the Rift

Hour of Need [RE, Tor]

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

Morning broke over the golden form laying on the sand. The sunrise was beautiful, casting an array of pastel colors across the sky. Despite the atmosphere's strange shiftings as of late, the land was still as innately lovely as always.

Bronze eyes cast downwards, underneath an outstretched mahogany wing. He'd had the wing curled over the fledgling for the entirety of the night, vigilant to keep it as warm as he could. It was not easy, for his body was held by ice right now, and heat was not something it wanted to give off. Still, the thick plumage of his wing would have provided a good buffer from the wind and cold, and also blocked the chick from scurrying off. He recognized the cold way in which it looked at him, suspicion clear in it's young eyes. It was understandable, for he was only some strange beast to the little eagle now. It could not yet understand that he had saved it's life, burning his own flesh in the process. Part of him had to wonder why in the God's he was laying out here in the middle of the desert with a charred bird. It would have seemed completely ridiculous to most, but Leander was as sure of his actions as always. He would not let an innocent life be taken on his homeland, under his watch. The eagle would surely grow to be a strong, adept creature, if only it could make it. Maybe the gold eyes that stared up at him would one day understand his mind; was this fate's way of giving him strength, a companion that might be able to provide solace that no others could?

Pushing the persistant wonderings from his mind, the LionHeart looked desperately in the distance. He was near the North border of the Throat, far from the center of the herd. There would be no leaving the chick, and carrying it in his mouth in such an injured state was not safe. Blue eyes tense with worry, he let out a deep, urgent bellow. "Help! I need a medic here, please! The loud chords reverberated from his throat, blond fur rippling with the effort. How soon would someone hear his distant plea?

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

There are some moments that are quiet, the kind of quiet you think will live forever only to be shattered a second later. It was one of those days where a horse woke early, Tor was thinking to herself, becoming truly conscious of Birdsong. Indeed, there was a bird chirping in the skies above, a beautiful bird of sky-blue with wings of deep sapphires, eyes of bold midnight and small gray feet. "Hello there little one," A warm, silky voice called to it. But this voice was not the silk of a viper's voice- it was true velvet, filled with genuine love today. The sky-bird flitted in place for a moment, wings beating rapidly to hold its tiny body aloft, before it whisked itself away in a gust of wind, back among the treetops of the Deep Forest.

Tor was walking on the fine line between forest and desert, careful to remain not a step within the Throat, in case of an angry guard, but curious as to see progress on the wall a giant snake was building. It would be quite a formidable defense, when completed. The mare sighed, ears still fluffy from the winter brisk tipping forward to listen silently for any sign of life around her. Ophelia is who she was hoping for. You see, Tor had found, moments before Vermillion had shown himself, an amulet in the sparkling cave among the cliffs. It had been tucked away in a corner, this amulet. It was green, a lustrous forest green, with one or two veins of gold. Luckily for Tor, she had found it with a leather necklace attached, and with a little difficulty, she had managed to slip it over her head.

Fortunately for Tor's dear friend Ophelia, the draft mare did not feel the need to keep it, and so had decided as soon as she next came across the Gray leader, she would give the amulet to her. On the other hand, she had had no such luck, hence the lurking around the Deep Forest and watching the herds.

But returning to the matter of interest- the early-morning silence was shattered by a call for a medic. A call for help. There was no debate for Tor. Not one shred of doubt nor worry the victim may be surrounded by enemies. And so the mare ran, appearing out of the shadows of the solemn trees, ran as fleet-footed and light-stepping as she could, towards the plea. A mane of soft white whispered to the wind as she moved, her tail snapping in the wind. The draft made a regal sight, even despite her mixture of hairiness and sleekness, the awkward blend that comes with Birdsong and the melt. She slowed, trademark brown eyes taking in the scene with an expert ease. A massive pegasus- perhaps even a little larger than her, sheltering a delicate bird.

"Tor, wandering healer." The words were simple and honest. Normally, the mare did not feel the need for long titles or explanations. "Keep the bird under your wing, sir, and I must say that you should take rather better care of yourself as opposed to getting burned." A puff of air drifted from her gray lips as she knelt down next to them. "Do you want me to heal you first or the bird first?"

T O R

Image Credit [Bottom of Page]
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

For a few agonizing moments, his shout echoed empty across the desert. There was no reply, no sign that anyone had heard him. Leander's heart dropped, worry rising. Then, suddenly, heavy hoofbeats began to thrum in the distance.
Pale orbs flashed towards the sounds. An angelic, ivory and grey form, was dashing towards them. She was of draft blood as he, but her line seemed to have given her the thickest of white locks. There was no time to wonder of the mare's true intentions as she crossed the border into the Throat. She had to have heard his call.

Soon the heavily feathered lady was beside them, quickly introducing herself and commenting on the situation. It was almost shocking; she seemed as though she'd been an expert healer for many years, as if seeing a half burnt chick and pegasus lying together was nothing new. With concern in his eyes, the LionHeart gestured immediately towards the fledgling. "Heal the chick, please. I am in no pain." He spoke briskly, unknowing that the flames had seared areas of his legs, chest, and lower face. He must have looked like some monster, with his unnatural blue eyes and raw patches of bald, burnt skin. "The chick was in a burning tree, the only way I could save it was by flying up and grabbing it." He tried to explain the situation, but it was unlikely that the wandering healer would understand such lunacy. He would repay this Tor someday, whether it be with protection or a gift of some sort, he did not know. Anyone who was kind enough to go out of their way to help the injured was friend enough for him. "Thank you for coming to our aid, Tor. I am Leander, one of the leaders of the Throat."

