the Rift

Birds eye view (Ktulu, Cera, Hototo)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Frostfall was no more; at long last, trying days had taken full retreat from Helovia. Everyone was in fine spirits, and what soul wouldn’t be? Spring was like an addictive drug, sending its victims into a state of exuberance. Even mundane chores bore more joyfulness—and despite the hindrance from oppressive eclipse everything seemed and felt brighter.

Earth lord’s magic had firm grasp, and his earth sons and daughters openly rejoiced to know that only a lord of such power could rid their world of harsh emotion and physical trials. Cool mornings replaced bitter chill and warmth began to soak back into the tired bones of birdsongs citizens. Everyone could finally take a breath, and bask in the bliss of everything elemental lords offered.

Midas took full advantage of current peace and quiet to do a little basking of his own. From the breaking of a new day, he watched eastward with calm somber as orange and violet mixed to bring a warm glow upon their land. Time was against them, but in this moment…everything was perfect. Smallish body stirred at his feet, quiet muffles of protest emerging as rays of light hit closed eyelids. Unwilling, as usual to meet the sun and a new day. A knowing smile tickled black lips into a grin; lowered muzzle grazed the top of his still dozing son’s forehead. Hot breath blew across darkened curls that were still moist from sleeping, gangly legs had bent and curled in childish fashion. Foals only served to soften hearts.

Thistle meadow had been their vacation from home over the past few days; Midas hadn’t let the child in on what surprises he had in store. He had been making a point to spend more time with the ever growing youth. Cera was blooming so fast, it seemed Midas couldn’t blink without finding a new angle or inch that sprang up overnight.

His pride, his little crafter was growing up. Pushing air across ears until they swiveled in near annoyance, Midas whispered into them with ever present humor, “Clear dreams from your eyes, today you earn a place in the sky.” Flying was perhaps the most important skill a young Pegasus could learn, and today felt like an excellent start to make good on both his promises. “I have someone I’d like you to meet; shall we go pick them up?”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

In every bone sang a song of spring. Warmth had taken hold over the icy fist of frost that had surrounded Helovia. Babe had been proud in quite a strange way, knowing his patron had done something so miraculous. The Earth immortal had indirectly lifted Cera's sufferings, and rest had come easily without the pursuit of shivers and sniffles. Resting with Midas was no longer necessary, but once again a past time he enjoyed and basked in. At the time of the new morning, this is what Cera was doing. 

Ever growing legs curled close to his body, cream lashes resting on sandy cheeks as Morpheus extended its arms over him. Cradling him in his nest of sleep much like he was held against his father's side. Ignorant of the lifting sun as he was morning after morning. As energetic as Cera was, and how thoroughly he enjoyed his days, the cherub despised awakening and leaving the bubble of heat that they had created. Slim breast rose and fell in a deep steady rhythm, lying trustingly and adoringly as close to the painted stallion as he could. As if hoping to meld their bodies together. Blood would never speak of their bond, but Cera was oblivious to this. Perhaps somewhere deep down he wished impossibly for this to be false. 

Brightening against the black of closed eyes caused discomfort and unhappiness as the sun tried to beckon Cera forth. The colt however was determined to stay asleep and stirred to find a position angled farther from the sun and it's inescapable rays. Warm breath blew over his face and ruffled forelock gently. Stirrings were quieted and disgruntled face smoothed out as some instinctual part of his brain recognized the scent and motion as Midas. Yet breath that had lulled and soothed him attacked his ears, making them flick and bend in a feline fashion. Mewling unhappily at being pushed towards consciousness, the sandy babe wriggled stubbornly in refusal. Amused voice whispered into his ears, setting forth a gentle sentence that urged Cera away from rest and towards his father's voice. In half asleep delirium he still felt he stirrings of excitement as promise of flight reached tired mind. 

Sleep dazed emerald eyes peeked upon and found his father's face. Little maw widening as he yawned, unfolding curled pillars and stretching, too tired to keep his balance and flopping sideways against his father. Laying cheek against strong shoulder and peering up with glazed orbs. "'Kay..." mumbling quietly in response, sleep sticking to him like sap, refusing to let go. 

