the Rift

a dance with dragons, rishima

Jackal2 the King of Thieves Posts: 71
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 ½ :: 3 years
zz

Soft grey eyes, pale and sad underneath this overcast sky, find respite against the ominous dark forest, lingering along each tree, avoiding the blackness which lingers between them. He is here, on the border between his newfound home and this strange misty land, on a duty that had long been neglected. The dun had departed from the lovely green land on a low eastern sun, creeping through the lolling morning shadows like a forbidden lover gone to seek comfort. Spring was still cool, and frost had licked the lush young grass, causing his tender heels to recoil with cold as he shuffles through it. His breath purls into the brisk dawn air, unfurling smoky wings with each breath.

He stands idly where the soft rolling valleys of the Foothills end and the great sentinel pines of the Edge begin, gold-tipped tail flicking placidly and a broad hind hoof cocked with ease. Jackal hopes to be spotted or heard or smelt by the Edge patrol and ushered within their borders; it would be terribly rude to intrude without permission, that much is certain. Somewhere overhead, his mute dragon makes lazy rounds in the nebulous sky like a hawk searching for prey. The appaloosa begins to stir uneasily, joints creaking and complaining from their lack of use. He hopes the clouds will part, and the sun will shine; the cold is beginning to bite into his bones.

[derp, this is short, it's very late D:]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

The cry of a gryphon crashes against the cloudy sky, an eagle's screech into still air. From far below I hear it, and it fills me with a bittersweet symphony of joy and longing and sorrow at the expansive silence that stretches between myself and my companion. I can hear her, but I cannot feel her, cannot close my eyes and see through hers or hear her childish voice resounding like my own thoughts around the cluttered expanse of my mind. I don't know where she is except above, or what it is that has enticed her maturing voice. Is it prey, friend, foe? It makes me nervous, not being able to keep tabs on my wayward charge. Leaves me on edge as I walk the borders of my home and raise my flared nostrils to the aromatic air, seeking the presence of any who ventures into my home.

Foothills. I've been there only a handful of times, but I know the scent, largely because of the way it clung so faintly to Asur, whose memory as the friend I could have had still haunts my lonely thoughts. It's sharp in the dawn air, a misty and woody aroma that carries more openness than the dank scent of the Edge. I step towards it, curious, following the wind and wondering what brought one of our neighbors to our border, so early and so sudden. Since their aid in our invasion they had changed leaders and faded from our familiarity, the alliance between my home and theirs growing faint as we struggled against the outcast unicorns and they against the turmoil within their own herd.

What do they want now?

The colt seems nervous to my dark gaze, so young and so uncertain. I step out of the trees and into his view, a shadow dipped in stardust and sliced by the silver of the moon, softness in the sharp angles of my chiseled expression. The long strides I take make cracking sounds in the spring grass as twigs and new growth snap beneath my solid hooves. To the smaller stallion I nod, stopping a length away, arched neck gleaming with morning dew and curling mist floating out into the atmosphere from the warmth of my interior. "Good morning," I intone, deep and accented voice cutting the empty space between us. As curious as I am to know his motivations for the intrusion, I do not ask. Let him tell me what he will; I will withhold my judgment until then.

Hidden Account
zz

She comes, like darkness personified; every facet of her is the night. For a moment, he studies her before something of a smile begins to tweak at his lips, and he dips his head lightly with respect. She does not demand know his purposes, or his name - she simply is, and greets him with a gentle good morning. Thick mist envelops them, rolling sluggishly over the frostbitten grass like an injured animal. "And a lovely one, at that," he muses lightly, wishing Dei would come down from the grey sky. "I am Jackal, a chief of the Foothills," he says after a moment of deliberation, mercury eyes suddenly serious with the task at hand. Overhead, the dragon swoops down, bronze wings gliding effortlessly over brisk morning air. He chirps cordially to the dark mare before settling on the thick crest of his bonded, jade eyes - a perfect foil to his appaloosa's silver, regarding her curiously. There is a wordless exchange between them, and the stallion nods vaguely.

