the Rift

Psycho [Open]

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

M U R D O C K
If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?

Some say that with age comes maturity and, for many, that was true; whether or not such a phrase applied to Murdock was yet to be known. On the outside, it may appear as though he still had some scrap of sanity that he clung to, but he knew it was all an act. Today, his actions would prove his thoughts true. The sun’s rays shone weakly through an opaque layer of clouds, and the air was frigid and thin. A harsh wind bit into his coat and swept the snow into his eyes, yet still he remained nestled into the powdery snow on the plain.

He was beginning to grow tired of the monotony of the steppe, and he had ventured south with the hopes of discovering a more colourful environment in which to immerse himself. What he was met with was not entirely up to his expectations; however the lush forest that peered above the snow in the distance was about as much a change of scenery as he needed. He didn’t require much to entertain himself with, and in fact he was rather satisfied with what little he had found.

Before him, a small sickly shrub protruded from the fluffy layer of snow. Its branches were bent and weak and it appeared to be one of very few plants that survived in the harsh and cold climate of the north. Taking pity on the poor thing, the stallion had laid himself down upon the blanket of snow to keep the plant company. He watched it silently, noticing how it stiffly swayed in the violent wind and did little to rid its branches of the snow that had accumulated along them. “Poor thing” he sighed, shaking his head in despair. The relentless wind was only pushing more snow about the thin stalk of the shrub, and Murdock felt it was his duty to protect the defenseless plant from the merciless weather.

“Some spring we’re having up here, huh?” he mused, lifting his wings from his sides and propping them up on either side of the leaf-barren shrub. His feathers created a shield that the wind could not pass through, and finally he and his new friend had shelter from the weather. “Kinda cozy in here” he smiled, nudging the slender branches to shake the snow from the twigs. He was a ridiculous sight, to be sure; but being alone for so long had hardly benefitted his state of mind.

"Speak"

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

Downy feathers were extended around him as he lie carelessly upon the snowy grounds, obviously tonguing some foreign language to something unknown and otherwise unseen beneath his extensive wingspan. Chernobyl stood along the tree line, merely watching the stallion as he whispered. It was an odd thing to see and while she hadn’t much care for his species, she was still interested in the thing he had hidden beneath himself. Birdsong was slowly approaching and the warmth that accompanied it was something grand, though she was certainly an admirer of the winter’s cold. Something about the way it made her feel numb and safe kept her longing for the season every year, though she hoped this year was to be different. But only time would tell.

Stepping tentatively from the trees, she drew closer, her body languid and drawn together like a feral cat. However, no predatory moans or hungry utterance of word seemed to be necessary as she closed in on the foolish stallion, still wallowing in the muddy snow. Instead she merely glared at him, black eyes trying to find meaning in his childish display before realizing it was only a small plant that he protected. In his face was an innocence that bewildered her, as if between the two beings a connection existed. She pondered the idea and thought that maybe the plant was sacred or powerful, but upon closer inspection, she realized that it was but a mere weed. At this, she cackled, her leathery voice cracking and rasping with the effort before finally breaking into silence once more.

Have you any reason to infatuate over this small weed or are you truly as daft as I think you are?” Though he words rung heavy with derision, laughter spilled from her stomach like bile before once again falling quiet to listen to whatever delirious babble this stallion would surely speak of. It was this moment of weakness that made her realize just how lonely she had become since her mother’s death, despite the heinous appreciation that came with the closing of the old mare’s eyes. Perhaps these two would make a fine pair anyhow; he agonizing over the welfare of a small plant and she ranting about her mother’s supposedly deserved passing.

After all, what else had the world come to before committing entirely to the insanity of life?

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock shivered slightly as the cold bit at his exposed sides. With his thick feathers no longer guarding his body, his flesh was unprotected from the harsh wind and stinging ice. He continued to fawn over the small shrub, nudging it ever so gently with his velvety nose to rid it of its snowy burden. It must be so hard for such a little plant to survive in such a big world; and all alone, too. He was so absorbed in his task that he hardly noticed the sound of approaching footfalls until a shadow blocked what little sunlight spilled through the clouds.