White wings unfolded, patterns somehow disappearing and a glowing halo over his crown. Staggering to long legs and remaining sagged but compliant as he waited for direction from his father. A creature of touch, Cera couldn't resist from brushing his muzzle against Midas' cheek. Sighing as he tried to awaken, muzzle dropping along his father's side to his shoulder. Nuzzling him and bumping him playfully as energy returned. "Daddy, who we getting?" Blinking hard and yawning one last time to try and clear sleep away. Stamping little caramel hooves and shaking himself with a dazed little giggle, finding gold eyes and waiting with a permanently adoring gaze for Midas to show him the way. 
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO

our hearts beat in time with the earth.

Midas need not pick me up. I was quite excited to see the familiar black and white figure out in the meadow from my vantage point in the trees. With a burst of energy, I rushed forward from the copse. My legs have straightened completely since I had last seen Midas, and the release of movement was apparent as I launched myself forward at a steady gait. The unsightly jumble of limbs that used to plague my canter was no longer present. It was freedom to burst forward without hesitation, to feel the wind stroke my growing tufts of mane and tug at my tail, to feel my growing musculature tug correctly as my limbs moved forth.

How fitting it was for this spring to release me from the prison that had formerly been my crippled body.

My excitement is drawn into a moment's worth of hesitation, though, as I finally manage to glance past the armored pegasus and to his side. Sprouting up from the snow was a smaller pegasus, causing me to slow my steps and almost pause, my walk sluggish and hooves nearly dragging as I observe this stranger for a moment. My horned head tilts to the side, a brush of my forelock in my bitoned eyes. A colt, from the looks of the build, and patterned much like Midas. Suddenly, I feel that perhaps this colt is the son of Midas, and that surges forth like a bitter taste of jealousy in my mouth. It is strange that I should feel this same ugly monster crawling under my skin for anyone except mother, and yet, it is also very beautiful, for I know that my heart has found another comrade to cling onto.

"Midas," I say, as my steps increase in speed once more to bring me a few paces from the pair, gaze flipping from golden to green eyes every few moments until I finally land upon the blackened face I remembered. "Are you here to see my mother?"

CREDITS

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

KTULU the CONSTRICTOR
you must define yourself through actions

With her lack of communication with Eytan, Ktulu was never far behind Hototo when he decided to wander off and explore. While she usually would send Eytan in her place and find comfort in the images he sent her of where they were, who was around, and what they were doing, she was left completely blank. The only way she would know anything at all was to follow her son until whatever the eclipse had done to screw up her mental connection with her companion was fixed. It still irritated her, but at least she knew the reason behind it.

It was out of the norm, but Kutlu allowed Hototo to get farther ahead of her than he usually did, as she took her time grazing and filling her belly with the freshly grown grass. Only when she heard the sound of other voices followed by her sons did she lift her head, eyes narrowing as she looked in the direction he had gone. Her ears tilted forward and her tail twitched before she finally stepped forward to investigate.

When she finally happened upon the scene she felt a sense of relief roll over her that it was Midas and his son, she assumed. "Midas." She said his name with the faintest hint of a smile pulling at her lips. "You must be Cera." She then said as she looked to the colt. Her crimson eyes then drifted to her son, softening dramatically as she looked at him. "Say hello, Toto."

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
"Daddy, who we getting?"

It wouldn’t take much for his little sprout to start skipping and pawing all over the meadow. Sleep was often a hard fighter to knock back, but…somehow it only took a matter of minutes for his child to come fully alive. Smiling knowingly, he could only thank god for being a morning person. An answer to Cera’s question came before voiced response could trail from beaming father. A familiar figure dotted the nearby treeline, catching attention only when the lad chose to come running toward them. Heart skipped and cranium rose expectantly with a wide smile showing teeth and spreading his muscular face apart cheerfully, “Seems our company has arrived.”