"Where is the DragonHeart?" he inquires gently, nostrils flaring lightly as he searches her face. Mirage the DragonHeart is well-loved, he knows, with as much lore and mystery about her as the mist-shrouded cliffs of her home. "I wish to speak to her on matters of our herds," a frown plays on his lips - unsure. Why had Evers and Archibald not done this in the moons of their reigns? Allies are very useful things to be had, and tensions sizzle between herds like dry summer grass underneath a thunderhead. He shifts uncomfortably on burgundy forelegs, tail flicking soundlessly as a cold northern wind dances between them.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
I watch him arrive from my perch on the tree. I spend much of my time as a bird lately. I've grown to enjoy flight - I think I understand why pegasus are so prone to rash decisions and haughty natures. The sky is no kind mistress.

There are many things yet to be attended to on the ground however. This stranger only but one of them. So many have come recently to our land, and our numbers are as still as a snowfall river, that I find myself taking on duties more than my rank asks. How can I ignore the strangers in my land when our protectors are few and the earth massive? They are weary, as am I, as we all are. We wish for the heart of the herd to return. The Dragonheart.

Though we are bust horses, she beats in our chests too.

A rustle of leaves and I've melted into the ground below; a black mess. I meld back into myself, whole and hale as ever. I pick my way carefully through the mist, aiming where I assume I will cut the outlander off in his path. I stand for a moment, eyes lidded casually in this fog, but he does not come. I twitch an ear at the low murmur of voices a ways off.

With a lanky stride I glide towards the duo, moving more like my namesake than a hooved animal. I sidle up beside Rishima. I've been seeing a lot of her lately, though it's of no surprise considering her ties to the herd and the Dragonheart. She is the most familiar face to me in this herd and I take comfort in her presence. I can only hope I offer at least as much in return as I provide my silent support before this newcomer. I am interested in him, and just catching the tail end of his words, even more so.

I know little of the other herds as of yet, my attention being consumed by watching over this land and scoping out the Basin. I am excited by this opportunity to meet another, especially a Chief. It causes me to hold my head rather high, my ears sharp as they tilt towards him, eager for knowledge.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

The child is soft-spoken and polite, and it's all I can do to avoid smiling as he declares himself a Chief of the Foothills. So young, the bronze child, so new into this world and yet so responsible. When did he become a chief? What happened to the others, the ones who had been elected but never chose to visit our lands, the three races in their representation? Had they left already? Had this child taken the place of the equine? Mirage had told me of Paladin's electoral system and his desire for representation of all the ranks, equality and such, yadda yadda... all horseshit in my mind, if you'll excuse my language. If you're going to be a leader, it should be for your capabilities, not your blood.

The arrival of a dragon brings her back from her thoughts, and she realizes that she's been staring into the distance, at and through the spotted colt and into the recesses of her mind. "A chief?" I ask, black eyes drifting from the child and over to his dragon - and again, I find myself withing Kali was here. "And how did you rise to this position, Jackal?," I ask gently, wry humor and honest curiosity in my tone. It doesn't matter immensely to me, but it does matter in my assessment of the Foothills and their politics - and the knowledge, like all knowledge, is valuable.

A sudden gust of wind plays roughly with the ivory strands that dangle before my eyes and tickle my cheek. I frown at the boy, and bite my lip. It is good that he doesn't know. The fewer who know of the disadvantages we stand at, the safer we will be. On the other hand, this colt - Jackal - wants to strengthen the ties between our herds. The Foothills have ever been our allies; as allies, do they not deserve to know how plagued we are by the Basin? Indecision plays a faint tune across my brow, but I do not represent it to the world except with the slightest crease of an ear, the flick of a tail. Where is Mirage?

Luckily, I am saved from answering immediately by the arrival of another. Ink's presence is always a welcome one, and now more than ever I feel a wave of fondness for the boy who followed me here. A smile tugs across my lips as I turn to watch my lanky companion, subtly brushing my shoulder against his own in greeting.

