the Rift

All I ever wanted. [Kou, Any]

Shuler Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Shuler
“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

Dusk is one of his favorite times of the day. The sun casts long shadows that stretch their way across the earth in twisted, darkened tendrils, like fingers clawing hungrily at the last rays of light. The earth seems to be temporarily suspended in a world of shade, leaving the imagination to its devices at the approaching darkness. All your unprecedented fears and worst nightmares turn into something more of reality when you watch the shadows dance uncontrollable and wild across the earth.

It is in the darkness that Shuler finds he exists entirely.

The golden unicorn studies his surroundings from his perch within one of the many caves that riddle and litter the side of the mountains that surround his new home here in the Aurora Basin. He would commit to memory every nook, cranny, game trail and hiding spot he could find. Queen Psyche would expect nothing less, and he would accept nothing less from himself. Liquid brown eyes observe the land below diligently, their golden flecks reflected by the light thrown across the land by the setting sun. His legs, black as the shadows that encase him, fade and mix into the gloom. Shuler is for the most part obscured by his darkening surroundings, hidden, just as he would like.

It is hunger that drives Shuler from the safety of his cave. He begins picking his way carefully down toward the valley center, where green grass has started to sprout and the welcoming hot springs lay in wait. Though Birdsong has begun, the Basin still remains entrapped in its own chill, and ice covers the rocky surfaces he must traverse in order to reach the bottom. The young stallion is no stranger to danger and hazard though, and with adept skill he navigates his way past rocky outcrops and ridges laced with treacherous ice that would have caught the unsuspecting and sent them tumbling to their deaths.

His knowledge of the surrounding Helovian lands, and his proficient abilities to lie and manipulate those around him, were just some of the things that made Shuler valuable to Psyche and her Plague. Though he had yet to formally converse with the mare outside his pledge of allegiance, he knew her scheming, power driven agenda suited him. It gave him a purpose, and given his analysis of Psyche’s nature he highly doubted that his usefulness as a spy and informant would ever go unwanted. A sigh of accomplishment slips past parted lips as he reaches the valley floor, along with the silver ghost of his breath on the frosty air. Like a specter he moves toward the hot spring, fluid and cat like through the night, the last blood red rays of sunlight reaching in desperation from behind the mountains to the west.

Satisfaction. It hovered in his mind and sent a pleasant hum thrumming through his thoughts as he went. For so long Shuler had felt lost and uncertain as to which path he was meant to take. Helovia had called him home from his travels, Muaja had shown him the way, and here he was. The slender, leggy stallion trotted briskly, purposefully through the dark, taking note of his surroundings as he went. His head bobbed in time with his stride, black, barbed horn atop his brow. Satisfaction yes, but there was still more to be had, more to be discovered, more to want. And he would have it, all in due time.

Rapha Posts: N/A
Unregistered

BACCHUS
the good guys never win

Life is not fair, and Bacchus has learned that from the beginning. He moved in silent, quick steps, head low, ready for punishment to come bearing down on him for any side, ears tipped back in a submissive posture. In a way, he looked almost unnatural, eyes surveying the varying conditions of life below him, shifting from snow to sod to fresh green grass springing up in silence from the ground, dew-wet blades piercing the air, shivering in delight. Big, wet, doe-eyes the equine had.

Although at first glance, a unicorn of the Plague may begin to bristle, upon closer arrival you would notice the strong scent of Snö clinging to the dun's skin, and the thick Aurora Basin scent, the scent of frost and the imagination of 'time smell'. You would relax, seeing the small stallion's worried posture with eyes brown and slightly sad as well as fearful. You would realize he was the Aurora Basin's slave- the only slave, but only for now.

Ready to serve his lady Snö, and free to wander the Basin, like the tan unicorn a few feet away Bacchus had come seeking grass to eat in relative safety away from unicorn eyes. Upon the sight of the slender unicorn, he shivered, and dropped his head immediately, teeth grinding swiftly to crush the grass. He did not speak right away, for a slave will not speak unless spoken to, but should the unicorn address him, respond he would.