He looked upwards nervously, staring right into the face of a black mare. A peculiar horn twisted from her forehead, and it appeared to have quite the collection of sharp-pointed thorns sprouting from it. A childish grin split across his face, but he quickly noticed she did not share his good humor. Her black eyes held a dangerous look, and for a moment he was worried that he had found himself in a very bad position. Perhaps he had, but he relaxed slightly as laughter rang out from the unicorn’s mouth. He noticed the harsh judgment in her eyes and the sharpness in her voice, and decided he would not do her the honor of standing to greet her.

From where he lay upon the snow, he frowned slightly as he digested her words. She was clearly mocking him, but he could not decide whether to retaliate with sharp words of his own, or to simply let her have her fun. He settled upon the latter, and leaned towards her ever so slightly with a smile on his face. He was used to playing the fool, and it was a role he had gotten rather good at. “Shh! Don’t want to startle it, do you?” he scolded, curling his feathers protectively about the pathetic shrub. She seemed to be of much harsher manner than he, and though he doubted she would make an attempt at his ‘friend’s’ life, he would not take the chance.

“Now, what brings you out here in the middle of such a storm?” he asked casually, masking the hint of nervousness that laced his voice with a slight cough. Perhaps she was one of those racist stick-heads from the Basin, and if so, he wanted nothing to do with her. Perhaps he was over-thinking things, but there was nothing he hated more than those who held to such narrow-minded views, and if she was here to pick a fight he would sure as hell give her one.

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

His body trembled in the breeze, like a small scared dog and she could not help but wonder how he would feel if they could trade places, trade bodies that were really not all that different. She was no Unicorn Supremacist, though the Basin required her to be. Whatever rules and regulations were asked of her, she would abide by, but she felt no need to inflict pain of either the mental or physical state upon this strange stallion. As queer as he seemed, there were no ill-wishes passed between them, at least not from her perspective. Blackened eyes found those of sparkling light jade and all former notions of insult were abandoned. She wasn’t sure if this was because he was so child-like or if it was because he seemed to be so opposite of her. He longed to save those things dying, despite the fact that all things, actually do die. The tender weed swayed beneath his breath and she glared at it, once again envious of the simple life it would lead. It would sprout and grow and then eventually wither back into the earth from hence it came. What would become of it next spring? Would it grow again, under the warm, comforting rays of the sun? She hoped not, for the simple fact that it would be too easy… it would be as if the thing never froze and expired once again, deemed to forever stare into the spiraling flames of hell just like the rest of them.

The frigid wind began again, blowing against her hide like a wall of ice, seeping into her core and stilling there, corrupting her heart with the cold. Once again, she was transfixed in this state of early disgrace in which silence ensued, despite the stallion’s rather redundant questioning. It was all so unreal, this black titan shielding the small plant. It made her want to scream, to understand how such a creature could care for the useless existence of some disgusting small weed and yet she had never been cared for in her entire life. Abuse and sadness had been dear friends to her in her childhood and she had promised not to look back. But this small reminder of love, no matter how miniscule it was, made her cringe.

Looking away, thoughts began to roil inside her head, as if soundless images from a black and white film had taken over detailed memories that haunted her past. She had replaced voices and faces with a darkness that was ever pressing upon her mind and at times it seemed to consume her. Once again, the leathery tones erupted, only this time they had softened with but a mere sense of dread. “Your… plant shall not be harmed.” Even in the midst of allowing this foolish confession, she smiled, shocked at how strange the words sounded coming from her devilish lips.

I only come to enjoy the cold as winter is my favorite season.” A lie of course. She had come to escape the threatening grasp of the Basin so that she might be able to think about where she had ended up in life and where she now planned to go.

Again she laced her blackened stare upon the stallion, almost hoping that he would admit there was no real care in his heart for this simplistic thing, this dying existence that would not survive the winter chill. And if it did, there was no way it would survive the summer storms that came and drown out all of the impurity in the land. The thought comforted her, for why should this singular sprout deserve more love and devotion than she had been bidden by her own mother?

