the Rift

risk it all.

Rose Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The fresh smell of adventure seemed to call to Rose in ways other things could not. She was always moving, always going somewhere, doing something—it didn’t matter what, but she couldn’t stand to be stationary for any reasonable amount of time. Rose’s mother had tried in vain to keep her still, silent, and well mannered, but her efforts went unheeded by the creamy minx. Where was the fun in that, anyways? Laughed Rose in her head, internally tsk-ing at her silly mother for even trying to control the young femme’s wildness. As if anyone could tame me. Laughing audibly this time—very audibly—the mare pushed herself faster through the grass on the rolling hills leading to the thick forest below. She loved the feeling of the sun on her back and the wind pushing and whipping her mane and tail out like banners behind her. Her black hooves thundered underneath her, pounding down the dirt beneath. A light sweat was starting to foam up around her neck and hindquarters, but Rose didn’t mind. She was quite athletic for a girl, able to beat most anyone who tried to race her. But for as good as she ran, she had no idea how to fight. Sure, she’d been in scuffles with her siblings, who hasn’t? However, the true art of battle escaped her. She was sure she could learn in given time, but thus far, she’d been unable to find anyone willing to really teach her. They all saw her as a silly, vapid femme—while that was true on the surface, Rose had a wealth of emotions within. She was quite capable of being deeply loving and devoted, but had issues expressing herself seriously. Rose sighed. Maybe that was why she couldn’t seem to form a lasting relationship. She just couldn’t imagine a world where she’d settle down and live a sedate, mundane life. Wasn’t that why she left in the first place? Her mother and father had arranged her to be mated to a knight, quite a lovely stallion, but so serious. He never laughed at Rose’s antics or jokes, he never smiled, he just stood there, stern and silent. He made Rose feel shallow and insignificant, stupid and childish. She’d tried to resign herself to her fate, she tried to make Mich like her. But he didn’t and she couldn’t bear to live with that for the rest of her life, treated like property and suppressed.

At the young age of five, she wasn’t ready to be the quiet demure minx most stallions looked for. So as much as it pained her to leave—it was her home, the only thing she’d ever known, after all—one night after all had fallen asleep, she quickly and quietly slipped away, hidden under the blackness of a new moon. Even her cream coat couldn’t haven been distinguished in the inky night, she was sure of it. Though now it was noon, and she was sure they’d noticed her absence. Surreptitiously Rose glanced behind her, her brown eyes scanning the crest of the hill behind her. No one. Breathing a sigh of relief, she slowed her breakneck pace to a jaunty trot as she entered the dark forest, the place that was destined to be her new home—if she found it satisfactory, that is. Rose was surprised at how very alive this forest was. She could practically feel the world around her breathing, the trees all inhaled and exhaled in harmony, the squirrels twittered to themselves and to their neighbors and scuttled around on the tops of the branches reaching across overhead of the path. Birds chirped among the canopy, flapping in surprise when she came too close. A delighted laugh came from Rose. Already she was in love with the forest and its inhabitants—this surprised her, she never thought she’d like a place so claustrophobic and closed in, being as used to the open plains as she was. She continued onwards down the path, further and further away from the familiar sunshine and horizon lines that she knew so well. This was all part of her life’s adventure, right? Experiencing new things, always searching for the next wonder or thrill. Rose was satisfied with her decision to leave. However, the loneliness hadn’t set in quite yet—Rose was young and inexperienced, she had always had the support of her family and herd around her, keeping her company. How long could she last without a support structure of some type, before the loneliness sets in and wears away at Rose's free spirit?

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[Image: tortable.png]
[I saw she had no reply D: So I thought I'd send him to greet her]

The Threshold came into view once again. Torasin enjoyed his trips here, who knows who you might find lurking around on the edges. Each stride was carefree, his coat rippled in his bouncy motions, blonde mane dancing on his neck. There was a brown flash between the trees and a colourful trilling noise as Kiba played about, swerving and diving in playful flight. The blistering heat that smeared the lands was now becoming bearable with each passing day as his body acclimatized to its intense heat. Torasin was pretty sure he could survive for a fair while in desert conditions now. His thoughts were wondering as they usually did, some on long ago events but most of the time they seemed to linger on Brooke. After their visit to the Grove, Torasin had been pretty pleased with himself recently and excited for the chance to meet his child! He would love it beyond reason, he knew that already.

The scent of another lurched the paint stallion out of his reverie and he bounced off in the direction of the newcomer. The Qian was always in need of more members, and Torasin knew the land well enough to recommend other herds. Kiba, the lithe brown dragon, flew down from his antics and landed with awesome precision on Tor's back.

She was a beautiful mare, pale in colour much like the patches on his fur. The femme also seemed to be of similar aging to Torasin himself. She also looked a little lost. Prizing himself to be one of the finest gentleman among equines, Tor pranced forwards a little then stopped at a respectable distance. His head bowed extravagantly in greeting and Kiba looked curiously between his ears, "g'day ma'am! Are you perchance a little lost? I would be terribly flattered if you let me help you" he beamed in her direction. As sunny and optimistic as ever, it often got him into trouble more times than he'd care to happen.