Emboldened, I return to the colt. "To answer your question, Chief, Mirage is unfortunately indisposed at this time." Smooth lyrics do not leave space for questions, do not break in the face of my own troubled mind. Mirage. Sister, DragonHeart, leader. I will see you returned.

I don't think I'll much like what comes next. Political affairs have never been my strong suit. "However, as I am something of a stand-in for her-" completely unvalidated by anything or anyone, but whatever "-I would be happy to address your concerns." Almost unconsciously I have pulled myself to full height, a decent bit taller than him, and the edge in my voice holds an authority that is not unfamiliar, simply underused. I am not accustomed to representing others, let alone a whole herd. Do I enjoy the responsibility? No I wouldn't, not really. But the colt doesn't need to know that. He just has to know that I am in control.

Amused by the entire situation, I soften, and smile.

Hidden Account
zz

Black eyes regard him from underneath a curtain of white, swimming with mild curiosity. Unsure of what to make of this moon-touched mare and her question, lips curl into an odd, lopsided smile. His story is nothing but one wonder after another, a small victory against a tide of defeat and cowardice - will he be able to turn his fortune for good? "I defeated Svetlana the Stormchaser," he says, tired, tone devoid of pride. In truth, she had yielded before him, like an apostle kneeling before a terrible red god with cruel silver eyes.
Dei coos softly toward the older mare, flattered by her attention, his jade eyes shining with draconic pride.

Another arrives - a strange inky stallion, no older than himself. His entire being seems cast of ink, tail heavy and dripping with the substance. Jackal offers him a kindly smile and attempts to hide the inquiry in his eyes, instead noticing the fondness between the two swarthy beings. The mare answers his question, and she offers to take the DragonHeart's burden. "Oh?" he says absently, curiosity dancing through his eyes, flat grey beneath a colorless sky. He is quiet for a while, gazing at the black duo placidly. "Evers and Archibald turned a blind eye to alliances," Jackal begins after a moment of hesiation, a hint of bitterness in his tone, "but I intend to strengthen them. I pray that the other leaders have done nothing to revoke it?" the corners of his lips curl upward in amusement, devoid of their former abhorrence. As far as he knew, the brothers had done nothing since their anointing as leaders. His gaze alternates between Rishima and the handsome ink-stained youth.

[derp, sorry this is so short ;__;]

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
Rishima seems to enjoy my presence, which brings a thin smile to my lips, a return to her warm one. Our shoulders brush and the touch quivers down me like a strange thing. I do not often touch. I stay distant from everyone. No no, saying it like that insists I do it on purpose, likely as a defense mechanism to keep myself safe by never letting anyone in. That's believable, and perhaps even a bit true, I'm certainly not soft. Yet it's inaccurate to say it that way.

Everyone keeps me at a distance.

It's a pity the cause isn't some foul odor. A bath would be simple solution in that case. It's a much more difficult matter when you have no friends because of who you are, but you can at least, change yourself. We are changing every moment in every experience already, whether we like it or not. When the issue then is about what you are, well then you're fucked.

I'm a mute, and that I cannot change.
That simple word hangs on me like some forbidden disease and everyone is afraid of catching it. It labels me, defines me, alienates me in ways that you could not know. I am like a dumb woodland creature, watching and doing intricate mating dances that amuse and delight (my artwork), but you do not try to speak to the doe, or the bird, or the squirrel that entertains you in the woods. It cannot talk back, so what's the point?

I am pulled from my inner turmoil by the exchange of politics in front of me. My head shakes, senses snapping back to clarity. I must focus, it is my duty to know and I take pleasure in learning, I've found. Rishima speaks with a bold authority, but it is not a surprise to me. I know very little about her truthfully, so I do not recognize the struggle it is for her to take up the crown in Mirage's absence when it's weight is something she so detests. To me it is natural and expected that she would.

