scorched earth

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

i don't want to set the world on fire
i just want to start a flame in your heart
for lace-face the rainbow pony <3

Israfel pretends she is a goddess, sitting proudly next to Father in Helovia's pantheon.

With the nub of her antler-horn, barely anything to intimidate, she chases mice and moles and butterflies in the sun-warmed pastures of her home; white legs stained green with chlorophyll from the budding grass. She dances and leaps, although she never plays with the fire she has been blessed with - Mother warned her not to ignite any part of their foggy home; she had led the girl into an ugly, charred clearing, deep into the heart of the hazy green forest. Mother had explained that fire had caused this, and Israfel should never, never play with it, for she could easily cause something like this. The girl, stunned, had begged Mother to tell her what caused it, but Israfel's badgering only earned her a tired look from her dam, so she stopped, although the curiosity still ate - still eats, at her heart.

The business of herding small animals had quickly grown boring, so the demigoddess, pearl-white and radiant beneath the beaming face of her luminous father, stood idly in the field; perhaps she would try to watch the grass grow. She eases herself onto the green vegetation and let her head rest on a bed of cool grass. Dark pupils fixate on a single blade, its color almost lucent as light filters through emerald green. After a few moments of this, however, the demigoddess finds the grass exactly the height she had found it, and tosses her head upwards in exasperation. Yes, the day was glorious - the skies are cloudless, but by the Gods, how boring it is here! She untangles the mess of her toothpick legs and stands up without trouble, pink lips pressed into a delicate pout as she surveys her options.

She could explore Helovia, although Mother had told her to stay close to the Edge for today, afraid that her vagabond daughter would stray too far and get lost. Israfel snorts indignantly; how can a daughter, guided by the gaze of her heavenly father, get lost in a world of his creation, which is therefore her's to explore? Her gaze flicks to the sea which seems to swallow the sky in its enormity. Perhaps could try to find a path down to the ocean and play with crabs? Or she could find Mother and help her with the duties of her healing profession. A sigh escapes her lips and flits on the clear noon atmosphere, burdening it with childish boredom.

Suddenly, as if struck by a bolt of lightning, the girl perks up - red-orange eyes wide with epiphany. Haunches push off, and she delves into the hazy forest, falling deeper and deeper into her arms. She does not slow her hasty amble for a long time, and the forest is so lovely and cool and dark, she cannot help but revel in it, get lost in it - but she will not get lost, not today, for she needs to find something first. Golden cloven hooves dig into the forest floor, clothed with needles and leaves, leaving a serpentine track of disturbed earth. Where is it? Pink nostrils flare, studying the scents of the forest. In all its stillness and stagnancy, the air is not very revealing of its contents, but she catches the faintest bitter taste entwined with the musty wood-smell. She pauses, hesitating, trying to find its direction.

Content with her results, Israfel continues on at a graceful lope, head held low like the finest of bloodhounds.

Then, trees, thick with foliage, part to reveal a patch of scorched earth; deadened, charred and still. She gasps, digging her hooves into the ash, sending it swirling around her like fairy dust. It never fails to astound her, how strange this patch of death is in a maze of life - she lets herself stride weakly into the burned clearing, raising a cloud of black in her wake like the Grim Reaper.

Who did this?

"blah blah blah."

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

A sudden rumbling of the earth and the cacophony of a flock of birds taking to the air, fluttering wings in a multitude of color, is the only warning the filly gets. It is as if the shrubs on her left in all their budding green glory; newborn, spring green, fresh and soft and ever precious, explode outward and release cloud of gilded pollen. Fluttering insects in shape of butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs and tiny fliers, almost appear to catch fire when they are dislodged from their perches, glowing and touched by the light in a wondrous display.

In the very center of the magical cloud, towering over the child-goddess as he leaps high over the bushes and into the glen, is a stallion with a coat made of all the precious metals of the world. Soft, oxidized silver enhances the glitter of purest gold, that dust the powerful back and shoulders and gleam in the depth of attentive orbs as they take take in their surroundings. The long silky mane flying from the neck holds the color of clouds, the same airy brightness flow behind as obsidian front hooves make contact with moist earth, digging deep into the black soil to find traction and propel him, forward. Ever forward, compelled by the rising spirits of springtime to run, run like he could become one with the sun and the wind if he only tried hard enough, ran fast enough.

He is leaping toward her with flaring nostrils and forwarded lobes, ground trembling beneath the feet as if to point out with which force he is approaching. He almost seem to be about to leap over her, when suddenly her presence is registered.

Eyes widen in a moment of surprise.

She wasn't a part of his calculations, not included when measuring the distance, the speed, the force of the leap. Now he is on a collision course with a foal not even half the size of himself, one who is the treasure and joy of not only the WildRose but all the other members of the Qian.
The outcome, should his massive bulk enhanced by speed and gravity crash into hers, is sure to be a tragic one.

