the Rift

There Are Shadows [Open]

Ailith Posts: 47
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 HH :: 8
Adoptable

No matter what we breed, we are still made of greed
This is my kindom come, this is my kindom come

The world had narrowed beneath her Lavender gaze, everything twisting and turning as if there were nothing concrete, nothing permanent. Everything was temporary and yet long lasting, as if all horrific events seemed to linger while those delightful moments of bliss were as fleeting as a touch. At times she longed for that touch of brilliant serenity and yet no answer relinquished her prayers; prayers to the gods, prayers to herself… Everything was only temporary and she hoped this sense of urgency would come to pass as all other desires to move on. Her heart ached with the familiar thud of unknowing; no answers would comfort her selfish desires of equality, of perfection. What she longed for was something unobtainable, something so far out of reach that it sometimes appeared possible to a girl who held no reservations of the tongue. Through and through, she was an animal of equality and yet one of minimal acceptance of those unlike herself.

However, she was just as curious as she was biased, always wondering why the gods had allowed such abominations to intermingle with the purity of earth. Was this even earth, this land upon which she treads? The muddy ground caked around her hooves, but was it truly the soil of life? The water trickled in a stream nearby, its pungent scent prickling her nose, but was it truly the fountain of youth? Above the birds sang heartless tunes to the willowy treetops, but did their song truly ring in her ears? Or was this some false sense of security, some alternate universe in which she had somehow stumbled upon; somehow pressed through the realms in order to find herself here in Helovia, a land of all species residing. She was sick with the thought, almost pushing herself to believe in such blasphemy until the winter air pressed soft kisses against her lips, reminding her of the reality in which she faced.

Ailith claimed her heart to equality when in fact, she knew no such term. Her thoughts were tainted with dark traces of hatred that extended to the strange creatures from another planet altogether. She pursued the abolishment of all winged and horned equines in such secrecy that one might be fooled into thinking she had proclaimed sainthood, no ill conclusions beseeching such perfect creation. However, it was there, a brewing, dispassionate anger for those so unnatural and unworthy. If only…

Around her, The Threshold was alive with song as the birds continued to call hopelessly to the bare treetops, lifeless in the winter sun. However, the rays beat down upon her back warming her in such a way that it moved from flesh to muscle and then to bone. She was feeling quite restless today and it showed in the flex of her tendons and the strain that caused her back to arch slightly in between strides. If one didn’t take the time to examine her so closely, they might see just how exquisite an animal she was. Her breeding had induced the unnaturally high carriage of her tail and the beautiful arch of her thin neck. When she thought of herself, she thought of perfection, no impurities of her species by sickening obstructions of horn or wing.

Lacing a pretentious gaze upon the trail ahead, she moved closer to the heart of the Threshold, intentionally seating herself at the center in such a way that perhaps made her appear a self-proclaimed ruler. This was her nature as she held no preservations on the topic of her arrogance, her cool aggression making her an admirable adversary should conflict arise. Presently, she had situated herself at the bank of a small stream, simply watching the rolling current as it travelled miles away into some unknown destination. Her reflection looked back at her and she smiled, not so much at her appearance but at the perfect specimen that stared back, completely equine. “Why must they taint us so?” she questioned the porcelain replication, eyes wide in wonderment as if perhaps it might answer her. She stood there for a while, merely staring at the water, lost in reverie and a life some place far away that was not Helovia, whose image was not tainted with fairytales gone wrong.

[W/C: 705]

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>
image by Massimo Valiani @ flickr.com</style>

Only the foolish would hate their kind which is separated by only a few, brilliant features. To loathe oneself bedecked with such beautiful and graceful appendages as wings was foolish, but if only the scant addition of a shining horn, Osiris would question just how idiotic your truly were. There are real monsters out there, making insanity the type to hate their own kind with a few minute additions or lack of them. Still, this world to which he was born was one caked in magic and insanity, both miraculous as it was frightening. To live in times such as these, perhaps one needed be a bit mad, but he was certain that many were taking that necessity to extremes.

The forest was lightening, and the wolf figured he had left the heartland of the trees and was now standing on the outer rim of Helovia. The naked branches of the trees were less heavily laden with snow than in the past few weeks, a sign that winter was coming to a most relieving end. If any creature was fit for cold weather, though, it was the fur covered mutt of an equine. His body was laced with a thick coat, preventing the chill from reaching his skin below. Even the wind, which tore through the empty branches above, was no match for the underlayer of his thick pelt. It was a sorry thing that his companion was born without such clothing, though the internal embers which burned in his belly kept the little black plenty warm. Great clawed paws squish through the mud left behind in the wake of melting snow, the brown liquid clinging to his fur and dirtying the legs. It mattered little; even clean, the wolf was not pleasing to gaze upon.

