the Rift

Mission Number One [Kou/Open]

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
d'Artagnan entered the foothills, his cloven hooves negotiating the sparse forest neatly. His eyes ever roving, taking in the surroundings, noting vantage points and remembering plants that grew here. The extensive knowledge, granted by the Earth God, ran through his mind. Various exotic concoctions and lists of ingredients filed through his mind, a slow malicious smile forming on his features. The red horse was satisfied with the land so far, it wasn't as bare as the Throat had been and would prove useful for brewing poisons and healing materials. For a moment, he wondered what his sister had found here. He doubted much would trouble her and so far he had been met with no resistance.

A relaxing stride took him on further, smells of different animals entering his nostrils. He pricked his lobes and wondered when someone was going to step out. King Mauja was expecting information from him and d'Artagnan began to run some questions through his head. The stallion had to be precise, more precise than he was last time when travelling to the Throat.

The Doctor carried on, his task firmly in mind.

[Image: arttable.png]

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Kou Posts: 93
Aurora Basin Mare
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 :: 4
ali
[Image: koutable.png]
Kou
Kou was far less critical of the landscape as she followed d'Artagnan into the Foothills. She looked around in wide eyed wonder at the rolling hills, the mountains in the distance, the waterfall. "This place is beautiful." She didn't know if the doctor would agree with her, he kept to himself mostly. She did talk to him but most of the time she felt the need to leave well enough alone unless he spoke to her first.

The mare had trotted a few steps ahead then stopped and turned to her counterpart and watched him. The look of concentration on his face brought an amused smile to her own features. "Relax." She said, her head tilting slightly. "Don't look so grumpy!" And conniving, She wanted to add, but held her tongue out of concern of being overheard. Really, though, the last thing she wanted was for them to be under suspicion because d'Artagnan was so grumpy looking.

Kou stepped toward the doctor and dared to nudge his shoulder. "Come on, I'll race you." She said before turning and galloping off. With the playful act she put on who would ever guess that she and d'Artagnan may have been there for any treacherous reasons?

colourize-stock @ deviantart | prints-of-stock @ deviantart | edlo @ deviantart

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

From the dawn of time, to the end of days
I will have to run, away
I want to feel the pain, and the bitter taste
Of the blood on my lips, again

Paladin burdened by boredom in this relaxing and gentle environment, spent most of his time patrolling the borders of the Foothills, a task he used to perform daily in the Tides. He sorely missed the soft, sugary beaches and the relaxing salt bath after a day of working to clear the shores. Now, he picked his way through rocks and trees at the base of the mountains, though he tried to stay beneath the shade of the trees. The sun was not kind to his darker coat.

Voice and the scent of foreigners caught his senses, and the crimson eyed stallion picked up a four-beated, ground-eating stride. His warrior's training aided him in locating the two rather quickly, and he broke into a proud trot, lifting his jaw into the air. He came to an abrupt halt and stomped a single hoof firmly, staring at the strangers with deep, crimson eyes.

"State your business." He said firmly, glancing between the mare and the stallion. Something about the stallion's demeanor unsettled Paladin, but the mare seemed generally harmless. Still, assuming too much would land one in trouble.

DO YOU FEEL MY PAIN NOW?

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
However Paladin was not the only one to find the duo. Sosltice to spent her days going to and from the Threshold and patroling the borders of the place she had vowed to protect. It was while she was on such a patrol that she smelled them. She had met the King of World's Edge on one of her trips to the Threshold. There was something about him she just didn't like. Granted she had remained cool and calm, some would say pleasent even. However this time as the smell of World's Edge entered her home.... The story could not be the same. Hooves pounded into the grassy landscape as she ran. Her golden and cream pelt seemed to ripple as she moved. Months of training both within Helovia and before when they were in Isilme had started to pay off. The fem had built some muscle like her father, but was still more slender like her mother.

She arrived moments after the once lead of the Tides. She dipped her tiara in respect to him before looking to the two intruders "What business does two smelling of World's Edge have in the Foothills?" Her tone was harsher than normal, hazel eyes seemed to sparkle almost as a dare to the unicorn duo. She held her head high, but not to high. After all a warrior could never be to careful. The stories her mother had told her of the unicorn's horns.... Well Solstice had no desire to be cut by one of them, let alone leave her neck open to such a cut...