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

His eyes were blue. Ice blue. So incredibly pale, so seemingly cold and emotionless for a second. Tor shook her head firmly, and the emptiness was replaced by a note of desperation in those sky depths. There wasn't new for her to learn here- burns she had done, bones... that might be a touch more difficult. But it was a bird, a small thing, a smaller target to stitch together. How is he not in pain? The draft wondered, looking at his burns. Livid pink flesh was a sharp line to his soft golden hair, the scorched areas largest on his chest and lower face as well as legs. Ouch. "Burns like that should hurt, pegasus, unless you have burned all your nerves," Tor replies, confident in her knowledge. Yes, if the damage was very severe, you would feel no pain at all. And yet, his burns did not seem that bad- awful, surely, but not pain-killing.

Yet the draft's eyes softened as he spoke of saving the chick. That deserved something in those brown eyes. "Kindness is stronger than any intimidation," She says quietly. Do not keep the chick waiting, Tor. Sand drifts from her golden hooves as she steps closer, lowering her head to the chick. Only dimly does his name click into place inside her mind as she calls upon the magic gifted to her by the Earth God. The smell of earth permeates the air- warm, moist earth, the smell of a forest, conjuring images of an deep wood filled with sparkling motes of dust and light. There is the usual tug of energy at her gut as the magic attempts to reach out to Leander the LionHeart. "Your name is well-deserved, Leander the Lionheart, if you are courageous enough to fly into the burning trees to save a youngling."

The bird would need food and herbs, as well as the pegasus. "I would suggest feeding the hatchling lavender. I do not know how well it will work with other species, but it is meant to soothe and restore among other uses. As for you, Leander, honey for your throat should work. I assume, like most, your lungs are suffering from ashes and fumes." Tor withdrew slightly, not wishing to intrude upon their space. Uncertain if she should remain or leave, she awaited a response.

T O R

Image Credit [Bottom of Page]
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

Burns like that should hurt, pegasus, unless you have burned all your nerves,
What could he do but nod to the healer's truth? How could he explain to her about the snow beast he fought, the blue orb of it's soul that had sunk into his skull? Looking up towards the doe's ivory face with a conflicted expression, he decided to try. Maybe she would know how to help him. "My sense of touch has been almost nonexistent lately. My eyes have turned blue, I only hunger for snow, and my skin is cold, no matter how long I stand in the sun. You are a skilled healer; will you keep your patient's information confidential?" Frosted eyes narrowed beneath a cocked brow, ready to gauge her reaction.
Interrupting his worried thoughts, the warm scent of earth seemed to rise, and his gaze grew intrigued at the lady's magic while she worked to heal the ailing chick. Where did this mare come from? Surely such a skilled equine did not roam the wilderness with no group or family? Where ever she originated, the palomino was extremely glad of her help. This was a start, and a good one at that. He would care for the fledgling, even if it mean hunting meat for it.

Suddenly the strange pulse of magic began to strike him, and he could feel the dull ebb of it's touch just beyond his faded senses. As the magic seemed to have completed it's work, he looked back up to Tor's face. He had been distracted by the effects of her magic, but he had not missed her kind words. Maybe not everyone would think him crazy for saving the chick after all. "I could not let it die." He spoke softly, cerulean pools drifting down towards the newly healed eagle. Tor was right; it would need food, and herbs to help it gain strength. He would have to keep an eye on himself as well, for if his lungs gave out there would be more than a young bird left in need. Drawing in a deep breath, he pulled himself to his feet, wing curling to cup the small eagle in it's downy feathers as he rose. "I must repay you for your help, Tor the wandering healer." He said with a grateful smile. "If you seek shelter, or protection, you are welcome to take refuge in the Throat whenever you have need. And if you are threatened out there in the wilds, I will be glad to aid you." A promise lay in his honest gaze as it rested upon the seraph's feathered form.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Eager and thankful, the chick begins to squawk and ruffle its newly fixed feathers. It does not protest when you wrap it in your feathers, and instead grabs onto them playfully as it tries to climb up to your back. All trace of its fear is gone with the pain, and it settles against your cool skin to rest at last. Lavender will heal what little wounds remain, but his heart is content, and that is the greatest thing that you could have done for the lost child.

Congratulations, Leander! The Golden Eagle is now bonded and yours to play!

The hatchling is two months old, and will not require hunting for as you have already cared for it so much. Though the bond has formed, you will not be able to share emotions until the end of Birdsong as a result of the eclipse. Care for the eagle well, you have proven your worth.

Hidden Account
Epona
[ooc: Yay!! :D Does the chick have a pre-assigned gender, or can I go ahead and pick a gender and name for the little one? ]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
[[They are both up to you- just message an admin so they can update it for you.]]