The decision is made at the fraction of a second. Orders are sent to every muscle of the body. Before the rear legs manage to touch the ground every ounce of strength is shifted to the shoulders, to the sooted knees and the very nerves within the hooves, in order to push him out of course. It is but a minor adjustment, but as the powerful hind legs slam into the earth and push him forward, the strong body is propelled past her instead of making contact. In a surge of movement the stallion fly past her soft wings, close enough for the heat radiating from the muscles to be felt and to make the downy feathers flutter if the draft...

In his wake, like the pristine white tail of a minuscule comet, comes a tiny white dragon. She turn the scaled head and trill cheerfully at the sight of the daughter of fire - blissfully unaware of the start her bonded just had.

With the heart caught in the throat Lace then slammed on the breaks and skidded into a halt, raising a cloud of ash around the hooves before he managed to stop. Concerned, half unconvinced that he actually missed the girl, he spun around and breathed out in a heavy snort that send the nostrils quivering, relieved beyond belief upon seeing her unharmed.

"Israfel! What are you doing out here?" he exclaim with vocals deep and gentle, soft yet out of breath and colored by the shock of having her appear right before the feet. It's not hard to recognize the daughter of Smoke - he'd seen her as a mere newborn after all, and that white and gold coloration is rare even in a place as magical as Helovia.
Fajira joined in as Lace stepped closer to greet the girl with a warm breath and kind nibble of the forelock, fluttering like an oversized moth around the tiny light of the filly. "Does your mother know where you are?"

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

i don't want to set the world on fire
i just want to start a flame in your heart
One moment, the filly is alone with the ash and the trees, and in another, she is scrambling frantically from the path of a glittering monster. It whistles past her - she can feel its heat against her downy foal coat. She cries out in surprise, tucking downy wings close to her body as she attempts to flee, although the sight of a pale dragon calms her dramatically. Still shaken, she watches the silver body go past her, and with a start, recognizes him through muddled first-day memories. Orange eyes watch him intently as he swivels to confront her, his cobwebbed face wrought with concern - he asks a question, and she finds herself looking down at the ash sheepishly. "I wanted to know," she finally says after a moment of quiet contemplation, risking a glace upward, "who made this, do you know?" Her eyes are expression is earnest and sad; Israfel hesitates visibly with his next question, which is punctuated by an affectionate nibble to her forelock. She nickers softly, vermilion catching amber. "No," is the reply, timid and secretive; will he tattle to Mother?

Her eyes wander to the white dragon, contemplative. "Were you a warrior?" she asks suddenly, hoping to steer the subject away from her mother. That jump was impressive, she admits, and isn't the dream of every young colt to fight for the honor of their land, to put their life on the line for some flimsy moral? Israfel grins, bounding playfully away from the silver grulla, leaving a black cloud in her wake. "I'll be a warrior when I'm older," she boasts, managing a clumsy half-levade before tumbling gracelessly onto her forelegs. The girl begins to giggle as she paws at the ash, disturbing their season-long peace and dispersing them carelessly, innocent to the sadness and pain this charred wood had caused.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

He startled her. Well, it's only to be expected with an entrance like that, but it still made ache with guilt to hear her terrified voice and see her scramble to run away. Thank the Moon that Fajira was there and could calm her down. Not for the first time - and hardly for the last - Lace sent a thankful thought to his companion, a mental nudge that came as natural as breathing; and met only silence. He was slowly growing accustomed to the prick of disappointment every time he failed to reach her - in the way you get accustomed to heartache, a thorn in the hoof or a rainy summer.

Outwardly though, nothing of their concerns show. To the eyes of the pretty little girl he is only kind and understanding - and just a little bit exasperated over how foals seemed to love running off on their own. Had he been like that as a kid? Hardly (or so he'd like to think).
"Sorry, I actually have no idea. We haven't been living here at the Edge for very long, you know, and me and Fajira only came to Helovia half a year ago." The stallion looked around as he spoke, noticing for the first time the charred ground and the fire-damaged trees. "If you really want to know what happened, I suggest you go and ask the storyteller. She should know, if anyone."

Half saddened for the sake of the forest, and half curious, he lowered the nose to the ground and nosed the ashes, a hoof scraping away some of the coal-dust to examine the ground beneath. Whatever happened had done some serious damage, but not so much that it had become irreparable. If he reached out his mind to the surroundings, he could feel the life of budding trees within the ground. Little more than seeds still, with a bit of rain and given time, this barren patch of earth would eventually become filled with life. Nourished by the ash, herbs and grasses would grow thick, until trees finally would reclaim the glen.

A thought to help the trees along passed the mind, but Lace soon discarded the thought. Why mend something that wasn't broken? Better let nature take its course, to shape the grove the way it was supposed to be.

Lifting the head back up from the ground, the grulla watched in quiet amusement as his current protégé bounded around the clearing, stirring up dust and grime as she went.
"Were? I am a warrior, you know. Not a ranked one within the herd, granted, but I've been in enough battles to earn the title." A wry grin played on his black lips as he pretended to be offended by her words, puffed up the chest and made himself as impressive looking as he could. "You on the other hand... Aren't you more of a lady? Precious little thing to be protected wherever you go."