The Doctor looked witheringly at Kou. Relax? He scowled a bit more at the word and turned it over in his mind. After a minutes thought and several failed attempts to lighten his guard, d'Artagnan decided he didn't know how to relax and let Kou do it for him instead. One could only be ones self after all. Or so the red believed. His nurse then went on to challenge him, in which d'Art snorted indignantly and watched as she moved off. Moments past as he gazed at her trail of dust to which he frowned at too. Suddenly worried about her safety and not wanting to lose to a mare, he laid his ears back in defiance and powered off after her. The chugging of 17hh's worth of muscle bared down on the little cremello arab and soon he pulled alongside her. A dark muzzle twitched at a retort boiling up until the scent of someone near made him choke on his words.

More dust flew up as he pulled in short and waited for Paladin to approach. The rather large black dun came into his radar, d'Artagnan immediately noted he was of the same species. A large traditional white horn was situated grandly upon his head, complete with intriguing red ends to his mane and tail. A hoof seemed to follow his red trend. Happy to of been met by another unicorn, a rather impressive one at that, the Doctor edged forward in greeting. Maw opened and words were about to pour out until he was cut off once again by another scent. d'Artagnan turned and scowled at the blank space that was soon to be filled by Solstice. I'm going to die of old age at this rate huffing to himself. Delight of finding another like him and Kou slowly began to die inside him as the brightly coloured equine mare appeared. Her tone was harsh and she spoke with a bite that d'Artagnan was chaffing to challenge. Teeth clenched together as he subdued the boiling blood inside him. Stupid equine. Like the Foothills is superior. I shou- thoughts stopped as his eyes turned to Kou again. He knew his Nurse would probably advise calm. Or as she put it, relax. d'Art turned his gaze on her, he made an expression of exasperation and hoped she appreciated his effort.

"Pleasure to meet you. I'm d'Artagnan, Moon Doctor to Worlds Edge. This is Kou, my assistant Nurse." His gruff voice sounded out making a point of ignoring the fact the coloured mare had already pointed this out. He turned slightly to indicate Kou. "We have been sent by our King on neutral terms to gather information on our neighbours" he said carefully, itching to say something about their abruptness. From the pair in front of him, d'Artagnan quickly determined this was probably a mixed herd and not restricted to one species. The first fact he had learned about this land he already greatly disapproved, he held little hope for anything else he and Kou may find.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali
[Image: koutable.png]
Kou
The stallion may not have accepted her challenge right away, but Kou kept up her pace assuming that his pride would eventually force him to accept. What kind of a stallion lost a challenge to a mare? She continued to run, not letting up on her pace and soon she could hear the thundering of hooves behind her. As d'Artagnan pulled up beside her, Kou glanced over at him. The twitch of his muzzle told her that he was either trying not to smile or biting back some comment. More than likely it was the latter.

The sudden slowing and halt of d'Art had Kou doing the same, which was when she caught wind of the unknown unicorn. The nurse moved to stand beside the bigger stallion and waited with him for the other unicorn's arrival. He was an impressive one, she had to admit, when she finally saw him. Black, red, and white, full of rippling muscle and an air about him that made one not want to push their luck. She stood in silence and waited for d'Artagnan to introduce them, but he hesitated. Seconds later she knew why. Another scent was carried on the wind and so she waited along with her doctor.

It was with great displeasure that Kou watched the equine mare approach. She kept a pleasant look on her face, however, and even smiled at the mare. Of course the mare had to ruin it by being hostile and snappy and quite rude. Kou snorted softly and shifted her weight as d'Art began to speak on behalf of the both of them.

"We were also asked by our King to share our knowledge of the healing arts." Kou added on to d'Artagnan's statement. "Of course if we are not welcome here." At that she looked pointedly at the equine before shifting her gaze to Paladin. "We are sure our talents and knowledge would be beneficial to other, more receptive, herds and individuals. We would like, however, to begin our quest here in the Foothills." Kou smiled pleasantly once more at Paladin and Solstice then looked up at d'Artagnan.

colourize-stock @ deviantart | prints-of-stock @ deviantart | edlo @ deviantart

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

An equine mare approached from his flank, and though he was not privy to her name, he recognized her as a strong member of the Foothills. He nodded to her respectfully and then eyed the two strangers with wary, crimson eyes. The stallion was not a diplomat. His leadership at the Tides had told him that much. First and foremost, he was a warrior, and warriors never trusted strangers upon first encounter.

Perhaps Paladin was reading too much into words, but the way the other unicorn stallion disregarded Solstice's words painted him as a racist. If there was one single thing that Paladin could not tolerate, it was racism. Of all the stupid and petty things to hate other being about, the presence of lack of a horn or wings had to be the most stupid. And for some, pathetic reason, this nonsense seemed to run rampant.

