the Rift

Alight my heart (Tor)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Flying felt wonderful on this high noon, blue sky day. It couldn’t be described in words to creatures without the ability to claim the skies and drift among clouds as a god. Each thrust was felt in its completeness, tendons flexed and tensed with every downstroke. Midas could spend hours gliding from warm updraft to updraft, simply enjoying the company of whistling wind and moist air. Each moment, so precious to him was now meant to be shared with another. This partner was a fiery creature that had been growing more on his soul by the hour.

Fina.

Much to her annoyance fragile babe body couldn’t handle flying at the same elevation her bonded did, so instead she chose to latch onto his forlock and ride when he took to flying high. They had become fast friends just in the short time of knowing each other. Eventually mortal bodies grew tired and weary; his wings would ache—crying for relief. Tilting downward on an upstroke Midas traced the contours of land below them, he had wanted to show Fina the little fields uptop one of Helovia’s highest points.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

It was a quiet day, the sweet silence that set a mind wandering, relaxed and confident there were no predators near to come quick and attack faster. The air tasted of spring- the snow was long gone from the field at the top of the world round and incredibly wide and vast. Wet earth clung gritty to her feet, but Tor didn't mind, welcoming the small annoyances of the wetter variety that came with the changing of seasons. The ground emitted a light heat that warmed the hooves a touch, the sun soaking into the draft's bones.

And as the tension seeped from her body, her thoughts went twisting through narrow paths, wide corridors, through forests of thoughts and meadows of memories. Here, Lei the Shaman was teaching her, laughing and smiling with her apprentice, there her father was nudging her to her small round feet with a warm smile, and over by that road her family stood waiting for her patiently, ears pricked and their tails twisting in the breeze. And right at the edges of conscious, as always, was the handsome Lace, the one she missed and the one she loved, the one who did not love her back.

But as she went down the roads, he faded to a flicker, visiting her mother was a sad smile of simply missing her, and her little sister nudging her playfully. "Why aren't you here now?" Did her siblings even remember her? Do they miss me? Was Nanook watching her, or was Lei dancing in the stars like the youthful mare she had once been?

Underlying everything in her lonely wanderings was sorrow and regret. For telling Lace of her love, for making these alliances, for breaking her own heart and cutting it into confetti to throw to the winds. She should move on- it had now been at least a week since talking to him in the secret grove shrouded by thick trees.

"I shouldn't love him. It doesn't make sense." Tor's voice gave a slight crack, and her eyes closed remorsefully. It was only then did she notice a shadow flickering in the sunlight, and her brown eyes went upwards to a pegasus soaring. He blocked the light, but there was the faint scent of what she recognized as Midas around him, and she called to him with a welcoming voice she most especially reserved for friends. "Midas!" Maybe he could help her figure out what to do about The Lace Problem.

WE ONLY EXIST IN TERMS OF THIS CONFLICT
In the zone where black and white clash

Resurgere | Wroth
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Dot like fields grew in size, the acreage threatening to swallow everything they saw. New spring grass grew in all directions; it looked sweetly tempting, so sweet that his stomach growled reflexively which forced a hard swallow to tame pangs of hunger. Fina apparently heard the slight rumble and found no humor in physical need; sensitive ears flicked back across skull when she opened her wings and beat them across his cranium before taking to the sky.

His bonded didn’t fancy nibbling on weeds; in fact she took to bringing him bits and pieces of kills in a vain attempt at converting his natural tastes. Each time he had to politely decline with a shake of head and a soft nicker, Fina would puff up and chirp at him in blunt annoyance for not even trying her food. It was funny to watch the little hatching gain ground in life, learning that all creatures were of a different variety.

Smiling with pride and admiration he watched her. Flight was awkward at best; she took on the appearance of an orange with wings and a neck. This infant stage wouldn’t last for long though, already her primary feathers hinted on colors of the dawn, royal purple and red; sometimes the tips would alight with small flames—hinting upon elemental abilities. Such a wondrous creature she was.

"Midas!"

Gaze fell from their elevated position to see a familiar lady resting below. Her ivory patched body a welcoming sight that was greeted with a responding whinny. Riding lower, Midas curved at a backbeat and thrust wings slower now. Limps pedaled in instinctual preparation, reading the lean muscles for impact. Rising up until he very nearly reared midair, the General touched down hindfeet first; and quickly closed his wings allowing body to slice forward in a practiced stop. A little out of breath he called to her while walking to close the distance, “Well met Tor, it lifts heart to see you are well.”

Fina noticed the larger creature that her bonded had responded to by calling out and landing. The bird took a clumsy attempt and very nearly fell over to land upon Midas’s back. Beady blue eyes shot daggers at the strange lady.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

It was Midas! She recognized the faint flare of golden flame silhouetting his massive cream wings, the white patches crisp against his night-black coat. But when had he become a hunchback? Soft brown eyes squinted, trying to make out the detail. It was a bird- a light shade of creamy yellow, slender, wings a hot coal red with flares of purple painting the edges. A small, bone-white beak below two round blue eyes, and an extravagant tail of violet and crimson.

