the Rift

I Eat Same Food Every Day [Ophelia]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

image by deadair @ flickr.com</style>

round up all the pieces, but they just don't fit the same.</style>

Young murderer walks the shore with blood still strung delicately between his feathers. His ears are keen and his senses sharp; he can hear it snap and pop, smell it still as it rises from his powerful young form. The form of a killer, one who hunts and feasts on still warm flesh. One who killed an innocent mother, snapped her neck and watched her fall with no feeling in his heart. He is a monster, he begins to realize. He can no longer care.

Manhattan is gone yet she still remains, walking beside him as if they are not apart. But her mind is gone now, no longer a part of his, and he feels the emptiness rise. Cold he once assumed was from Frostfall fills him, but now Birdsong falls upon the earth and he sees that it is from his own heart. It has always been from his heart. His eyes shine blue in the bright light reflecting off the sea and he feels naked in the open light. The beach is strange and unfamiliar, exposed and uncomfortable. At his side, the young Manhattan pants and whines as the heat and fullness from her last meal slows her pace. The frozen emptiness quickens his pace but he does not leave her behind. She walks faster, even when she longs to stop.

He no longer possesses the ability to tell what she feels and understand her desires. When weeks ago he would have rested beside her in the cool waters, now he walks. He walks seemingly forever, seeking absolution perhaps, seeking purpose more likely. An understanding of the way things are and why he is not a part of them is all he desires, if he desires even that. Emotion fails him now, just as it always has. The sun blinds him and the heat draws from him his strength, but he cannot find it in himself to care.

As his body falls softly into the sand and water sweeps across bloodied hooves to hide the evidence of a hunt, he longs for darkness. Manhattan's fur brushes against his hindquarters, and the faint rustle of sand betrays her motion as she curls up to lie beside him. But he does not feel her, not anymore. He wants nothing more than for this treacherous light to leave, for the sounds of the waves and gulls to lie alone in the harbor and fill his senses.

Slowly, the world disappears around him. His eyes turn silver, and for a time there is nothing.

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The sea called to her like a whisper of a long forgotten memory. Salty winds billowed in her pale and white mane, hooves well sunken into the ground from being idle for so long. Stormy seas crashed in the distance, thick, thunder clouds casting a darkness upon the Frostfall horizon. Ophelia felt comfortable here, on the sands of the beach, nearly as much as she felt at home in the snow. Something about the rhythmic movement of the tides and the steady whistle of the winds set her mind at ease. Well, as much at ease as possible considering her current predicament. A deep, sorrowful brow bowed her lips, and her brows were furrowed deeply over her eyes, considering her fate and why she had been cursed this way.

With every attempt she made to access her memories, she was blocked by a wall of white light. Nothing moved across her thoughts from that barricade, and she was trapped, not truly knowing who she was or what she had done. Two years of her life were gone, completely. A heavy sigh moved past her lips, and she finally lowered her neck a little, taking a slow turn toward to inland, though she wanted to drown. Would the world remember her in her absence? Would it even matter, not knowing who would remember or not? Ophelia was not one to consider taking her life, but the existential question of whether or not it mattered if she would be missed, when she could no longer miss anyone, was something that weighed heavily on her mind.

The silver dragon flew in the distance, and she wondered why he followed her around. He was such a beautiful and independent creature. She spied in the distance a dark pair, two creatures of the night along the beach. One was a handsome, taller gentleman, and a pup moved in his wake. Like the prickling of a nightmare, the sensation that she knew these two moved to the tip of her tongue. And then, like a dream, it was gone. Did they see her? Certainly they did. She was hard to miss against this landscape. Should she call out? No. Instead, she moved quietly closer, steps carrying her gracefully near.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Jen

Young murderer suddenly becomes aware of the fact that he is not alone. The faint rustle of sand hit by hooves wakes him from his living nightmare, and the magic that soothed him snaps away in the sharpest, most painful of moments. Manhattan rises swiftly and he sees her figure like a shadow cast against the distant, dangerous sky. She is strong, he realizes. She is not as young as she once was, not as cowardly. The magic that once haunted her has learned to bend to her will, and he sees that confidence in her clear-blue gaze now as she watches the strangers with care. Knox himself turns to look at them, but does not rise.