[ooc: If it’s crappy, I’m so sorry. I’m trying to spit out one last post for the night.]

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

It had been in his own sorry state of loneliness that he had taken to this pitiful plant, and deemed it well deserving of his attention. Truly, he had nowhere to be and nowhere he really wanted to go, so what harm would it do to his non-existent schedule if he were to simply take a break? Despite his mask of innocence, he was never one to concern himself much with the troubles of others, though if there was something he could do to improve their situation it was in his nature to try. And so that was how he found himself curled upon the snow, with his wings sheltering a hopeless symbol of life and an unfamiliar Unicorn standing above him.

He met her gaze with wary reluctance, scrutinizing her dark features as she stared down at him. Thoughtfulness seemed to haunt her sharp features, and she wistfully looked away from him as if disgusted by some aspect of his person. For a moment, her expression seemed to soften in thoughtfulness as she studied the plant and its protector. Was that envy in her eyes? What was it about him and this useless plant that lead her to feel such a thing? No matter how he tried, he found it impossible to read the mixed expressions that briefly flitted across her face, and he decided to simply end his efforts and move on. There was no use in troubling himself over someone else’s thoughts, especially if that someone had greeted him in a less than favourable manner.

Despite his doubtfulness of her nature, he found himself relieved of worry when her softened voice reached his ears. Her leathery voice had, for the most part, lost its mocking rigidity and taunting stiffness. “Hmm, well indeed that is a relief” he replied in a hushed voice, somewhat taken aback by the smile that had curled across her lips. He returned her slight smile with a bright grin of his own, ducking his head below the apex of his wing to shelter his face from the assault of the wind-swept snow.

“Winter’s my favourite season, too! That isn’t why I’m here though. I don’t have much else to do, and wandering is more or less my life. It suits me though; you never know what sort of friends you’ll meet along the way!” he nudged the dark shrub fondly, the sharp edges of its weathered branches scraping against the tender flesh of his nose. “Anyways, who are you?” he asked, somewhat rudely, tipping his head back to look up into her face. He had to admit, having a dark and shadowy stranger with a deadly horn standing above you wasn’t entirely his idea of ‘safety’, but his hind legs had become rather buried in the snow and if he were to stand up then the small shrub would be left unprotected.

(OOC: It's fine <3)

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

It was this suspended moment of bliss that brought her comfort, tracing outlines of shadows along the walls of a small cliff edge a few yards away. She was neither restrained by her oath to the Basin nor bound by whispered promises from her mother’s grave. It was merely the two of them, fussing uselessly over the tender life of one early spring sprig. The thought made her chuckle, her sides quivering from the action, though it was stopped abruptly as the sound was so foreign upon her tongue. She stared down at him now, the naïve Pegasus colored in charcoal, and she wondered about him. She wondered what had brought him here in the midst of some winter storm that was altogether out of place in the new spring warmth; what drove him to snowy ground to protect some innocent plant that he could not guard forever? Was it love or devotion? Insanity?

She couldn’t force herself to ask, so instead she waited mercilessly above him, like some predator gazing down at her prey. But he was not prey to her, he was… A friend? Surely not. He was still but a stranger to her conscious. Whatever existed between them, she knew she could not dwell on simply because she could not return home and speak of their encounter to anyone, or perhaps anything. She never knew what enchanted relics were hidden within the trees and stones of the Basin and she was not about to put that theory to the test, especially after meeting the all-powerful Psyche.

Chernobyl, Aurora Basin Scholar… and does such a wholehearted soul wear a name? Or do you simply come upon whatever the breeze may call you that day…?” The smile was evident at the corners of her lips, finding solace in the futile banter exchanged. If only for a moment, she would indulge him, indulge herself- why not? Was this not a land of freedom? She’d met others who would say otherwise, but they were not in attendance and for once, she could be herself… tend to the curious wonderment that caused her to seek the company of a breed that her new home so passionately despised.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

Murdock shifted under the heavy black gaze that rested upon him. The mare had fixed him with a deep and calculating look, as if staring right into his soul. He briefly wondered why she was still here, why she was still wasting her time with him. Surely she had somewhere better to be, or some task of importance to see to. It was not that he didn't enjoy her company, quite the opposite in fact, but he had never found himself all that interesting and couldn't imagine how anyone else could.