Suddenly, the demichild slowed as if unsure of who he approached, undaunted by this the ebony father continued pleasantries until…finally their distance closed, “Midas,” creamy cherub said in greeting. Muzzle dipped just slightly and while voice responded with gentle fondness, “Good morning, Hototo.” Gaze drifted up and past for a moment, searching and finding nothing; honeyed pools flickered down, “Are you here to see my mother?” Sharp as a stone. Little Hototo knew his thoughts.

“Nay child,” he answered honestly, “I am here to school you in claiming the sky—if you feel ready?” Ktulu would be a bonus to his day, but he was really here for Cera and the little earthsinger. Today was their day. Jaws parted to add something more, but throat seemed stuck and heart quickened as attention suddenly found itself captured. Just behind the lad was his lady. His dear friend. Her shimmering coat rippling to show warrior muscles beneath a sleek, yet feminine frame. How beautiful, how lovely she was, like a goddess scattering sunlight.

He was rendered speechless for only a moment, simply watching her approach as a foolish love struck youth might. It wasn’t until her frame was feet away that he snapped clean from idle thinking and fashioned a wistful smile when she took to greeting him and Cera, “Good morning ma’lady, Ktulu.”

As the seconds ticked by, Cera's natural abyss of energy was freed from the straps of sleep that weighed it down. Wings glowed white in the dawn light, long awkward legs hopping and stomping the ground childishly. Oh yes, Cera was ready to welcome the new morning. Already bushing himself by pulling on Midas' mane, only to grow bored and prance in a small energetic circle. Boyish face glowing with the joy he faced every day with. Something changed, bringing Cera's playful attitude to a standstill. The presence of another. Cera looked to Midas as the newcomer approached, spotting the bright and eager smile on his father's face. Something inside of the babe throbbed and wings slowly came close to patchy sides. As if trying to enclose himself within his own feathers protectively. The colt came closer and Cera's heart sank pitifully, smile wavering where it remained plastered to his face. He had thought he could be friends, having heard at least a little of Hototo. Was that his name? Yes surely it was. But as he approached, the other youth suddenly seemed quite wary of Cera's presence. Not even regarding him, turning instead to Midas. 

Was he already disregarding Cera? What had he done? Was it his smile? Did he still look sleepy and pathetic?

Normally Cera would bound forward with a grin and exuberantly state his name. But Hototo was...Cera's heart hurt and he took a step backwards. Hototo was handsome, tall, sturdy. Polite and intelligent where Cera, lacking four months of vital speech growth, still stumbled over his words and spoke like a child. Where Hototo was strong, Cera was flimsy and lanky. Red green eyes flickered to Cera and back to Midas a few times. The sandy colt wishing to shrink away into nothingness. He could never measure up to such a magnificent creature, he was much too childish and hyper.

Cera smiled at Hototo nonetheless, hoping to bridge the silent gap even as he took a few steps sideways to remain directly next to Midas. Hiding behind his massive wings as his father was suddenly struck silent by yet another entrance. Black female moved towards them, graceful and commanding, and Cera suddenly felt invisible and inadequate. Hototo with his handsome features and eloquence. Midas and his General status, his skills, magic, and armor. Now this female, whom Cera knew to be Ktulu. Deadly and beautiful and obviously very important to Midas. He hadn't even looked back at Cera since they had appeared. Emerald orbs found the ground, staring hatefully at long skinny legs. Why did he have to be so weak and unhelpful? Wishing he could simply turn and run all the way back to the Throat. Surely Lynx would understand how it felt to feel ugly. Would comfort him in his silent, calm way. Mystique would surely offer her shoulder as well. But no, Cera couldn't run away now. He loved Midas too much. Knew his father loved Hototo and Ktulu very much, and couldn't bear to make him choose. The beautiful woman spoke with a smile to Midas, surprising the cherub by knowing his name. Stuttering and backing another step away as he gave her a sweet, tremulous smile. She was kind to even deign remembering his name, and emerald eyes held adoration and gratitude as he gazed in innocent awe at her. "Y-Yes'm." Feeling ill and shaky at all the attention. He was the odd one out and he knew it. Emerald eyes looked up to clear skies, regaining his courage and swallowing shakily. Today was the day he would learn to fly. Happiness dulled, or at least weakened, the tempest of emotions he couldn't name half of. When Ktulu asked Hototo to say hello, Cera awkwardly sprang forward to speak. Never moving from Midas' hindquarters. "I-It's okay! H-Hi Hototo. I think you're very pretty. L-Like hydrangeas!" He didn't see anything wrong with calling the colt pretty or comparing him to the light blue flowers. He didn't know the word 'handsome' yet. But was pretty a girl word? Oh god he was making a fool of himself wasn't he? Cera was distraught. He wanted to impress these two, but the more he tried the more he made himself seem ditzy and unintelligent. How could Midas love him, he suddenly wondered, when he was so useless and plain? Enviously he glanced up at the beautiful family of two. Sighing and curling his wings in tight, as it trying to hug himself. "S-Sorry...I no know many words...I wanna be friends though..." Voice soft and dejected. Bowing his head, murmuring another apology. Drawing absently in the dirt to occupy himself, sketching the wall Bazilisk had planned. Tears stung his eyes. Bazilisk had betrayed the Throat. His mentor, the one he looked up to, had disappeared. Leaving Cera once again without a mentor and a few crushed dreams. Tiny hoof lovingly sketching every detail, eyes sharpening and mind flickering as it came to life. If he couldn't handle all this attention, this pressure and comparison, he could always rely on crafting to comfort him. 

