the Rift

Barking up the Wrong Tree [Phaedra, Avira]

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable

Ash from the heart of this land slowly poisoned his being. The tender leaves of his lifeplant, fresh and green, withered in the smoky haze, and his throat began to dry as the sky's darkness and impurity of the air left him malnourished. He felt weak and tired most days since the eclipse, which hung low and unforgiving in the sky. It taunted him, keeping him on the brink of life with what little light it shed, yet leaving him empty all the same.

Birch was an image of nature, with his arborun figure wrapped in a shroud of ash and yet dripping with snow. For more than embers floated through the arid heat; warm as it was, the draft still summoned his snow. It fluttered about him, more as a comfort than anything else, and brought him temporary relief. The cold wet soaked through to bone to counteract the heat of the fire. In a strange way he felt whole and content in his own paradoxical world.

He dared himself to step closer to the heart; perhaps because of the threat it posed, perhaps simply out of curiosity. But Birch had not been curious for quite some time. A sense of security had followed his apathy; had he been a curious sort, a noble or kind sort, he would have returned home.

But now there wasn't such a thing as home, not that home anyway. He had walked away and let it all burn. Burn like the fires in the heart that reflected in his pale snow eyes- burn eternal and bright until it filled the mind and tore every leaf from every tree. That was the way he had let his family die, and that was why now, alone, he was drawn to the fire. For what it reminded him of.

Pity.

birch</style>
& his misery</style>

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
[Image: 50bfc82451215]

PHAEDRA

Annoyed.

Phae was annoyed. Annoyed at her quest (What good is love, anyways?!), annoyed at Levi for caring about her (why the fuck do men have to complicate things?!), furious at Leander (*expletives*). The only one she possibly wasn't annoyed at, was Tolio, her gay bestfriend (Who would never return her possibly-in-love feelings for him - WHICH I DON'T HAVE!). Is this what schizophrenia felt like? Or was this just being apathetic towards your own life? Merely listening to your mind hash things out, but not actively participating? Even thinking of it as a separation between her mind, and her, should have indicated her growing detachment from the world. When she came to Helovia, she had thought things were different; she wouldn't have to run anymore. To be afraid. Those she met, however, were proving her wrong. She was committed to the idea that there must be something in the water, which changed the stallions here. In her past, Phae had flirted with all the males that she met; for protection. They viewed her as some pretty gem - for her natural beauty was not to be ignored - something to keep for themselves, often privately. She didn't mind indulging them from time to time, to keep their desire for her, but it was always without emotion, at least, without love. That was what she needed. She was built for speed, for the air, not for fighting. She needed them to protect her, not to love her.

Phaedra was too focused on being frustrated, that she forgot to practise being sneaky. Later, she would remind herself that Spy's should be without emotion, and that perhaps fully cutting herself off from the rest of the Helovian's might be a good idea. For now, she was practically stomping through the Heart. Her tall frame did not thicken, even in FrostFall. She had been drawn down from the skies to the warmth emitted from this place. As she walked, the figure of Birch slowly materialized out of the haze caused by the immense heat. Phae's green gaze widened in alarm - and her wings shot from her sides ready to take flight. As she did this, an incredible pain echoed through her wings. Turning her head, she saw fresh blood seeping onto her now-white feathers. She was still unsure what had caused her wings to turn from tawny and spotted, to prestine and white, but she did know what had caused them to bleed. Or who. Leander She thought bitterly. She had avoided flying as much as possible, to allow her wings time to heal. Fuck. Grimacing, she shook her wings slightly, causing beeds of blood to bounce from her feathers which repelled most of the liquid, anyways.

Focusing on Birch again, she noticed two things which relaxed her somewhat; that he was ground-bound, and that he was male. These were her two favourite attributes in a stranger. Men, were her specialty. And if all went to hell, she could easily escape them in the skies. Could.. her mind reminded her, flaring pain through her wings again. As her gaze fell over the large stallion again, she noticed that the foliage she presumed was growing behind him, was actually growing from him. Fascinating.. She thought. It also meant that if she needed to, she could probably outrun him on the ground. His large frame didn't look built for speed..Stepping closer, she now noticed that there was snow falling around him. But how could that be? Unsure of what odd power such a beast could contain, Phae was suddenly very releaved that the Grey had let her keep the protective amulet which she now wore around her neck.

