the Rift

Tracking the Silent [Xanthos, Open]

Soren Posts: 47
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 h :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
S O R E N

Soren had never heard the expression "curiousity killed the cat", and if he had, he probably wouldn't have put much credit into it. With dutiful purpose, the sable colt marched the the farthest reaches of the North, carefully following the tracks of the other Unicorns. His meetings with the cruel mares, the red maned lady, and the hurt stallion had left him with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. These Unicorns were not like any others he'd met so far; they seemed angry, secretive, brooding. The two dark females wouldn't even speak to him when he'd approached them. Blue eyes gazed into the distance, spotting the new herd-land amongst the mountain's looming shoulder. Something was afoot, and Soren was ready to see it. He had no fear.

Blacked legs carried him towards the center of the territory, his young gaits far strengthened by the many days trudging through thick snows. Already, his leggy frame was gaining muscle, showing more and more signs of the strong stallion he would become. Soon, he reached a spring, though the water bubbled and steamed like no other liquid he'd ever seen. One forelimb stretched out to test the strange pool, before jerking back out in surprise. It was warm! Furrowed brows adorned his face as he stared quizzically. This place was certainly not at all like the depths of the forest he was born in. A sharp twinge of homesickness ebbed in his chest at the thought. He had strayed far from mother and father this time.

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable
[Image: xanthosprofilepic.png]

Xanthos
I will live for you
before I die

This place was something of an enigma. Although they were still very much in Helovia, it was out of this world, and more beautiful than Xanthos could have ever thought of. At night, the skies were a parade of colors thanks to an aurora borealis, and the grullo could never pry his eyes away from the display. Even in the day time, which it was now, he found himself marvelling at the Basin. The hot springs had been an instant favorite of his, for even standing near it's vicinity brought warmth to the Aurorans. It might have been Birdsong now, but up here in the mountains, it was cursed to always be cold.

As he approached those very springs, the stallion's eyes caught the familiar form of the colt he'd met back in the Steppe. He had not learned the youngster's name back then, but perhaps that would change today. As he approached, a low chuckle escaped his throat as he watched the dun jerk back in surprise. "They're a little different, aren't they?" Xanthos questioned, coming to a halt near the colt's side. "But that doesn't mean that they're dangerous... Quite the opposite, I must say."

With eyes full of mirth, the grullo met the colt's inquisitive blue eyes, admiring the curiousity they held for the world. He could remember a time when he must have been the same, but he did not hail from Helovia, and he knew not what this youngster had already experienced in his young life. "My name is Xanthos," he spoke up then, "If you wouldn't mind me asking, what is yours?"

Adoptable
S O R E N

Suddenly, laughter filled the air. Whipping his head around, Soren spotted the source. It was the same grullo stallion he'd met in the steppe, the one who'd had the gash on his neck. He was glad to see that the grey was alright, but a warm flush of embarrassment washed over him at the stranger's humour. He was a little nervous of the steaming water, but was it really that obvious? Sticking his chin up and his chest out, the colt pulled himself into a dramatically tough stance. "I'm not afraid." He replied, throwing a nonchalant glance across the spring. Bubbles rose forth from it's depths, and he had to fight the urge to jump at the sound. Wearing a forcibly confident smile, blue eyes flicked up to the taller Unicorn.

"Xanthos." Soren tested the strange name out for the first time, remaining silent for a brief moment as he worked to memorize both the name and the face. "My name is Soren. Is this your home, Xanthos? It sure smells like a lot of Unicorns here." He remarked, flicking his half moon tail while looking around the place. There was no sign of others at the moment, but the scent of many strangers lingered all over the herd-land. The boy wondered quietly about the inhabitants, before a realization made his cerulean eyes narrow. "Did those mares leave you alone after all? They were awful. I heard the way they talked to you. Mother wouldn't speak like that to anyone." Young chords rambled on, taking on a hint of certainty as he spoke of his dam. Truthfully, he knew little of her past, but still the foal was sure of her substance. Questions still lingering on his ebon features, Soren kept his sights on the gold eyed stallion. "Why were they being so mean to you, in the first place?"

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable
[Image: xanthosprofilepic.png]

Xanthos
I will live for you
before I die

Foals had always been a curious thing to the grullo. Every one was different in their own way, of course, but at the same time, always seemed to be trying to prove themselves to those older. He knew that at one point, he had been just the same as the little dun standing before him, and tried to act as he would have wanted an adult to at his own age.

The colt's stance brought a smile to his face, and instantly he felt a great deal of respect for the youngster. He could only imagine what kind of stallion he would grow to be in years to come, and deep down, Xanthos hoped that they wouldn't be spent here in the Basin. "Soren, huh?" The stallion spoke then, more of a statement than a question. "But, yes, this is my home. Unfortunately, only unicorns like you and I can call it such." A quick glance was given by the grullo then, assuring that they were otherwise alone before looking back to Soren. If anyone overheard such talk, then Xanthos would surely have another harsh talking to.

Soren seemed to have tuned in on his very thoughts, for his next question had to do with just that. Subconsciously, black-tipped ears tilted back at the thought of the two mares, but he was quick to regain his placid demeanor. He didn't want to frighten the boy with a sudden change in attitude, and when he spoke, his voice was as calm as could be. "Your mother sounds very kind, Soren, as opposed to those two that you saw." As for the reasoning, Xanthos could go into as much detail as he wanted, but he would save this young mind from the finer details of it all. "Well," he began, a thoughtful look crossing his face as he fought to obtain just the right words, "You see, I did something that neither of them quite agree with. They do not beleive that unicorns should find company in those that do not have a horn, such as the equines and the Pegasus. An ideal that I do not agree with."

He paused then, regarding the colt with a curious look. Idly, he wondered just who Soren's mother was, or even his father. Were they even a part of the Basin? For as young as he was, it was surprising to have always spotted him by himself. "Soren..." His voice came again, "Do you think that such things are fair?"

Adoptable
S O R E N

Soren remained remarkably silent as Xanthos went on to answer his questions. Beneath his unspeaking exterior, his mind raced with the new information. Only Unicorns are allowed here? But why? Confusion plastered itself across his visage, blue pools welling with intrigue. Why weren't Pegasus like Yol, or Equines like mother, allowed here? As the grullo went on, he began to understand the situation more and more.

So the black mare and her partner were upset with something Xanthos had done. The colt's brow began to wrinkle, as he though back to the gash on the stallion's neck. Who had hurt him, really? He had not gotten a clear answer back in the steppe, and the dark female certainly seemed mean enough to do such a thing. Xanthos began to speak of the two harpies, and suddenly his jet ears stood even further on end. "Why do they think being around Pegasus or Equines is bad? I've met a Pegasus, and mother doesn't have a horn, and their both good." Soren spoke, his curious gaze growing more concerned. He could not imagine the polite, friendly Unicorn doing anything bad enough to cause those mares to be so mean. Even if they didn't like to be around Pegasus or Equines, why should that matter to Xanthos? He was a rather formidable stallion, after all. Soren was quite positive that if he was grown up as big as Xanthos, he wouldn't let any old mares be mean to him.

"No, that is not fair. It's stupid. Maybe those mares just haven't met any Pegasus or Equines before? If they had, I'm bet they wouldn't think they were so bad." He answered the silver stud, his gaze sure. It was easy for him to assign a reason to such behavior. He was too young to know that there were those who hated for more complex reason, not knowing the idea of supremacy or being 'better' than someone else. They were concepts still foreign to the dappled black, but ones that would likely be learned quickly in this place.