Rose Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The heat of this place went from welcome and warm to draining and hellish quite fast. Wind could not reach into the thick woven braches of the trees, and their green canopies full of summer leaves clung to the moisture and humidity in the air, making it miserable to stand still for too long. Rose panted with exertion. The action was unfamiliar to her; she almost never got this completely winded. This was only natural due the lovely athletic combination of thoroughbred from her father and quarter horse from her mother that made up Rose. Perhaps if I was part Arabian I could deal with this ungodly heat better, Rose quipped to herself. Laughing quietly, she continued down the trail she’d been following for the past few days. Dust swirled into the air with each step of her hoof, proof of the lack of rain the area had received recently. A sudden noise caused the white mare to pause and be still. Her ears twitched toward the source of the noise—the branches of the trees toward her left flank. It was a strange sing songy sound, almost like a bird… but not quite the same. The trills were shriller, less lyrical, almost sounding as if metallic surfaces rubbed against one another. Rose let out a confused snort and continued walking though her pace was slightly faster than it had been before, her ears now trained to the disruption of the forest quiet and eyes squinted in distrust. Her sooty gray nostrils flared, trying to pick up the scent of what she was now sure to be her stalker or future murderer. However, the trills were fading in the distance behind her—either she was putting more distance between them by walking away or they were going in the other direction that she was travelling in. Either is fine by me, Rose thought, satisfied that she would not die or be sacrificed in some satanic ritual tonight. Maman did always warn me about the dark rituals that strangers might practice… Rose giggled again. It seemed that she was in quite a giggly mood today, not that it was a bad thing. Indeed, it seemed her only source of entertainment in this forest was herself. She had not happened upon another equine since she’d left her little herd on the plains. Perhaps she wasn’t looking hard enough? Rose resolved to be more attentive to her surroundings, lest she miss the next settlement altogether.

Some hours passed in relative silence, the only interruptions being the occasional tired twitter from the birds when she roamed too close to their nests. But soon enough Rose heard footfalls crashing in the thick grass to the side and then transfer over to the hard, compacted dirt of the trail. She’d already turned around to greet the stranger, though first her attention did not go to him, but to the creature living upon his strong back. Mon dieu! Qu’est-ce que c’est? What could that possibly be? It was brown and scaly, though small enough not to scare Rose. It was beautiful, in some odd, mysterious way. She wondered idly if that creature had been the source of the noises that had driven her further into the forest. Once her attention had been satisfied on the scaly beast, Rose could turn her light brown eyes toward the stranger that it perched on. He was a lovely color, a palomino paint with a matching creamy mane and tail. He bowed to her, low and polite. She bowed to him as well and nickered her approval of his manners. He seems like quite the gentleman, the pale minx assumed, perhaps he has a touch of français in him. All of her French notions were doused, however, when the stallion spoke. “g’day ma’am! Are you perchance lost? I would be terribly flattered if you let me help you”. His accent puzzled her; she’d never heard something quite like it before. It was almost English, in a way. A flash of brown near his temple distracted Rose from finishing her thoughts on that. It seemed his little companion was looking between his ears. Rose’s eyes sparked with amusement, and she answered the partially gold steed before her.

“Oui monsieur, I am lost for now, though I’m sure this trail eventually leads to somewhere, at which point I will not be lost any longer.”

Her words betrayed her French ancestry, the distinctive soft lilt lending airiness and aesthetics to her words. She continued on, answering the second part of his introduction.

“If you would like to aidez-moi, I’m all ears, monsieur.”

ooc: aw, thanks<3 (maman=mom, qu’est-ce que c’est=what is it, aidez-moi=help me)

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
In the dry heat of the silence. there comes a noise. Wispy and quiet it is just barely loud enough to be discerned. Moments of this odd, wispy sound pass before giant butterflies, the size of volleyballs, descend upon the gathered two. These butterflies are not only giant, but also seem to exude cool air. Their mere presence is enough to lower the temperature by a few degrees but, when they alight upon the skin of the two horses, it is as if they are engulfed in cooling ice.

They stay, the butterflies, for perhaps a minute before they leave. With a great, quiet whoosh they leave their perches and begin to fly away. As the last one leaves, their gifts are revealed. Torasin has fresh, cool, red roses weaved into his mane and tail which will remain so for a week before they die and fall from his locks. Dancing Rose seems to be favored though, for in her mane and tail they have weaved the most beautiful rubies of varying size. The rubies are not terribly noticeable, but glimmer faintly from where they lay, like shining red flowers.

Gossamer the Benevolent Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16hh :: 13
Illusion{Illu}
Gossamer misses the butterflies, but comes a few minutes later, striding into the area the two occupy with a regal grace. Her steps float upon the ground and her mane and tail float about her in a haze. Today is a good day as she stands firm in the knowledge that her herd is safe and strong. Thus the Benevolent finds herself eye to eye with Torasin....who had roses in his hair. She raises and eyebrow but nods to him all the same. "Hello Torasin, I hope you've been faring well in this heat"

Following this she turns her gentle gaze to the mare. She is a pretty pale color with rubies woven amongst her mane and tail. She seems feisty but good. Gossamer is careful not to probe her thoughts, but merely sense what is on the surface, and she sees nothing amiss with this one. True to her name, a kind and benevolent smile spreads across her face and she introduces herself to the traveler. "Greetings traveler, I am Gossamer the Benevolent, Chieftess of the Windtossed Foothills. Might you be looking for someplace to stay? " Her gaze, while regal and strong, is kind and true. No hint of anger or malice can be found anywhere in her nature.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi
[I don't think Im going to have time to reply before I go away and I don't want to hold it up xD feel free to skip Torasin. He will just play with his new flowers and say hello to Gossamer]