Perhaps the satisfaction of the meat sitting low in his stomach is what keeps him at rest; perhaps it is simple a lack of care for formality. Whatever the reason, he is not focused on appearing a gentleman. No, for something about the mare haunts him. It is not her beauty or apparent grace as she steps across the sand, nor is it the almost wistful look in her eyes. It is the sense that he has met her before; the sense that he knows her, and that he owes her something very important.

But he knows it cannot be true, for he does not know her face. Only the trace of her scent as it is carried off by a sea wind is familiar, and even that memory is fading. The fact that she may have been the mare to aid him in the wake of his fall does not occur to him; perhaps it is the remaining sun that fools him, but for a moment or so his mind is addled.

He can't think of what to say, and he isn't quite sure why. He simply lays still, the water rushing over his feathered fetlocks and teasing the skin of his cannons no longer something he takes note of. Manhattan walks forward and away from him, surprisingly comfortable with the new mare. Odd that she trusts the white one- it is odd if she ever trusts anyone.

"Manhattan seems to like you," he says smoothly, his deep voice spreading across the distance between them as the wave spread across the sand. Slowly he stands, shaking off the sand and letting the cold water drip below his knees. In silence he follows his companion's path, bending his head to brush his velvet nose affectionately across her back. Still she does not take her eyes off of the mare- she is enraptured. Completely trusting of the stranger, yet apparently troubled by her appearance here. There is something beyond it all that Knox can not comprehend, and as much as he tries to understand, the broken bond prevents him from doing so. But he trusts Manhattan, and for some reason the lingering sensation in the back of his mind which is reminiscent of the voices from his childhood. The voices of the old ones- the voices he fears will return each day.

He shudders in faint fear, but with a flick of his tail and a backwards look plays it off as a shiver in reaction to the sea wind. A few more graceful steps carry him closer to the mare; his grey-blue eyes seem to brighten with a curiosity and a sensation of closeness. He cannot help himself- without thinking he reaches out a velvet nose, as if to touch her. He hovers there beside her neck, close enough for her to feel his breath upon it, close enough for him to take in her scent. He knows it; he must know it. But though Manhattan may nudge him tenderly in reminder, he cannot see her thoughts, and he cannot know the mare's identity.

With a heavy sigh he stops himself from reaching for her further. He wants to feel the warmth of her, wants to know if that will be familiar as well, but knows his place. "..I'm sorry. I just... I feel as though I know you." He explains this to her as best as he can while he looks into her dual-toned eyes. They are close now, closer than he had realized he had come. There is a silence, brief and awkward. There is a nervous glance to the silver dragon, and a desire to both run far and fast and to stand beside her so that they might touch. He suppresses them, tries to forget they are there. But forgetting is a funny thing; forgetting is beyond one's own control. "I am Knox," he says carefully, as if explaining to someone that he would not expect to understand, but wants to teach with complete earnestness. There is silence followed by the sound of a wave as it crashes to the shore; he feels less empty than before. So does the world.

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia's dual colored gaze rests on the shadow resting in the sea, but he did not rise. Instead, a four-legged dog trots over to her, so boldly happy and with an air of familiarity. The mare furrowed her brows as she regarded the dark creature, barely noticing the chill of the water wash over her cloven hooves. Dogs were intelligent creatures, having outstanding memories, but a poor judge of time. Was this black hound in possession of a piece of her past as well? Did this entire damn land know her, even the companions of other stallions? She was a living a life now that was entirely out of her control, and the mare grit her teeth, frustration building to the point of tears.

Pride kept her from displaying the emotion fully, so she exhaled a heavy breath and then lowered her muzzle the greet the dog affectionately. The black beast had no idea that she was going to be the impetus for actions wildly outside her character. Or perhaps, the actions were not wild at all for her character considering that she barely knew who she was! The mare smiled sadly at the pup and breathed softly into her charcoal coat. "You must think me a fool too, hm?" she whispered, knowing that at least the dog could not audibly agree.

