the Rift

Reporting for Duty [Kri/Open]

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

Aryel (December)
"Wait...what the--"

It was a miracle, at least in her mind, that Aryel had been able to fly after the fight she had gone through. Fuck Crowley, and fuck Dakini, she thought bitterly, flying in a shaky path south to the heart of the Throat. She had been trying to be polite to the arrogant mare, and then that ugly brindle had had to show up and open his ugly mouth and...ugh. While Dakini had been left with some nasty wounds of her own, including a dislocated hipbone, Aryel was suffering from slashes and bruises on her front end and a puncture wound on her side. Thank the gods for that healer in the Meadow, she thought. She was still sore, and exhausted, but without his assistance it might have been impossible for her to make the trip across the peninsula without collapsing from pain.

As the sun began it's downward plunge, after bursts of wobbly flight intermingled with stiff trotting, Aryel had finally caught sight of the Throat. It had given her the strength to finish her flight, searching from the sky for herd members, Kri in particular. The fight had made her realize something, that she relished going up against arrogant and cruel horses and making them suffer. And so the idea of becoming a soldier for the Throat, which had been rolling around in her head for some time, had finally come to fruition.

And there was Kri, a little dot below her. She tilted her wings into a circling descent, landing some distance from her leader. Just as diminutive as Aryel was, Kri nonetheless commanded a certain measure of respect from the blue roan, and not just because she was a higher rank. "Sultana Kri?" she asked, trotting towards her with a lowered head. "May I speak to you for a moment?"

"blah blah blah."

"WHAT IS THIS GYPSY MAGIC SH*T?!"

Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

K R I the R E S O L U T E
it's not the petty imperfections that define us, but the way we hold our hearts.

My eyes had been closed, silent contemplation easing through my mind over the current swing of events. I had no idea if Leander had truly left the Throat, but I hoped that he had, in fact, tucked tail and ran. However, this left me in an awkward position of leading by myself once more. I stood, leg cocked, wings folded lightly upon my back, with thoughts running around in my mind leaving me rather detached from the world. The wind whipping about my body, as it normally was, the only sign that inside my skull raged a storm that had been brewing for several nights.

The flap of feathers and plant of hooves caught my attention, though, and the air slackens around me as I enter a strange sort of calm. Before I even open my eyes, my muscles strengthen and tense, pulling me into a more suitable position. My neck arches gracefully and upon my calm face I tack upon the appearance of a leader. Back into the role I had assumed long ago, a foreign expression becoming all too known to my features. I was not a regal woman, nor was I built to be a leader. I was an ill-spoken soldier, but at least I had the common sense to know how to play this game. After all, for the better of my herd, I would protect them with ever fiber of my being, even if that meant wearing a mask I hated.

The blue roan who approached me was a stranger, at least to me, but I recognized her face from the many who lived within our crimson halls. However, I did not recall the strange spots and glistening halo that floated above her head. Stranger things have happened both here and in Isilme, though, so I kept my mouth shut about the smaller matters. "Please just call me Kri," I say, my voice weary yet strong. I offer a smile to the girl, one that is cracked at the corners from effort that should be absent of such an expression. The girl, whatever she wanted my attention for, was at least a distraction from my woes at the moment. "What is it you need, sister?"

[ooc; I decided I would go ahead and reply. Sorry if I'm slow. XP I'll try to keep up. ]
Venomxbaby, EveLivesey, humblebeez and ali00p

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel (December)
"Wait...what the--"

Aryel nodded as the Sultana requested she not use her title, finding she respected such a modest gesture, as well as the fact that Kri neglected to mention her new markings, which every horse she had met since acquiring them did. Not arrogant at all, she thought, recalling the unicorns met at the Threshold with an irate swish of her tail. She realized Kri might not know her name, being a busy mare in charge of a large herd. "Forgive me, I'm Aryel. I joined your herd in Frostfall. And well, I've been thinking..." She shifted, realizing she wasn't exactly selling herself well. And who would think a horse as short as she could make a good soldier. She had hollow bones, for crying out loud. A little muscle, maybe, but no weight.

"I haven't had any particular job in the herd, but I've thinking about asking for a change of rank." She took a breath. "I'd like to be a soldier. I know I certainly don't look like one, but I'm quick on my feet and a fast learner." And I love fighting, she thought but didn't add, feeling that would be a touch too arrogant. She was feeling the pain from her encounter, all right, but she didn't regret getting into the brawl. Seeing the prideful unicorn swear she would get her one day, her leg held at a painfully wrong angle, had given her a sense of pride she wasn't sure she should have. But what she was sure about was that she wanted to put this foolhardy determination to good use, protecting her home and her herd from those that would seek to harm it.