He inclined his head politely, brows rising in curiosity as she presented her name and status. "A scholar?" As he had suspected, she was from the Basin. She did not seem to show any remarkable amount of hatred toward him, however; so he decided that she mustn't be one of the racist unicorns that he had heard so much about. Decidedly relaxed, he leaned into the snow drift casually and smiled lazily up at her. The simplicity of their interaction was a truly enjoyable thing for him, however he could not judge how the mare felt about it.

A faint smile danced upon black lips as he regarded her mischievously. "Occasionally..." he mused thoughtfully in response to her statement, pulling his hind legs up against his body. "Today it would have me known as Murdock, Captain of forgotten lands and explorer of new frontiers". He was not quite so illustrious as he presented himself to be, but perhaps she had already figured that out. She looked to be an intelligent sort of mare, and her title of "Scholar" only served to support that point. In truth, he was but a fugitive soldier; chased from his homeland by vicious assassins.

"What do you study, Oh Scholarly One?" he asked curiously, tipping his head back to meet her shadowy gaze. "The universe? The flora? The art of war? The mind, perhaps?" If she happened to study the mind, he would surely be a fascinating subject to examine. As a young foal, when life had been so simple as chasing shreds of moonlight across glittering snow-scapes, he had dreamt of being something more than a simple soldier. Of course, life in service had treated him well and he couldn't argue with where it had gotten him. But he was sure that the life she lead now was so much more entertaining.

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

The air was shifting suddenly, mulling over them like a hurricane before becoming utterly still. In his presence she felt calm, relaxed even, despite her sense of weariness. Perhaps it was the way that he spoke to her, carefree and timely as if he grew ever younger, fully confident in the ways of the world and how they seemed to involve him. She was envious of this confidence, always finding that she felt lost and unsure of nearly everything around her. Perhaps it was time she started taking notes from loose souls such as his. Looking down at him, she smiled, an ugly expression upon her own face, though it would appear that she was at least trying to make an effort. He was so childish, so naïve, and yet seemingly breath of fresh air. It felt so against her nature, against her oath to the Basin to be here, but perhaps it wouldn’t kill her to enjoy herself for a time. Would it?

She nodded; a scholar she was. Though, she was still learning what exactly such a title meant. Myrddin was trying to teach her the meaning of utilizing her rank, but it was still lost on her as many things seemed to be lately. She was hopeful that Psyche would take her under her figurative wing, teach her how to heal herself in a sense. She longed for power, longed for the confidence to rule, to empower. Could it be something that would destroy her? Would such power bring her to her knees in spite of her fervent desire for glory?

Though, once again, this Murdock came crashing through her fragile walls, forcing her lips to crack in a smile… or perhaps a grimace as it were upon her foul face. "So, Explorer of new frontiers, tell me… what do you value in life? Where would you like to find yourself three or four years down the road? Still exploring, I assume?" The soft chuckle that followed betrayed her feminine side, remaindering even her that she was in fact, still female in all aspects of the term. It seemed that at times she forgot how she was supposed to live, as twisted as she was. There was something always lurking in the shadowy depths of her heart that kept her from living and induced the cruel devils within to come out and play.

"I study everything- I study life, death, war, peace, everything- even you." It was true that she found this stallion to be peculiar, if comforting in such a way that made her feel weak and hugely inappropriate. She pondered exactly what Psyche would say to her if she found her here in his presence. Surely she would be banned from the Basin and that was something that could not happen. She felt as if she belonged there- or would soon belong there in any case.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

He watched the out-of-place smile that crackled upon her black lips as she looked down at him, shifting his wings against the fierce gale that battered his snowy feathers. Once upon a time, Mother would have told him to stay away from such a daunting figure as this mare; now, the danger only drew him in. He felt vulnerable upon the white snow that could so easily be stained red by his blood, yet he was not afraid of the unicorn. The ever-present smile that he wore broadened slightly as her leathery voice reached his ears, and he donned a thoughtful expression as he worked out a response to her rather imposing question.

