the Rift

[phaedra, open] the sound of a breaking heart

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

TOR
a mare who is forever wandering, bound by nothing but her mind

The affects of the drugs Tor had come to call moonshine was finally beginning to wear off. No longer did the earth spin and glow in toxic greens and yellows and indigos bright- instead it settled down, the trees anchoring their roots into the earth. Tor had actually, in a strange way, enjoyed the fungi inducing hallucinations, if not for the difficulty of speaking coherently and not sounding crazy. Even now, the healer was still missing a step here and there, co-ordination skewed by the last dregs of moonshine present in her tall body.

Tor's large, soft brown eyes narrowed as the sun hit her face like a physical slap. It rose in all its glory this morning, sending off brilliant rays through the storm-cloud sky. Spring rains. Surely enough the rain would begin soon, falling in sheets and pouring down in rivers and streams, not dripping placidly. Even though the sky was downcast in its garb of soft, mutinous gray, there was a touch or a snap of gold here and there, embroidering it with neat stitches.

Lace. What she... obsessed with him? No, she couldn't be. If she was really obsessed, she would be stalking him. See- I'm walking away from the Edge, not towards it. The mare stumbled, before dragging herself up from the lush carpet of green grass. Closer to the river banks, the world was slippery with mud, but she stayed well away from the treacherous brown liquid that would suck you down under. What could I do to win Lace's love? Maybe... no, she didn't know! He hadn't said why, really, only that he wanted to get to know her better. I can save Mirage. The idea was so ludicrous she had to give herself a laugh. Then the mare's features stilled. I can save Mirage! Yes, that was perfect! She would win respect at least, and it was an act of kindness! Mirage needed her to help when no-one else could give it!

"That's what I'll do!" Tor cried out, still acting a touch stranger than usual. After all, a normal Tor certainly wouldn't begin yelling in the middle of a meadow all alone.

"."

WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
[Image: 50bfc82451215]

PHAEDRA

Phae was really getting sick of walking.

The wounds on her wings had almost healed, but her missing feathers had not re-grown yet. The skin which covered her wing-bones still looked tender and pink, but the pain was not as great as it had been, and the skin was no longer dry and bloody. Closing her eyes, she imagined again the rage in Leander's eyes as he brought an ice-storm down around them both. He seemed unaffected by the sudden biting cold and ice, but Phae had had to drop to her knees and shield herself with her wings, and even then, she was almost certain she would die. On my knee's, before that idiot she thought, not realizing that she was snarling. Leander's time would come; for now, she would fulfill her quest to the God of the Earth.

Phae had just left Note and Levi, Note being a potential suitor for a mare called Sohalia. If Phae was able to find Sohalia, she would bring her to Note, and hopefully they would see stars. Or...hear birds, or whatever happens when you're in love. Phae, who had never been in love, knew little of the subject. She only used men for protection; she let them objectify her. In exchange, they would keep her safe, as if she were some pretty thing that only they were allowed to touch. Phae flicked her tail absently at this thought, and began walking again.

That's what I'll do! As Phae climbed the top of a small knoll, she heard Tor's triumphant cry. Fear shot through her lithe body like an adrenaline rush of ice. Tensing, she spread her wings, wincing at the pain which etched through the unhealed flesh. Should she risk flying, and set back the healing process even further? Her wide-eyed green gaze surveyed the fields, finally landing on the draft mare. Uncertainly, Phae lowered her head, snorting. Tor was almost her exactly opposite, physically. Tor was solidly built, heavily feathered and tall, while Phae was lithely built, sparsely spotted and...well, she certainly wasn't short, but from her vantage point, Tor looked a good 5 inches taller. As she investigated the mare, a slow recognition began to form. Tor? Her mind supplied, with some uncertainty. She had heard of the Grey's healer...and yes, this was the mare who accompanied her to the Basin to offer their services.

Relaxing, Phae folded her wings, which had turned snow-white back to her sides. Raising her head, she began to walk in an arch towards the mare, ears still flickering with uncertainty. Even though they were on the same team, as it were, Phae still had a certain dislike for mares. They were conniving and manipulative, and often didn't take very kindly to Phae's ways of keeping herself safe. Still, Phae believed that if it came down to it, she could probably outrun the larger mare. At least on the sprint. As she neared, she looked around sceptically, expecting to see someone else. Hadn't the mare just said something? Phae shot Tor a puzzled expression, as she discovered that the two mares were alone. "Who are you talking to?"