"Sir unicorn, sir," He mutters, ears twitching fearfully. Any of high ranking would go without a word, but as Bacchus did not know this 'Shuler' he felt it best to show he (yes, the pathetic-looking boy) was not a threat and here in permission.

[OOC: I hope it's okay I threw Bacchus in here before Kou! He needs someone to meet]

[Image: bacchus_by_ladyfey-d5jbta3.png]

Unregistered

Shuler
“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

Shuler catches wind of the stranger before he sees him. Part of the scent is familiar, it reminds him of Psyche in some ways, but he would be daft to think it was her knowing she was currently being held in the Dragons Throat against her will. His lolling gait eases to a slow, unhurried stop once the small equine comes into view, and instinctively Shuler’s eyes narrow in instant suspicion. With a quick study of the small creature the phantom can surmise that he is of no immediate threat. However, his ever waxing curiosity cannot help but wonder why any of his herd mates had let the scrawny individual through the pass and into the basin. Shuler assumes the smell of familiarity that hangs and saturates the air around him might be an indication that he does belong here, for some rhyme or reason he has yet to hear of. Black tipped ears flip forward to catch the whispers of a mutter that slither past the equines nervous lips, and a pleasant feeling of satisfaction settles in Shuler’s chest at the look of reverently instilled fear that dances across the tiny horse’s eyes at his presence.

“Greetings,” Shuler’s voice is laced with nothing but good intentions, betraying no hint of emotion, his very best mask of ambiguity in place, “You seem familiar, albeit out of place, but I’m afraid I cannot recall your name. I am Shuler.”

Ask questions first, act later. If this small, fear struck equine had no business being in the Aurora Basin, Shuler would see that he was removed accordingly. But first he would make sure there wasn’t anything he needed to hear first before doing so. The opportunities for garnering information were endless, and he would leave no rock unturned or trail undiscovered. Any information, whether it be from Lady Psyche herself, or this lowly equine, was valuable. Information led to knowledge. And knowledge, above all things, was the ultimate power. In an attempt to create a false sense of comfort for the flighty horse, Shuler put on an air of bored indifference, allowing himself to snag a few blades of grass with a quick snap of his teeth. It was something he could have done in a few words, a simple lie, allowing his magic to work his way into this other stallion’s mind, but Shuler preferred to let his natural talent shine.

The dun unicorn’s barbed horn whisked across the tips of the tallest blades that had stretched their way out of the once frosty Aurora Basin soil as he continued to pick at what the earth had to offer, gilded brown eyes bright with intrigue, and the gears in his head shifting, ready to play the game he knew so well.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
[Image: darttable2.png]

d'ARTAGNAN the NIGHTSHADE

"Does he really need a name?"

d'Artagnan the red nosed reindeer approached the pair, a dry amusement in his voice as he answered Shuler's unspoken question with another question. Bacchus was Snö's little naked pet, the shade knew him to look at but had never spoke to the boy. He never had need to and it wasn't a common trait for him to take up idle conversation. The other he knew less, his muddy appearance only a distant memory from their first herd meeting, the Mender never was too observant of others around him. Always too distracted or bored, another vice on top of many vices. He approached the pair in a similar fashion, a rather lazy walk and a mind off on it's own adventure, only a flicker of a glance to the other two. Body siding up near the golden, leggy boy and sharing in his munching of grass. Lips twisting absently as he chewed.

Earlier he had been investigating one of their new caves, checking its properties and whether it would be useful for anything else other than shelter. Apparently not and the shade had soon lost interest and found himself wondering. Maybe he'd take a trip to the Threshold later that day, it seemed he should have lots to do with Psyche not here and the herd apparently left in the charge of himself and Deimos. Kou liked time to do her own things as too did d'Artagnan, the only problem was days like this. When one had nothing to do and even tempory charge of a herd couldn't cure it.