The female's facial expressions did not shift when she looked at the equine at his side. Perhaps that was a good sign, or perhaps she was simply a good liar. Healers? This was not an area Paladin was well versed in, and he had no idea who the healer was here in the Foothills. "Spies under the guise of medics." he grunted. "What more will they think of." He stared at the two strangers sternly. "If our healer wants to speak to you about your arts, I see no harm, but if a whiff of intolerance or violence comes from you two, you will have to deal with me," he practically growled.

"Until you have permission from the healer herself, your hooves will remain where they are. I am aware of the fact that the Edge is intolerant of other species; that sentiment is not shared here."

Paladin looked to Solstice softly. "Do you want to fetch the healer? Or would you prefer I go?" he asked.

[OOC: Sorry!]

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
When the unicorn stallion of the Edge spoke, he clearly ignored the fact Sosltice knew damn well and good where they were from. This fact truely pissed the painted mare off, but she kept her cool and did not show it in her body language or facial expressions. The mare at least spoke and directed a short statement about not being welcome.... Well what did they think they would get by just running into the Foothills? For them to roll out a welcome mat or something? Maybe all the invasions in Isilme had made the fem to wery of strangers outside of her herd. Whatever the case may be she wasn't going to trust them so easily. When the unicorn warrior from her herd and asked if she wanted to go fetch the healer and nodded "I don't think they like my presence anyway." smiling, as she could act just as well as she thought they were she said "I shall return" and moved off to go get the healer..... If she could find her.

d'Artagnan listened to Kou as she spoke for the first time. His ears twitched at the thought of sharing anything with another herd, but he must do what the King instructed. I wonder if I tell them daffodil bulbs make you stronger they'll actually eat them... The Doctor amused himself over the fatalities the Foothills would gain if that actually happened. Of course that would put a rather large price on his head, plus the pact he made with the Earth God. Still, the thought tickled his morbid areas. He looked at Paladin then and frowned at him. I was nice! I didn't curse or insult... d'Art was grumbling to himself as he gave Kou a 'I tried' look. The Foothills stallion continued his growling and d'Artagnan felt his blood turn up a few degrees. His stare bored into Paladin as if he was watching an idiot, and for a moment he was sure the bluer of the two eyes he possessed began to twitch.

Teeth grounded together as the other turned to the equine mare, the thought of daffodil bulbs becoming more appealing. Oh would he like to shove a few down the throats of these two. The red stallion swallowed "your girlfriend catches on fast" he motioned to Solstice's retreating body. "I'd scratch my own arse if I didn't fear my hooves moving from this spot... I'm afraid you'd have to do it for me, brother" sarcasm dripped from his every word as he watched Paladin. Apparently satisfied with his retorts for now, d'Artagnan turned innocently to Kou trying to convince her that it wasn't his fault in one look.

His black tail lashed between his legs as d'Art whipped the flies away. Already he wanted to go back home, he did not like this land either. It lacked civility.

filled with rage

Aurora Basin Mare
ali

K O U
Softly she comes
Whispers the breeze with her passing
In secret love she is laughing

Paladin's growled threat made Kou want to roll her eyes, but the mare looked to the doctor instead. "I wasn't aware that the Foothills were so uncivil or lacking in tolerance." She said to the doctor. "It seems as though every good thing we've heard about this land has been nothing more than a lie." His 'I tried' look had made Kou smile and shake her head. "Some cannot be troubled to show any form of courtesy, hospitality, civility, or tolerance doctor." the nurse said. "I never imagined I'd meet a unicorn intolerant of his own kind." She only looked back at Paladin when he spoke of the Edge not allowing other races to live within their borders. He acted as if that were a bad thing. Maybe if he got his head out of his ass he'd be able to see how much better off unicorns were living among their own kind instead of among lower life forms and breeding with them.

"You speak as if you've been to the Edge, lived among us, and know our ways." Her voice remained calm as she spoke to the unicorn who seemed to like trying to insult them. "We may only allow unicorns to live among us, but we have no qualms with those who are passing through. We simply do as you do, warn them against causing any kind of trouble. You, however, seem to think that we're a bunch of monsters and murder anyone not bearing a horn that wanders into our woods, do you not?" Her eyes had lost their softness as she defended her home against the two warriors of the Foothills. "You have no right to accuse us of being intolerant because we choose to live among our own kind, when it is you who is intolerant of our choices."

With that said, Kou lapsed into silence and looked toward the doctor, who had begun to speak. His retort, while humorous, made the mare shake her head. It already seemed as though they were wearing out their welcome and they hadn't even met with the healer of the herd's leader yet. They'd only been met by a warrior who accused them of being spies because he was intolerant of their choices. Typical hypocrite.