[[Cera got way too depressed here. I have no idea what happened to be honest. Sorry everyone, I know it's probably not helpful at all.]]
Image by Alex

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO

Rude, I was being very rude. I could tell amost instantly as I watched face of the boy at Midas's side fall in my presence. However, wrestling with envy took a few moments, and I scrambled inwardly to try and push through the odd emotion. Even though Midas had come with this young foal, he still addressed me much the same and greeted my appearance with a smile. In turn, I offered up my own shy entity of the expression, presenting it to the stallion and then to the colt at his side, only for a fleeting glance before my attention is stolen once more by the painted stallion. His words surprise me, for I certainly expected he had come for my mother and not for me.

As such, a stunned wave rolls across my features, and were it not for the appearance of mother from behind me, I might have completely shut off my ears to anything else. I am here to school you in claiming the sky. Excited, I automatically perk my ears forward, the shy smile growing more genuine until it shined with excitement. "You're going to teach me to fly?" I ask, moving the wings upon my back which had often been disregarded in my youth. They were not nearly as necessary to me as my legs, for mother could not teach me the art of sailing upon the wind. My mother's voice comes next, her greeting guarded as always, but the hint of an upturn in her voice was a key sign that she appreciated Midas's company.

The slight difference only multiplied when mother looked toward me, our eyes meeting in a soft embrace before I break it once more to look at the colt. Mother had called him Cera and asked me to greet him, but it seems the colt was already taking responsibility. I was quite impressed with his initiative myself, as I have always been rather shy around my peers, though especially fillies. Now that I truly look at the figure at Midas's side, I notice that it is scant in comparison to my own growing form. He looks to be quite a bit younger than me, but the length of his wings makes me reconsider. Were we but a few months apart? A few weeks?

Regardless of age, I am taken aback by the words which follow. I have never considered myself to be an attractive colt. I think the fact that my relatives do not have wings likely has something to do with this view upon myself, but my boorish horns curling from my crown are also not aiding in my view of myself. The colt that Cera is viewing right now, with straight legs and growing musculature, is not the creature that I had been in my earlier months. His words bring forth widened eyes, but not from his misuse of language, just from the compliment. Wavering through possible responses, I just stand, dumbly, mouth half open before I finally remember that he is likely awaiting me. "I, uhh... thanks," I settle, not really knowing how else to respond. I try to end it with a smile, sheepish and faint, but it stays upon my lips for a few moments until the colt speaks again.

Perhaps more than the compliment, the offer of friendship surprises me even more. "You want to be my friend?" I ask, my voice taking on some sort of awed tone. I had never have someone request such a strong bond with me before, and I had done little to earn it from Cera. "I would really like to be friends, Cera."

