home like this." The this referred to his ruined body in as much as it did his magic-less one. He'd vowed to get his magic soon when he last talked to Mauja, and soon had long passed.