“Compassion and freedom, darlin’” he answered bluntly, shrugging his shoulders beneath the shelter of his wings. After all, he had fought for those two things, hadn’t he? “I would find myself wearing a crown of stars and ruling the north as a just and righteous king. But, perhaps that is unreasonable…” his voice trailed off thoughtfully as he frowned up at the pale sky. “I would love to have such a prosperous future, but I wish merely to be back at home. And yes, still exploring”. He smiled faintly at the silvery laughter that escaped her throat; seeming so foreign as it spilled from her lips.

Her response to his earlier question solicited an amused chuckle from him, and for once he felt oddly self-concious. “Even me, huh? Want a better view, then?” he asked, finally pulling his hind legs from the snowy blanket as he stood. Despite his change in position, he had not forgotten about the little plant that he had been protecting. Subtly stepping toward her, he positioned himself slightly over top of the plant as his wings folded against his sides. Without his shield of feathers, his face was now at the mercy of the weather and he cringed against the wind.

“I assure you, I’m a fascinating subject to study” he smiled, his voice shifting briefly to a posh accent as he raised his eyebrows. Casually, he looked her up and down, doing a little ‘studying’ of his own. He was pleased to notice that he stood slightly taller than her, but that only put the tip of her menacing horn closer to his throat. Absently he wondered what it would feel like to be gored with that brutal weapon, but quickly he was deterred from the thought. “So, where do you see yourself in three or four years?” he asked prudently, dragging his gaze away from her thorny crown. Surely she had some intriguing aspirations.

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

An unconscious stirring in her stomach alerted the shadow to a foreign emotion, something akin to friendship perhaps? She was unsure of how to cope with the feeling and instead turned her frail head away to fix her loose gaze on a small blossom that had somehow escaped winter’s kiss. It was tinged in brown against the pallid white of its petal. It was a strange thing to see and perhaps it helped her to gain a better understanding of Murdock’s incessant anxiety about his own tender weed. Though, it was hard to avoid him, smooth words of confidence stringing her along, despite her sense of unease in his company. Was it Psyche that had embedded this small seed of worry in the pit of her stomach? Or was it the small thread that kept the shadow in the Pegasus’ presence? Whatever her hesitance, it was quickly overthrown in the male’s final decision to stand against the frozen breeze. He was slightly taller than she and when he stretched his large appendages to encase his slender sides, she was slightly amazed. There was just something about him, something that kept her wanting to know more.

Where is home to you then, oh just and righteous king?” The chuckle that followed seemed a bit more natural this time, as she had grown somewhat fond of his antics. It was in that moment that her thoughts began to churn, twisting and spiraling against the frame of her mind before trying to settle once again in their rightful place. But it would not be so. Instead she remained frazzled, taken aback by the mere image of him. Whatever strange emotions seemed to be broiling beneath the surface were no so easily quelled; despite her desperate attempts to tame them, they simply would not lie still. She stood before him now, clearly exposed and mildly uncomfortable, being that he now stood aloft above her.

On her lips, the words were quick, a mere slip of the tongue that seemed to pass so naturally that she felt at a loss with herself. Her black lips, satin against her yellowed teeth, parted into a playful smirk as condescending as it were upon such languid features. “Fascinating you are…” However, she did not regret this playful nature, this childish part of her that seemed to emerge in his presence. Whatever the cause, she didn’t take much time to delve into its definition, though it seemed that she had taken a liking to this self-proclaimed explorer.

Surprises were now becoming frequent as their banter continued and the minutes seem to spread into hours as smiles and laughter were exchanged. Though, it was not her intention to leave just yet, she was inspired to stay, inspired to learn. “Oh me? I see myself seeking out an explorer to help me investigate new frontiers some years down the road. You wouldn’t happen to know of any… would you?