I did my best, it wasn't much.
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

HP: 45.5

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Unsurprisingly enough, a horse did appear out of nowhere at the sound of her triumphant call, as usual in Helovia. For a moment, Tor's eyes took her in- the lithe, so very feminine build, the white wings patched with raw pink skin showing through, the mare's curious, slightly puzzled voice. "Who are you talking to?" Tor retorted, before getting a handle on her wildly swinging emotions. It was so very poorly behaved of her to act so to one mare who was certainly on her side, not Faelene or Mirage or Lace who were all somewhere in between.

"My apologies, Phaedra. I was experimenting rather foolishly with some medicinal herbs and the effects haven't fully worn off," Her eyes deepened with sorrows that had been buried under the strange effects of the mushrooms she had so stupidly eaten. While Phaedra was, indeed, pondering her own matchmaking quest, Tor was returning to ever more thoughts about a certain grullo stallion with a mask of white cobwebs. Rejection. It was rejection, even if he had disguised it with guilt. True guilt, but nevertheless, with the moonshine playing at her temper, it only made her personality worsen to an unpredictable mare. For now, anyways. Later, she would soon come to her senses in a wave of thrashing guilt and surprise for causing friction between some friends or another.

But the thoughts slipped away to another crevice in the disturbed ant's nest that was Tor's mind, and she refocused on Phaedra with sharper eyes. "I can heal your wings dear. They do look in poorly shape. Whatever did you do to them?" Her voice took on a softer, more comely note, with the taste of regret behind them, but although that may be attributed towards her snapping at the pegasus, it had to do with an friendship that was no longer. Or maybe it was- but now it was at least very awkward, if not worse.

"."

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Who are you talking to? Tor had promptly responded. Phae's ears laid back on her skull for a moment, completely ruining the angelic look that the glistening halo above her head inspired. You obviously. She thought, but said nothing as she watched the mare's demeanour change. Tor quickly apologized, justifying her actions by way of some hallucinogenic herbs. Phae chuckled, she was certainly no stranger to that sort of experience, although she believed she handled the coming down bit, better than Tor currently was. "Maybe that's your problem; they're wearing off" Phae said, her voice sounding mischievous. Her green gaze had lost all of its momentary annoyance at Tor, and now glittered with the same flirtatious light that she usually reserved for stallions. Everyone liked attention, and by the glum look on the draft's face, she could use some.

I can heal your wings dear...

I'm an idiot. Phae thought with amusement. She'd been walking around like a ...well, like a horse for the past few days waiting for her wings to heal. Why the thought hadn't even dawned on her to make use of the Grey's healer, she didn't know. She was still getting used to the idea of belonging somewhere. Graciously, Phae nodded, extending her wings somewhat to show Tor the extent of the damage. "Let's just say I found out the hard way that the wonderful and kind Leander, isn't so wonderful and kind after all." Flicking her wavy tail, she appraised Tor with an obvious interest; in no way hiding that she was checking her out, as they say. For a draft, she wasn't as bulky as Phae would have imagined. She was proportioned well, and Phae thought all of her feathers were rather charming. And she was a healer! What a terrific pick up line. Maybe I picked the wrong line of work... Phae thought, considering her role as spy. But no, she really was more suited for that. Turning her thoughts back to Tor, she tilted her head inquisitively. Did Tor have the same girl-next-door personality, to go with her look? Phae seemed to think so, by the way the draft had greeted her. Internally Phae shrugged; this was precisely why she was untrusting of mare's. They were so hard to figure out. No wonder Tolio is gay she thought, feeling a pain of...something, deep in her belly. It was an emotion that Phae couldn't quite comprehend, or put a name to, but it was an unwelcome feeling.

