the Rift

Plauged with Stripes [Plague/Open]

Farai Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Farai
The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

"Mother! Mother, are you there!"

A tiny voice called out, her voice swept from her black maw by the cold breeze that still plagued the Threshold. Tiny blue eyes swelled with tears, looking through the labyrinth of trees before her. She waited for the vision of her mother that she would never see again. But even then, the memory of her mother kissed her mind, like a dream she had just woken from. It slowly faded from her in wisps of smoke.

Farai was an exotic specimen. Across her coat lay thick stripes switching from white, to black, to white again. Small bones were visible under her stunning coat, prompting any passerby's to the assumption she hadn't been eating well, if at all. The only hint she had that would give insight to her past was the unusual ribbon that wrapped tight around most of her tail, it's vivid blue matching her eyes. Scents clung to the ribbon, mainly a scent that she didn't recognize but would be apparent to a keen nose - the lingering scent of death. It was almost faded, barely kissing the blue. In another day's time it would be gone, and with it the only bit of her past she clung to. Her mind was blank. She couldn't remember the gypsies that had raised her to this point. Couldn't recall the other foals she had played with in the snow of frostfall, or the faces she had first seen upon entering this world. The only thing she remembered was her mother, and even that was fading fast.

The small zebra filly kept wandering. Her voice was growing frantic as the night began to close in once again. It had been many days since she had been in the safe harbor of a herd. She had remained lucky, as she hadn't been plucked from the forest by a predator. Yet. But deep in her mind, her instincts urged her on to find shelter for the night. Her aching stomach urged her to find food, fresh water. But she was alone. She had yet to learn how to fully take care of herself. "Mother!" She called out again, cowering under the weight of her own fear. She prayed her mother would find her before something else did.

"blah blah blah."

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

The dappled-one's blood boiled in dormant anger as the trembling beast loped through the underbrush of the thresholded forest he had first trespassed upon in these lands. When he first entered this fated land, he was ignorant and kind; willing to bow his head in respect to any pile of horseflesh that happened to speak honeyed words to the boy. Now, he was still kind, sure, but it was a conditional sort of kindness. It was discerning now; he had learned first-hand the dangers of dealing with Hornless Ones, how vicious and absurd they were in this land. He had dealt with them before, but for some reason within the boundaries of THIS territory, they acted with the same indifferent crudeness akin to wolves and other vermin. They were to be shunned, and--at least one of them-- destined to be exterminated.

Sin snorted suddenly in his anger; it was very much unlike him to be so impassioned this way. He was a studious sort and not one to be enslaved by his emotions; very rarely he was stirred shaken like this, but now he was shaken, and he was in the curious position of being unable to rid himself from it. The memory of that horrid creature who had the gall to attack him still got him riled; the thought of that strange filly with the gorgeous wings saddened him, for the specimen had escaped and he was completely enamored with her wings. If only he had managed to convince her to stay...to get her to spread those awesome appendages...to stomp upon her shins and split them, to pierce the crook of her coronet, leaving her incapacitated and unable to run....She might have screamed in agony from that....what a beautiful sound it would have been...

*"Mother! Mother, are you there!"*

Sin's eyes widened; he cocked his ears forward, catching a most piteous squeal coming from the depths of the forest. He paused, his limbs completely still as he reached forward with his senses and his skills of observation. Most curiously, his anger was gone-- or rather, he was still angry, but the powerful burst of inquiry had shelved his rage into a part of his mind that no longer affected the stallion. Sin delved himself into his scrutiny of the forest around him; with his ears he had heard a small one, most certainly a foaling, calling out with a most frantic tone; with his nose he caught a faint aroma that had eluded him before in his rage, the unmistakable odor of rotted flesh and death; and with his eyes he saw the tiniest of shadows meander betwixt the trees, confused in its gait and slight in its stature.

*"Mother!"*

The pity and compassion cut through Sin's chest like an inflamed knife; he was compelled to come forward, almost against his will.

"You poor thing," he murmured, pacing slowly towards the shadow of a creature. As he came closer, he came to see the interesting coloration of the foaling; white and black angled together like a lightening storm against the pelt of the bony little thing that trembled in his sight. The presence of five tiny horns were visible on the young one's brow, and suddenly Sin felt a compulsion for protection. He knew first hand how the Hornless Ones would treat one of his kind in this forest, and he knew this little one would probably lie dead at the feet of one of those forsaken demons. He couldn't abandon one of his blood.