"blah blah blah."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

it's not the petty imperfections that define us, but the way we hold our hearts.

Try as I might, my eyes kept wandering up toward the shining halo, until the girl began to speak. If being a leader for this long had taught me anything, it was to be polite enough to look at someone while they talked to you. Unfortunately, the mare's eyes were not in the glistening circlet of light hovering above her head, so I would have to settle with her face for now. I try to keep my expression neutral yet friendly, not wanting to see off-putting to this girl. So many others have already told me that my company is less than desirable. "A pleasure, Aryel," I say during her pause, proffering another gruff smile before falling silent for the mare to finish.

She begins to speak of a job, and my lips tug down in a thoughtful sort of frown, dark eyes scouring her interestingly colored frame for any hint of what she might be best at. She was small, but I appeared to be a bit shorter than her. My body was more muscular, but that was not surprising. Most stallions were less muscular than me, and without training in battle, this mare had little chance of matching my own physique. I smile as she says soldier, a genuine expression. I was always happy to hear that another had interest in the art of spilling blood. "We always have room for another solider," I say cheerfully, walking closer to her, more familiar than previously. "Do you have any formal training?"

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel (December)
"Wait...what the--"

Try as she might, Aryel couldn't help but notice how Kri's eyes occasionally flicked from her to the stupid halo. When was that thing going to go away?! Her ears drooped slightly in embarrassment, but she was determined to push on and not let it get to her. At least Kri hadn't verbally mentioned it, although it was obvious she had noticed.

And yet she couldn't help but worry that Kri would simply laugh at her for asking to be a soldier. Her, a short mustang with little muscle and a bad attitude. Kri was short as well, but Aryel could see the marks of a warrior, the corded muscles and bright eyes that denoted her ability.

But it seemed her fears were in vain, as Kri sounded happy to have another fighter in the herd. "Oh, really? That's great!" she said excitedly as Kri said they always had room for warriors. She blinked, realizing that might have seemed a touch overeager. "I mean, thank you." she said, smiling. Her query as to whether or not she had been trained before brought her down from her happiness a little. "Well...No, I haven't." she admitted. If you don't count sneaking off to watch the guards drill and spar, she thought, recalling her adventures as a youngster. That might not really help her case. "But I'm sure there are horses in the Throat who can teach me, right?"

"blah blah blah."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

Aryel was excited, and that only made my rugged grin grow. These were the types of spirits our home was sorely lacking. Passionate hearts that were alive and willing to learn. The light in her face was not just from the circlet of light floating above her head, but radiating from within her. Like a filly getting exactly what they wanted, the same childish delight pours over the mare's face, and I am grateful to have given her the opportunity to feel such joy. "You are welcome, Aryel," I say, still smiling, a bit of a laugh carrying over into my words.

My question seems to have drawn an uncomfortable air in, dimming the light of tangible excitement. Before the mare opens her lips to answer my query, I already know what to expect. She has had no formal training, but the girl looked young and was willing to learn. I keep my smile in place, if only to encourage her that I have not lost my interest in her decision to become one of the soldiers here. Her question does not change my expression, only extends it for a moment before I laugh a bit, reaching out to nudge her shoulder gently. "You should learn the names of our Generals, Azzuen and Midas. They will be happy to train you," I pause then, looking at the short mare at my side, only a tad larger than myself. "I would also be willing to give you a lesson or two."

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel (December)
"Wait...what the--"

Aryel nodded, memorizing the names. "I think I met Midas before, at a herd meet near the end of Frostfall." If she recalled correctly, his pelt was a mix of black and white, with strange pupil-less gold eyes. Azzuen was not as easily remembered, but she would ask around to learn how to recognize him. "I'll ask one of them for a practice spar later." she said. She would rest for a bit, until the soreness from her Threshold fight was gone, but she didn't count on herself waiting long. She had relished the adrenaline rush it had brought, the feeling of her hooves slamming into Dakini's side. She had yet to realize the negative side of war, and for now was simply infatuated with the glory of it.

When Kri offered to give her a lesson herself, she nearly kicked her hooves out in excitement. Getting a lesson from the Sultana herself? That would be something. She would take a beating no doubt, but having the opportunity to watch another small horse fight might give her some ideas on how to overcome her own height-related issues. "That would be nice." she said with a smile. "Whenever you have time, I'll gladly take you up on that."

(Errg, short post. I think all's been said that needs to be said, so should they take their respective leave now?)

"blah blah blah."