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Pride filled me; it swelled until each space was threatened to burst. A smile was mustered upon ebony contours when my growing boy rose to take shaky initiative; but initiative nonetheless. He was such a people person that I never thought to worry upon hesitation or withdraw. After a few moments the children seemed to be hitting it off rather well; I sighed in relief and offered Ktulu a polite nod before directing attention to the younglings at hand, “Are you ready to begin?” I asked quietly, knowing that a willing response would appear upon their lips but also be unneeded.

Stepping forward into a leading position I motioned for them to follow with a slight bend, “Your body is built for the sky, with each passing month your flight muscles have been getting stronger.” I walked uphill now, leaning forward to accompany the balance change but still speaking with calm direction, “Respect your limits, protect your wings as you would a leg or neck.” This last part was perhaps the most important; I turn sideways to glance at them.

Serious now and very nearly frowning I add with grim note, “No amount of pride is worth losing the ability to fly.” Would they understand this? I wouldn’t get to wonder for long because by now we had approached the top of our training slope. Well…it was enough of a downhill to offer gangly legs ample chance at finding speed for the first step of flight—gliding.

In order for them to gain access into heaven, they would have to learn the art of finding lift through warmed thermals; and using the direction of wind to cut back on thrust levels to conserve energy. All of the technical stuff would come on a later day, for now I wanted to teach them to be part of their wings.

Stretching left flight appendage out before them, I motioned with pointed muzzle toward the length of each length, “These are your primary feathers, they are the largest and strongest,” after a moment to allow the pair a chance at exploring their own I push on, “The smaller feathers are called secondary, and while the primary offers stability, secondary feathers will help give you lift in both soaring and flapping.”

Reversing a step or two I distanced myself so my full extend could be reached without encountering their own, flapping slowly and flexing pectoral muscles I smiled, “You must move and exercise these muscles every day, practice on your own.” Turning toward the hill, a familiar rush of excitement flicked my eyes toward the clear blue, “Watch now children.” My body, strong and willing through countless hours of patrol, leapt forward to descend training mound. Limbs thrust, the pump of legs pushed to gain ground whilst my wings cushioned out like a leaf forced into wind.

Finally enough speed and draft was forced beneath, I could feel the ground vanish beneath my feet. The exuberance of flight forever a wondrous joy to behold, it was a crying shame that not all creatures got to experience this firsthand.

I stay aloft for only a moment before touching back down at a brisk trot. My face, alight with pleasure and good nature turned back to the trio; willingly I call out to the children, “Come, show me what you just learned.” The best instruction was through practice—see one, do one, teach one. My eyes linger on Cera, wondering how he would take to flying and thrilling in seeing these first baby steps of life. The wonders of parenting.

OOC: my first, first person post...if I destroyed it...please tell me so I can never do it again <'3

Emotions flicker over the colt's face and Cera is not adept enough at reading them to understand what he's feeling. Letting the excitement at the prospect of flying distract Hototo while Cera swiped over the picture he'd made, not wanting it to be seen. Bazilisk leaving still hurt him and he didn't want to think about it. Especially when faced with the joyous event of learning how to fly. He needed to move on from the sadness and insecurity he was feeling from this meeting and extend his friendship as he always did. Yet, surprisingly, when he did Hototo's reaction wasn't what Cera had been expecting. He actually seemed shocked by the fact Cera wanted to be his friend. In the end Cera had achieved what he wanted, Hototo admitting that he wished to be friends as well. Cera smiled brightly at him, sadness dropping off him easily as he giggled happily. "Friends it is!" Trotting over happily to brush his wing against Hototo's shoulder in a friendly manner, emerald irises glittering happily at the ram horned colt. Cera could easily see them becoming friends, and Cera was a leech whether Hototo knew it or not.

Midas speaking drew his attention and Cera nodded enthusiastically, staying by Hototo's side either way. The cherub was a rather 'touchy' person and didn't once think that Hototo would shy away from him. Even if he did it was doubtful Cera would notice in his obliviousness. Following after Midas up the hill, listeners swiveling to capture every word that he spoke. Soaking in the information like a willing sponge. Seeing Midas so serious when he turned to look at them was a bit strange, but it just let the words sink in even better. Gazing down the hill in childish wonder, though he knew he didn't have the best attention span. At least he nosed the feathers of his own wings when Midas pointed out the different feathers and explained them. Turning only when his voice beckoned once again, bright eyed with wonder.