Saying nothing, Phae stepped forward again, flanking him on his right. She kept her wings unfurled, acting as though she was warming the under-side of her feathers. She cast a flirtatious look his way, but said nothing. He didn't exactly look like a talker. Still...something intrigued her deeply, about him. Subconciously, it probably had more to do with how primitive he looked; how literally rooted in nature he seemed. An unknown feeling stirred deep in her belly, causing a deep blush to appear on her sooty features. Still, that could have been from the heat.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

HP: 45.5

Avira Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

A . v . i . r . A
pegasus | mare | 15.2hh | 8 years | unclaimed

Through the sky the she flew. High above the clouds. Mindlessly releasing any built stress throughout her soul. Emptying any hurt within her emotions, or the possible confusion she may cause herself. Avira replayed the memories of her mother. The mom she deeply missed and truly wished she could see again. Avira knew that the sight of her mother would never be delivered, for that would mean her mother would have followed her here. Her mother wouldn't do that. She wouldn't leave, well more like couldn't. All because of Avira and her mother's odd colorations the two were treated like complete and total strangers within their own home. Treated as if they were slaves with nothing good to ever come from them. Deemed worthless and disgusting. Pushed around and made fun of. The art on the mustangs form was pure beauty. Difference that they couldn't handle. Electric blue eyes would hold this opinion with deep regard when she would look upon someone else.

It was the clouds that never judged her. No they gave her comfort when she felt lonely. Down in the dumps. Low on the chain. Abyss, she remembered him. The dark stories he told her. Extreme tense feelings growing between the two but now as far as she flies, as low as she goes, wherever she travels... he is no where to be found. Lost in the endless grey of nothing. Probably disgusted with her as much as the rest. It hurt her even more. Today she fell into a depressed state. Sorrowful tears quietly dancing down her cheeks. Wings tilted down and she began to fall from the sky. Within moments she folded them up. Like a bullet she dived down. Unknowingly above Phaedra and Birch. The whirling wind deafening her ears. A chill of the air smashed her face harshly. Tears drying roughly. Lips parted with force.

Her blue eyes caught the forms of two beings, distant and tiny, but still there. To refrain from any further foolish acts she unfolded her wings. Slowing the fall but still she descended. Hovering and leaning to the left she circled the two. A feeling of guilt and sorrow surrounded her. Affecting the landing she normally made, blue hooves instead of smoothly flowing with the earth collided with a thud, and she stomped the ground roughly. Carelessly as to any damage it would cause her internally. Though her form was sturdy and muscular, such a hard hit with as much force behind her could easily fracture a bone if weak enough or the landing was hit just right. Neither Birch nor Phaedra was speaking, it was silent. Avira felt odd and once again foolish. Maybe they quit speaking because of what she was.

Then again, what was that on Birch. A tree? Yes a tree. A literal tree growing on him. Sprouting at the shoulder but growing from his legs. Like the seed was planted right in his chest cavity, as if the roots grew outside and spiraled down his leg. White eyes with splashes of other color. Red around the fetlocks area. He couldn't judge. He had no room to do such. Avira was honestly thrilled that someone was just as different, if not even more unique, than her. Even though it did not alter her mood of sorrow. Pitiful darkness brewing like a storm around her entire body. Two-toned brown body quietly shifting to one side, relaxing with interest. Tail feathers ruffled in invisible annoyance, blue hooves grounded to the rock. "Since no one wants to go first, I'm Avira." a lick of sarcasm on her tongue but there was care and grace more evident in her voice. She was kind and her blue eyes, even in hurt, showed the most obvious signs of unconditional love.

Birch Posts: 37
Windtossed Foothills Warrior
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 84 Months
Adoptable

Suddenly, the world wasn't empty anymore. It was filled with teeming life, with voices and rustling feathers. Filled with the warmth of bodies and the scent of mares- two mares. To his right a creature of the earth, covered in a sooty brown and white. To his left arrived a darker creature; he wondered if the shadow permeated her mind as well. Her wings, equally impressive, seemed as if they had been dipped in the ocean and kept its hue. The two of them were gorgeous, really. They were svelte and nimble, clearly capable of taking to the sky and treating it like land. They were different, and he assumed like he. These were no mere equines or unicorns. Just as he, and supposedly that mare in the foothills Archibald had mentioned, were the rare arborun of this land, these two seemed to be something of their own as well. A different, avian-kind.

He stood in silence, keeping his head facing forward and trying not to react to their splendor. He considered what to call them, but concluded that 'avian' was descriptive enough. He normally would have despised their company, but they seemed peaceful enough. The dark one had attempted to make conversation of a sort, but he brushed it aside for a moment or two. He was enjoying the crackle of the earth as it crumbled off and burned in the heart below- was relishing in the hissing sound of his own snow as it fell against the heat. They could wait for him to introduce themselves- they'd be lucky if he did it at all.