"You don't need to be afraid," he said soothingly, coaxingly, inching his way closer to the trembling foal and attempting not to frighten her away, "I am a friend...I am here to help you...I will not hurt you..."

Truer words were never spoken.

Unregistered

Farai, eyes still misted with tears, picked at the ground with a tiny silver hoof. She hadn't noticed that another creature had wandered upon her. Atleast, not until he spoke.

"You poor thing," the dark stallion cooed, and Farai's head snapped up. Her entire body became wracked with shudders, and she quivered, frozen, for but a moment. Quickly she spun on her hooves, dancing away. But she wasn't used to the terrain, and she stumbled over a root before diving behind the thick trunk of a tree. Her sides heaved, ears laid back flat against her skull. To her, Zikar-sin was a towering monster who wished to eat her up and spit out her bones. She wanted to scream for her mother, run off to the home she must have come from, but she couldn't. But then, the stallion spoke again, this time his words tender and kind.

Slowly she peeked around the tree, bright blue eyes looking up at him. His monsterous form inched towards her, but his voice urged her to stay. She tenderly stepped from her shelter, still tremoring slightly. She sniffled, her head dropped low but eyes cast up. "Mother," she began, her voice delicate, fragile, barely above a whisper, "Mother always told me to never speak to strangers." She dug a toe into the ground, bashful and nervous. But the young are naive. He said he was there to help, and he would not hurt her. Who was she to distrust him?

WC | 247
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
[[Noella- A Zornicorn is considered a hybrid, as zebras are a species other than unicorn, equine, and pegasus, and Farai displays qualities of both a zebra and a horse. While Farai is allowed to have some zebra markings, in order for you to join with her as she is you would need to acquire a hybrid slot.]]

Stellaluna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
Alright. I'll message an admin account to figure out where the line is between just some markings. Thanks!

Hidden Account
M.E.

A pang of sympathy struck his chest as Sin watched the filly-foal stumble her way out of sight, hiding behind a large tree like a frightened mouse confronted with the silhouette of a forest cat. He refrained from approaching any closer, figuring it was safer to keep away from her now; the best thing at this point was to convince her that he was safe, and to get her to trust him enough to approach him. He listened as the young one hiccuped.

*"Mother...Mother always told me to never speak to strangers."*

Sin's eyes melted and he couldn't help a smile as he watched the foaling's shy antics; he was already falling in love with the adorable young filly. "Your mother taught you well," he said soothingly, lowering his head and letting his voice drop to a gentle whisper, "it's always safest staying with someone you know. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sin, and I'm new to the forest, just like you." He decided to use the his shortened monicker instead of his full title, to make it easier for the foaling to remember. "There now, I'm not so strange anymore, am I? What's your name?"

He watched the little one with calm, friendly eyes, doing his best to remain serene and trying not to startle the poor thing into paralysis. "Where is your mother?" He asked coaxingly, trying to bring the little one out of her shell. "Where are you from? Do you have a herd?" Hopefully asking her these types of questions would calm her to some extent and maybe even help him track down her rightful parent. He couldn't leave this one defenseless during these uncertain, dangerous times.

Unregistered

OOC:: Appearance has been edited, please take a look ^^

Farai watched every movement the stallion made, becoming more comfortable as he spoke. She imprinted a bit, hoping he would invite her along the way. He was bigger than the monsters she had seen, and would be able to chase away the wolves and wild cats that she didn't know the names to. She noticed his eyes grow a bit softer, and she realized that she had forgotten why she was crying in the first place. She slowly stepped out farther, her tail bouncing a bit as she moved. "My mother is very smart!" the filly nodded. "That's a pretty name, Sinny! You are not very strange at all. My name is Farai." Her voice was warm, fizzy. But the next question startled her, and she groped for a memory that she couldn't quite put a hoof on.

"My mother..." she trailed off, turning her head to look where she had come from. "All I remember is waking up under a big tree, and my something smelled funny. I don't know what the smell was." She crinkled her nose, recalling the smell of death that she didn't recognize. "I can't remember what happened before that. I'm sorry, Sinny..." She trailed off, embarrassed she didn't have a better story for her new friend.