He had seen Midas fly quite a few times, but this time he watched his movements carefully in order to help himself learn and mimic the movements. Cera used his wings a lot, mostly for balance as in his earlier months he'd been rather terrible at walking. Hopefully it would help at the very least. Yet when his father landed and urged them to the skies, Cera hesitated. Knowing he wouldn't do very good. Turning his eyes to Hototo, finally giving a smile and deciding he shouldn't compare himself to the other colt. "Come on~!" Shrugging as if to say, 'what the heck, why not try? Turning and gulping down the mixture of nerves and excitement that nearly had him bouncing. Shaking out his wings and running forth. Warm air touched under his wings, lifting him up so that his hooves left the security of the earth. Gliding him out over the hill for a few moments, reminding him of the times he'd done it before but at a more extreme level. However as he pushed his wings down he soon lost control after the first lift and quickly came back to earth. Managing to make a decent enough landing before he went sprawling in an amusing heap of long legs and wings. Shocked for a few moments before bursting into peals of laughter. Shaking himself out from the tangle of his legs that he hadn't experienced in a long time. Still giggling he went back up the hill towards his father with a bright smile, thrilled by the fact that he'd stayed aloft for any amount of time.
Image by Alex

ali Posts: 22
OOC Account
Mare :: Hybrid :: 5'4 :: 28
ali
ooc://

feel free to skip over me, i don't want to hold this up any longer

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO

I found myself standing in a state of shock as the small boy comes to siddle himself by me, standing rather awkwardly with my larger frame next to his small, painted form. His wing brushes against me, and for a moment I allow myself to stare at the juxtaposition of our wings together, noticing out the colors differed as well as the height. I am shy, and this causes me to become nervous and tuck my head closer toward my neck, looking out from behind my half closed lids to gaze at the jovial Cera. I am pleased that he has chosen to stand so close, but I am not particularly used to the feeling of one so close to me; well, at least anyone who was not mother or Eytan. I have a new friend, and he is small and precious. There is a growing feeling in my heart, and that is the urge to protect this boy who clings so close to my side. I hope that someday, I can become an able and worthy protector like Midas.

When the stallion speaks, I look toward his blackened face with a sudden lurch of excitement. Mother had never been able to offer me the lesson of the skies, and so it was a new experience for me, one that I had longed after for many months now. I smile sheepishly at Cera, uncertain of how to interact well as friends now instead of strangers. I felt the need to share the burst of excitement, but had not the tools to do so yet. His tiny body is already moving, though, a bustle of energy that I myself was feeling. My smile grows slightly more contented. I glance behind me toward mother first, making sure that it was alright to follow the painted stallion in this lesson. Her crimson eyes seem encouraging, and I turn my bitoned eyes forward, looking toward Midas as I take off forward with a scrambling trot.

I stop myself a few feet right of Cera, looking at him briefly before turning my undivided attention to Midas, whose usually warm golden eyes had taken on a light of serious concentration I was not used to seeing. One ear flicks back uncertainly, wings shuffling nervously as he speaks, but taking the words to heart. I unfold my wings like a dusty old map I was used to seeing, only with words written in a language I could not read. Now, with Midas's careful instruction, I look at the feathers with a new understanding. Taking turns looking at Midas an my own wings, I begin to smile. Truly, the one thing I loved in this world almost as much as mother was the ability to learn. I found joy in answering the mysteries of this world, one small detail at a time.

I flap my wings as Midas does, feeling a bit out of place, like a child waving about his head for no particular reason. It feels foolish, but I can certainly feel the muscles stretching about in the joint that attaches my feathered appendages to my frame. The true miracle of today is the brilliant clarity I receive as I watch Midas lift off from the earth. My eyes widen in surprise, as I had only seen pegasus leave the earth from a distance before, and that had been months ago when mother and I lived in the Throat. I almost forget to watch how he does it in my shock, but I gather my wits and watch with wistful eyes as he circles about off the ground. I wish for that freedom silently, lowering sad eyes to the earth for a moment until I hear the thud of Midas's golden hooves on the ground.