The Jackal in front of us is piqued by this shift in command, but he is good at hiding his thoughts and intentions, if but for a passing gleam in his eye. I grow more interested in him, too accustomed to those that wear themselves freely on their withers it's much more intriguing to find someone that plays the game of thrones discreetly. He is young though (like me), and he hasn't quite mastered the talents of being faceless, try as he might. There is an edge to his words that suggests something more than what they tell our ears. I subconsciously lean forward, as if being closer might enable to me to decipher better, but he has finished speaking and awkwardly I shuffle a step back beside Rishima.

I do not glance at her, my opinion of this affair isn't necessary and I have no extra information on the Foothills to provide - I've been too focused on this herd and the Basin to pay mind to anything else. So I watch, and wait, curiosity written in the tilt of my head.
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Another dark figure separated from the shadows beneath the trees, this one who would prove familiar to the speckled dun. The bond of family lent the grulla mare a bold familiarity as she approached the gathering, inclining her head in greeting to Rishima and Ink before stepping over to her great-nephew and extending her muzzle to him in quiet welcome. She had listened to the conversation as she approached, learning of the young stallion's rise to power.

A soft chuckle escaped her as she stepped back to a more proper position. "Just like a descendant of the Unbroken." She observed in amused tones. Had it been so long ago that Ricochet had taken control of the Oasis, only for her to wrest it from his young and incompetent rule a little while later? Or was it merely an effect of so many things happening that life in the Oasis seemed so distant? Briefly she wondered how much young Jackal took after his uncle, if he held quirks of personality like the rash dunskin along with similar life paths to rise to power so young. But she reminded herself that this was Aerwen's son, that young mare who had taken a path so unlike her brother's. Hers and Silverline's, whom Smoke had respected, back when she was Healer and then Leader of the Oasis, and he Healer of the Tides. Ah, how she missed them. But their son was here, and still had his aunt back in the Foothills when he returned there.

"We have not heard much from the Foothills since I left there." She disclosed in answer to his question, then cast a small glance toward Rishima. There was a hint of an apology there, if the white-marked mare chose to take some small issue with the Wild Rose's interjection into the conversation.

He is not proud of his victory, the little Prince, and I wonder why he doesn't bask in the triumph he has achieved- but I suppose he does not seem like one to bask, this youth. Ink is contemplative and quiet, as always, and seems intent on listening rather than participating through his unique form of conversation. I wonder what goes on beneath his moist pelt, what thoughts swim in that young yet imaginative mind, but perhaps I shall never know. In truth the child is still something of a stranger to me. I have toyed with the idea of asking if I might investigate his soul, but the thought of using my magic seems like a cheat, in a way. He deserves the time it would take for personal relationships to form.

Jackal is bitter, and in the sharpness of his tone I see a fleeting glimpse of the motives that led him to seek leadership so young. There is a strength behind those sliver eyes, I decide, something I can almost relate to - forced to grow too young, to age too quickly. Or perhaps I am projecting myself onto this snowflake child. I return his rueful smile, softness in my eyes; it's true, we've seen nothing of the leaders who took Paladin's mantle, but that doesn't mean they've caused offense. Poor child, left to pick up the pieces left scattered by his elders.

Not child, I kick myself. Stallion.

Smoke's ashy form drifts into our midst, and I am happy to see the mare I would call friend. She seems familiar with Jackal, mentioning heritage; curiously I turn to her. What relationship do these two have, then? She could be an aunt, maybe, although they don't look alike... I itch to ask, but do not. Instead I let Smoke validate Jackal's concerns about his co-leaders disinterest in social bonds, nickering a soft dismissal of her apologetic gaze. Honestly, the help is welcome. I do so loathe authority.

Dark and accented words weave through us, gentle amusement tinted in some amount of strength. "As far as I'm aware, we have had no reason to put aside our alliance with the Foothills." I straighten, and grow more serious, black eyes taking in the spotted colt. "I am grateful you came, though, Jackal." Sincerity, but no elaboration. The words speak for themselves.

Blankly I remember that I still haven't told him my name. I always forget, and it doesn't seem like a good time to bring it up now. I should probably introduce Ink, too. Fuck, but I'm not good at this talking business.

[ ooc || I suck x.x Sorry ]