A screech from above signals the hybrid's attention, his golden eyes closing as he pauses. A mare, the dragon says, hovering above the trees. The violet gaze, much sharper than any hooved beings in the land, propelled forth to bring forth the image of her body. She was pretty, her gaze almost pink, but there was something in her step that Osiris found particularly haughty and annoying. She was directly in his path toward the Foothills, though, and his want to meet with his wolven family was greater than his need to avoid her. Opening golden eyes, the wolf moves onward, a few short minutes before he finds her gazing at her own reflection; vanity at its finest, and how it was disgusting. "Why must they taint us so?" A barking laugh rings from the hybrid's mouth as he tries to circle around her.

"Only children and the insane speak to themselves aloud," he says gruffly, flashes of serrated teeth barely visible under the thick skin of his lips. "Since you are not a child, is it safe to assume you are already tainted by your own demons?" As if she would even know what demons were.
""

Deceased
Adoptable

The approach was quick and it pushed the mare on heels, tension building in taut tendons and expanding outwards, eclipsing muscles and leaving no trace of former passivity. Amethyst eyes narrowed, glazing over in anxious curiosity, unable to explain the bonded pair between creature and dragon that left her listless and perhaps confused. However, the tart remarks ignited an instant dislike of the two, though she was reluctant to fall prey to the affront. She remained quiet, merely quivering on the edge of outburst and self-control, biting her tongue until iron tinged its taste buds. The animal, as she had yet to derive a name for such a monstrosity, was clothed in fur none like her own. The flaxen guard coat reminded her very much of a dog, though his snout was very much horse. Golden, wolfish eyes glared back at her and she withered beneath them, her heart thudding erratically at the sight of him. There was something feral about him that caused her skin to prickle and her breath to come in short gasps, though it appeared he meant no harm physically, if not mentally.

The small black dragon that hovered above seemed to bear down on her, watching and perhaps waiting for any signs of discourse. She felt trapped and this brought an edge to her voice that she had yet to experience in all her years, whether it be from the heinous looking animal that struck her a giant dog or from their sudden approach. “I assume you would know something of the insane, since you speak so knowledgably of such.” It was a quip that she had not intended, though one that parted her thin lips into a smug smile before she shifted casually back onto her haunches, clearly amused by his conversation. If he had suspected her to back down so easily, he was clearly wrong.

Biting back a faint sense of dread, she stepped out from beneath her veil of self-preservation and huffed lightly as if already annoyed by this beast’s childish behavior. She couldn’t help but ponder the fact that he could have avoided her altogether if he had liked, but there must have been something intriguing in her company that had caused him this delay. As she rested hungry eyes upon him once again, she took a moment to drink in his strange breeding. There was nothing that she could imagine that would produce such an abomination, though he seemed ignorant of his differences or altogether careless. He did not possess hooves and instead tread on padded feet, leaving a clear trail of unusual tracks in the muddy snow. She didn’t even want to inquire of other features that aligned him so closely to the pack animals that wandered through Helovia from time to time, in fact, she was determined to ignore the problem altogether.

Demons, I have not. Though perhaps you’ve encountered such to inhabit such a bitter disposition. If you’ve something humorous to share, then by all means, take the stage. If not, I’ve no interest in your company.” Her contempt was obvious and sickly belittling, though she had never done such before. Something about him spoke to a darkness inside that was not often shared, though dormant until called upon. The wintry air blew around them, attempting to ease the tension that had grown thick and unruly like a thorn bush in the spring. Silence ensued, carrying with it a sense of fear that nested deep in her stomach. As always she knew in the back of her mind, fight… or flight.

Osiris Posts: 88
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3hh :: 13.
Comadre :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Boom Boom!

osiris</style>                                                      even holding on tight won't save us this time.</style>
image by Massimo Valiani @ flickr.com</style>

He would have laughed at her attempt to cut him down, but instead her stopped his slow gait, tilting a head to her slowly, purposefully. Her fear was impressive, but boring, and the wolf could have moaned in desolation at such unfavorable company. The way she skittered and fled away from him, turning to stare at him feverishly with the same instinctual fear crawling around those magenta eyes was all too expected, but the sigh on the cusp of falling out into the air remains still in his chest, and only Comadre soaring above hears it. To deal with her, it seemed, would be very tiring to say the least.