Cera is the voice that tugs my head up, and I look toward him with blurry eyes until I realize he is running, taking the chance to lift himself from the earth as his father had instructed. In this moment, I become immediately jealous of the courage shown by the smaller colt. I feel pathetic for one, painful second, until I realize I too can have courage. My mouth opens in awe as I see the tiny figure lift from the grass, soaring for a few brief moments from the ground. "Cera!" I call, alarmed by the sheer volume of my voice as it booms down the hill. For a moment, I stunned into silence by myself before laughing loudly, a sound that would one day grow into the boom of thunder like my father's, smiling at him. "You did great!"

Going with the renewed sense of joy in my heart, I begin to barrel down the hill, my bronze hooves fall upon the earth, my wings opening, and I push down and lift with my front end. For one, valiant moment, I am airborne. I can feel the rush of air pull at my silvery mane which grows longer each day. Wind pushes on my face. I am free.

Then, just as quickly as I had taken off, I begin to fall.

Panic raises in my chest and I squabble with my legs trying to catch myself, finding only that the earth is not as predictable as it is when I am standing upon it. The air does not offer me any resistance, and I fall flatly upon my front legs, muzzle hitting the grass with a resounding thud, a bruised nose awaiting me shortly. My back legs remain upright, rump hoisted rather ungracefully in the air, wings extended like extra limbs holding me up. I could honestly bury my head into the ground now and die of embarrassment. Instead, I struggle to all four of my legs. Lifting my head toward the sky, I begin to laugh. I laugh fully and heartily at myself, looking with joy at Cera and then back at Midas. "That was fun."

I continue to laugh so hard I'm afraid I might cry. I will learn how to fly. I am determined.

CREDITS
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Cera was the first to run forward, eager as always. I sighed, but it wasn’t a moan or groan of displeasure. Quite the opposite in fact, my stream of affection seemed to have no end for the younglings. They were the most fascinating of creatures, always on edge to surprise or try something new. Delightful. Neither colt would disappoint. One would think this moment would strike heart with nothing but pride and happiness; I was beholding a young soul touch sky for the first time, taking the next step into adulthood. Sadly, that wasn’t what happened. When pale colt charged downhill and caught air, this heart lurked within breast; fear blooming like a black flower.

Another babe had once taken this same attempt, same step…I swallowed the rising bundle of shallow thoughts and forcefully, firmly reminded that this—they weren’t the same. Cera was different. Less brash and rebellious.

Norse. I still miss you.

My wings hung with tense pose, I resisted the urge to spring at him like an overly protective mare. Coddling and wooing over aches or pains to come. My attentions wouldn’t be needed; Cera landed with a safe thud and almost immediately rose with a laugh and giggle, “You did great!” Hototo called out encouragement, I smile; surely my emotions were misled.

Demi god rose, taking flight for only a moment before landing in similar fashion. My laugher rumbles free, jolly in their joking and taking glee in minor success, “You both did wonderful,” already our path led back up the slope, “let’s try something else.”

After reaching the top I, gave more instruction, “The torrents warm and cool in different ways, your eyes will not be able to foresee this…instead your wings must feel it. Trust your inner voice to give instruction on when to shift, when to beat. Feel each feather, there will be times when air is stale; you must counter this with a strong downbeat. Try to curl your wings until your longest feathers nearly mate.”

This time I rose from earth at a standstill. Feathers fanned and nearly brushed ground, the tips of my rear daggers floated free. My wind would create a base from them to trail from, “Rise.” Forcefully hovering I smile between heavy breath.

Hototo is far larger than Cera’s frail form, but Cera’s personality makes up for it in leaps and bounds. His heart is too big for his body, his outgoing and hyper personality only making him seem larger than he was. The massive colt was awkwardly shy and endearing, though Cera was oblivious to his nervous demeanor. Eyes watch him shyly, and Cera returns this with a bright smile. In time, Cera would figure out Hototo’s peculiar ways. Likewise the other colt would likely grow used to the cherub’s outgoing liveliness. Until then, however, Cera would shower the demigod with love and cheer. He would show Hototo that he didn’t mind, that he wanted to be very good friends. And for once he was quite determined to make Hototo his friend, he seemed like he needed one. And if there was one thing Cera did best, it was being someone’s friend.