"Maybe you have seen my mother? Where do you live?" The filly had questions of her own, bubbling over from days of no one to talk to but the chipmunks.

WC | 252
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Hidden Account
M.E.

Sin's eyes widened slightly, the glossy surfaces of those ice-blue orbs radiant as he heard what the tiny girl had christened him. Sinny. For some reason, the nickname made him almost impossibly happy and giddy; the dappled bastard felt laughter bubbling inside him. He was astonished; who was this foaling to make him feel like this? What sort of powers did she possess? "Farai....What a lovely name," he said truthfully, chancing a step forward in her direction-- lowering his velveteen muzzle, willing her to come closer and give her a comforting touch.

It was one of the most peculiar situations Sin had ever landed himself in. He had been apart of betrayals and battles, of heart-break and war, of disemboweled hopes and bloody, fractured dreams--yet none of these things had proved able to move him. Yet this tiny creature named Farai had done the impossible, and things were starting to stir within his chest as he listened to the small voice confess her own ignorance and confusion. Sin nodded in understanding as she explained the "funny smell" away-- it had taken himself sometime to recognize the cloying scent of death and decay. She would become accustomed to it soon enough, so the dappled stallion didn't press the issue. He believed in a practical education..."Don't worry, Farai, my lady,"Sin said, speaking in soft tones, "Don't apologize to me for not knowing these things. You may indeed learn them in the fullness of time."

*"Maybe you have seen my mother? Where do you live?"*

Sin lifted his head from her for some moments, his eyes misted over in thought. "I don't believe I have seen your mother," he explained contritely, turning his gaze back upon Farai, "As for where I live, well I was just on my way to find out myself. My...my herd has founded themselves a new homeland and I was on my way to see it for myself."It was strange to suddenly voice aloud his greatest hope and treasure; that he suddenly belonged to a herd, a real-live family. His voice suddenly took an a warm, animated tone. "Why don't you come along with me? We may see your mother on the way, and if we don't, I'm sure you'll be more than welcome to stay within our Halls and out of the bitter cold wilderness..." Safe from the wrath of the Hornless, he finished in his mind.

Strange as it was for Sin to show direct concern for the filly's mental well-being-- or indeed, any aspect of her well-being-- he turned on his heel, reaching out with his muzzle to gently tap her on her quarters, taking in her delicate scent that so fittingly entangled itself within the scent of the un-living, encouraging her to follow him as he made his trek to the new motherland of the brotherhood of the Plague..

Unregistered

"Thank you!" She bubbled, leaping forward lightly and rearing up, bumping his muzzle with the tip of her black nose. Her eyes grew warmer, her fear melting away with the passing frostfall. "You're very smart, Sinny. Maybe you can teach me all the things you know!" The filly smiled, shared the enchanting gesture with the stallion. "I love to learn, like the other day, when I was looking for my mother, I watched a squirrel gather berries, and then I followed him around, and he was hiding them! I tried to steal some because I was hungry, but he squeaked and tried to bite my nose." Her soft muzzle twitched, recalling the angry rodent chippering away at her. "I can teach you what I know and you can teach me what you know! Then, we can both be smart!"

The stallion then told her of his new home, where his herd had finally found refuge. Not seeing her mother gave her a small pang in her heart, but even then, she couldn't quite recall why she was looking for her in the first place. When her new friend invited her along, she grew exuberant, dancing on her toes and prancing at his feet. His large head swung down and tapped her, and she leaped forward, glancing up to catch his chilling icy eyes with her sky blue hues. "I would love to come with you, Sinny! I hope they like me." With that, she danced off, never wandering far from his side.

With every step, the last trails of memories she had faded away.

With one last step, her slate was wiped clean, leaving her a daughter of the Plague.

WC | 280
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Hidden Account
M.E.
(OOC: I think that's a rap :D I can go ahead and post in the Plague Basin thread and usher us in there ^^)

Unregistered
::OOC: Works for me. I just need to wait for Farai to be updated so she can post in the Basin. But if you post in the Basin, I'll come right over once her rank is updated. ^^ Thanks!!::