Instead he spent it with these unlikely pair. A slave and a unicorn, with Bird Song's sweet grass.

h e l l can't handle all of us

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Unregistered

BACCHUS
the good guys never win

Bacchus recoiled at the sound of a voice speaking to him. Speaking to him! And not unpleasantly either. In fact, rather nicely. He glanced fearfully at the unicorn, whites of his eyes exposed for a moment, before the disappeared.

"I'm Rapha, sir." And then another unicorn appeared! Why does he need a name? The equine stifled a whimper, ears flopping limply to either side of his head like some sort of donkey's. Moving a few feet away, Rapha began nibbling at the grass, nervous bites, hoping for few questions to disrupt him. Not only did he dislike attention, he feared not being able to give answers, or giving too many answers, making his Snö angry. On second thought, maybe if he said that the unicorns would leave him alone. "I'm Snö's," Nerves cracked in his voice, the skittish being wary of punishment. What if they attacked him for speaking out of turn?

It was a simple answer that should explain everything in a moment. Or, unless, even worse, they thought he was in love to Snö. They couldn't think that! What if, what if, what if... oh no! What was he doing? Even quicker did Rapha eat, longing more than ever to run away back to Snö, even with her cold voice, back to at Tarak's metal shoulder, knowing he was at least safe from dangerous, wild, glorious, amazing, deadly unicorns all too ready to pierce his heart.

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

KOU        
sometimes the wrong choices bring us to the right places

"Your lack of manners is quite unbecoming, Doctor." Kou purred as she approached the mismatched trio. She sidled up close to d'Artagnan, allowing her body to brush against his in a very familiar manner. "But then anything else would just be completely unlike you and you would have me worry." The pale mare smiled then looked at the equine as he introduced himself as Rapha. Snö's little slave. "I am Kou." she said to the slave politely. She may have thought him beneath her, but she had always had manners and always practiced them even with the lesser species.

The nurse's light blue gaze then drifted over to the other stallion. "Shuler." she said in greeting, having remembered him because they had both been accepted into the Plague around the same time. "I see you've finally come out of hiding to join us. Welcome back to the world." Kou had not thought much of Shuler's absence much like she did not think much of the absence of some of the Plague's other members, or more importantly, certain leaders.

"."

Unregistered
[Image: shulertable.png]

The best lies about me are the ones I told

”Does he really need a name?”

The words of a stranger, following the fearful horse’s stuttering utterance of his name. causedShuler to raise his head from his nonchalant pickings of the basin’s still young Birdsong grass. The dun unicorn instantly recognizes the blood bay stallion, he had watched him approach Psyche at the gathered of the herd several days before, but he had yet to come to know his name. Shuler dips his head in respectful salutation, a dark hint of a smile lingering in the depths of his cold, gold eyes at. It seemed that d’Artagnan had no qualms about speaking his mind, and his distaste for the lesser, unfortunate equine was evidently apparent. Unbothered to say anything else right away Shuler continued to snatch up grass at a leisurely pace, standing beside the red nosed, oddly antlered unicorn as if they had done it many, many times before.

Snö, the name was all it took for Shuler to make the connection as to why this Rapha character had seemed so familiar. Shuler knew of Psyche’s daughter, and remembered vividly of when the black mare had fled in foal. He chewed thoughtfully on the slender, tender strands of grass, eyeing the horse with unwavering, if somewhat unnerving indifference. How fun, the Dark Empress’ daughter had acquired herself a fine little toy. Shuler almost felt sorry for him, at the nervous way he conducted himself and the perpetual state of fear that seemed to haunt the little horse’s ever move and breath. Almost. Raising his head and flicking his tail idly, he glanced back at the bay, just as another familiar face appeared beside him.