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

The black stallion let his wings droop to the ground, unfolding gracefully so the tips of his primaries created soft blemishes in the snow. The fabric of his wings encased the small, frost-crowned plant, shielding it with attentive care from the bitter winds of early spring. He did not appear to contemplate her question for long, but responded with perhaps the slightest amount of wistfulness in his drawling tone. “Home is many miles north in a place known as Evendim. I would return immediately if not for the fact that a group of thugs who would have my head await me there,” he fell into a soft, sophisticated accent and tipped his chin, looking down his nose at the mare, “but I shan't bore you with the details, my dear.” He cocked his head and threw her a sardonic smile. It wasn’t as if Helovia wasn’t good enough for him, but there truly was no place that could be regarded as parallel to his true home.

Weak rays of sun shone through the thin, interwoven blanket of clouds, scattering fractions of golden light across the surface of Murdock’s wings and reflecting upon the black sheen of his neck. It offered just the feeblest amount of warmth against the icy breeze, but the stallion drew back a wing so the seedling might benefit from the caress of sunlight. His charcoal hooves sunk into the snow as he shifted, face betraying curiosity as Chernobyl’s voice reached him. He nodded at her compliment and grinned crookedly, “that’s what all the doctors say” he admitted unabashedly, though most of them were referring to his mind rather than physical appearance. The mare who at first had seemed guarded and cautious appeared to be opening up to him, exposing a playful smile like the blossoming of a vigilant flower.

It was true that, borne by his stalwart wings and aberrant mind, he had seen much of the world; at least much which lay in the expanse of earth between Helovia and his birth land. He was a seasoned explorer and a keen fighter, even if his strong legs were the only thing stable about him. The idea that what she said was almost an invitation, an implication that he could see more of the world; a promise that one day, when he was long forgotten, he could return to the place he would always call home, was an uplifting realization. "An explorer, you say? Hmm, I happen to know one quite well..." he mused, a mischievous glint in his eye as he calmly swayed a few steps closer to her "and I'm sure he would be delighted to accompany you" he added with a wink.

He shifted his wings against his slender sides, feathers creating the soft sound of silk unfurling as they moved against his hide. “Where would one such as yourself desire to explore? Anywhere? Everywhere?” he asked animatedly, his face lightening as he imagined the lands beyond Helovia; places untouched by the hooves of equines and unseen by the eyes of any other beasts. He wondered how she would get away with touring the world of Loorien with a Pegasus, what with her being a member of the Basin. Perhaps they would have to move about in the shadows, as a pair of sleuths would when committing a crime. He hated to think that anyone would find the mingling of species a crime, but unfortunately he knew that some held to those views.

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

Home would have been something that she admired, had it not been for the sickly graces of her mother, so sick in her damnation. It was like a fleeting comfort across his face and she watched it appear and fade. It was the thought of missing something long lost or the pain of death. On his face, home looked natural, as if it were meant to be there. But she could not empathize, could not pretend to understand. She did not long to return home and in fact considered Helovia to be a new home of sorts. At time she would remember how her mother (on a good day) would tell her stories about how she had grown up. It was nothing like the twisted fairytale she had provided for her own daughter, but it was something that Chernobyl had insisted she live by… at least at the time. Now it seemed that happily-ever-after’s didn’t exist, at least not in her world.

She often wondered how others could pretend otherwise and sometimes the fantasies made her mad, pushed her to insanity to believe that anyone could be so fooled into thinking that somewhere over the rainbow prince or princess charming would be waiting to take them to some far off kingdom where they would live in happiness and peace. Bu alas, this was never the case. Perhaps she had encountered some dry version of Romeo and Juliet. Though she possessed no love or the capacity for such an emotion, she and Murdock had been split by racial difference… Was this some kind of dictatorship? She had aligned herself closely with the Basin for obvious reasons, such as their dark power and arrogant desire to reign, but at times she felt as if those creatures like Murdock had never seen the face of their empire. If just one of them, those supremacists could spend just a bit of time with her explorer, would they see him in a new light?