"Midas, when did you find that beautiful bird? And why do you smell of skunk?" Tor laughed, trotting closer. Those massive swan wings set the sodden grass whirling as he settled to the earth, a charming smile on his easy face. The thoughts, the despairing thoughts of the mess with Lace, eased in her mind at the sight of who she already counted as a friend, despite meeting the General only once before. "Ah, Midas. Can I unload a few burdens of worry with you from my shoulders? So much has happened lately..." Tor sighed softly as those unbidden thoughts returned. Yet her heart felt lighter already, not just fretting over problems caused.

Relationships took time to develop. Maybe one day... or maybe he simply wasn't for her.

Resurgere | Wroth
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
He hadn’t known Tor for more than their formal visit near the ocean of his homeland. She had seemed content to offer valuable intel, and happy to visit an old friend. Something seemed different from then and now; Midas siphoned gaze over her frame with kind and quiet concern. Having absent knowledge past revealed facts, he read physical appearance only and took quick note of worry lines that had begun to etch their way along her gentle features.

Yet, his draft company wore a pleasant smile when ebony split in greeting. She came close and responded to him with laughter and a friendly tone that might be better suited had they had been childhood companions, "Midas, when did you find that beautiful bird?" His first thought was to respond with an inner question directed at self, “When was the last time a lady had laughed in his presence?”

It seemed like much time was spent in formal conversation, “I found Fina as an egg during the last few weeks of Frostfall, in this very meadow,” fond gentleness slipped between normally tenured vocals. Muzzle twisted to better see his silent phoenix; she was watching Tor with a steady gaze that lacked the bite it first held—possibly because Tor possessed a naturally soothing tone that had calming effects upon young babes.

Their minds had not yet touched, but already Midas loved his little hatching with a strong fierceness that only fatherhood could match. His spirit seemed irreversibly tied to the creamy orange riding uptop, “She hatched a week ago,” he added with a sigh, not bothering to hide a twinge of pride that happened forth.

She surprised him by openly asking, "Ah, Midas. Can I unload a few burdens of worry with you from my shoulders? So much has happened lately...” apparently something had happened for a maiden he had met only once to desire confiding in one not of blood relation. Midas regarded her with respect and understanding, “Of course, burdens shouldn’t be carried alone—what weights your heart?”

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

Tor just didn't understand. Why did she have to go be so stupid sometimes? Couldn't she have just... waited at least? Hadn't he said the only one he truly loved was Fajira? Fajira the little white demon-dragon? Yes. Yes, that was something he had said. And something about the herd as well. Caring for it. Tending it. Midas had a companion now as well. Could he explain the bond of companionship to her? Perhaps she should seek someone to accompany her travels, to alleviate some of the worry that was a constant pressure on her heart.

"That's wonderful Midas. And you, little bird, are very lucky to have such a kind-hearted stallion to share your time with." Tor finally responded, settling gentle eyes onto the small, violet-edged hatchling.

"It's just... I don't know. It's... problems with a friend. It was stupid and reckless of me. I said I loved him, but I hardly knew him. He didn't say anything back. Now... now I just feel I screwed up our friendship, you know? I don't understand why I had to go say something." Strangely enough, she couldn't recall that sadness. Maybe Lace just wasn't for her. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. "But what do I do now?"

Resurgere | Wroth
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina peered warily at the patched draft horse, she didn’t usually trust strangers…but infant like attention spanned only for minutes at a time in understanding certain situations. Words didn’t meet receptive ears; this hatchling couldn’t speak the language of equines, and since the bonds of intellect had yet to be fashioned she couldn’t read messages from her bonded either.

The tone was what set Tor’s sentence apart; their company had a way of soothing with both eyes and actions. Such a trait was carried by a similar acting bond and wasn’t expected from said large bodied woman.

Quickly the firebird lost interest in said draft. A snappy chirp followed, than small appendages snapped open to take heaven by force. Aqua blue gaze turned attention toward entertainment that would prove more useful. Midas didn’t appear to be in danger, and he seemed perfectly content standing by and idly chatting. A soft whicker followed her movements, and though she knew nothing of what he meant; the sound warmed soul.

Squared face had bowed when Tor offered complement; he grew embarrassed by kind words that spoke her opinion of him. If only all horses thought that of him. Midas glanced toward his companion when Fina took to the sky again; he knew she wouldn’t travel far.

"It's just... I don't know. It's... problems with a friend.”

Respectfully he listened quietly, saying nothing and doing nothing save for a nod or two. Frowning at her distress Midas reached out with stretched muzzle to attempt at brushing velvet across neck in comforting intent. "But what do I do now?" Strangely enough her story sounded like a bad replay of his fears for Ktulu.

It brought up entirely new questions that hadn’t pressed upon mind until now. But this wasn’t about him, it was about her—and she waited for his response to sooth and offer wise word. What wisdom could a soul that had never experienced the pang of denial offer?

Softly Midas said, “This person sounds valuable to you,” pulling away he added, “A friendship such as that shouldn’t be easily broken—talk to him again and repeat the words you just spoke.” Assuring now the ebony stallion said, “I’m sure he will understand…..your honesty will not be rebuked.”

OOC: Sorry, my muse is rocky because the trip is getting near.