Bonding time must be cut short, for painted father is speaking. Excitement grows inside, taking over all other emotions. When Cera burst forward to follow Midas, Hototo followed at a scramble that was born from hesitation to achieve his mother’s approval. Cera has eyes only for Midas and the skies above them, eager to begin this step into adulthood. The hill is noticeable, and emerald eyes stare down it with barely withheld excitement. No other emotions other than love can fit into the space it has taken up, filling him with something akin to adrenaline but that is far more endless than the short burst adrenaline gives him. It is hard to pay attention for a few moments, wishing to simply throw himself heavenward and allow his wings to do the rest. After all, he was born for the skies. Light frame meant for maneuvering and easy lift. Nevertheless he is obedient, and almost instinctually crown turns to allow Midas to instruct him. It is simply impossible for Cera to disobey, for fear of disappointing his father. Even anger would not hurt as much as disappointing Midas. Serious face does not deter him, though he records the word to memory. Transcribing it carefully onto his mind.

Use of wings has helped him for months, keeping him from falling face first onto every available surface. Perhaps he was lucky to have used them so often, for as he mimed the motions Midas showed them he felt ease and willingness in his motions. Golden hooves leave safety of earth and the pair are left behind watching, though Midas has seen pegasi of every shape and size leave the earth in nearly every way. Being a part of the Throat, seeing shapes of members in the skies was not strange. Midas lands, most likely knowing that both boys are eager beyond belief to accept the wind and skies beneath their winged appendages. Hototo turns slowly but Cera had already run forward, more than willing to fail if it meant he could try again. Very little could disappoint or discourage the bouncy little boy, so crashing and burning did not prevent him from throwing himself out into space that would only support him through trial and error. The wind was ever changing, finicky, and Cera was determined to own them. No, not to own them. To be a part of them, for they had gifted him with his form.

As he had suspected he had fallen from grace like some angel cast down to earth, though smile remains as if he had never been damned. Hototo’s voice calling his name in what seemed to be fright and concern surprised him. Cera’s heart skipped a beat, instinctively reacting to his friend’s shock. The bellow is loud and surprisingly masculine for such an age, and Cera briefly wishes to dash back up the hill to assure him that he is fine. But he can’t, for he has crashed back down onto the grass. His laughter follows, seeming to shake the ground as it echoed down to him, encouraging and praising him. Sandy head popped up, forelock mussed and sticking up as glowing green eyes met Hototo’s. Grinning wildly as he corrected himself slowly. ”Thanks! Do it! Do it! Do it! It’s fun!” Beckoning him to the air as well, anticipation on his face. Wanting to see Hototo try, as the other colt had done for him.

He went barreling down towards Cera, wings snapping open and lifting into the air. Cera’s mouth fell open into a strange mixture of jaw-dropped awe and grinning, which was more like a stretched ‘oh’ face. Hototo scrabbled in the air and Cera watched as he went crashing back down in an extremely comical way. However his head popped up too as he righted himself, and Cera couldn’t help but join in on his laughter. Nearly in tears as his legs shook from the intensity of his laughter. ”That was amazing, Toto!” he laughed, finally standing and running over to the other colt. Nudging him with his wings, bouncing around him, nuzzling him with his muzzle. Urging him up, up, up, because Cera wanted to try again. Midas spoke then and Cera paused only long enough to listen to him attentively, face clearly showing he wanted to try once more. It seemed rather hard to lift off straight from the ground, but Cera knew Midas would allow them the use of the hill. Nodding quickly, he obeyed his father and turned once more to Hototo. ”Come on! Again!” Grinning invitingly, daringly. Turning and dashing back up the hill towards his father with a glowing face, stopping at the top and swiveling to wait for Hototo.

What a fine day for flying and friends.
Image by Alex