the Rift

Take Your Coat at the Door [Sohalia]

Rowan Posts: 76
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: 3 Years 4 Months
Brit

Was this what accomplishment felt like?

Rowan paused as she thought over this. Sohalia, in the Throat, where Rowan could delight in her friendly company every day? Having encouraged her to try and join? Yes. She was sure this was accomplishment. And some profound happiness that made her giddy as a love struck filly in spring. Ironically it was almost on the mark if she were actually in love. Oh no, Rowan. Don't go there. A bright, if shy, smile had decorated her chocolate visage the entire trip. Perhaps she could not hold herself aloft in the skies like her pearl painted friend, but Rowan appreciated her not flying. Platinum blonde hair fell over oceanic eyes, bright and colored as if sunlight was striking summer waters deep with secrets just as the sea did. The amount of time it took to get to the Dragon's Throat was of no consequence to the tiny little woman.

A friend. She had a friend. It made her seem withdrawn, unlikable to say it in such a way. Perhaps delusional to be so ecstatic over it. Rowan did not care if anyone thought or said such a thing about her. Life was dark, foggy. Often the young girl felt as though she were stumbling through life. Trying to find a purpose, who she was. Sohalia made her smile. Made the burden lighten up from her shoulders. Rowan had never really had friends before, even as a filly. Depressing but it only made the sweetness of this day even greater. Delighted irises sought out Sohalia. "I hope I'm not boring you, I can be rather quiet. I'm afraid I'm not used to having others around to talk to." Unashamed to admit this to her precious new sister in arms. If loneliness was a battle. At least Sohalia wasn't overly loud or outgoing. Rowan was skittish around such persons, unless they questioned her strength. Small but packed a punch. The desert was blooming before her eyes and she had never found the sight of it more welcoming. Now, she was not returning with grief laden mind. No, this time she arrived with a companion. Someone to run to when dark nights kept her awake with pained thoughts. Someone to keep her in the borders, help her find happiness and meaning again. For extending her friendship towards Rowan, the made would do anything in return for Sohalia.

Never underestimate the power of a smile and a kind word. These two things, given to her in the form of the winged fae, had completely transformed Rowan's outlook on the world.

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

It is not without a sense of fear that I approach the Dragon's Throat. As I contemplate the land before me, where dirt turns into sand, where signs of life all but disappear, save for the distant oasis that I assume is the herd's land, I realize that had I been younger, the concept of living in a dragon's throat would have scared me silly. But I am not a filly anymore; I am a grown mare, and now my fears are entirely different. What if they don't like me? What if they send me away? Worse, what if they accept me, and I get to know them, and they me, and I come to love them as my family? And what if I lose them, like I did my family? Which fate is worse?

Rowan leads the way, and I follow meekly; we are silent, and for that I am not ungrateful. I am taking a leap of faith to follow my friend into her herd, and I wonder if she has ever felt the same way. Has she ever been a loner? What is she in this herd - does she feel out of place? Is that where I come in? I am glad to be arriving with one with whom I already feel close; if I were simply approaching on my own, I know that I would balk, dig my hooves into the sand and run away, far away. I know that I would not be able to do this on my own; and yet, it is a necessity that I join the herd here, that I settle down, that I make myself useful. There are many things that I have found in my travels, but never a family. Never a friend. I wish to have more loved ones, to help others, to be more than what I am.

"I hope I'm not boring you," Rowan's voice rings out softly. "I can be rather quiet. I'm afraid I'm not used to having others around to talk to." I smile, nudging her shoulder playfully. "Silence has never bothered me," I assure her. "I haven't really had anyone to talk to either." I fall back into a comfortable silence. I would not be averse to conversation; I have many questions about this land. But I am not going to seek out words where there are none. If she wants to talk, wonderful. If not, silence suits me just fine. I have always been withdrawn this way, I suppose, a trait furthered by my time spent alone. Will I grow out of it? Maybe.