She stepped a little closer to Tor; her mischievous flirtatiousness practically oozing out of her. "If you help me.." Phae began demurely, indicating her wings, then perhaps I can find a way to help you". With stallions, normally she would touch them in some way, to center their focus on her in a physical way, and create intimacy. With Tor however..hmmf. It was her size which was causing Phae's flirtatious-strategy the most confusion. Men usually felt empowered and masculine when Phae played-up her feminine lithe form, but she sensed that that would have a disastrously negative effect on a mare who might already have size-issues. Instead, Phae tried to make Tor feel good, in a different way, by appealing to the healing-side of her. Gently she flapped her wings, which caused a single feather to gently fall to the ground. It still looked strange to Phae, to see white feathers, rather than creamy-brown. "I don't know what I would have done with you Tor" She said, subtly emphasizing her words in what would sound like the utmost appreciation for Tor's skills.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Was it her, or was Phaedra acting a touch strangely? Almost... flirtatious. Please tell her she was not being seduced by a lesbian mare. Just... please. Tor could not handle that kind of flirting right now in her state of mind. Phae's emerald eyes certainly were sparkling. But I'm definitely not gay! Tor didn't step back, but inwardly she was certainly fighting the urge to take off from this mare who was certainly checking her out.

Am I pretty? How could I be pretty to this mare and not to Lace? If this mare was gay, maybe she could help her with her boy problems. Or would it be girl problems? Tor didn't know! In fact, she was only confusing herself, as she had quite the habit of doing.

Tor was beginning to fight off the panic attack, even if she hid it extremely well, as Phaedra slowly extended a wing. It was only the name of 'noble Leander' that snapped her back into it. So what if she's lesbian? I'm not going to... make out with her or anything. Relax. She didn't pull herself up to full height. Instead she examined the damage inflicted on the soft white flight appendage. It wasn't too bad of a burn. But why had Leander done this? He was courageous and kind, not terrifying or threatening or a blackmailer. The images didn't fit together, of him saving the baby bird in a burning tree and him trying to burn Phaedra to a crisp.

The smaller mare took a step forward, all sexy vixen while Tor was... tall and draft-like. A hyena next to a fox, it felt like. There was a sudden sense of self-awareness- all the mud in her feathers, all the dirt staining her lower hide she hadn't bothered to wash off.

"Leander did this?" Tor muttered softly as she set to work on the wing, slipping into the flow of the earth around her. The scent of soil suddenly doubled, filled with the sweetness of blossoms and other scents a combination of tangy light and gritty earth. Her mending worked its charm, softly working feathers out, cooing and soothing the irritated pink flesh. The wings were mostly healed anyways- there wasn't much to do.

"Ah, well... it would've healed up soon anyways Phaedra." Tor shifted, a touch uneasily. She was not used to the idea of... being flirted with, especially with a mare! "But how is work for the Gray going? Any interesting news?" Yes, very subtle Tor. Just completely change the subject! What if you hurt her feelings? Oh gods what was she doing?

"."

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Leander did this?

Phae's ears flattened immediately. Why was everyone so quick to believe that she must be lying? Tolio, Faelene, Levi, and now Tor. It was absolutely infuriating. No wonder other mares suffered the abuse of their stallions in silence; it was probably less painful than feeling discredited. As if her injuries weren't all the proof she needed? As the earthy smell filled her nostrils, she sighed with an angry resolve; the proof of her encounter with Leander was now fading - somehow Tor was, what felt like, knitting her flesh back together. Now there was no proof....And if it never happened, could she and Tolio go back to the way things were...? Anger flashed momentarily in her eyes. No. He said he would stand by her, and he failed. Phae did not give second chances.

"Thank you Tor" She said breathily, sultry tones replacing the anger that she had momentarily felt. Phae watched the uneasiness practically falling off of the draft mare as she abruptly changed the subject. Unable to help herself, Phae laughed out loud - a genuinely happy, silvery sort of laugh. Bits of gold dust floated down from the bizarre halo which was still around her ears. After all the accusations she'd received recently about her flirtatious nature, it was a refreshing change to have someone simply be naively awkward. She wasn't manipulative, because she flirted; not the way she was accused of being. Everyone was manipulative, with every word and to every one; if we weren't, we would all say the same things, phrase them the same way, every single time. But we change our tones, our words, the information we're willing to share and how we're willing to share it, by who we're around. That's all Phae did, she was just a little bolder than most. With men anyways, and now with Tor. Besides, who didn't like attention? Really? "Tor, you need to lighten up." She said once she had caught her breath. In order to emphasize this point, she stretched out her now-healed wing towards the mare, extending the longest feather towards her side. Ever so slightly, she meant to run it along the muscle-lines of Tor's shoulder. Barely hard enough to feel, though it usually caused a pleasurable sensation. As she moved away, she laughed again. "Things in the Grey are just fine Tor, thanks for asking." She replied, clearly not wanting to follow Tor's line of conversational-direction. "What I want to know, is something about beautiful you"