“Fairest Kou,” Shuler rumbled with pleasant surprise, “Yes, as much as I like to keep to myself, I suppose my return was somewhat inevitable. I am being quite sociable in fact, as you can see, making friends as it were.”

Though he spoke with genuine humor, there was more truth to Shuler’s words than typically present. He watched Rapha as he spoke, half wondering why the lowly boy was out wandering on his own, and if princess Snö knew of his absence, not that it mattered to him. It would be unfortunate though if the poor, groveling equine ended up subject to punishment, his spirit certainly seemed beaten and broken enough. Ever observant the golden stallion took note of the manner in which Kou lingered by the bay, her proximity hinting at something more advanced than just familiarity. Shuler’s gaze once more lingered on d’Artagnan, curiosity causing his eyes to linger longer than appropriate as the gears and thoughts began working and whirring and spinning through his head.

“If you would be so kind, Kou,” Shuler gestured to d’Art with a swing of his horned head. “Do introduce me to your friend.”

[Image: shulertable2.png]

The slave spoke of Rapha being his name, which d'Artagnan barely heard as thoughts we're whisked away down the alley of poison and death. Thinking about all the new possibilities of finding more murderous roots, stems, leaves and flower heads to do his bidding. The dun said nothing and carried on eating and they all stood in relative silence for a while until his tricky Nurse turned up. The shade raising a brow and inwardly noting that this time she had followed him, saving the piece of information for future conversations. Her words came with soft feminine tones to which d'Art grunted as she pointed out his sore lack in manners, snatching up another clump of grass apparently unperturbed. Pitch tail flicking from side to side.

It was then the leggy boy of wood colouring spoke in answering to Kou's question, finally the Doctor's ears twitching with curiosity. Eyes flickering between them with an unspoken question; how did they know each other? Was he just not paying attention? Most likely. A piece of grass sat idly in his mouth, sticking out through grey lips as they spoke to one another. The Nightshade wondered why this Shuler had been in hiding, what was he hiding from? Blank and comprehending was his expression when the boy turned to him, d'Artagnan's pools lowering to a glower. Who the fuck is he staring at?

It was then his face contorted into one of offence when he was idly gestured to. The red fling his head into the air and snorted, finishing of the spare bit of grass in his mouth. Feeling it's juices run down his throat. "I am d'Artagnan the Nightshade, your Time Mender." He huffed out, a trifle hurt that he wasn't better known among peers, (not that he could talk). To which he then threw a glace at Kou, "Kou is my Nurse." Tones stressing his claim to her and with that he gruffly returned to eating. Flicking his tail in mild annoyance.

filled with rage

Unregistered

BACCHUS
the good guys never win

The mare is pretty. Not as pretty as Snö, but all fine and white-horned. Her words are pretty too- she throws a bone to the dog, and he pounces on it with a wag of his tail. Eyes turn upwards adoringly to her, to her beauty and kindness. She has a servant to use, for surely Snö must like this pretty mare Kou as well. A smile curls his lips, and for once he looks up shyly to her eyes, before turning away nervously.

Unfortunately, grouchy-pants-glass-horn is not so kind, and the tan-boy ignores him, turning his attention to those more worthy of it. Unicorns. Why couldn't he have a horn on his brow? He was worthless. Useless. Nobody loved him. Unicorns were glorious and enchanting, but he wasn't.

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali

KOU        
sometimes the wrong choices bring us to the right places

Kou laughed quietly as Shuler said that he had been being sociable and making friends. "I see that you were attempting." She smiled and flicked her tail against the doctor in a small gesture to show that she had not already forgotten that he was there. "Unfortunately my doctor doesn't make friends too easily, but once you become his friend he's quite squishy and adorable." She giggled and turned her head toward the red stallion to see the expression on his face.