Yet, the more the wolf thought about it, the more he had to admit that she was correct. Oblivion had been mad, had he not? There was the crazed look in his eyes as he stood in the cold waters of Isilme, bleeding out of every god forsaken pore and still having the dignity to speak of war, to speak of victory. He was callous, manipulative, but he was a brilliant machine when put into action, the pale white skull leading his way through unfriendly waters and toward his goals. The great wolf, while more naturally terrifying without need of adornments, was the opposite. He shifted away from the light of glory, did not seek out his passions, fell into the shadows of others and was driven... like a dog. Was that not what Oblivion's underlings had been called? Dogs? Never was there a more fitting being than Osiris to hold such a name.

A gruff, serious look dwells on her face for moments. "I spent far too long fulfilling the wishes of the mad," he says, quite matter-of-factly and without shame. If she had expected him to bow so easily to her, she had been wrong and, frankly, stupid. The way she had cowered from an peaceful, yet mouthy, approach was obviously stupid. Even as the girl gives up in a huff, pushing herself forward from the position she had taken, nearly sitting on her ass in surprise and fear of a creature who would sooner profess his love than take to injuring the innocent, he becomes aware this meeting is futile. She hated him, already, without knowing much about the mysterious hybrid other than the fact that he was ugly.

You're not ugly, Osiris, Comadre says even as he comes to land on the wolf's shoulder, head snaking around in a toothy grin. A laugh is stopped short as Osiris gleefully looks at his bonded, his voice muttering quietly so that the bitch in the forest wouldn't hear. "What would a reptile know of beauty?" Still, the beast leaves a serrated smile for his bonded as well, fully aware that the pair is being heavily judged by a pair of pink eyes. Her words spring forth next, and with a tired sigh, the hybrid turns his head back to her.

"An arrogant wretch like you is the one with a sour disposition," he says quite frankly, before beginning to walk forward again, paws sloshing in the mud as he moves. "You were only in my path, and I thought I should comment on your precarious habit to speak to yourself." Moving past her quite easily, almost quietly, were it not for the repugnant sound of mud being squished under his feet. Glancing over his shoulder, in time with Comadre, Osiris gives her a sarcastic smile. "Others would try to manipulate a loon instead of warning them to keep their mouths shut."
""

Deceased
Adoptable

Upon thin lips did a smile appear, it was a soft thing that looked heavily out of place on her face, but it was an involuntary reaction to the heat of the beast. Mixed emotions kept her dazed, while curiosity stoked her reluctance to see him go. While she held reservations towards the strange appearance of the animal, she had many questions. For a moment, she glanced around unsure of how to amend the damage already done. Lavender eyes found those of gold and remained there, silently wishing for a moment more of his time. Though, stubborn tradition would tell that no such words of apology would stir the current tension created between the two. Two parts of the whole fell on separate floors, one wooden and one tile. The wood had given way and cracked beneath the weight of her loneliness while the tile remained unscathed as ever.

As he turned to go, the silence he left was immense and without any real thought behind the word, she spoke quietly, “Wait…” No harmony followed the request, though she wished one had. If panic were an expression she knew how to express, it may have possessed her features like a veil of darkness, but instead only blandness remained. “I do have a tendency to speak while absent of company as I’ve no one in with which to share my words.” The small moment of defeat beckoned to an aggression inside her gut, one that admonished her for such weakness while turning around and around until it had twisted painfully.

The creature’s wicked smile does nothing to soothe the unease brewing below her chest and if time allowed, she would have taken the words back, hidden them away until he had passed like all the others whereupon she might share them with herself, a loon in all respects. Though, her insanity did not derive from her independence, but rather from the forced nature of such. Turning away once more, she allows him to go, as he was certainly not amused by her antics, if such behavior could be named by the term. The warmth of the sun beats down upon her back, a golden light illuminating the sand-colored coat she had inherited by her mother.

This is not the end, she reminds herself, trying to compensate for the loss of yet another heart due to her guarded aggressions. Then she looks once more to the ebony dragon perched atop the creature’s shoulder as they recede, leaving her behind and she wishes for such a bond. The idea only consumes her as she smiles halfheartedly at their previous interaction, both entrenched in one another as if lovers. Whatever love felt like, she was envious of the emotion and of the bonded animal and dragon that had left her altogether speechless in their arrival and departure.