She was certain they wouldn’t. They had been bred and born of hate and now they were paying for their flaws. However, that didn’t exclude her. She was just as greedy, just as insolent as those she had decided to call family. And she did! She called them family because they were just as lost and demented as she, but a breath of fresh air wouldn’t kill them. After all, she had found a friend in this Pegasus, as wrong or misleading as it might be. “You could never bore me with your fairytales… you’ve painted such a pretty picture in my head that I would be disappointed if you didn’t finish.

She smiled, lost in the lands of his native youth. Bitter as she was, she thought it okay to dream, okay to desire more than was given. On some level, perhaps one higher than the clouds, she found refuge in this dreamer and his ideas. They inspired her and allowed her to collect a part of her whole that had been left behind. One day she would be able to retrieve all the pieces… and maybe he could help. “In that case, I would be more than delighted to acquire his company. I have many places that I would like to see, many places that have treasures hidden in which we could revel. I suppose all we would need were each other and the desire to find something far greater than this.” She seemed to glance around now, gesturing to the frozen planes of the Arch. There were so many things that she was curious about, including him… he seemed to stir up a part of her mind that was not easily shaken.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

The idleness from lying down for the majority of the morning had set a cold stiffness in Murdock's hind legs, and uncomfortably he shifted his weight in the snow. The wind had begun to die as morning bled into the afternoon, and now weak rays of liquid sunlight spilled through the cloud cover to dance across his inky coat. He cast a considerate gaze upwards, noticing with dull interest the swift change in weather as he had stood talking with the black mare. The morning had been spent in the company of no one but the small plant; a particularly engaging plant nonetheless, yet it hadn't had all that much to say. Now, he was fully entertained with a more literate companion with which to spend his time, and he felt the minutes slip by with the breeze.

Chernobyl had at first approached him with a harsh tone to her voice and a disapproving spark in her black eyes, but now he was pleased to find her relaxing in his presence. Every now and then, between their words, he had noticed a flicker of distress in her eyes. He had wanted to ask, to try to help her if he could, but he knew that such a gesture might only get him in trouble. He had learned that it was usually best to leave others to their problems unless they spoke first. Murdock was an unthreatening creature; it wasn't easy to be frightened by his inviting look and crooked smiles. It could hardly be him that instilled feelings of unease in her mind, but if it was, what about him could possibly throw her off balance?

His mind straying off course, he smiled lazily at her beneath the weak rays of pale sunlight. "Treasure? Hmm, perhaps" his voice drifted off into thoughtfulness as his gaze wandered into the distance. "We could become pirates, or bounty hunters. We could be rich!" There was a genuine and childish excitement in his voice, as if he had never considered the possibility of wealth before. He laughed, the euphoric sound seeming out of place in the harsh landscape. Of course, he couldn't quite figure out the purpose to owning massive hoards of treasure, but surely the black mare would help him figure out what to do with their spoils.

"Ever done much exploring yourself?" he asked in his smooth drawl, raising an eyebrow as he took a few steps closer to her. He kept his body angled in such a way that his seedling would stay protected from the wind that bent the trees and toyed with the snow. Perhaps it was that she was already a weathered traveller with a secret hoard of treasure, and had grown hungry for more wealth; was he just a dupe, a pawn in her plan? Normally, he was a pretty good judge of strangers; however, he could hardly read anything about Chernobyl. It hardly mattered, though. He enjoyed her company, and for now they could relax in the peace of each other's presence. Already, in this short amount of time he had grown to trust her, and figured she wasn't the type to manipulate others for her own gain. Knowing this, he kept his musings to himself, and an expression of excitement on his darkened features. He looked forwards to their expeditions among the hills and dales of Helovia, and wondered what sort of trouble they could get into.

"Speak"

Psilo

Chernobyl

Whatever caused her to move into his touch was something altogether cosmic. His slow approach was so subtle that it was as if she hadn’t cared to notice, but perhaps it was the notion of feeling that encouraged her to brush her muzzle against his own. The blast of uncertainty that followed was grueling and she was quick to retreat, though just as reluctant to make mention of it afterwards. It had been a short thing that probably shocked them both, but something that would not be brought to light despite the queerness of such an event. Whatever friendship existed between them now, she only hoped would exist in the days to come. It wasn’t as if she had come to tell him secrets of her past, but she felt as if one day she could. It was a revelation of sorts that seemed to knock her off her feet and by creating distance between them, she felt safe again, as if she could breath and understand her thoughts and roiling emotions.