The volume of the snow increased but its speed did not. It grew thicker and laid a blanket across the earth and his hide, but still the warm thermals that the mares had rode in on pushed it away. The Arborun focused all his efforts, but he could only do so much in the heat without causing a storm. With a sigh, he turned to the sooty brown mare and lowered his head significantly to level it with hers; brought it close to make her uncomfortable. "It seems our company wants a conversation," he said with a wry smile and a heavy breath to tickle her nose, using the excuse for interaction to push away the haunting sensation of the fire's warmth against his skin which permeated the snow. He lifted his armored boot and let it drag through the icy covering with a rough motion. "Very well then, I'll show you mine if you show me yours," the arborun said more loudly as he lifted his head away and took a few steps backwards and away from the edge of the heart so as to address them both. The snow followed him, falling towards him as if he were a magnet.

He watched the pair with snow eyes, catching the flirtatious look of the one that seemed more like an owl to him and returning it with a cold, aloof one of his own. Whether or not it was flirtatious was up to interpretation, but regardless of what she thought, he was not feeling the love; at least not tonight. "Clearly none of us are the normal. So if you'll tell me a little more about yourselves, I might be inclined to share myself," he began with a sardonic upturn of his lips and a dry intonation. So the ocean-dipped mare was Avira, big deal. He wanted to know more than their calling cards, he wanted to know what the hell they even were."Come on now, ladies," Birch said with an impatient shuffle of his adorned hoof, "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity here."

And oh, how long a lifetime was.

birch</style>
& his misery</style>

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
[Image: 50bfc82451215]

PHAEDRA

Phae had to force her gaze not to narrow with distain as Avira landed. She didn’t like other mares on the best of days and definitely not pegasi, and especially not when other men were around. Oh, Phae wasn’t afraid of a little friendly competition, in that regard, but most mares had rather primitive and feminist views when it came to using their Gods-given talents, when it came to men. Phae on the other hand, held no such limitations. However, Avira was part of The Grey, and for the sake of the trust that Ophelia had placed in her, she would be respectful of other members.

Since no one wants to go first, I'm Avira. Phae bore her emerald gaze into the growing mound of snow Birch was creating, forcing herself to lose herself in the oddity of snow in this place. What a stupid thing to say She thought harshly. And it wasn’t as if Avira was young, she was likely twice Phae’s age, so why the naïve conversation starter? As her mind filled with more viscous critiques of the other pegasi, she became aware of movement, as Birch turned his large head towards her. His size was almost frighteningly large – it wasn’t that he was simply so much taller than She, but it was his bulk that was incredible. She felt like some fragile figurine next to him; she was built for speed and flight, and over her life her muscles had grown long and lean, her frame narrow and slender. Next to Birch she felt extremely feminine and shiny, as her name would indicate. And she found that she liked that feeling. It seems our company wants a conversation . Her pink nose wrinkled slightly, as she breathed in his earthy scent mixing with her own cinnamony-lilac odor. She raised a brow flirtatiously, holding his gaze with a seductive-confidence for as long as he kept his muzzle near hers.

She watched with a hungry desire as he scraped his armored boot along the ice-covered rock, her gaze alight with awe. Fascinating.. She thought, eyeing Birch as he took a few steps back, appearing to make an effort to include Avira in the conversation. As he shot her a rather cold glance, a mischievous smile contorted her features; however prehistoric Birch appeared, he was not some great dumb thing, she concluded. No…but he’s certainly something.

Clearly none of us are the normal. So if you'll tell me a little more about yourselves, I might be inclined to share myself… Come on now, ladies, This is a once in a lifetime opportunity here. Phae again arched a brow with interest, Is it now she thought with amusement. Once in a lifetime opportunity, eh?. Gracefully the sooty palomino stepped lightly towards Birch, ignoring the chill on her limbs as she fetl the temperature drop in his ring of snow. She extended her wing slightly, moving her longest flight feather towards him. He had played chicken with her earlier – seemingly trying to make her flinch by positioning his large-self so close to her; now she would return the favour. Her green gaze sought his white-flecked stare; she moved as if to trace her feathers gently along the base of his growth?, where bark seemed to meld into flesh. This was a move she commonly did with males – touching them ever so softly, often eliciting pleasurable goose bumps. She was unsure of the effect it would have on this sort of flesh, however, but as he was the one to emphasize their differences she didn’t think it was off limits. As she retracted her wing, feigning a demur smile, she tilted her head coquettishly. ”Sugar, you’ve just found yourself in the presence of two members of the The Grey She said, emphasizing The Grey as if it were some mysterious underground organization. In a way, it was. The group was both known, and unknown, in that many knew of the Grey, but fewer knew its purpose, or its members.

Turning her slender muzzle towards his shoulder, and raising it slightly to near his own, she let her scent of cinnamon and lilac waft towards him, as he had done to her earlier, her eyes glittering playfully. ”The rest, I suggest you find you on your own She whispered, her voice sultry and inviting. Teasingly, she arched her neck prettily, side stepping lithely away from him. ”Unless there is something specific you’d like to know?”

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

HP: 45.5