[OOC: So sorry about the wait x.X]

Deceased
Adoptable
-Bump to first page-

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
-Bump again- This is open again if anyone would like to post. <3

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex

.M A N D R A K E.
i am your nightmare

"Are you, perhaps, interested in a homeland?" My voice is effortlessly cool and emotionless voice queried of the mare as I appeared out of the shadows like some sort of black demon. I tilted my head, narrowed my chilling stone eyes as I watched the mare coldly. Mares I did not like, but as much as I despised recruiting a bunch of idiots, the Foothills needed horses. So I came prowling to the Threshold, my body slinking and undulating, mimicking that of a jaguar even when I came not in that feline form. Eternal pain on this mare, I do hope, for letting me see her instead of having me pass by unknowing. For I must come and I must recruit, and she is the first I lay cold eyes upon, and so I will drag her to the Foothills, whether through soft sweet tones or hard lies, I care not. The Foothills will one day be a wonderful empire she would only dream of joining, and so she would enjoy our rise to power, even if she was small in comparison to my power.

"I can offer you one better than any other, one where the mountains shelter us and the grass grows green. We accept any, regardless of race, but you, my dear, I think will enjoy our glorious rise." My voice is a slippery thing, a slight touch oily until I adjust it. "I live in the Windtossed Foothills." I hope she is a fighter, for that is the only way for a mare to gain my respect. Respect, not adoration or love or some other weak emotion. I do not like mares.

Deceased
Adoptable

A haggard thing, she was, brimming at the edges like some elegant bird, priming its feathers despite the lack of any real beauty. She smiled in spite of herself at the mare’s “humble” approach; it seemed so out of place after the dog and his dragon departed. Though she seemed neither friendly nor inviting, Ailith was careful to allow her presence on the stage. She was more than eager to be rid of the bitter Threshold, with its careless residents… It seemed that she was not so well received by her audience and she was more than ready to welcome any homestead at this point. “He spoke not of homely wishes my friend, though I do desire a place to rest my head at night.” The thought made her weary with a longing to rest her not only her head, but her eyes as well. Looking back at the trail that had taken the wolfish creature and his companion out of sight, she wondered where exactly he might be headed. He surely hadn’t enjoyed her own presence, taking her for a fool despite her obvious effort to overcome his strange breeding. Species was a curious thing to her, which was why she felt comfortable merely in the company of her own kind. This ill-mannered mare would suffice in her equine appearance, even if her personality was nothing to die for.

Glorious rise? Rise to what exactly? With so many intermingling breeds, she wasn’t sure that rising was in the Foothills’ agenda. She scowled for a moment, turning her head away as if something else entirely had drawn her attentions. A sick feeling welled up in her stomach and she was forced to ignore the bile that rose into her throat. She had wanted to rise, yes, but not in the hands of Unicorns and Pegasus. But, she had no time to be picky after such a trying day wallowing around the waste of the claiming grounds.

Please tell me how such relationships work between all races, surely there is conflict somewhere…” After all, how could one claim alliance with another so totally and uncompromisingly different? She looked back to the old mare now, clearly aware of her battle scared hide and the distant look of savagery in her eyes. She was no rebellious youth, at least not anymore, which led Ailith to believe that she had once lived in the moment as some kind of Amazonian war tyrant. What had made her that way? She was tempted to ask, but the solemn look in the other mare’s eyes warned her against it.

The Foothills… Ailith hoped that she could find solace within their ranks, but she was surely uncertain about that due to the rising complication of her racial values. It seemed that it made it harder to cope with so much restraint, but it was also something that could not be put out. It was a fire that laced the inside of her stomach and burned hopelessly there until, at times, she lashed out against those who deserved no existence on such a perfect earth. Again she found herself staring at the path that had steered the hybrid away from her, one that allowed him to leave her here, alone. Is this what her values would bring her? Would they bring her the loneliness and another incident much like today? He had left with nothing but a mere devilish smirk upon his face after insulting her for indulging in her own selfish chant. His timing couldn’t have been more, well, untimely. She hadn’t wanted to see him go and yet she had been the cause of it because she had resolutions against his name, his creation.

For this, she was determined not to let another opportunity slide through her fingers, like a slim piece of lace that was meant for her own veneration. This time, she would bend over backwards to impress this mare so that she would have the chance to change her outlook, her way of life. She knew it would not be easy because she held so much reservation towards those inbred creatures who possessed wing or horn, but she would try. Isn’t that worthy of a gold star? “To be witness of any such uprising would be my pleasure, though, I have yet to thank such a saint for the revival of my downfall… does she possess a name?

In light of her decision to be more accepting, she still couldn’t help the sense of humor that helped more than anything to brighten such a dark day.

[ooc; Sorry if there are a lot of mistakes in this, my medicine makes me super loopy. 0.o]

-bump-

Mandrake Posts: 53
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 15
Alex
(sorry, I will try to get a post up to this tomorrow! :O Sorry it's been so long!!!)

It's fine. :)