"He's also quite possessive." She added when he claimed her as his nurse. It sent a shiver through her that was hard for her to hide. In the end she just shook it off and turned her attention back to Shuler. He requested to be introduced and Kou nodded. "Shuler this is d'Artagnan the Time Mender. d'Art, sweetheart, this is Shuler. Mauja brought is both in at the same time. If I'm not mistaken," She said as she glanced back at the slender stallion. "You took on a stealth position?"

Unregistered
[Image: shulertable.png]

The best lies about me are the ones I told

“Unfortunately my doctor doesn't make friends too easily, but once you become his friend he's quite squishy and adorable. He's also quite possessive."

Obviously D’Artagnan had no qualms about introducing himself, the blood bay kept a possessive watch and even more possessive position in relation to the dappled gray mare. Shuler tipped his head in a respectful curl, his short, black fore lock swinging at the edges of his amber eyes, shadowing the mirthful amusement there at Kou’s description of D’Artagnan’s more… friendly side. Assumptions lead the golden stallion to believe that the good doctor would not appreciate such frilly, soft adjectives being used to describe his demeanor, but even the dun would admit that Kou’s affections were evident and well meant. Shuler did not linger on Kou’s choice of words any longer than necessary, but rather turned his attention to her question, nodding thoughtfully in affirmation.

"Ineed.” He mused, "I’ve often traversed from place to place without any real purpose, but Psyche has offered an opportunity for the knowledge I’ve gleaned to be… put to good use.”

It was true. If Shuler had to define himself, he was more of a wander, a nomad of sorts, at heart. His legs were built for endurance, long, endless miles of trotting over the rocky, rugged and endless landscape that Helovia had to offer. Ever since his youth he had done just that, explored the wilderness, observed the creatures and individuals it offered him, and learned what he could use for his own devices in the process. He was well versed in manipulation, perfectly capable of acting if required, and lying and dishonesty were as natural to him as breathing. It was his analytical mind that allowed him to remember everything he saw, every face and every name that went with it, and with the Plague now settled here in the Basin, he could finally put all the data collected and material stored and locked away to work.

All for the greater good, of course, for the empowerment and betterment of the unicorn race. Shuler glanced at the equine who still lingered in his presence, and for once his scorn was unabashed and unhidden. He was surprised Pysche’s daughter had not retrieved her toy from their midst.

[Image: shulertable2.png]

Unregistered
[Rapha essentially just watches on all humbly. There isn't much for me to say with him. Go ahead and skip!]

d'Artagnan twitched noticeably to Kou's comment. Ears flickering with his face turning from confusion to shock and back to his normal grumpy show. Dual eyes looking and narrowing at his Nurse before he flicked his head into the air in an overt show of dignity whilst his mind worried over the word 'squishy'. What does she mean by that? Squishy? I don't... Squish well and truly confounded, the shade did his best to clear his mind so he didn't turn into more of an idiot in front of his herd mates. He grunted when she called him possessive, he couldn't really argue with that, but it wasn't really like his pale love could talk either. Flaunting her claim over him was almost like her favourite hobby alongside the embarrassing comments.

More introductions followed and d'Artagnan nodded once in acknowledgment, noting the name and cramming it into his mind. Forever their herd increased and the shade was finding it increasingly hard to remember all their names. Either that or he was going senile. He noted the position as well and listened to the amber stud as he told the short story of how he got the position. The look he gave Rapha increased d'Artagnan's approval of him and finally he spoke, gathering what was left of his wits and trying to speak before Kou got her little comments in again. "It must be a wonderful thing to creep around unnoticed. It never quite worked for me" the latter said off handily as he remembered being a prisoner of the Dragons Throat. Rendered useless in the invasion. However, it told d'Artagnan one thing, his name was known throughout Helovia and they feared him enough to take him out the battle. Next time they won't be so lucky.

The shade sighed and turned a dark look on the slave, wondering where Sno was and why her little pet was hanging around unwanted. "Are you still here?" He said, as if surprised the slave had stuck around, the shade didn't like being near those without a horn. It filled him with the need to kill, with anger and cold madness.

filled with rage