"talk talk talk"

I want to live inspired

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Deceased
Brit

There is no way Rowan can read Sohalia's mind. Peer into the swirl of emotions she can guess is going on inside her petite body. However she can relate, to the best of her abilities. She had been recruited by a vapid, intimidating man who ended up being a living dead creature and watched him try and fail to attack the leader of the Throat. It had been a hard entrance for her that she didn't like remembering, which is why she wanted to give Sohalia the moral support she surely needed. Both were similar in their quiet natures, used to the lonely life of an outcast. They would both have to ride out the bumps and hills sure and soon to come through life as a herd member. Even in this situation Sohalia had two things going for her that the blonde manes woman did not. Wings, and an experience of family. Rowan was barebacked and knew the company only of one other. Family was a foreign concept to her. 

She walks close to the mercury painted pegasus, trying to offer support in her physical presence. Talking is something that is still a struggle for Rowan, as she's used to observing things and recording them into her photographic memory. Never speaking. Never being seen. Yet he forces herself to, voice much too soft and light for her liking. Will she ever outgrow her shyness? But it earns we a friendly nudge to her shoulder, so she smiles and focuses on that one motion instead. Turning her head to brush her muzzle over Sohalia's fetlock. "That reassures me greatly. But now, should either of us be inclined, we can talk to each other." Having a friend, someone to turn to if she needed to, is such a strange feeling. But it's not a bad one. Rowan knows she simply has to get used to it at first. 

The ground beneath them is pure sand now and they approach the oasis. Cooler sand hits her hooves and she pauses here. Should she call one of the leaders now? Was it necessary right now? Better to play it safe, she decides. Tilting her head back and calling out in a soft, beckoning bugle for someone to come and help her welcome Sohalia to the Throat. Smiling encouragingly as she turns to face her friend. "Are you curious about anything?" It would probably help ease her anxiety to know about the herd, or so Rowan hoped.

SOHALIA

"Are you curious about anything?"

Am I curious about anything? I am curious about everything. I want to know everything there is to know about this land and its inhabitants. How do they survive in the desert? Is the oasis really enough to support them? How hot does it get? Are the nights cooler? What is herd life like? Does Rowan like any of them, or does she even know any of them? Will I like them? Or will I simply retreat inside myself and avoid contact with them? But I won't ask her all of these questions - I'm sure it would just be overwhelming! Instead, I try to filter through the myriad of thoughts cavorting through my mind and find one, one at a time. I tilt my head, her call to her brethren still ringing in my auds, and then I smile. "I'm curious about quite a lot," I admit.

Part of my reasoning for joining a herd is gaining a purpose in life. I have become stagnant, unsure of my direction, undecided on how to proceed. Of course, I seek magic from the Sun God, but what will I do with the ability to commune with ghosts? How will I be able to use this skill without having a direction? What kinds of jobs are there in a herd? "I suppose I will find out about the land on my own," I muse aloud. "But I do want to know - what kind of role will I take up as a part of your herd? Do I get to choose what I do with my time?"

[OOC | omg.... I'm so sorry for the crappy post.]

"talk talk talk"

I want to live inspired

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
Brit

Sohalia fell to a contemplative silence at Rowan's question. The flaxen maned doll didn't mind, knowing better than anybody the comfort your own mind could bring. Cassiopeia had shown her that her intelligence and lust for knowledge was a double edged sword indeed. However she could control the bad side of it, change how she looked at what she now considered a gift. It had changed her, molded her into someone who walked with growing confidence. She owed her new mindset to her mentor. Yanked from her thoughts when Sohalia admitted sheepishly that she did in fact have a few questions. Rowan smiled understandingly, knowing the myriad of questions that assaulted the mind when making such a big decision. 

Rowan sensed she didn't say everything she wanted to know, but it was a very vital question. "When you first join, you are automatically a citizen. However you can choose to take on a mentor. I'm a Scholar, my mentor is Cassiopeia. Scholars apprentice under the Oracle to learn knowledge and how to read the world. You can choose to be a Medic and apprentice under our Shaman, Onni. A soldier under our Generals, Midas and Azzuen. An apprentice under the Artisan, however ours has turned rouge and left with a prisoner so it's still empty." Rowan's face turned a little dark here. It had been a blow to the Throat when Bazilisk had left, leaving behind eager followers and a wall that was still in the works. Rowan hadn't known him personally but was still disappointed that this had happened to them. "Or an informant under our Sleuth, Xira. They are all proud positions and after two lessons from your mentor you are considered skilled. It is a great way to meet new people, and learn new things. Whatever fits you best. I would encourage you to find a mentor. Mine has helped me substantially, and I enjoy what I do immensely. However you will still always have your freedom, and you can do whatever you want with your time. Kri, our Sultana, has declared we not leave the borders alone too often. But that's what I'm here for!" Laughing softly and nudging Sohalia's shoulder lightly with her own. Deep chocolate a sharp contrast to the other mare's soft pearly cream. It was difficult for her to speak so much, and the discomfort was visible, but Rowan was more than willing to feel uncomfortable for Sohalia's sake. 