A deep, smooth voice caught her attention, and she lifted her head a little, watching as the black shadow rose from the ocean, water drops like diamonds tumbling from his muscular legs. As she looks into his blue-grey eyes, she cannot help but get the feeling that she knows this colt, but again, that emotion disappeared into the fray. At least this time, he seems to be just as unaware of her as she is of him, and Ophelia watches as he pushes his black muzzle close to her. Brows furrow deeply, and she pulls her neck upward on instinct, tucking her chin to her chest. White, tulip ears tilt to the side, uncertain, but she does not move.

She takes the opportunity to study the masculine planes of his face, finding and odd, white contraption wrapped around his head. Ophelia found the series of leather straps rather tragic, wondering if he managed to get tangled in them by some misfortune. When he apologized and said that he felt he knew her, she felt a spark of hope burst in her heart. Was she not the only one then? Was she not alone? His solid gaze shifts behind her, and she turns to look over her shoulder, seeing the silver creature dance on the wind. He looked beautiful. "He will not hurt you," she murmured quietly. "He follows me for some reason... I am unsure why, but his presence has been the only constant in my life as of late." Ophelia murmured, half to herself and half to the stallion.

Speaking her mind was quite unlike the mare, usually. The young stallion introduces himself as Knox, and she turned her gaze back, a gentle smile on her lips. "Ophelia," she introduced. "Do you not remember either?" she asked, the question nagging at her mind. Ears tilted forward, eagerly awaiting his response, hope clear in her crystalline eyes.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Jen

Young murderer feels foolish. He cannot know her, she cannot be who he thought. Would she not recognize him as well- ask how he has been, wonder upon his blindness, call him by his name? This mare, Ophelia, she calls herself, does not know him, and neither can he know her.

Her head jerks back and his does the same. Foolish of him to think it his place to draw even as close as he had. Many are sensitive, few as tactile as he. He relies on touch like a child groping for its toy, even with his sight. The sense of feel is his most valuable- the same sense that leaves his skin hot and crawling after the kill. And the scent of it all- the acrid stench of blood countered by the mare's saccharine odor. It is overwhelming and has lead him to forget. He steps backwards with care, toes dancing upon the sand with practiced grace as he edges respectfully away. She speaks to Manhattan kindly and he cannot help but let the dour downturn of his lips shift.

His body lowers and aches to be near his bonded in this time of separation. Teeth grind and a low whinny forms from his tongue, rolling out into the open and calling her back. She returns, but reluctantly. She has taken to the unfamiliar mare, and watches the silver dragon with perked ears and a curious expression. Knox listens with care, considering her words and treating them like gentle, dying things in the night. Has she forgotten then? Still, the chances of her being the one and the same... Manhattan is simply being friendly.

And strangely enough, so is he. "Chances are you two were once bonded," the old colt proffers wisely, lifting his head and nickering towards Tinek. Perhaps the dragon is as friendly as she says; it would be strange to feel the touch of scales for the first time against his blood-marked, dappled skin; new and exciting to experience the famed gentle ways of the dragon. But he cannot allow himself too fall to deep into distraction; her question to him remains. Has he forgotten? Perhaps some, yes; but not all. "For a time, the Goddess of the Moon took from me my sight. I met a mare who led me to safety and shelter; to a place where I could heal. I thought you may have been she, but it seems neither of us are in the position to say for sure if we might know each other," he says, speaking slightly more than usual- feeling more at ease than usual.

The scent of blood on his flesh has begun to fade; the image of the dead haunting him is leaving. "Though... I don't think it matters," Knox says then. He is different now than he was before. Darker, perhaps, but she seems to be the same. They are all changing, at all times. Manhattan, leaning on hind legs and striking up at the air as she squats in a mock-hunters stance, barking playfully at the dragon, is still the apple of his eye, even without her emotions occupying his cold heart. "Whatever faint memories may remain, perhaps we should simply start anew," the dark young thing says as he looks on and out, over the ocean. His eyes mirror its blue, and as he turns to her they carry with him a strange, twisted sort of hope. Strange that a murderer, one so intimate with death and his part to play, can feel such hope after so long a time lived in darkness.

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>