The tone was teasing, eyes glittering with mirth as Lace trotted over to the filly, snaked out the head to nip at her rump and then thundered ahead of her with a snickering laugh.

A warrior, huh? No doubt she would have to become one. With a father like hers, and adorned with both wings and budding horn in a world where appearance and race was a topic of much discussion, she was bound to get herself in trouble. The knight had to admit he liked her spunk; it felt nostalgic in a way. Reminded him of Soleil when she was a foal, all energy and bad attitude - this time though, he had a lot more patience. This time, he would be the one to come charging in frothing fury if anyone dared to be rough with this little bundle of sunshine.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

"Cannot a lady and a warrior be one in the same?"

What odd fate had brought the girl here, to the place where her father had wreaked such destruction, robbing the earth of life and replacing it with such violent light, a monstrous chasm left in the wake of his fury? I came upon them not by chance, but by an active and rare desire to seek out company. The filly seemed an apt companion, somehow; her innocence a welcome contrast to my own jaded eye, her spirit something I could relish in. I had not seen her since Smoke introduced the princess to the world... I had not seen any children, not for a long time. For a while, I'd thought I might soon see Mirage's brats... but my emotions on that subject are still unclear. At present, it seems not to be something I need worry about for some time further.

The ash shifts beneath my heavy hooves as I step into their view, mildly amused that I'd happened upon Lace as well. He seemed to be everywhere, the webbed stallion. From her perch atop my withers Kali cried a greeting to Lace's little white, too thoroughly gorged on a recent kill to rouse herself enough for a proper visit. Besides, she had been cautious ever since the eerie silence that stood between us had begun, opting to stay close to me and taking every opportunity to preen or coo, to find reassurance of my affection. She'd begun braiding my mane with deft front claws, and now assorted small plaits littered the length of my poll, white dusted with gold and sometimes dotted with small flowers or plants.

My Kali, my artist.

I watched the younger pair play with glittering amusement in my eyes, and a slight, distant pang of envy. I had not run or laughed or teased since Asur's disappearance, not played with no care except to enjoy the companionship of another. Watching Lace dash from Israfel's reach, I shifted against the pull of my own longing to relax and join them, settling by weight back and cocking my right fore instead as I watched, smiling, quiet, guarded.

Just because I wasn't participating physically didn't mean I couldn't goad them on, though. "Perhaps you should show Lace your skills, Israfel," I suggested, a lilt in my tone and a sly glance thrown in the stallion's direction. My head lowers, seeking the filly, a conspiratorial stage whisper and a wink offered with my smile. "So that he knows what a real warrior is. I fear he may be full of hot air."

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO

our hearts beat in time with the earth.

"Mother is the best warrior," I say and instantly wishing I could withdraw the words from the air and shove them back into my mouth. I had been eavesdropping, horribly rude, at the edge of the clearing behind a copse of full, lush trees. My bitoned eyes had caught sight of Lace, and, excited to see the older stallion yet again, had almost launched myself forward to show him my now straightened legs. That was until, of course, I noticed that he had been speaking to a filly. She was about the same height as me, but much more delicate in her build and features. I assumed that she was only a slight bit younger than me, but remembering my scary interaction with Azulee and Cirrus, I was hesitant to bound forward and announce my presence.

Now, my voice had given my location away. With eyes likely glued to my dusty colored pelt, I sulk out from behind the bushes, hooves dragging like a guilty child. I was, after all, a guilty child. My curiosity had been stronger than my manners, which was quite embarrassing. Mother would not have been pleased. Shuffling my feet nervously, I walk forward, airing closer to the side of Lace than the two females of the bunch, though I threw much more frequent and nervous glances in their direction from under my crown of horns. The closer I made my way to their side, the more the ash would almost seem to cling to me, the scorched earth getting closer and closer. However, something peculiar unbeknownst to my eyes at the time started to happen. From underneath the ash, a trail of grass began to grow, following my pathway toward Lace from the bushes, like a carpet being rolled out behind me as I walked.

Stopping beside Lace, I raise my head ever so slightly, not wanting to look into the eyes of the adults or the filly. "I meant, uhm..." I take a pause, finding my mouth starkly dry in this situation. "My mother is a fine lady as well as a strong warrior. I think she's right," I say, glancing up at Lace with a smile. I hoped that he would remember me, or at least not scold me too harshly for eavesdropping in on the conversation. With tentative bravery, I look up finally, and toward the black colored mare who had made the original point. Her eyes were deep, dark, and unreadable, leaving me quite at odds with how to feel about her. The gentleness of her voice previously made me think she was likely a kind mare, but I had no true way of knowing.

With a nervous exhale, my two-toned eyes then flutter over to the other filly, only to widen, noting with excitement the wings upon her back paired with a horn. Hers was branched, unlike the straight elegant spiral of mother's horn, but it was more similar than my spiral monsters decorating my crown. "Can you fly?" I ask, looking at the filly excitedly and strangely open, considering how nervous I had been just a few short moments before.

CREDITS