[[Gah that was terrible]]

SOHALIA

I listen carefully as she describes the ranks within the herd. For most, she seems happy enough to discuss them, but at the mention of the Artisan, something darkens in her demeanor. I can understand being upset that one of the highest ranked members of the herd had run off with a prisoner, but was there something more there that she was not telling me? Who had the prisoner been, anyway? I push it out of my mind - these are all questions for later, perhaps. Instead, my thoughts turn to my own goals. What do I want to do?

I run over the options that Rowan has listed in my mind. I wouldn't be a soldier - I've no stomach for fighting, preferring diplomacy over violence. I know that it is my past that has made me this way, but I don't mind this time. I would much rather live in peace. I couldn't be an informant either, I realize, as I am not in the least sneaky, nor do I have the desire to snatch others from their homes. I suppose being an Artisan would be acceptable - it might be quite fun to create things! - but without an Artisan to teach me, how in the world would I manage to do anything? So it was down to healing and learning, then. I am a bit skittish around the injured, blood reminding me of the destruction of my home. Could I get over that to save others' lives?

I shake my head, aware that my silence has gone on long enough. If being a scholar is my desire, I can always ask Rowan how she likes it. But that will come later, for she has given quite the speech, and I know how little she normally talks. I smile at her and prance in place slightly, acting a fool to make her laugh. My antics are accompanied by a gentle nudge to return her own. "Thank you," I tell her once I have settled once more. "Who must I seek out to gain acceptance into the herd?" It will be my last question, but worry colors my vocals. What if they do not accept me?

"talk talk talk"

I want to live inspired

Deceased
Brit

It was a lot to take in, even Rowan knew that and she'd been the one to say it all. It put her in a hard position but she didn't mind. Sohalia deserved to know what she was getting into. Discomfort could be set aside if it meant her fears were quelled and her curiosity sated. Sohalia seemed to mull over this for quite a while. Rowan didn't blame her. She too had spent a long time deciding what she wanted to do with her days. Soldier had been a close second, but she couldn't deny her inquisitive nature. It was impossible to ignore the fact that she needed to learn things. She was glad to have chosen it now, after meeting her wonderful mentor. Rowan hoped that Sohalia would find something that suited her just as well, even if it would make them partners. In fact that would be wonderful.

Sohalia's words shook her from her thoughts and she quickly listened back in. Waving the thanks away with a smile and instead facing her second question. "Kri is our Sultana. She is usually very good on answering those who need her. If not our generals Midas and Azzuen would happily guide you. And I can remain with you, or call for Kri if you would like? I won't make you face this alone." Voice and face going soft. The way Sohalia had worded it she seemed almost to think she would have to find Kri on her own. Rowan wouldn't let that happen. Surely it would be scary, and Rowan was definitely going to be there for her friend. 

SOHALIA

My dear friend's presence is a comfort, and without her, I would no doubt be flying back the way I had come without looking back. Though fear riddles my thoughts, I find strength in her quiet companionship, and I am ever-grateful. I think of many things in this moment: the quest that the Sun God has given me, the lover the Phaedra may have found me, and I wonder how they will all fit together. I hold a vast amount of faith in the gods, that they will lay my path for me, if I will but follow. I hope that they will lead me true, and show me my true purpose. I hope that the journey begins here.

"I won't make you face this alone." Relief floods through me, and I hope that she will always be there to encourage me. I have been alone for far too long, I realize, and I desperately need the support of someone like Rowan. She and I understand each other on a deep level, far deeper than the bonds I have briefly shared with others over the seasons. For that, I am truly grateful, and yet I know that I will never be able to express it to her as I wish I could. "Thank you," my vocals are soft, but they gain confidence as I continue. "I suppose we should call for Kri, or Azzuen, or Midas."

"talk talk talk"

I want to live inspired