That’s not to say, she had fallen head over heels for the lad, just that she had opened herself up to him, allowed him to see her own true colors, as bright as the ones he wore so proudly. However, the sun was warming her skin now and she felt as if she could almost feel the passing of the hours spent by his side. She was afraid to return to the Basin and reveal this new shine to her eyes- a hopeful gleam that was inspired by his naïve carelessness. What would Psyche say, should she find out about this meeting between two opposites? Surely she would retract her earlier offer to promote her through the ranks of power. This seemed to take hold of her heart and clamp down in such a sickening manner that she almost had to gasp for air.

She looked back to Murdock, so kind and unassuming. It was almost a pain for her to turn away from him, utter words that she felt were wrong. But it was part of her duty to the Basin and she would have to oblige or otherwise face the consequences. “I’ve never done any exploring myself my… friend. But I only hope that one day you will be able to teach me how. But, as you know… I must return to The Basin before I’ve damaged any positive relations I’ve made in my short stay. I only hope that I find you again one day, perhaps saving some dying life as you’ve done now.

Little did he know that she hadn’t been talking about the tiny plant beneath his shadow, but her own life as it stood revealed before him.

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz

M U R D O C K

The gentle touch of her velvety muzzle shocked Murdock out of his thoughts, and for a moment he remained frozen in his place. He felt the smooth caress of her foggy breath against his cheek and the warm touch of her skin before she quickly pulled away from him. The air was thick with silence as both stood lost in their own thoughts; neither making any move to acknowledge the event that had passed. His emerald gaze met her dark eyes with the briefest of hesitations, a reassuring smile forming on his lips. Her eyes held a troubled look, as if some shadow of her past was haunting her, but he would not press her on this matter today.

His heart fell as her leathery voice met his ears, making mentions of returning to the Basin, but he would not let her see the disappointment in his eyes. She had considerably brightened his afternoon, and he hoped he had done the same for her. The plant had not been bad company, but certainly someone with a bit of gray matter between the ears makes a far more favourable companion. A smile met his lips, masking the seed of worry that had blossomed in his heart. He feared that their harmless interaction would be damaging to the black mare’s reputation in her herd, if anyone were to find out. It seemed like years had passed since he had known the love and protection of his own fleet and family, and he had lost it all. He didn’t want to see her meet the same fate; especially not when he would be held responsible.

He took a slow step towards her, almost forgetting about the tiny plant as it passed beneath his hooves and drooping wings. His muzzle reached out to gently rest on her neck, returning the touch she’d offered to him moments before. His lips lingered for mere seconds before he pulled away from her, a bright smile returning to his features where it looked so at home. “Worry not, for I shall find you.” He dipped his head, wings folding up against his sides as he backed over the small seedling so that it was once more between his front hooves. Now, he couldn’t decide whether to stay with the small plant, or if it would be best to leave the small shrub to its own devices and move on; surely it was sick of his pointless ramblings. Perhaps it was time for him to head south into the forests, where he could further acquaint himself with parts of the land not yet seen.

Her final words held some foreboding quality as her voice trailed off into silence, but Murdock was far too careless to take any notice of this. For now, they would part ways and continue on with their lives as they had before they had met each other. Murdock would wander where he pleased, and the black mare would return to the Basin where she belonged. He was sure they would soon meet again, to discover new lands and treasures, and explore the far reaches of the province. He could never pass up such an inviting offer, especially when the rewards were so tempting. “Farewell for now, my friend” he smiled, his head sweeping low in a bow before he set off toward the forest, casting a final loving glance to his little plant.

"Speak"

Psilo
ooc| Shall we close this now??

pixel is by RELI<3

Gaz
Sure :)